• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ah Meng Censured by the Law Society! Banzai!

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Solicitors vote to unseat Law Society president

The Law Society yesterday passed a historic vote of no confidence in its president for his remarks backing Beijing's recent white paper on Hong Kong.

A no-confidence motion in Ambrose Lam San-keung was passed by a wide margin, with 2,392 votes for and 1,478 against.

The rules of the Law Society do not state that a president must resign if a vote of no confidence is passed.

"Tonight there's no winner or loser for the Law Society," a stony-faced Lam said after the meeting, without indicating whether or not he would resign.

"All along I felt this was an internal matter for the Law Society and I have kept a low profile on this ... I hope we can stay united," he said as he got into his car surrounded by journalists.

He repeated the call for unity in a later statement.

The Law Society members who initiated yesterday's vote fought back tears as they announced their victory.

Kevin Yam Kin-fung, one of the three who tabled the motion of no confidence, said: "We have witnessed one of the most unexpected results in the history of Hong Kong professional bodies.

"But this is not a time for celebration. It is a time for relief, but also a time for sadness and vigilance. Sadness over the grotesque political interference by outside machinery throughout the process despite this being an internal matter."

He urged Lam to respect the result and step down.

It was the first time the 9,000-strong society had met to debate a motion of no confidence against a president.

Lam has been under fire since June when, speaking on behalf of the society, he expressed support for Beijing's controversial white paper, which is seen as a threat to Hong Kong's judicial independence.

The white paper referred to judges as "administrators" and said they had to be "patriotic".

Some 1,800 barristers and solicitors marched in protest against the document.

A second resolution called on the Law Society to issue a statement that the rule of law and judicial independence are Hong Kong's core values and should not be undermined by the white paper. The motion was passed by 2,747 votes in favour and 1,186 against.

A third one that asked Lam to withdraw his statements on the white paper was also passed, with 2,574 votes for and 1,367 against.

About 1,000 solicitors showed up at Southorn Stadium in Wan Chai, where the meeting was held. The remainder of the ballots were proxy votes.

Those who turned up included five past presidents of the society: Huen Wong, Junius Ho Kwan-yiu, Ambrose Lau Hon-chuen, Roderick Woo Bun and Donald Yap. Ho and Lau said they would vote in favour of Lam.

More than 10 members from each camp spoke during the hour-long, closed-door meeting but Lam remained silent.

There had been complaints from solicitors that they received calls from clients with mainland links indicating a preference for Lam to prevail. Lawyers in some firms were asked to give the meeting's chairman proxy ballots to vote in favour of Lam.

The results showed that the majority of the proxy votes were against Lam.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...e-no-confidence-law-society-chief-ambrose-lam

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Solicitors step up pressure on Law Society president Ambrose Lam
They call for Law Society president to quit after no-confidence vote and urge review of rules

The president of the Law Society should resign and a review should be launched into the rules governing the professional body, solicitors say, after members delivered an unprecedented no-confidence vote against him.

The lawyers said it was high time to take a fresh look at the group's rule book, given the lack of a mechanism to oust president Ambrose Lam San-keung despite the wide margin in the vote.

The calls came a day after Lam saw 2,392 votes support and 1,478 oppose the resolution of no-confidence in him at a historic meeting of the society.

Former society president Junius Ho Kwan-yiu, now a council member, said on radio yesterday: "My personal view is, if I was the president facing such a demand, I would make a wise decision. The Law Society belongs to everyone and not to me. There's no need for me to stay."

Since Thursday's meeting, Lam has not indicated if he would step down. Neither he nor the two vice-presidents, Stephen Hung Wan-shun and Thomas So Shiu-tsung, could be reached for comment yesterday.

Lam drew flak after he voiced support in June for Beijing's contentious white paper on Hong Kong while the society's council was still deciding on its response to the document. Many lawyers said the paper threatened the city's judicial independence.

The council will next meet on Tuesday. Ho said he would be out of town but suggested the council follow up on another resolution that was passed, which asked Lam to withdraw his statements on the white paper.

The 9,000-strong society is governed by a memorandum and articles that do not require the president to resign in case of a no-confidence vote. If he does step down, the council of 20 senior members will elect a new president among themselves behind closed doors.

Priscilla Choy Ka-ling, one of three solicitors who initiated the vote, called for a review of the memorandum.

Any council election should be open to all members of the society, she said, and proxy votes replaced by postal ballots.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice echoed former chief justice Andrew Li Kwok-nang's comments, published on Thursday, that the white paper had a "translation issue" in categorising judges among those "who administrate Hong Kong".

The department said that while the white paper did not suggest the judiciary was part of the executive, "the use of a more appropriate word would have avoided misunderstanding".

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ep-pressure-law-society-president-ambrose-lam

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't go there. They were castrated long time ago. The shining example of that debacle stands tall and proud in the form of Subhas. Supposed to be a freedom fighter in the Law. Society. Committee. Teo Soh Lung despite her youth fought a bruising battle with old man with Barker who was chairing the session failing to intervene. Subhas is now a PAP member helping with election campaigns and sucking dick with Lionel.

And they fought over the muzzling of the press with lee laws to be introduced. They lost the battle and we lost our country.

How is our law society?
Are they made quiet?

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
As far as I am aware Ah Meng did not resign, but insisted on staying till end of term. Ah Meng's "crime" is greater in that he sanctioned Wong Siew Hong's contempts of court. Banzai! Uniquely Sinkapoor!

Lam had said Beijing's controversial white paper on Hong Kong was a 'positive document' and called Communist Party 'great'

Law Society president Ambrose Lam San-keung announced on Tuesday that he will resign following controversy over his positive response to Beijing’s white paper on Hong Kong.

The announcement came after solicitors passed a motion of no confidence in Lam last Thursday at an historic meeting of the 9,000-strong society.

It was the first time the society had debated a motion of no confidence against a president.

Before the society’s council met at 1pm on Tuesday, Lam confirmed that he will tender his resignation with immediate effect.

“This may be the last time I see you as president of the Law Society,” he said. “In order to maintain the unity of the Law Society, I’d like to keep a low profile. In order to maintain the solidarity of the Law Society, I will tender my resignation to the council with immediate effect.

“Even though I will not be seeing you as president in future, if there’s any chance for me to express views on any matters of public concern, I will pertinently express my view,” Lam added.

Council member Angela Lee confirmed this afternoon that Stephen Hung Wan-shun, one of two current vice-presidents, has been elected as the society's new president.

Lam drew criticism after he voiced support in June for Beijing’s contentious white paper on Hong Kong while the society’s council was still deciding on its response to the document.

The paper categorised judges as among those “who administrate Hong Kong” and stated that they should be “patriotic”. Many lawyers said it threatened the city’s judicial independence.

Lam, a partner in the law firm Lam, Lee & Lai, also described the Communist Party as “great” in a radio interview – without informing the society’s council beforehand.

“His remarks really took us by surprise,” a council member said last week.

Eyebrows were further raised over what some termed Lam’s “chameleon-like” change of attitude towards the Occupy Central democracy movement.

As the newly elected president, he told journalists at a media gathering in June last year that he would contact organisers of the group “to see what legal assistance they would need”.

The group plans to mobilise 10,000 protesters to block streets in Central if the government’s plan for the 2017 chief executive election does not guarantee voters a genuine choice between candidates.

It was a lawyer’s duty, Lam declared, to protect the legal rights of others.

But at another media gathering he called four months later, Lam said there were no legal grounds for civil disobedience and said the notion of “peaceful violence” was just “beautiful rhetoric”.

Ahead of last week’s vote some solicitors complained that they received calls from clients with mainland links indicating a preference that Lam be backed.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ent-ambrose-lam-resigns-following-historic-no

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides expressing important political views in his capacity as president of Law Society which has not yet been sanctioned by its members beforehand, this bugger also got into trouble because of his bad attitude, like that Screw Bola ... ... ...

[video=youtube;kN5hqOFsxi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5hqOFsxi4[/video]

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm an AliBaBa, but the English subtitles allows me to follow what is happening :biggrin:

[video=youtube;DbILsX-R_MA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbILsX-R_MA[/video]