• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Paralysed woman stuck for 2 days in flat with dead brother

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20100126.184459_paralysedwoman.jpg

AS SHE lay on the cold ceramic tiles in the one-room HDB flat, the woman began to worry.

Where was her brother?

Paralysed by a stroke about nine years ago, she had depended on the younger man for all her daily needs. For two days, however, no one tended to her - until late Saturday morning.

That was after the woman,believed to be in her early 70s and whose name is not known, pleaded in Cantonese: "Please, someone give me food. I'm hungry. Please."

It was only then that neighbours discovered her brother's body in the eighth-storey unit at Block 10, North Bridge Road off Beach Road.

Unknown to the woman, the body of her only caregiver, Mr Cheng Wei Pak, 56, was just a few feet behind her.

It is believed that he had been dead for about two days. The cause of his death is unknown, though he is believed to have been suffering from throat cancer for about three years.

Mr Hong Ah Hong, 83, who lives in the opposite unit, had hobbled out to check on the woman after he heard her cries.
para1.jpg

Speaking in Cantonese, he told The New Paper: "It was odd to hear the woman calling for help and so I went over to see what happened."

Mr Hong found the old woman, who is also believed to be suffering from senile dementia, lying near the half-opened door.

He said: "She asked me to call out for her brother, adding that she did not know where he had gone.

"She kept muttering that he'd never left her at home for so long."

Just as Mr Hong turned away to call out to another neighbour a few units away, he thought he saw something looking like a pair of feet.

While he waited for the other neighbour to walk over, he pushed the door open.

Mr Hong said: "I was shocked to see Mr Cheng lying on the floor just outside the toilet."

Both he and the woman neighbour - who declined to be named - kept calling out to the man but there was no response.

They realised that Mr Cheng could be dead only when the foul smell hit them. They called the police.

Strong bond

Both neighbours spoke of a strong bond between brother and sister - and a love that saw them through illness, despite uncertainty and financial hardship.

The woman neighbour said the siblings had been living there for nearly 20 years.

While details of their past are vague, the neighbour said in Mandarin: "After the sister suffered a stroke about nine years ago, she became paralysed."

Mr Cheng soon quit his job to look after his sister full-time.

Said the neighbour: "He saw to all her needs - from feeding her, bathing her, carrying her to and from the toilet, day in day out."

She added: "He went from a burly and stout man to one who was almost reed-thin."

Yet, Mr Cheng never once complained - even as his sister slowly became senile and would sometimes chide him, calling him "suay zai" (bad boy in Cantonese).

Yet he continued caring for her. When the flat was being upgraded last year, for example, he would carry her in and out of the unit.

Said the woman neighbour: "She'd scold him for dropping her slippers on the floor, and he'd just laugh and say, 'Yah, I'm suay zai'."

When some other neighbours suggested that Mr Cheng let his sister wear adult diapers to ease his burden, he refused. Mr Hong said: "He'd say there was no way he was going to humiliate her by treating her like she's some imbecile.

"He always told me, 'If I can't even do something so simple, I am not fit to be a man'."

Their flat is sparsely furnished. There is no TV or refrigerator. They made do with only a small foldable table and some stools.

Their only luxury was a single bed.
para2.jpg

Mr Hong said: "The sister slept on the bed, while Mr Cheng would sleep on a thin mattress on the floor." Their only form of entertainment was Mr Cheng singing - albeit off-key - to his sister "when she remembered to grumble she was bored".

Most times, he'd just chat with her, said Mr Hong.

"It's like he thinks she understands him," he added.

Mr Cheng rarely left his sister at home for long. He left only to buy their meals - usually a packet of rice with vegetables to be shared between them. When he found out he had cancer three years ago, he asked neighbours if he should go for surgery.

Money woes aside, he was more worried that no one would take care of his sister, said the woman neighbour.

She said: "Before he was sick, he'd tell us that he'd look after his sister till she's no longer here.

"And when he fell ill, he said he'd fight to stay alive so he could look after her and leave only when she's gone."

Mr Hong said: "But now, he's gone - and the worst part is, his sister can't even mourn for him because she does not realise it."

And that, he added, is the real tragedy.

THREE days after Mr Cheng Wei Pak died, his sister remains in the dark over his death.

She continues to believe he has gone off to run an errand.

A police spokesman said they received a call on 23 Jan, and a Chinese man was found lying face up on the floor.

He was pronounced dead by paramedics at 12pm.

Yesterday morning, police officers and medical attendants were at the flat trying to move the woman to a hospital.

But Mr Cheng's sister refused to leave with them. She wanted to wait for her brother.

It took them a while, said the woman neighbour.

She added: "I helped to coax her too, and I kept telling her that she needed to go for a check-up at the hospital first. And that only after she had done so, they would be sending her to her other brother."

It was only then that the woman finally relented and agreed to let them take her away.
para3.jpg

It is believed that the woman has another two younger brothers and a sister.

Said neighbour Hong Ah Hong: "When I called the younger sister earlier, she told me to mind my own business."

When he tried to explain that her sister was alone and helpless now, she cut him off and slammed down the phone.

Mr Hong said: "I discussed the matter with the neighbours and we decided we had no choice but to call the police."

When this reporter called the given number last night, a woman who answered the phone confirmed she was "Ah Heong". But when she heard that we were calling about "Mr Cheng's sister", the phone line went dead. Subsequent calls to the same number were not successful.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
That's what happens when Sinkies vote in a govt that only cares about the bottom line. :rolleyes:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Salute to the late Mr Cheng for taking care of his sister with love and dedication. How many of us are willing to do such things for our loved ones?

May he have a good rebirth.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's what happens when Sinkies vote in a govt that only cares about the bottom line. :rolleyes:

hi there

1. yes, 10mil to ft integration programme, then to haiti.
2. sinkies in sinkieland are left alone to "fend" for themselves.
3. you die your biz.

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal

How exactly is the Government to blame here? Her own siblings dont even want to have anything to do with her. You can throw money at this problem but it will not go away.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Can someone refer her to TR as they promise to help all poor people?

How exactly is the Government to blame here? Her own siblings dont even want to have anything to do with her. You can throw money at this problem but it will not go away.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

In a kinder, gentler society, the state would be assisting in her care. She wouldn't be left to fend for herself.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Didnt LHL said "NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND"? Its not about throwing money. Its about why were this people left on the fringe while so much focus is zeroed in on construction workers dormitory?

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Didnt LHL said "NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND"? Its not about throwing money. Its about why were this people left on the fringe while so much focus is zeroed in on construction workers dormitory?

The answer is in the article. Upon knowledge of her predicament, their siblings did not even care. Whatelse you need?

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal

The answer is in the article. Upon knowledge of her predicament, their siblings did not even care. Whatelse you need?

Dont our "CARING" govt has some welfare association in place to catch these people who filter off the safety net? How would you react if youre caught in this situation? Blame yourself for being paralysed? DUH!

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont our "CARING" govt has some welfare association in place to catch these people who filter off the safety net? How would you react if youre caught in this situation? Blame yourself for being paralysed? DUH!

Assistance is there.....

The contention here is the role of family. If the Government steps ina ll the time and force assistance down people mouths, they will complain like the homeless who were put in homes.

-----------------------------------
Help and Assistance

Public Assistance (PA) Scheme

If you are unable to work owing to old age, illness or disability and have no means of subsistence and have little or no family support you may seek help under the PA scheme.

What PA provides
You may get:

Cash Grants - Monthly cash grants to help with your basic living expenses.
Medical Assistance - Free treatment at polyclinics and government/ restructured hospitals.
Education Assistance - Education assistance for your children to help with schooling expenses.

Who Can ApplySingapore citizens who:

Are unable to work owing to old age, illness or unfavourable family circumstances; and
Have no means of subsistence and little or no family support.

The Community Development Council (CDC) will assess your application to determine if you qualify for the scheme.

Where to Apply:Apply for PA at the CDC in your district.

CDC Offices
Central Singapore CDC
HDB Hub Bizthree,
490, Lorong 6 Toa Payoh,
#04-10, Singapore 310490
Tel: 6370 9901 Fax: 63709928
North East CDC
3 Tampines Grande,
#01-02, AIA Tampines,
Singapore 528799
Tel: 6424 4000 Fax: 64244077

North West CDC
900 South Woodlands Drive,
#01-04, Woodlands Civic Centre,
Singapore 730900
Tel: 6767 2288 Fax: 62191176
South East CDC
10 Eunos Road 8,
#02-01, Singapore Post Centre,
Singapore 408600
Tel: 6243 8753 Fax: 62433130

South West CDC
The JTC Summit,
8 Jurong Town Hall Road
#03-11 Singapore 609434
Tel: 63161616 Fax: 6316 7251

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assistance is there.....

The contention here is the role of family. If the Government steps ina ll the time and force assistance down people mouths, they will complain like the homeless who were put in homes.

As if the people in question knows how to read english or knows where to get help. Of course those people working in the cosy office of welfare association expects to get calls.

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
As if the people in question knows how to read english or knows where to get help. Of course those people working in the cosy office of welfare association expects to get calls.

First you complain there is no assistance.

Then when you realise there is, you decry that the instructions are in English

This is getting tiresome. You can have all the assistance (and in mulitple languages) you want but the efficacy of it boils down to the family unit.

When that is taken away, the next hurdle is PRIDE. Too proud to ask for assistance, too proud to call a sibling.... but not too proud to blame everything on the Government (both when help is given and withheld).

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

that PAP dog just confirmed 1 thing..

civil serpent very free..:biggrin:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
First you complain there is no assistance.

Then when you realise there is, you decry that the instructions are in English

This is getting tiresome. You can have all the assistance (and in mulitple languages) you want but the efficacy of it boils down to the family unit.

When that is taken away, the next hurdle is PRIDE. Too proud to ask for assistance, too proud to call a sibling.... but not too proud to blame everything on the Government (both when help is given and withheld).

Im merely quoting the human obstacles faced by welfare workers for situations as such. Of coz, its a tiresome task. What do you expect? A needy who will kneel & beg for help & tell everyone its his fault for his own predicament? Sheesh!!! Obviously you have not experience the plight of these people at all.

Internet Brigade

Alfrescian
Loyal
Im merely quoting the human obstacles faced by welfare workers for situations as such. Of coz, its a tiresome task. What do you expect? A needy who will kneel & beg for help & tell everyone its his fault for his own predicament? Sheesh!!! Obviously you have not experience the plight of these people at all.

Please read again. Talking to you is tiresome.

Humility is a triat severely lacking in most Singaporeans.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
that PAP dog just confirmed 1 thing..

civil serpent very free..:biggrin:

If he's really a civil servant, I'll be glad to vote his master out base on his account. No empathy nor care at all. May his parents or himself become a destitute or a Dalit, so he knows what it means to be a needy.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please read again. Talking to you is tiresome.

Humility is a triat severely lacking in most Singaporeans.

Humility is a trait lacking in everyone, my friend. You included.
You find it tiresome talking to me coz you havent convinced me to see your point of view, however noble you want to paint it as.
If the welfare workers have PERSISTENCE & DISCRENMENT, they wouldve at least be able to help this family instead of letting her sleep with a dead corpse for 2 days.
Have you been a counsellor before?