• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona have faced nothing like Juventus - Lippi

marcello-lippi_1pzjegz5agbus1gcrpd5mu8m9g.jpg

By Romeo Agresti
Jun 5, 2015 09:05:00

EXCLUSIVE: The former Bianconeri boss insists the Spanish champions will have to be on their guard on Saturday as they come up against a new challenge in Juve

Juventus' 1996 Champions League-winning coach Marcello Lippi believes the Bianconeri will present Barcelona with their toughest tactical proposition in some time when the two sides meet in the 2015 final in Berlin on Saturday.

Lippi, who also led Italy to World Cup glory in 2006, has told Goal that the Serie A champions have qualities that Barca have yet to face under Luis Enrique, making them something of an unknown quantity to the Catalans.

"These are the best two teams in Europe this season, but when a team gets to this point in a continental competition there are no certainties," explained Lippi. "In my opinion, Luis Enrique and his side have not faced a team so compact, sturdy and so willing to defend as Juventus.

"But the Bianconeri also know how to counter-attack with speed when they regain possession, and this could be a factor in how the game turns out. Barcelona are favourites, of course, but I don't think it will be as easy for them as many seem to think.

"The Catalans have Martians in their attack in Lionel Messi, Neymar and Luis Suarez, and that will make life very complicated for Allegri. But Juve are organised and tough, and we mustn't forget that Buffon is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. I expect a more balanced game than most seem to think it will be."

The 67-year-old added that he sees something in this Juve side that he has seen somewhere before.

"This Juve is growing similarly to my side back in the 1990s, first in Italy and then in Europe. Perhaps before long they will find themselves winning the Club World Cup just as we won the Intercontinental Cup in 1996. I would be delighted if Allegri were to win the trophy. I am not envious as they are all feelings I experienced and they are intoxicating."

And Lippi agrees that Juve have shown a flexibility in their Champions League campaign which bodes well ahead of the final.

"I have no doubt about it, just look at the things we've seen from this side. In Dortmund, for example, Juventus really took the initiative, showing superiority and a real awareness of their potential. Then against Madrid they got on top in the home leg, and while they were forced to suffer a little in the return that is normal for any side at the Bernabeu. They could even have won that game when you consider some of the chances they created.

"After three league titles, Allegri has come in and really added something. He has removed any anxieties from the squad and they have grown tactically. They now play in two different shapes without any transitional issues. This I how huge teams function.

"Luis Enrique has had a similar impact at Barcelona, and has got the best out of Suarez, Neymar and Messi while at the same time they recognise that he is the leader. We all know how the Blaugrana play, the way they use the ball so well and are hard to break down, but they have never faced a team like Juventus, who are so willing to defend so Messi and company will find it difficult

"Juve, though, must believe in themselves and take advantage of Barca's weaknesses. They must not be in awe of the opposition, and remember that all of the pressure is on Barcelona. I expect Juve to be tactically astute, and in 90 minutes anything can happen."

The former Napoli and Inter boss, who had two separate spells in charge of both Juve and the Italian national side, insists there is no set way to prepare for a final.

"Everyone has their own way to prepare for such an event. The important thing is to be focused on the goal, on the field. In a final you have to expect that there will be slight deviations to the general rules, but the only important thing is the result."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi doesn't scare us - Morata

alvaro-morata-inter-juventus-serie-a_1l0ov99zn00i91e5zeqqbj4asv.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Jun 5, 2015 12:18:00

The Juventus striker insists that, while his team-mates have a great deal of respect for the Argentine, they are not worried about the thought of facing him in Berlin

Alvaro Morata says the prospect of facing Lionel Messi in the Champions League final does not scare him and his Juventus team-mates.

The Bianconeri face Barcelona on Saturday in the European showpiece at the Olympiastadion in Berlin and, while Morata accepts that Messi is one of the world’s greatest players, he insists there is no fear in the Turin side's dressing room.

"He does not scare us, other things in life scare me," Morata told Marca. "We all respect Messi and he is one of the best players in the world. He and Cristiano Ronaldo are above everyone else, but we have a great defence that he has to negotiate."

The former Real Madrid striker admits his previous spell with Real Madrid makes the match-up with Barcelona an even greater event.

"I would be lying if I said it is not a special motivation. I grew up at Real Madrid and played their a long time. I have many friends there and a Juventus victory would make both camps happy."

Morata came on as a substitute in Madrid's final victory in 2014, and he says the experience is one he would love to repeat.

"Our team is very motivated. We know it is a Champions League final and we could make football history by winning. Playing a Champions League final is a special feeling. We know it will be very difficult to win because we face a team that is in great form and I think we will have to play a great game to win.

"They have a great team. We have a chance to win, but they are the favourites."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

'I knew immediately I would miss dream final' - Chiellini

giorgio-chiellini-juventus-serie-a-18042015_1k25pv7g18rg41j2k4x09qouos.jpg

By Kris Voakes
Jun 5, 2015 13:29:35

The defender will miss Saturday's showdown with Barcelona with a calf injury, admitting that it would have been impossible for him to recover in time

Giorgio Chiellini has admitted that he knew his dream of playing in the Champions League final would be snatched away from him as soon as he broke down in training on Thursday.

The Juventus defender was set to line up against Barcelona in Saturday’s showpiece, but suffered a calf injury two days ahead of the tournament decider in Berlin.

“I immediately realised the importance of the injury," Chiellini wrote on Twitter. "I hoped to be wrong or to be able to recover in record time as I have already done other times, but this time it was really impossible.

“Playing the Champions League final is a dream that me and millions of children have had, but sometimes destiny is weird.”

However, the Italy international was quick to send a rallying cry to his team-mates and the Juve supporters across the world.

“Juventus is made of great men and players, I’m sure my team will fight more on the field than ever," the 30-year-old added. "They will show the world the grit, the strength and the determination I would have put into this final and all together we will be able to achieve this dream.

“My friends, I will be with you tomorrow to cheer and suffer for the one and only goal… Win this cup!!!”

Chiellini was an ever-present in Juve’s run to the Champions League final.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bonucci: Juventus not in Berlin to be Barcelona's 'victims'

leonardo-bonucci-serie-a-team-of-the-season_1ahvcti31fyf91xkznbuil7eak.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 5, 2015 16:51:08

The Italy international says that the Biaconeri are a "great team" too and insists that they can cope with the loss of fellow defender Giorgio Chiellini

Leonardo Bonucci has conceded that Juventus are "one step below" Barcelona - but warned that Massimiliano Allegri's men have no intention of being the Blaugrana's latest "victims" in Saturday's Champions League battle.

The Italians have already completed a domestic double and disposed of last year's winners Real Madrid in the last four yet are considered rank outsiders going into their meeting with Luis Enrique's star-studded side in Berlin.

Indeed, just like Juve, Barca are bidding for a treble and few pundits are giving the Bianconeri much chance of shutting down 'MSN', particularly with defender Giorgio Chiellini having been ruled out with a calf injury.

However, Bonucci says that Juventus have gone from strength to strength since seeing off Borussia Dortmund in the last 16 with a dominant 3-0 win at Signal Iduna Park and claims that the Italian champions' offensive capabilities should not be underestimated.

"This game cannot be summarised as Barcelona's attack against a strong Juventus defence," the centre-half told reporters on Friday.

"Barcelona are not only strong in attack; they only conceded 20 goals in the league so they're strong at the back as well.

"The game will be won and lost in midfield, that's where you'll see the technical skills.

"We're going to put on a strong display as a team as we did against Borussia Dortmund.

"That was a turning point for us. That's when we realised we're a great team, and that's why we're here.

"We got here knowing we're one step below Barcelona but it's a final, one game, so differences will be reduced.

"It will be up to us, all 11 of us, to fight for every ball. We're not here to be victims."

Bonucci also argued that in Andrea Barzagli, Juve have a world-class replacement for the injured Chiellini.

"Losing Giorgio is significant, not just on the pitch but in the dressing room," the Italy international added.

"He'll be here supporting us but his character and determination would have been important for us.

"But, on the other hand, Italian teams traditionally make the best of difficult situations.

"Also, Barzagli is one of the best defenders in the world. He's very strong, particularly in one-on-ones, and there's very few like him in the world.

"We come here knowing we're a good team and we're going to do our best to win; we'd dedicate the win to Giorgio."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon: Juventus have a chance against Barcelona

gianluigi-buffon-juventus-champions-league_1qc6yh6whoiwg1bdrqv14wjdzg.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 5, 2015 17:48:47

The Italy international has acknowledged the Catalans' awesome attacking arsenal but pointed out that the Bianconeri have great players too

Gianluigi Buffon has insisted that while Barcelona are the clear favourites to prevail in Saturday's Champions League final, his Juventus side "have a chance" of causing an upset.

The Bianconeri were dumped out at the group stage last season and little was expected of the Old Lady this season, particularly after the shock departure of influential coach Antonio Conte and subsequent arrival of Massimiliano Allegri as his replacement.

However, Juve stunned Real Madrid in this year's semi-finals and Buffon believes that they can spring another surprise in Berlin, even though the goalkeeper concedes that Barcelona's star-studded line-up will take some stopping.

"In a one-off final, quality on the pitch will determine the outcome," the Italy icon told reporters on Friday. "As I've been saying for the past week, objectively Barcelona are the favourites because they have great individuals with great skills.

"It's only fair to say a team with players like [Lionel] Messi, [Luis] Suarez and Neymar, and [Andres] Iniesta in midfield, are the favourites – of course they are when they're lucky enough to have players like that.

"However, when you meet a team like Juventus with [Carlos] Tevez, [Paul] Pogba, [Claudio] Marchisio, [Leonardo] Bonucci etc, we're not scapegoats – we have a chance."

Buffon was in between the sticks the last time Juve made the final, in 2003, when the Bianconeri were agonisingly beaten on penalties by fellow Italians AC Milan.

As a result, the 37-year-old World Cup winner has since been driven by the desire to lift the most prestigious trophy that has thus far eluded him.

"This has been a target that I've pursued over the last few years with my team-mates and the club," Buffon added.

"Probably we didn't think that this would be a good year, or the ideal year, for us to reach the final – most importantly a great change because we have a new manager.

"We thought it would take two or three years for us to reach the final. We've achieved this objective before that, which is a pleasant but very nice surprise – and we're very happy about it."

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri: Barcelona have weaknesses

massimilianoallegri-cropped_1ssgjm1qw3b7e1tbfobyi4fuzk.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 5, 2015 18:42:57

The Bianconeri boss insists Luis Enrique's star-studded side have their "faults" but admitted that the Old Lady has lost a great player in Giorgio Chiellini

Massimiliano Allegri is adamant that "second favourites" Juventus can exploit Barcelona's "weaknesses" in Saturday's Champions League final.

Both sides are bidding to complete a treble in Berlin but the Bianconeri are considered clear underdogs on account of their opponents stellar attacking trio of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar, who have racked up a record-breaking 120 goals between this season.

However, Allegri insists that he is not solely concentrating on shutting down Barca's forward line, claiming that Juve fully intend to exploit the Catalans' deficiencies elsewhere.

"We need to be good against a great team but, like all teams, they do have faults – and weaknesses," he told reporters on Friday.

"How do you stop Barcelona? We need to think how to score. We need to be technically skilled because they're a technical team and attack is their best weapon so we need to be very, very good at that.

"We must stay concentrated for 90 minutes. We need to be mentally strong and turn things around, because we're second favourites to Barcelona.

"But the team is very calm and focused. It should be a great game; as with all Champions League finals, we'll need some luck, and we’ll need to work for that."

Juve's cause has not been aided by the withdrawal of Giorgio Chiellini, who had been set to partner Leonardo Bonucci at the back but has instead been ruled out by a calf problem.

Allegri admitted that the withdrawal came as a bitter blow but he is nonetheless confident given his faith in his defensive cover.

"We're very sorry for what happened to Chiellini but I guess it was meant to be," the former AC Milan boss stated.

"We lost a player who had been great for us since the start of the season.

"[Andrea] Barzagli and [Angelo] Ogbonna are both fit; if Barzagli feels okay he's going to play, otherwise it's Ogbonna."

Allegri also pointed out that defeat would not be a disaster for Juve, given that they are appearing in their first final since their 2003 penalty shootout yet now look poised to reclaim their once regular place among Europe's elite.

"We started this season with an important objective – to get to the quarter-finals," he added.

"Now we've got to the final, and we have to be first.

"But regardless of the outcome tomorrow, we've had an extraordinary season; apart from the league title and the 10th Coppa Italia, which had been missing for 20 years, we have to consider the consolidation of the team.

"This is important because it's important to build some momentum in Europe.

"But of the two teams will win a treble in Berlin, either Juventus or Barcelona. Hopefully us."

Vidal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neymar: I used to play as Buffon on my Playstation

neymar-barcelona_3snzvg6fmtmc1gma09i1k35df.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Jun 5, 2015 20:12:27

The Brazilian believes the Italy international is one of the greatest goalkeepers in history but is desperate to realise his European Cup "dream"

Barcelona forward Neymar has revealed he used to play as Gianluigi Buffon on his Playstation ahead of Saturday's Champions League final against Juventus.

The Brazilian has combined with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez for 120 goals already this season and the 23-year-old is confident they can fire the Blaugrana to victory in Berlin.

However, Neymar admits they will have their work cut out in beating Buffon.

"Leo and Luis are two extraordinary players, with extremely high quality," the Selecao skipper told reporters on Friday. "The main factor is our friendship on and off the field – we're very good friends and that helps a lot.

"I hope we can finish our season, come out of the stadium feeling very happy after all the hard work we've done this season with the team. I'm quite confident we can be victorious.

"But Juventus are a great team, a fantastic team – that's why they're in the final. We know it's going to be a great, but very difficult match, particularly as Buffon is a great goalkeeper, one of the best in football's history.

"I used to use my Playstation to play as him! I'm a great fan – but I would love to score a goal against him."

Indeed, Neymar, who joined Barca from Santos two years ago, says he has been waiting his whole life for the chance to play on the biggest stage in club football.

"The trophy is closer and closer," the striker added. "It's a final I've dreamed so much about – this is the best moment of my life. I hope that I can kiss the trophy tomorrow.

"I've played many finals but this is the most important one in my career to date. It's the most important match in my life and that's why I'm going to give me very best. It's been my dream since I was a child and I hope I'm going to enjoy the match.

"This is a dream, a childhood dream – I've been waiting for this since I was six or seven years old. Now the time has come and I hope to enjoy this dream along with my team – to win a Champions League final."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique challenges Barcelona's 'unique generation'

luisenrique-cropped_103ajl683mleb1xmo83okf3qoh.jpg

Nicholas McGee
Jun 5, 2015 21:14:46

The club could become the first team two in two trebles if they win Saturday's Champions League final

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has challenged his "unique set of players" to rise to the occasion and create history by winning Saturday's Champions League final against Juventus.

No club in European football has won the treble twice, but Luis Enrique's men could achieve just that at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.

In a quirk of fate, Massimiliano Allegri's Juve are also in the hunt for a treble this season to add another fascinating sub-plot to the biggest game in club football.

Speaking at his pre-match media conference, Luis Enrique said: "We've got where we set out to and now we hope to leave an important mark in the club's history.

"I think we will have more possession; we hope to spend more time in their half. We’ll have to play at a high level, it's going to be a difficult match.

"Juve have a very similar style to ours, they also need the ball. They're very good in defence, they're very resourceful and that's why they're in the same position as us – they can win the treble too. We'll have to see what happens.

"We've scored lots of goals in the Champions League but we know finals are very different; there's a lot of tension so we'll have to block that out.

"We know that throughout the match we'll find a Juve who wants to have the ball and they're going to pressure us. Who will win depends on who adapts better to those situations.

"We have a unique set of players, a unique generation given the number of trophies Barcelona have won. I hope we see a great final, an open fun game – that would be great for football, and the one who wins would be the better side.

"I don't think we can compare what we have and the other doesn't – we're both here in the final and can write history for our clubs.

"Each team has its own identity, its virtues and weak points. I think this is going to be one of the best matches you can watch – the champions of Italy and Spain. It's going to be a spectacle of football."

Suarez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus 1-3 Barcelona: Suarez, Rakitic & Neymar deliver Champions League glory

1489802_heroa.jpg

Jun 6, 2015 21:44:00

The Spanish side opened the scoring after just four minutes, with Alvaro Morata equalising in the second half before the Uruguayan and the Brazilian secured the win

Barcelona completed a trophy treble in Luis Enrique's debut season in charge as they beat Juventus 3-1 in the Champions League final in Berlin on Saturday.

Luis Suarez produced his most crucial contribution of his short career at Camp Nou when he restored Barca's lead 22 minutes from time to effectively settle the game, after Alvaro Morata had cancelled out Ivan Rakitic's early opener.

A fifth European title looked set to be a more routine ask when Rakitic - the man to perform so capably in replacing the soon-to-depart Xavi this term - opened the scoring in the fourth minute with a trademark Barca goal, which saw nine of their 10 outfield players touch the ball.

However, while Barca enjoyed the better of the first half from there - threatening a Juve back line shorn of Giorgio Chiellini through injury - former Real Madrid man Morata struck early in the second period.

Having scored twice in the two-legged semi-final against his former club, Morata was afforded a simple finish after Marc-Andre ter Stegen had saved an initial effort from Carlos Tevez.

Suarez was the only Barca man not involved in Rakitic's opener, but the Uruguayan provided the crucial touch in his side's second, as he replicated Morata's finish when Lionel Messi's effort was spilled by Gianluigi Buffon.

Neymar had a header disallowed, via a handball, as Barca sought to put the game out of sight late on.

But it proved inconsequential in the end, as the Brazilian added a third with the last touch of the match to ensure that Luis Enrique's side repeated the treble-winning achievement of Pep Guardiola's Barca in his debut season of 2008-09.

The victory also provided Xavi with a successful send-off to his career with the Catalan giants before he joins Qatari club Al Saad.

European success continues to elude Juve, meanwhile, with the Serie A side coming up short in their attempt to win the continent's most prized trophy for the first time since 1996 and their own treble bid.

Barca could barely have hoped for a better start, as Rakitic opened the scoring in style in the fourth minute when he was the beneficiary of a spell of neat passing play that bore all the Spanish giants' familiar hallmarks.

Following Messi's raking pass out to Jordi Alba, Neymar slipped the ball in to Andres Iniesta. He in turn found Rakitic who finished past Buffon from inside the six-yard box to spark wild celebrations on the Barca bench.

The goal came somewhat out of the blue, with Juve having begun on the front foot. And, having fallen behind, the Italians then saw Arturo Vidal display an uncharacteristic lack of composure, as the Chilean smashed a shot over after a great run from Morata.

The Liga champions began to apply further pressure, and Buffon kept out Dani Alves' effort with a superb strong, left-handed save. Vidal was then overzealous in his tackling and narrowly escaped a second early yellow card for crashing into Neymar.

Juve had half-hearted penalty appeals turned away following claims of a foul by Alba on Paul Pogba midway through the half but Barca were largely controlled in possession, apparently content to take the pace out of the game.

The threat of Messi, Neymar and Suarez continued to prove a real menace on the break and the latter twice went close to extending the lead with long-range strikes prior to half-time.

Buffon was handed a let-off when he inexplicably gave the ball away to Neymar deep in his own half but he displayed his vast experience to keep Suarez out again early in the second half after a rapid Barca breakaway.

Barca were hauled level when Morata pounced on Ter Stegen's save after 55 minutes to get Juve back into the game.

Claudio Marchisio's deft backheel helped Tevez into a shooting position and, when the Barca goalkeeper kept that effort at bay, Morata followed up to tap the ball into an empty net.

With Juve buoyed, Tevez and Pogba both went close, but their momentum was abruptly halted by Suarez's close-range finish, coming at a time when the Italian champions were enjoying their most threatening spell.

A trademark dribble from Messi was followed up by a strike that Buffon could not hold, allowing Suarez to tap home his most important Barca goal.

Neymar looked to have wrapped up victory with a header soon after, but the official on the byline spotted his header had deflected off a hand.

Barca legend Xavi was then introduced for his swansong at the expense of long-time midfield companion Iniesta.

It could also prove to be Andrea Pirlo's final Juve game, with the midfield maestro unable to conjure up any late moments of magic before Barca sealed victory when Neymar scored with the final touch of the match following a quick break.

It completed a season many in Catalunya would not have believed possible when Luis Enrique took over from Gerardo Martino in May 2014, and then saw his position questioned following rocky results and a public disagreement with Messi at the turn of the year.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus 1-3 Barcelona: Ivan Rakitic, Luis Suarez and Neymar seal fourth Champions League win in a decade as Catalans clinch treble

• All of Barca's outfield players were involved in a breathtaking move which saw Rakitic score in the fourth minute
  • From the left, Neymar found Iniesta in the box, the Spaniard unselfishly squared it and Rakitic finished with aplomb
  • With Barcelona playing football from another planet, Juve levelled from nowhere through Alvaro Morata in the 55th minute
  • Marchisio's clever backheel set Lichtsteiner free; the Swiss crossed for Tevez who saw his shot saved by Ter Stegen
  • But there was Morata, who had scored in both legs of the semi-final against Real Madrid, and the Spaniard slotted home
  • Luis Suarez restored Barca's lead 13 minutes later by finishing off a counter-attack by pouncing on a loose ball
  • Messi broke from the half-way line, Juventus backed off and the Argentine's shot was parried by Buffon into his path
  • Neymar had a goal ruled out, the ball bouncing off his head then his hand and into the net
  • But the Brazilian found the net with the last kick of the game to make it five European Cup wins for Barcelona
  • Xavi came on for Iniesta for his final appearance for the club and lifted the Champions League trophy for the fourth time
By Oliver Holt For The Mail On Sunday
Published: 20:49 GMT, 6 June 2015 | Updated: 01:42 GMT, 7 June 2015

Twelve minutes from the end of an enthralling, unrelenting Champions League final, two Barcelona legends stood on the touchline and embraced. Andres Iniesta jogged to the touchline, took off the captain’s armband and wrapped it meticulously around the upper arm of Xavi, his replacement. Then Iniesta shoved Xavi out into battle for one last time.

Barcelona’s fans, massed in the giant curve behind the goal to the right, let out a great roar. They understood this moment of symbolism better than anybody. The best team of our generation was saying goodbye to one era and ushering in another in the same instant.

Xavi, their heart and soul through the magical Pep Guardiola years, will leave for Al Sadd in Qatar in the summer and others will follow him away from the Nou Camp. But the greatness will live on. Barcelona proved that. This is a new team now, a team still capable of breathtaking football that can make your heart sing but a team that can be tough and pragmatic, too. A team who know how to win.

Of course, they were beautiful to watch here in the Olympic Stadium as they beat Juventus 3-1 to win their fifth European Cup, joining Bayern Munich and Liverpool in the number of their triumphs. But this was a game they won with guts as well as guile. Juventus made sure of that.

2968FF4D00000578-3113812-image-a-24_1433625344988.jpg

Following his last outing in the competition, Xavi hoists the European Cup aloft for the fourth time to end his unparalleled Barcelona career

29691B2700000578-3113812-image-a-38_1433626329691.jpg

Lionel Messi beams after another virtuoso performance in a Champions League final put Barca on course for a richly-deserved victory

29691EC800000578-3113812-image-a-40_1433626651263.jpg

The unstoppable attacking trio of Luis Suarez, Messi and Neymar took their combined tally to a staggering 122 goals this season

2968FA5500000578-3113812-image-a-23_1433625317752.jpg

Gerard Pique, himself a three-time winner of the competition, lifts the famous trophy in front of his jubilant team-mates

2968F50000000578-3113812-image-a-12_1433624677547.jpg

The ticker tape rains down in Berlin as Barcelona celebrate their fifth European crown after a magnificent performance against Juventus

2968EE4600000578-3113812-image-a-17_1433624789034.jpg

Neymar is the centre of attention following the game's conclusion after the brilliant Brazilian completed the scoring in the Olympic Stadium

2968BBD600000578-0-image-a-63_1433622058844.jpg

Suarez hit the second, finishing off a quickfire counter-attack to put Barca on the way to their first win in the competition since 2011

2968C69100000578-0-image-a-75_1433622440307.jpg

Suarez reacted quickest to the loose ball after Gianluigi Buffon parried Messi's shot, with the striker adjusting his body and sidefooting home

2968C56500000578-0-image-a-73_1433622410111.jpg

Suarez celebrated wildly as the Uruguayan striker ended a dramatic first season with the Catalan club in memorable fashion

29685C1B00000578-0-image-a-7_1433617631669.jpg

Barcelona players flock to Ivan Rakitic after the Croatian schemer finished off a sweeping, incisive move to give the Catalans an early lead

29686A6F00000578-0-image-a-57_1433621220325.jpg

The helpless Andrea Pirlo and Paul Pogba can only watch as Rakitic's well-placed effort beats the outstretched Buffon

2968624900000578-0-image-a-14_1433617997909.jpg

Rakitic, man of the match in last year's Europa League final while with Sevilla, further strengthened his reputation as a big game player

2968E77900000578-3113812-image-a-5_1433624171490.jpg

Neymar added gloss to the result, scoring with the last kick of the game to complete Barcelona's fourth conquest of Europe in a decade

2968EA5000000578-3113812-image-a-7_1433624208932.jpg

The Brazilian was magnificent throughout the match and celebrated his first Champions League victory following the final whistle

2968AA3400000578-0-image-a-59_1433621366469.jpg

Marc-Andre ter Stegen lies helpless after parrying Carlos Tevez's shot into the path of Alvaro Morata, who prepares to pounce

2968ACB000000578-0-image-a-62_1433621466969.jpg

Pique, Carlos Tevez, Dani Alves, Jordi Alba , Pirlo and Rakitic watch open-mouthed as the Spanish striker hits the net to level the score

2968A49500000578-0-image-a-54_1433621208064.jpg

Morata, who scored against Real Madrid in both legs of the semi-final, continued his hot streak with the equaliser ten minutes after the break

2968632A00000578-0-image-a-16_1433618002651.jpg

Rakitic is grabbed by a jubilant Neymar after handing Barca an early lead to light the touchpaper on a thrilling Champions League final

296854F900000578-0-image-a-9_1433617766418.jpg

Rakitic, Neymar, Andres Iniesta and Messi celebrate the opening goal on a magical night for the Catalans in the German capital

2968648F00000578-0-image-a-48_1433620663243.jpg

Rakitic is mobbed by a flying Dani Alves, and grabbed by an exuberant Neymar and a roaring Sergio Busquets after giving Barca an early lead

29685D6200000578-0-image-a-3_1433617547290.jpg

Barcelona players form a huddle in the corner of the pitch after seizing an early lead in a thrilling Champions League final

2968ED1200000578-3113812-image-a-10_1433624484901.jpg

Luis Enrique throws his arms into the air after completing the treble in a remarkable first season as head coach with the Catalan club

MATCH FACTS

Juventus (4-4-2): Buffon 8; Lichtsteiner 6, Barzaglia 7, Bonucci 7, Evra 6 (Coman 89); Marchisio 7, Pirlo 6, Pogba 6, Vidal 6 (Pereyra 79); Tevez 6, Morata 8 (Llorente 85)
Subs not used: Storari, Ogbonna, Padoin, Sturaro
Booked: Vidal, Pogba
Goal: Morata 55

Barcelona (4-3-3): Ter Stegen 7; Alves 7, Pique 8, Mascherano 7, Alba 7; Rakitic 8 (Mathieu 90), Busquets 7, Iniesta 8.5 (Xavi 78); Messi 8.5, Suarez 8 (Pedro 90), Neymar 8 Subs not used: Bravo, Rafinha, Bartra, Adriano

Booked: Suarez
Goals: Rakitic 4, Suarez 68, Neymar 90
Attendance: 70,442
Referee: Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey)
Ratings by Pete Jenson

It was a great tribute to Barcelona that they won their fourth Champions League trophy in a decade without Lionel Messi at his best. For once, this game was not about him, even though he had a hand in Barcelona’s first two goals. By his own exalted standards, the Argentine genius had a quiet night. This was a victory for team spirit as well as brilliance.

This was about Iniesta, the man of the match, who set up the first goal for Ivan Rakitic with a piece of typical unselfish skill. This was about Luis Suarez, who scored Barcelona’s second and ran himself into the ground. It was about Neymar, who scored Barcelona’s third with the last kick of the match, taking the total of goals scored by him, Messi and Suarez this season to 122. MSN, they call them in Catalonia.

And, of course, it was about Xavi, the midfield maestro who has underpinned so much of Barcelona’s success. The honour of lifting the trophy was given to him and so keen was he not to let go of the match ball, his final memento, that he shoved it up his shirt so he could have both hands free. Pregnant with joy.

So now the new era has begun. Forget any period of transition and the problems the team were wrestling with early in the season when there was discontent over the coaching of Luis Enrique and people speculated that Messi might even be sold. That’s history. Barcelona, winners of this trophy in 2006, 2009 and 2011, are ready to rule again.

This was probably the hardest won of their last four victories. Juventus, it is said, are a team who do not let you play well and they knew that, if they were to have any chance of lifting the trophy, they had to try to impose their very own Berlin Blockade on the greatest attacking trio in club football.

They had to do it without Giorgio Chiellini, the most redoubtable of their clutch of formidable defenders, who was injured in the build-up to the match. And they had to do it even as the world was still marvelling at Messi’s wonder-goal in the Copa del Rey final last weekend.

‘I only give Juventus a small chance of success,’ Gianluca Vialli, who captained the side the last time they won the trophy in 1996, said the day before the game, ‘but if anyone can upset the apple-cart with Barcelona, it is an Italian team.’

Barcelona's opener was a goal of beauty, with every outfield player involved in a move which pulled Juventus hither and thither

2968E67800000578-3113812-image-a-3_1433624041271.jpg

A tearful Pirlo applauds the Juventus supporters after a gut-wrenching defeat for the serial Italian champions

2968F2A900000578-3113812-image-a-20_1433624884548.jpg

UEFA president Michel Platini hands out the losers' medals to the Italians, who proved more than worthy adversaries for Barcelona

2968FA8A00000578-3113812-image-a-26_1433625550145.jpg

Barcelona form a guard of honour for Juventus as Arturo Vidal somehow manages to find a smile after disappointing end to the season

29685D5A00000578-0-image-a-5_1433617574138.jpg

Neymar flashed a shot just wide of Buffon's left-hand post when the Brazilian really should have hit the target

2968635500000578-0-image-a-13_1433617904998.jpg

Juve were indebted to Buffon in the 13th minute, with the 37-year-old shifting his balance to make a world-class save to stop Dani Alves' shot

296895D900000578-0-image-a-51_1433620733497.jpg

Messi attracts plenty of attention as the Argentine maestro torments his opponents with his trickery and close control

29687E8300000578-0-image-a-25_1433619214802.jpg

Juventus were incensed after seeing this Jordi Alba tackle on Paul Pogba at the edge of the box go unpunished by referee Cuneyt Cakir

29687E6E00000578-0-image-a-27_1433619219449.jpg

Incensed players from Juventus surround Cakir following the incident, but Alba's tackle went unpunished by the Turkish official

29688BED00000578-0-image-m-42_1433620235550.jpg
29688C2900000578-0-image-a-43_1433620241251.jpg

Dani Alves and Pogba grapple but keep their eyes on the ball with the pair contesting a fascinating duel throughout the game

29688DEF00000578-0-image-a-44_1433620351881.jpg

Tevez attempts to elude Sergio Busquets as the Argentine striker looks to find a Juventus shirt

As it was, the apple-cart stayed defiantly upright. Juventus pressed Barcelona strongly in the first three minutes and caused Javier Mascherano some discomfort but what the fourth minute brought was different. The first time Barcelona broke the shackles, they scored.

What a goal it was, too. Messi drove an inch-perfect crossfield pass to Jordi Alba. Alba laid it back to Neymar, who fed it in to Iniesta. Some players would have tried to score themselves but Iniesta is way too good to have done that. He dragged the ball into the path of Rakitic instead and the Croatian passed the ball into the empty net.

The game had started with a verse of poetry. Juventus and Arturo Vidal tried to drown it out with some industrial tackling that brought the midfielder an early yellow card but Barcelona were not deterred. Only a brilliant one-handed save by Gianluigi Buffon from Dani Alves’s shot stopped Barcelona doubling their lead before 15 minutes had elapsed.

Barcelona were beautiful, all flicks and unselfish runs and weighted passes and clever angles. When they had the ball, Juventus struggled to look anything other than utterly bewildered. But they did not give up. In fact, they dragged themselves back into the game.

Led by the indefatigable running of Paul Pogba and Carlos Tevez, they began to make incursions of their own in the Barcelona box. Alvaro Morata curled a shot wide and, midway through the half, after they had harried Barcelona out of possession, Claudio Marchisio unleashed a piledriver from 25 yards that whistled over Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s bar.

29690ADF00000578-3113812-image-a-33_1433625912224.jpg

With a match ball tucked into his T-shirt, Xavi is hoisted on the shoulders of Rakitic and Iniesta as he prepares to say farewell to Barcelona

2968D67A00000578-3113812-image-a-35_1433625925326.jpg

To rapturous applause, Iniesta made way for Xavi in the 78th minute, handing over the captain's armband to his close friend

29687DE200000578-0-image-a-28_1433620028373.jpg

Time stands still as the slippery Suarez attempts to wrongfoot 34-year-old Andrea Barzagli in the Juventus penalty area

2968728C00000578-0-image-a-23_1433618803779.jpg

Vidal (right) was booked early in the first half and was fortunate to remain on the pitch after losing his head in a wayward spell

296864F600000578-0-image-a-19_1433618137827.jpg

Suarez shows his close control as the Uruguayan avoids the attentions of Stephan Lichtsteiner and prompts another Barca attack

2968652000000578-0-image-a-21_1433618143697.jpg

Luis Enrique gives Javier Mascherano instructions during a frantic opening to the game which saw the Argentine slip several times

296898FC00000578-3113812-image-a-37_1433626002147.jpg

Ahead of his fifth Champions League final, Patrice Evra shook hands with Suarez as the pair added another chapter to their infamous rivalry

Morata made it 1-1, showing a striker's instinct to prod home with goal gaping.

Pogba protested bitterly when he claimed to have been wrestled to the ground in the Barcelona box but the referee waved play on and that was the reprieve Barcelona needed.

Messi surged forward, skipped a tackle on the edge of the box and fired in a low shot that bounced just in front of Buffon. Even Buffon could not deal with it. He parried it and Suarez pounced, lifting it high into the net.

Neymar, who had had a goal ruled out for handball, made amends with the last kick of the game when he rifled a shot past Buffon to put the game finally out of the reach of Juventus.

Forget the power of Bayern Munich and the monied might of Real Madrid. Barcelona are back, ready to rule again.

29697C2F00000578-3113812-image-a-17_1433641239841.jpg

Barcelona's supporters celebrate at Canaletas Square after their side's victory in Berlin

29697BED00000578-3113812-image-a-19_1433641244409.jpg

The club's fans poured out into the streets of the Catalan city after the final whistle

2969582300000578-3113812-image-a-20_1433641249771.jpg

Barcelona supporters let off flares as Juventus were soundly beaten at the Olympic Stadium

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;RyU1gSe1HPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU1gSe1HPY[/video]

[video=youtube;twp9BQQUYWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twp9BQQUYWw[/video]

Juventus 1-3 Barcelona
All Goals & Highlights Champions League Final 2015

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

[video=youtube;4QCS07M58uA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QCS07M58uA[/video]

[video=youtube;ACau66itvTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACau66itvTw[/video]