• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

2 activists arrested for speaking out on Burmese issue

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
2 activists arrested for speaking out on Burmese issue

Written by Ng E-Jay
12 Jan 2009, 1.30pm

Two activists, Seelan Palay and Chong Kai Xiong, were arrested at around 1pm for staging a protest outside the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) Building over the non-renewals of Burmese work permits.

The activists, who were decked in red T-shirts, were holding placards.

The activists were arrested on grounds of trespassing.

More updates will be posted when available.

moe.jpg

More Burmese facing expulsion from Singapore

Seelan Palay
Yet another two Burmese nationals working in Singapore have fallen victim to the Government for their support of the pro-democracy movement in their home country.
In the latest development, Singapore’s Manpower Ministry is refusing to renew the work permits of Mr Moe Kyaw Thu, 35 and Mr Win Kyaw, 38, who had both worked here for 11 years each. Moe is a construction supervisor and Win, a technical supervisor.
This drastic turn of events resulted from the two men’s involvement in highlighting human rights abuses by the Burmese military junta following its crackdown of the pro-democracy movement in Rangoon led by monks in September last year.
Moe in particular appealed to MOM reiterating that he has no police record of any kind and he has fully respected the laws of Singapore while working here.
Both men have participated in the activities of the Overseas Burmese Patriots (OBP), an advocacy group formed in Singapore after the military crackdown. The group was involved in organizing and conducting a series of public campaigns in Singapore against the Burmese regime.
One of the activities was when over 40 Burmese, assembled in groups of four, held a peaceful protest along Orchard Road on 20 Nov 07 during the ASEAN Summit in nearby Shangri-la Hotel.
Following the event, the group was accused by the Singapore Government of deliberately breaking local laws. Its members were given a police warning for their participation in the protest. But none of the Burmese activists were ever charged with any unlawful act while pursuing their political objectives.
The hands of the PAP Government first became apparent in September this year when three members of the OBP were expelled when their work permits or residence in Singapore came up for renewal.
Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng defended the Government’s action then, stating that the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority “considers this small group to be undesirable persons and rightly decided they should leave.”
In the ongoing saga, despite their employers wanting to retain them, Moe and Win have been ordered to leave Singapore by the end of January 2009.
“If they send me back, my family will suffer greatly. I’d have to spend the rest of my life in prison.” said Moe.
The latest expulsions go against the sympathy and support that Burmese pro-democracy activists receive throughout the world. The inhumane act of the Singapore Government is an indirect endorsement of the murderous Burmese junta.
[email protected]

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Why don't they protest for the rights of Singaporeans instead of for foreigners?

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
I support the Protesters speaking out for our Burmese friends

Why don't they protest for the rights of Singaporeans instead of for foreigners?

What RUBBISH?! :confused:

The question is where were YOU when they were protesting for Singaporeans so many times. Where were YOU when they protested and got arrested more than once including Tak Boleh Tahan at Parliament?

They are right and they are good, because not only they had protested for OUR Singaporeans including you JW5, they also maintained friendships with OUR ASIAN FRIENDS.

Fighters in Asia need to network and join forces.

I always insist this.

famiLEE LEEgime are COWARDS to have arrested them. :oIo: to LEEgime.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: I support the Protesters speaking out for our Burmese friends

hey clown, still talk big again?

Originally Posted by scroobal
Quote:
You should really step aside if you have no clue what to do, where to go and how to do anything in the fight for a democratic Singapore.

Despite all these years and the amount of attention that you have sought and received, no one knows who you are and your background is really hazy as the day that you took stage.

You continue to hijack events of the opposition, you write nonsense about flowers next to toilets, you cast a shadow of comedy and sillyness on their cause and you sure know how to rain on a parade.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

But you are the only one that is going to every opposition event, whether invited or not, take centre stage, claim to be fighting the lee clan , day and night etc. No other ctizen makes claims like you.
So what have you achieved so far?

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

Originally Posted by Porfirio Rubirosa
Quote:
Staging a solo hunger strike and getting laughed at by schoolgirls? Trying to play the 'comedian' at a trial apparently thinking that this is part of "engaging leegime"

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
for once i support the scums decision not to renew their permit...it is time to send this foreign trash packing back to their home land...FT balik kampung...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

What RUBBISH?! :confused:

The question is where were YOU when they were protesting for Singaporeans so many times. Where were YOU when they protested and got arrested more than once including Tak Boleh Tahan at Parliament?

They are right and they are good, because not only they had protested for OUR Singaporeans including you JW5, they also maintained friendships with OUR ASIAN FRIENDS.

Fighters in Asia need to network and join forces.

I always insist this.

famiLEE LEEgime are COWARDS to have arrested them. :oIo: to LEEgime.

I don't think you got the pulse of the country or even understand the needs of Singaporeans. Firstly we can't even protest for our own cause. Secondly both the burmese chaps are supervisors. They are no ordinary contract workers. Singaporeans have steadily lost these types of jobs because there is no minimum wage and as long as there is 3rd world country ready to do it, the wages will remain low. Naturally there will be negative sentiments floating around.

At a time of recession, jobs for Singaporeans are paramount.

We all know the PAP are basically tyrannical and elitist. There is no need to convince us of that. Know how to pick your battle.

As the saying goes - charity begins at home.

This is another example why SDP and those associated with it still can't garner support from Singaporeans. Obviously the Burmese cause rings bells in washington and in the NGO world but jobless singaporeans do not.

csi88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncle Yap,
I totally disagreed with you this time. Why are they protesting for FT??? What Burmese issues had to do with Singapore??
When we vote for a particular candidate in the elections,we vote for him or her to represent us.we as fellow SINGAPOREANS we need someone to voice out for us and not foreign issues here. Basically if SDP is capable of winning a seat in the coming elections, then I will reserved my comments here. so in the meantime,if SDP is voicing out for Singaporeans here,then it might change my mind. One tak boleh tahan protest cant speaks much for itself.

mentor_LEE

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't think you got the pulse of the country or even understand the needs of Singaporeans. Firstly we can't even protest for our own cause. Secondly both the burmese chaps are supervisors. They are no ordinary contract workers. Singaporeans have steadily lost these types of jobs because there is no minimum wage and as long as there is 3rd world country ready to do it, the wages will remain low. Naturally there will be negative sentiments floating around.

At a time of recession, jobs for Singaporeans are paramount.

We all know the PAP are basically tyrannical and elitist. There is no need to convince us of that. Know how to pick your battle.

As the saying goes - charity begins at home.

This is another example why SDP and those associated with it still can't garner support from Singaporeans. Obviously the Burmese cause rings bells in washington and in the NGO world but jobless singaporeans do not.

In the 1st place who told you that this has ANYTHING to do with SDP?

You think you know the pulse of Singapore? You know the need of Singaporeans? Don't make me laugh!

You are just WRONGLY assumed that other Singaporeans are like yourself.

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal

You think you know the pulse of Singapore? You know the need of Singaporeans? Don't make me laugh!

hey uncle coke, you have so many nick, talk here talk there...LOL
SDP run by the clowns = Sure Die Party

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

You need to improve your comprehension and general knowledge skills. By the way, just read the comments on this thread and the other thread of the same topic.

Lets face it, no activists turned up when PRC people or the Indian contract workers turned up at MOM to protest. Burmese cause is more fashionable to to western NGO and Govt. There will also be more invitations paid or partially paid at times to to visit these nice western cities to talk about your activism for the burmese cause.

Now you know why local votes are hard to garner and its best to disqualify oneself from the polls.

Don't let me stop you laughing.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are the many Burmese in Sinkapoor? Why aren't they protesting to save their own countrymen?? If they can't be bothered to do so, why should any sinkee risk his time and skin to fight for these cowards??

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are the many Burmese in Sinkapoor? Why aren't they protesting to save their own countrymen?? If they can't be bothered to do so, why should any sinkee risk his time and skin to fight for these cowards??
The Burmese junta badly needs foreign currency. Those working here are remitting valuable currency back home for their relatives. However its the Junta that benefits from it. Thats the reason why the Junta encourages its people to go to Junta friendly Singapore.

If these Burmese dissidents were smart, they will not remit anything back home or refuse to go overseas.

The pinoy maids are the ones that are sustaining Philippines in a similar vein.