• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anwar Saga - how it affects singapore

boobiieee

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the latest extract from the saga across our borders

==============================================
By David Chance and Jalil Hamid

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's best known opposition politician Anwar Ibrahim is to be charged with sodomy on Thursday, potentially derailing his return to parliament and his plans to push the government out of office.

Anwar, who had hoped to win a parliamentary seat at a by-election on August 26, denies allegations he had sex with a male aide and says they are aimed at derailing his political comeback in which he has promised economic reforms.

Malaysian police said in a statement issued on Wednesday that prosecutors had decided to prosecute Anwar for "carnal intercourse against the order of nature".

A 23-year-old man has said that Anwar, 60, had sex with him on several occasions, something which is illegal in Malaysia. If found guilty, Anwar could spend up to 20 years in jail, effectively ending his political ambitions.

"I will be charged with sodomy," Anwar told Reuters.

"This is a lie," he told a press conference after the summons was issued. "The government's institutions are being used and clearly the decision was made under the personal directive of the prime minister."

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, however, rejected Anwar's accusations.

"How could I insist that he be charged. If there is no evidence, the police are not stupid to charge. It is up to them to decide," he told reporters.

News of the court appearance came just an hour after Malaysia's Election Commission set a date for a by-election in a parliamentary constituency vacated by Anwar's wife.

Anwar, who was once deputy prime minister, has only been allowed to seek elected office since April after he was barred from parliament in 1999 following convictions for corruption and sodomy.

The latter conviction was overturned, but he served a jail term until 2004 on the corruption charge.

CAMPAIGN TO CONTINUE

Anwar said that regardless of the prosecution he would stand in the by-election, which would be a step towards leading the opposition coalition in a parliamentary vote in which he is seeking to oust the UMNO-led government by Sept 16.

"Whether I am denied bail or not, the campaign will continue," Anwar said.

Anwar won the seat, Permatang Pauh seat in the northern state of Penang, in 1995 with a 20,000 majority when he stood as a government candidate.

"At this moment, Anwar has the upper hand in the campaign as everyone expects him to win," said James Chin, professor of political science at Monash University Malaysia Campus. "But the Barisan strategy is to throw as much dirt as possible during the campaign, so that even if he wins, he will win with some tainted allegations."

In elections in March, the opposition alliance won power in five of Malaysia's 13 states and deprived the government of its traditional two-thirds majority in parliament, due in part to popular anger over rising prices.

Anwar has said he is sure he can get 30 MPs from the ruling party to support his move to become prime minister in a confidence vote he wants to force next month.

Government ministers have also come under pressure this week, with a leading UMNO politician this week lodging a complaint with the country's anti-corruption agency saying Prime Minister Abdullah and his deputy Najib Razak had misused government funds.

The prospect of political instability in Malaysia, whose economy is slowing, has unsettled investors who fear both UMNO and Anwar's coalition will pursue populist policies to win power.

Malaysia's key stock index has fallen almost 22 percent this year and the Anwar summons weighed on sentiment, with the market gaining only 0.4 percent on Wednesday, compared with a 3.6 percent rise in the Philippines and 1.4 percent in Thailand.

"We believe that a transition of sorts has begun (in Malaysia), but it is unclear how quickly things will change, or even the degree of change that will take place," said James McCormack of Fitch Ratings in an emailed response to a question.

boobiieee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno about you guys, but I am a bit not thrilled but the developing saga over the border. With Malaysia govt in such an unstable state, I wonder how it will affect us, their immediate neighbours.

Bros, any views on this ? Whether Singapore benefits from all this political turmoil in Malaysia or is it deterimental ?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Anwar becomes the Prime Minister of Malaysia, it will not be good for Singapore. I remember that during the similar incident in 1998, Monster Munch Lee not onlt defended Dr M's decision to whack Anwar, he even "empathised" that Dr M was disappointed that Anwar was a homo.

So Anwar won't be so friendly as Badawi is now to Singapore (other than the petrol restriction).

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
In politics there is no permanent fren or foe.......... MM was carrying Mahababi's balls. Yes Anwar in power would be dangerous for Singapore as much as Najib whose father murdered many Chinese Malaysians......... remember May 13 Riot. Syed Hamid's father also has blood in his hands.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
In politics there is no permanent fren or foe.......... MM was carrying Mahababi's balls. Yes Anwar in power would be dangerous for Singapore as much as Najib whose father murdered many Chinese Malaysians......... remember May 13 Riot. Syed Hamid's father also has blood in his hands.

Glad to see you here. As for Najib, he has less teeth than his father. He is only good at doing blow job on women he has sex with.

boywonder86

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Anwar becomes the Prime Minister of Malaysia, it will not be good for Singapore. I remember that during the similar incident in 1998, Monster Munch Lee not onlt defended Dr M's decision to whack Anwar, he even "empathised" that Dr M was disappointed that Anwar was a homo.

So Anwar won't be so friendly as Badawi is now to Singapore (other than the petrol restriction).

That's why we as a people must draw clear distinctions between the PAP's stand and affiliations and our very own.

We, as a people, have no quarrel with Anwar, nor our Malaysian neighbours.

Besides, it's external events like these that will have it's own effect onto our own political climate here. It will influence and make people see things back home in a different light.

Who says the government is on your side??

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me what appears even more interesting is that the latest charges proferred against Anwar suggest consensual buggery. I await Saiful's probable yarn:biggrin:

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anwar will thrash his opponent by the widest margin possible in any democracy. People from the ruling party will defect, in numbers large enough for Anwar to form the next government. Whatever charge/judgement on Anwar will be dropped/overturned.

Anwar is known as the Renaissance Man.

Singapore will face stiff competition from Malaysia in terms of economy, relevance and world attention.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mahathir loved/loves to use Singapore as punching bag, but he's harmless. It's part of his wayang. Pak Lah is ok with Singapore, but he's weak and has no power base, which means he cant carry out any important policy decisions even if he wanted to. Najib is a spoilt kid of past royalty, has a strong support base of sycophants and parasites, and is probably the most corrupt of all top Umno leaders. Anwar may have been once a part of the system, but having been a victim of that system, he would do better for Malaysia, and he's no threat to Singapore. In fact, he probably more Chinese-friendly and d evelopment oriented than Najib and gang.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anwar will thrash his opponent by the widest margin possible in any democracy. People from the ruling party will defect, in numbers large enough for Anwar to form the next government. Whatever charge/judgement on Anwar will be dropped/overturned.

Anwar is known as the Renaissance Man.

Singapore will face stiff competition from Malaysia in terms of economy, relevance and world attention.

On the surface it may appear to be so. But in fact, Anwar running the country would open up more opportunities for Singaporeans and Singaporean companies that have been staying out since Pak Lah took charge. Anwar would probably be a stronger PM who can control the Malays and their idiosyncrasic ways. Malaysia is literally a goldmine if you know how to find your way in. As you rightly pointed out, Malaysia would probably become more competitive economically under Anwar, but then that's country-to-country. You too can make heaps of money -- by being in Malaysia.

locky2ky

Alfrescian
Loyal
if anwar becomes the pm it could be better for singaporean businessmen but tougher for the miw. he seeems pro-business but rather strong-headed and would not be pushed around by the miw.

gravure

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rumour has it that Anwar is a lackey of the USA. So if he really becomes PM in Malaysia, what are the plans for USA for Malaysia? Does this mean that the USA companies will be more welcome in Malaysia and get tax free status? Will then all the RHQs in Singapore move to Malaysia to enjoy lower costs and tax breaks?

The relationship Anwar has with the USA is more worrying to me than Anwar's relationship with Singapore.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i like malaysia politics more than HK drama now, lots of twist and turns, lots of unexpected events; Lots of unsolve events, like the missing PI, the murder of the mongolian girl...I am hoping that they can held a Malaysia version of Oscar ceremony, awards must include, Best director, best screen writer, best actor, best supporting actor and actress... Wow, i just hope there will be a sequence to the 2nd part...