• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 Excellent Essays on Amy Cheong inicdent - worth airing and discussion.

bertaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's a third angle seen from a Malay.. http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.sg/2012/10/is-amy-cheongs-ignorance-failure-in-our.html

But our system is a hotbed for ignorance to flourish -

Here are some examples of our system where ignorance can flourish.

1. SAP Schools -

2. SAF's Malayphobia -

3. Stereotyping Malays as lazy - Minorities need to speak up for their rights

Effect of "exemption" from NS for Malays in the 1960s and 70s -

First of all, let's clear up some misconception. The Malays were NEVER exempted. They were just not called up. But legally, they were still liable.

To add insult to injury, when these young Malays in the 1960s and 1970s could not find jobs and loafed around the streets, they were called "lazy".

Social Impact of "exemption" of NS for Malays on the generations after -

The saddest part for Malay Community about this totally unjustified non-calling up of NS by the racist PAPpy govt is that it did not just affect the Malay youth of the 1960s and 1970s. The effect carried down the generations thereafter.

By the time Malay youths were getting called up in the 1980s, the biggest and juiciest part of the economic boom was over. We had the first economic crisis in 1985. We had another in the 1990s - and another more crippling one the last decade, which we are still trying to get out from.

Stock Boom Years -

Alas, again when the Malays thought they have "caught up", the prices rose out of their reach - all because of the discriminatory practice of not calling up Malays for NS in the 1960s and 1970s!

4. Harping on "race riots" of the 1960s - The Sg govt keeps harping the race riots of the 60s, implicitly blaming the Malay community. However, I have discussed this topic before as well. If one were to study the history of our riots, there were more Chinese based riots against the govt of the day instigated by Chinese than race riots. Why then this harping of race riots instigated by Malays? History of Riots in Singapore - LKY's racist version has to be stopped

The above are four examples of how the govt has created an environment which allows ignorance (in this case, against the Malays) to flourish.

Conclusion -

In all probability, Amy's tirade began with her ignorance about another's culture. But that is half the story. The other half is that we are in a society that actually allows such ignorance to flourish.

So is Amy Cheong's ignorance a sign that our system to integrate races and culture has failed?

Perhaps it is time the higher ups did something about the system and not just sacking people from their jobs as a damage control measure.

Singapore version of Dr Mahathir's Malay Dilemma?

bertaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I grew up in a chap lau flat. Most of my neighbours were Cheena families who were relocated from deepest swamp or swa and don't speak a word of Malay. They tell their spawns not to play or sit near Huanna/Mengkali kids for fear of headlice. These hicks form a substantial majority compared to educated Chinese or Peranakan in Singapore that LKY rode this demographic to get into power.

Hey, I also grew up in a chap lau flat. We could be long lost neighbours!!

bertaka

Alfrescian
Loyal
3613_4823268424078_2066907101_n.jpg

Written by: Andrew Pereira

Racists Stereotypes were perpetuated in 1980s textbooks in Singapore!

Is the MOE to be blamed? Most definitely. :mad:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro, for finding the book and giving us snippets..

It is available in our NLB.

3613_4823268424078_2066907101_n.jpg

Written by: Andrew Pereira

Racists Stereotypes were perpetuated in 1980s textbooks in Singapore!

According to the authors of the book Constructing Singapore: Elitism, Ethnicity and the National Building Project by Michael Barr and Zlatko Skrbis, stated that English textbooks in the 80s transmitted and reinforced racial stereotypes.

Source
Barr, M. D., & Skrbis̆, Z. (2008). Constructing Singapore: Elitism, Ethnicity and the Nation-Building Project: NIAS.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's about racial harmony, our strength

From Jennifer Lam Lai Leng04:45 AM Oct 16, 2012 Today Voices

I come from a country where racism is common, where ministers are allowed to call a certain race "comers" and remark that these "comers could go back to where they (their ancestors) came from".These remarks are directed at third-generation Malaysian citizens and not new immigrants. Nothing is done by the authorities despite public outcry. Some may not agree, but I applaud the swift action taken by the National Trades Union Congress with regard to Ms Amy Cheong.It sent a clear, stern message that we live in a multi-racial community and must be sensitive to other races, not only because it is courteous but also because it affects our nation's strength.Not many Singaporeans may have lived in a country plagued by racial issues that cause unrest. I have been there, done that and I am proud to be Singaporean now.I love my country for its stability, the opportunity to grow regardless of skin colour, the efficient justice system and everything else. For this little red dot to stand tall, we must be united.*There is only one race, the human race.