• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Abuse of Power by Singapore Civil Servants

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
The following are blogs showing the abuse of powers by civil servants who had no regards for the rule of law and taking the laws into their own hands.

The civil servants even disregarded High Court order to comply with the directions made by the courts. When this was highlighted to the ministers, the Attorney-General and the Chief Justice, there was no reply from any of them except a reply from that department (who is the subject of the complaint).

Numerous emails (almost 15 emails including carbon copied emails within 6 months) to the minister in charge of that department went unanswered and there was no response till todate.

Kindly give your comments and the conducts of the civil servants. So what is the miniser going to do or continue to let the abuse of powers go on.

http://www.youngpap.org.sg/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=241585#241585

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Law won't tolerate attacks

Courts' authority must be respected by all, says CJ; Shanmugam and A-G echo his words

By K. C. Vijayan, Law Correspondent

Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, speaking at the opening of the legal year in the Supreme Court, noted that the mission of the courts requires that its authority be respected by all.

The Chief Justice, Law Minister and Attorney-General made clear yesterday that they would not brook any attack on the courts here.

Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, speaking at the opening of the legal year in the Supreme Court, noted that the mission of the courts requires that its authority be respected by all.

'This is so fundamental and critical to the rule of law, and the just and proper governance of a state, that the law itself will not tolerate any attempt by any person to undermine public confidence in the courts by making false and scandalous allegations,' he said.

'The courts need to be protected in that regard by the law.'

His remarks were echoed in the comments of Attorney-General Walter Woon and Law Minister K. Shanmugam, and come in the wake of several high-profile cases that were convicted for contempt of court last year.

Among those prosecuted were former Singaporean lawyer Gopalan Nair, three activists who showed up in the court with offensive T-shirts, and the Asian Wall Street Journal.

Present at yesterday's ceremony were Deputy Prime Minister S. Jayakumar, former chief justice Yong Pung How, High Court judges and about 200 senior lawyers.

In his address, Professor Woon spoke at length about the need to protect the integrity of the judicial system.

He said that there appears to be a campaign by certain people both here and abroad to attack the integrity and independence of the Singapore courts.

The Attorney-General's office has had to charge several people to show that it is not permissible to 'undermine the courts and judiciary for political or ideological reasons'.

He recalled the spate of incidents last year that began with the first day that he took office in April.

A group of activists linked to an opposition party had come to the Attorney-General's Chambers and sought the return of items seized by police investigating certain offences.

They threatened to stay all night and call in more supporters to stage a protest if their demands were not met. They left after more than an hour following repeated requests.

'I can only conclude they were testing our resolve and probing to see how far we could be intimidated by their tactics,' he said.

This was followed shortly by another incident in the Supreme Court where three activists wore T-shirts to accuse the court of being a kangaroo court.
All three were subsequently charged and convicted.

On the heels of this came an e-mail to various people in Singapore stating that a judge of the Supreme Court had 'prostituted herself' in certain proceedings.

The culprit, politician and former Singaporean Gopalan Nair, also posted the same remarks on his blog. He was jailed for three months for contempt.
Mr Nair has since been repatriated to the United States where he has reposted all that he said.

This was then followed by a series of commentaries in 'an international newspaper' casting aspersions on the integrity and independence of the Singapore judiciary, Professor Woon said.

In November, the Asian Wall Street Journal was fined $25,000 after being found guilty of contempt of court for publishing three articles in June and July that alleged bias and lack of independence on the part of the judiciary.

Prof Woon stressed that these prosecutions are not instituted lightly.

He said that while freedom of speech and expression is guaranteed in the Constitution, the line is crossed 'where a person deliberately attempts to undermine the authority of the courts by casting aspersions on the integrity of the judges in order to further a political or ideological agenda'.

He said the assault on the courts appears to be 'part of a broader campaign to force a change in our laws by extra-legal means'.

This involves the deliberate breaking of laws in an effort to pressure the Government to amend them, rather than go through the 'unexciting route of campaigning for change through proper constitutional means'.

Stressing that those who oppose the Government cannot be expected to be excused from obeying the law, he said: 'The essence of the rule of law is that the law applies to all.'

Speaking on the sidelines of the event, Mr Shanmugam, who is also the Second Minister for Home Affairs, said that the Chief Justice's remarks on the rule of law were timely.

He noted that in the last few years, there have been people who did not like certain laws and the way they showed it was 'to go out there and protest'.
The way to change the law was to get elected politically and argue in Parliament why the law should be changed, he said.

'But an aggressive small group of people think they can change those laws by going out there and protesting and the courts have repeatedly emphasised they will apply the law as it is. That is justice according to the law,' he said.

'Unfortunately, even publicly sometimes, this is forgotten. People forget that some of these protests are really aimed at breaking the law and changing the law and is that what we want?'

[email protected]

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Compare what the Chief Justice and the Law Minister have to say in their speech in the opening of the Legal Year 2009 and read my blog and articles which I have published over the years.

To read my blog, go to the first thread in this subject.

Is the government, the Attorney-General and the Law Minister practising what they had said. Draw your own conclusion and judge for yourself.

So what is the AG and the Minister for Law going to do about the contenpt of court committed by the office of the Official Assignee.

Double Standards.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please lah. Your own partner cheated you. Keep cryingn all these years.

Get over it and get on with your life with you? Loser.

The following are blogs showing the abuse of powers by civil servants who had no regards for the rule of law and taking the laws into their own hands.

The civil servants even disregarded High Court order to comply with the directions made by the courts. When this was highlighted to the ministers, the Attorney-General and the Chief Justice, there was no reply from any of them except a reply from that department (who is the subject of the complaint).

Numerous emails (almost 15 emails including carbon copied emails within 6 months) to the minister in charge of that department went unanswered and there was no response till todate.

Kindly give your comments and the conducts of the civil servants. So what is the miniser going to do or continue to let the abuse of powers go on.

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Get over it and get on with your life with you? Loser
. By cass888

Whether I am a loser or not, we shall see and see who has the last laugh.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're a once-haughty lawyer who's now bankrupt and fighting stupid fights against banks that you can't win. As a lawyer you should have read the fine print and know what you risk.

Loser, get a job and pay the OA.

Get over it and get on with your life with you? Loser. By cass888

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're a once-haughty lawyer who's now bankrupt and fighting stupid fights against banks that you can't win. As a lawyer you should have read the fine print and know what you risk. By Cass888

Have you read my statement of claim, the bank's Defence and my Reply which I posted it on the blog. Go and ask any lawyer, they will tell you the answer.

If Standchart had a case, then why are they fighting for more than 4 1/2 years purely on court procedure grounds instead of fighting on merits. Use your head.

Law firm clients' account cannot go into overdraft, there is no fine print to be read. If client don't put money into the client account, the balance is zero sum. How to go into overdraft.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read the fine print. A bank can let an account go into overdraft at its discretion.

You think you are Stanchart's only client? A banker is a banker, not a trustee and a bank account is just that a bank account regardless of whether you call it a client's account or a trust account or your mother's account. You didn't pay any additional fee to operate a trust account. In fact, you even make us open accounts without minimum balance on the excuse it's a trust account. You are the trustee. Your partner is your co-trustee. The bank is not a trustee. The bank is just a banker. Your co-trustee misused the account. You pay for it. Even non-lawyers know what partner means. Obviously you don't.

And you can't get your procedure right. We all pay good lawyers to whack the other side on both facts and procedure.

Stop whining and move on with your life. If you had a case you wouldn't be moaning in all the internet forums once ever so many months.

You're a once-haughty lawyer who's now bankrupt and fighting stupid fights against banks that you can't win. As a lawyer you should have read the fine print and know what you risk. By Cass888

Have you read my statement of claim, the bank's Defence and my Reply which I posted it on the blog. Go and ask any lawyer, they will tell you the answer.

If Standchart had a case, then why are they fighting for more than 4 1/2 years purely on court procedure grounds instead of fighting on merits. Use your head.

Law firm clients' account cannot go into overdraft, there is no fine print to be read. If client don't put money into the client account, the balance is zero sum. How to go into overdraft.

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read the fine print. A bank can let an account go into overdraft at its discretion.

You think you are Stanchart's only client? A banker is a banker, not a trustee and a bank account is just that a bank account regardless of whether you call it a client's account or a trust account or your mother's account. You didn't pay any additional fee to operate a trust account.
And you can't get your procedure right. We all pay good lawyers to whack the other side on both facts and procedure.

Stop whining and move on with your life. If you had a case you wouldn't be moaning in all the internet forums once ever so many months.

FYI, it is clearly stated and printed on all the clients account cheque and statement of account that it is a client account. A client account is a trust account.

If it does not matter to the bank whether it is a client account or not, then why did the bank need to distinguish it and have it printed on the cheques that it is a client account and laws written to govern clients account operated by lawyers. We inherited our laws on client/trust account from the British. If there is no distinction then why did the British need to distinguish it and the law is more than a century old.

If banks are not concerned about the nature of the account and who the money belongs to so long as the signatory signs on the cheque, then why in recent newspaper report, OCBC refused to allow an old woman to withdraw money from her own account and insist that she be examined medically to see if she is mentally sound in knowing what she is doing. The old woman's account was just an ordinary account and NOT even a trust account.

Why did OCBC Bank go to that extent to seek a high court order to protect their interest. The bank could just release the money so long as the signature is correct. Did the old woman pay extra money to the bank and why did OCBC spend money to go to court.

If I get my procedure wrong, then why did Standchart filed appeal after appeal that it goes all the way to the Court of Appeal. In all, the bank had filed 5 appeals. You mean to say all the judges who had heard the cases are all wrong. None of the judges had agreed with what Standchart had to say. The bank is merely playing for time.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You lawyers think the world centres around you. The requirment or "client's account" is not the bank's requirement, it's yours. But you call it anything you want, you still opened the bank account on the same terms and conditions as your non-client's account. Why should the bank give special reqgard to your case?

Don't pick on other examples. OCBC can be right or it can be wrong. But you were wrong. You're bankrupt. Get over it.

FYI, it is clearly stated and printed on all the clients account cheque and statement of account that it is a client account. A client account is a trust account.

If it does not matter to the bank whether it is a client account or not, then why did the bank need to distinguish it and have it printed on the cheques that it is a client account and laws written to govern clients account operated by lawyers. We inherited our laws on client/trust account from the British. If there is no distinction then why did the British need to distinguish it and the law is more than a century old.

If banks are not concerned about the nature of the account and who the money belongs to so long as the signatory signs on the cheque, then why in recent newspaper report, OCBC refused to allow an old woman to withdraw money from her own account and insist that she be examined medically to see if she is mentally sound in knowing what she is doing. The old woman's account was just an ordinary account and NOT even a trust account.

Why did OCBC Bank go to that extent to seek a high court order to protect their interest. The bank could just release the money so long as the signature is correct. Did the old woman pay extra money to the bank and why did OCBC spend money to go to court.

If I get my procedure wrong, then why did Standchart filed appeal after appeal that it goes all the way to the Court of Appeal. In all, the bank had filed 5 appeals. You mean to say all the judges who had heard the cases are all wrong. None of the judges had agreed with what Standchart had to say. The bank is merely playing for time.

tomasloh

Alfrescian
Loyal
You lawyers think the world centres around you. The requirment or "client's account" is not the bank's requirement, it's yours. But you call it anything you want, you still opened the bank account on the same terms and conditions as your non-client's account. Why should the bank give special reqgard to your case?

Don't pick on other examples. OCBC can be right or it can be wrong. But you were wrong. You're bankrupt. Get over it.

With due respect to what you have said, I am not arguing with you and I will leave it to the others to judge what i have said as against yours.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
With due respect to what you have said, I am not arguing with you and I will leave it to the others to judge what i have said as against yours.

Simple.
Coz it doesn't happen on him...thatz why it is easier for him to say "get over it"

I'm sure our elites had train the peasants well.
anything happen....can say this....

"I'm sorry. It has happened.
Let's Move On."

:biggrin: :p :biggrin:

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thomas,

Personally, I hated the name - Thomas Loh. It is some arsehole that I know.

But, after going through your blog briefly, sigh..... you are fighting a lonely and appear to be losing battle. Having a Kangaroo court doesn't help !!

However, if you were to degrade yourself to become a pappy early, your troubles could be quickly resolved. But, no, you choose to have backbone and refuse to be a snake.... this is where the trouble begins.

Besides being kick around by those bastards, you were also denied by them.

I have seen ball carriers during my pappy days at the kennel and was wondering what the hell went wrong with those pappies.... I discovered that some of them were on the wrong or fractured side of the law and the MPs helped them to get back on their feet. The only thing is that they are beholden to the MP for the rest of their dog life.

You have my deepest respect. Like Tan Chong Kee of previous Sintercom, instead of officially announce his detest for PAP strong arm tactic, he told Wun Kena Sack that he had no time to manage Sintercom so he has to shutdown that website. So, he choose the street fighter method, whereas you choose to fight in the boxing ring - you will lose, lose, and lose. The judges are in cahoot, even your coach was bought over by your opponent. How to win this fight ? Possible, but tough. I wish you luck!

Z

Zombie

If it does not matter to the bank whether it is a client account or not, then why did the bank need to distinguish it and have it printed on the cheques that it is a client account and laws written to govern clients account operated by lawyers.

As far as I understand, it is the Legal Profession Act requiring the lawyer to put client's money into separate account (from the firm's account) with the word "client" on it. It is not a banking law requirement.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. If the banks are required to read into what the name of every bank account is, how is it going to operate? This almighty lawyer thinks that banks have a responsibility to do that which any one in banking will know is utterly ridiculous.

He's been spamming all the boards in Singapore. He should just get over it and move on with his life.

As far as I understand, it is the Legal Profession Act requiring the lawyer to put client's money into separate account (from the firm's account) with the word "client" on it. It is not a banking law requirement.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Get over it and get on with your life with you? Loser
. By cass888

going by your postings, i would say spychologically, it is not that civil servants abuse their powers, but more of a case of you unable to have your own way around civil servants.

My god you sound so much like tyhe old QXP who keep on saying others abuse him when he himself been abusing others.