• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course not. They just reminded me that it's against the law, and I have to renounce either one. So i just told them i will give this matter some thought then I left the building.
If I didn't renounce, then next time I enter SG using another country's passport, they may or may not, pull me aside to remind me again.

I think it all depends if you are on their radar or not.

Jail or just fine? I doubt they would make an example of you. Will you come back again after this trip? Will they let you leave coz you enter sinkapore with local passport? Keep us posted. Yours is the first case report on Sam's.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jail or just fine? I doubt they would make an example of you. Will you come back again after this trip? Will they let you leave coz you enter sinkapore with local passport? Keep us posted. Yours is the first case report on Sam's.

I think they will not jail or fine you, unless you're Dr.Chee or Alex Tan of States Time review.

I've renounced SG citizenship over the counter at ICA. Quite convenient process, don't even need to notarize the documents.

I will further update the bit about those young boys who left SG and migrated overseas before 10 yrs old, and what happens when the enlistment letter comes, exit permits & NS deferment request and ultimately renunciation when they are 21.

This bit will take longer as my son is only 14.

Again, policies do change over time. so let's see how this journey goes.

I encourage those with son's who have migrated to share their experience about the enlistment bit, NS deferment and renunciation when 21.

This will be a more accurate information that benefits those who have left. Better than those half truth from you know who.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think they will not jail or fine you, unless you're Dr.Chee or Alex Tan of States Time review.

I've renounced SG citizenship over the counter at ICA. Quite convenient process, don't even need to notarize the documents.

I will further update the bit about those young boys who left SG and migrated overseas before 10 yrs old, and what happens when the enlistment letter comes, exit permits & NS deferment request and ultimately renunciation when they are 21.

I encourage those with son's who have migrated to share their experience about the enlistment bit, NS deferment and renunciation when 21.

This will be a more accurate information that benefits those who have left. Better than those half truth from you know who.

Friend's son born overseas but they registered him as sinkee citizen. Got letter from MINDEF to put a deposit for him to remain outside country. Had to go and tell MINDEF that son intends to renounce citizenship. Lots of talking ...finally they agree to rescind requirement for deposit. They were cautioned that son should not enjoy any benefits of sinkee citizenship. That's the story so far as kid is only teenager.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why did you renounce? CPF?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Scroobal doesn't owe anyone anything. He has given advice out of goodwill.

The whole subject about keeping Singapore citizenship while holding another country's citizenship seems to be a have your cake and eat it. Although people have said it is "possible" and that there is no legal documentation that outlaws it, it is a moot point in my opinion. As I had mentioned before, clearly ICA would not renew or issue passports to people who declare that they have dual citizenship. If you falsely declare that you do not hold another citizenship then you are guilty of committing fraud. Really, seriously, if you are so intent on keeping your Singapore citizenship for whatever reason, then just don't get another country's citizenship.

Otherwise just renounce Singapore citizenship and take the CPF as a "bonus". I do know that for those who never ask to renew their Singapore passports, sometimes ICA doesn't know what is happening and never asks them to renounce one of their citizenships. But when something happens that brings them to ICA's attention, then they get letters informing them they should renounce one of their citizenships.

As for the NS deferment issue for male children, that's different because the children are not allowed to renounce till they are aged 21. Yet they want them to serve NS then renounce. That is pretty crazy. Having said that, I do know friends who have got their sons to go back to serve NS for the family's sake. Especially those who migrated after the age of 11.

There is no need to ridicule good people like Scroobal who are merely trying to help with what information they know. As far as I know, the NS issue is a case by case review. So every case is treated differently. Which is why there is no real consensus on this issue.

As we all know how Singapore works, if you share your case here, you probably run the risk of being on their radar and might jeopardize your son's case on an individual basis. So good luck to whoever wants to share.

With the ungrateful attitude that people have here, as if those who post here owe it to others when it doesn't quite work out the way you want it, it probably makes more sense that we DO NOT share anymore.

Good luck folks! You are on your own.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the ungrateful attitude that people have here, as if those who post here owe it to others when it doesn't quite work out the way you want it, it probably makes more sense that we DO NOT share anymore.

The problem with many Singaporeans is their inability to accommodate different perspectives, beliefs and ways of thinking. Most of the knowledge and experience gained by those who left Singapore is not shared here in the forum anyway. For those with true desire to leave, whatever has been posted in the Emigration folder over the years is more than sufficient to get them started. The rest are merely action items.

The measure of the person can be discerned by the aspersions cast. If your words make sense, they will stand on their own. Only those who give up easily will be swayed.

Why was the decision reversed on overseas Singaporeans having to pay healthcare premiums?

Why do people still ask the same old questions about dual citizenship and NS obligations after so many years?

These are very simple questions people can keep asking why, or thinking about, until they reach a few simple truths. But then again, it's tough when people have to read the right stuff in Singapore.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal doesn't owe anyone anything. He has given advice out of goodwill.

The whole subject about keeping Singapore citizenship while holding another country's citizenship seems to be a have your cake and eat it. Although people have said it is "possible" and that there is no legal documentation that outlaws it, it is a moot point in my opinion. As I had mentioned before, clearly ICA would not renew or issue passports to people who declare that they have dual citizenship. If you falsely declare that you do not hold another citizenship then you are guilty of committing fraud. Really, seriously, if you are so intent on keeping your Singapore citizenship for whatever reason, then just don't get another country's citizenship.

Otherwise just renounce Singapore citizenship and take the CPF as a "bonus". I do know that for those who never ask to renew their Singapore passports, sometimes ICA doesn't know what is happening and never asks them to renounce one of their citizenships. But when something happens that brings them to ICA's attention, then they get letters informing them they should renounce one of their citizenships.

As for the NS deferment issue for male children, that's different because the children are not allowed to renounce till they are aged 21. Yet they want them to serve NS then renounce. That is pretty crazy. Having said that, I do know friends who have got their sons to go back to serve NS for the family's sake. Especially those who migrated after the age of 11.

There is no need to ridicule good people like Scroobal who are merely trying to help with what information they know. As far as I know, the NS issue is a case by case review. So every case is treated differently. Which is why there is no real consensus on this issue.

As we all know how Singapore works, if you share your case here, you probably run the risk of being on their radar and might jeopardize your son's case on an individual basis. So good luck to whoever wants to share.

When he's giving out advice based on false information, then it is a problem. He has on numerous occasions mentioned ICA allow dual citizenship as there is no law specifically prohibiting it. Well, I queried the ICA case officer on this and she specifically refuted those information that was peddled by Scroobal.

The problem about the NS bit and young men wanting to renounce but not able to is of concern to many. Every damn thing is case by case basis, that's the problem with SG. Not a set of rules that's transparent for all, and applied equally to all.

Related to who & who, can defer 12 yrs. No relation, GFYS.

If those rules and regulations are fair and transparent, there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are either a dishonest person or unable to comprehend English. Let me break it down in bullet points.

1. There is no law against holding more than one citizenship if you are Singaporean. So it is not offence.

2. The government has categoically stated that it does not encourage dual or multiple ctizenship. Thats their stand but it is not the law. Only an idiot cannot tell the difference. The PAP uses government agencies like People Association to campaign at each and every election. So what they say or do is not necessarily right. Don't be a gullible idiot and believe what they want you to believe.

3. The approach to seek deferment for those who migrated has not changed materially since conscription began but they have not publicly stated the policy and many kids who migrated have been classified as defaulter when they are perfectly eligible to get deferment. This is due to the lack of transparency. Some of us here help to clear the fog so that more kids do not end up unable to visit Singapore.

4. If you do not need to withdraw your CPF when you migrate, might as keep your citizenship as the practice of multiple ciizenship is gaining ground in a global world. Oz which by law disallowed holding dual ot multiple citizenship for many years has its law repealed circa 2004. Singapore cabinet discussed this quite extensively and Old Man categorically stated that it will be brough up again as no decision has been made.

5. ICA has renewed PP of people holding foreign citizenship where they have declared their foreign ctizenship. The new forms which was introduced in recent years asked a number of questions including what travel documents was used to travel if one's passport has already expired whilst outside the country. That tells you that it is done selectively. And for a reason.

6. There are privileges with citizenship such as purchase of landed property without the need for Commissioner of Land consent as an example. The notion of citizenship has nothing to do with the PAP. Its a fucking political party that has overstayed its welcome long time ago and continues to fool people who are gullible or cannot understand simple English.

When he's giving out advice based on false information, then it is a problem. He has on numerous occasions mentioned ICA allow dual citizenship as there is no law specifically prohibiting it. Well, I queried the ICA case officer on this and she specifically refuted those information that was peddled by Scroobal.

The problem about the NS bit and young men wanting to renounce but not able to is of concern to many. Every damn thing is case by case basis, that's the problem with SG. Not a set of rules that's transparent for all, and applied equally to all.

Related to who & who, can defer 12 yrs. No relation, GFYS.

If those rules and regulations are fair and transparent, there wouldn't be a need for this thread.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have attended gatherings of Ex Singaporeans or those who have migrated and even till today I will come across an idiot who will insist that a male born as a Singapore citizen must do NS and no deferment will be granted. And that idiot will tell hpw his sons had to go back and do NS. It used be the norm in the old days but with the internet more people are aware.

I am still astounded people still think that it offence to hold dual citizenship. When you ask them who told them, they start looking around and grasp as straws. Just last week we had a clown who made the claim and when asked to show the letter from ICA, coveniently claimed that ICA told him verbally. When you bring him to ICA to point to the Officer, he will look for another excuse.

The problem with many Singaporeans is their inability to accommodate different perspectives, beliefs and ways of thinking. Most of the knowledge and experience gained by those who left Singapore is not shared here in the forum anyway. For those with true desire to leave, whatever has been posted in the Emigration folder over the years is more than sufficient to get them started. The rest are merely action items.

The measure of the person can be discerned by the aspersions cast. If your words make sense, they will stand on their own. Only those who give up easily will be swayed.

Why was the decision reversed on overseas Singaporeans having to pay healthcare premiums?

Why do people still ask the same old questions about dual citizenship and NS obligations after so many years?

These are very simple questions people can keep asking why, or thinking about, until they reach a few simple truths. But then again, it's tough when people have to read the right stuff in Singapore.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are either a dishonest person or unable to comprehend English. Let me break it down in bullet points.

1. There is no law against holding more than one citizenship if you are Singaporean. So it is not offence.

2. The government has categoically stated that it does not encourage dual or multiple ctizenship. Thats their stand but it is not the law. Only an idiot cannot tell the difference. The PAP uses government agencies like People Association to campaign at each and every election. So what they say or do is not necessarily right. Don't be a gullible idiot and believe what they want you to believe.

3. The approach to seek deferment for those who migrated has not changed materially since conscription began but they have not publicly stated the policy and many kids who migrated have been classified as defaulter when they are perfectly eligible to get deferment. This is due to the lack of transparency. Some of us here help to clear the fog so that more kids do not end up unable to visit Singapore.

4. If you do not need to withdraw your CPF when you migrate, might as keep your citizenship as the practice of multiple ciizenship is gaining ground in a global world. Oz which by law disallowed holding dual ot multiple citizenship for many years has its law repealed circa 2004. Singapore cabinet discussed this quite extensively and Old Man categorically stated that it will be brough up again as no decision has been made.

5. ICA has renewed PP of people holding foreign citizenship where they have declared their foreign ctizenship. The new forms which was introduced in recent years asked a number of questions including what travel documents was used to travel if one's passport has already expired whilst outside the country. That tells you that it is done selectively. And for a reason.

6. There are privileges with citizenship such as purchase of landed property without the need for Commissioner of Land consent as an example. The notion of citizenship has nothing to do with the PAP. Its a fucking political party that has overstayed its welcome long time ago and continues to fool people who are gullible or cannot understand simple English.

Here comes the name calling.

Twist all the words you want, but that doesn't changes the fact that you are giving out bad advice based on wrong information.

Did you acquire another country's citizenship? Have you renounced SG citizenship? Have you went up to ICA and deal with them personally? I was specifically told by ICA senior case officers that the laws in SG prohibit Singaporean from holding dual citizenship. I think on this matter, they are more credible than you.

and I wonder why so many threads on migration have died off....

There are many who have shared their experience here. It's people like you, who likes to be the authority on matters which you have no personal experience in, that turns people off and stop sharing.

I think i have said enough with regards to dual nationality and how ICA treats it as it's my personal experience.

You can continue to be KING on this thread. Mic over to you.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You claimed its against the law. Now what is your stand? Show me the law. All the statutues are online.

Here comes the name calling.

Twist all the words you want, but that doesn't changes the fact that you are giving out bad advice based on wrong information.

Did you acquire another country's citizenship? Have you renounced SG citizenship? Have you went up to ICA and deal with them personally? I was specifically told by ICA senior case officers the laws in SG prohibit Singaporean from holding dual citizenship. I think on this matter, they are more credible than you.

If you have not,then you should't talk so much here.

and I wonder why so many threads on migration have died off....

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you for the article. It's rather helpful for the shallow reader, or gullible fool, isn't it? Where is the link to the statutes?

Oh wait, let me help place the text directly here. I can see that Article 134 states:

Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship

(1) The Government may, by order, deprive a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship if the Government is satisfied that —
(a) he has, while of or over the age of 18 years, at any time after 6th April 1960 acquired by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside Singapore or having so acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years continues to retain it after that age; or
(b) the citizen, being a woman who is a citizen of Singapore by registration under Article 123(2), has acquired the citizenship of any country outside Singapore by virtue of her marriage to a person who is not a citizen of Singapore.

(2) Where the Government has made an order under this Article depriving a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship, he shall cease to be a citizen with effect from the date of the order.

So... NOWHERE do I see an actual, specific declaration that it is unlawful to hold dual citizenship, or that it is prohibited.

Is it so hard to read? Or to comprehend?

What pisses me off is when people keep talking in circles and can't point to the specific law at all. This is exactly why comprehension is too complicated a word for people to understand.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Thank you for the article. It's rather helpful for the shallow reader, or gullible fool, isn't it? Where is the link to the statutes?

Oh wait, let me help place the text directly here. I can see that Article 134 states:

Deprivation of citizenship on acquisition of foreign citizenship

(1) The Government may, by order, deprive a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship if the Government is satisfied that —
(a) he has, while of or over the age of 18 years, at any time after 6th April 1960 acquired by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (other than marriage) the citizenship of any country outside Singapore or having so acquired such citizenship before the age of 18 years continues to retain it after that age; or
(b) the citizen, being a woman who is a citizen of Singapore by registration under Article 123(2), has acquired the citizenship of any country outside Singapore by virtue of her marriage to a person who is not a citizen of Singapore.

(2) Where the Government has made an order under this Article depriving a citizen of Singapore of his citizenship, he shall cease to be a citizen with effect from the date of the order.

So... NOWHERE do I see an actual, specific declaration that it is unlawful to hold dual citizenship, or that it is prohibited.

Is it so hard to read? Or to comprehend?

What pisses me off is when people keep talking in circles and can't point to the specific law at all. This is exactly why comprehension is too complicated a word for people to understand.

Thank you indig10 for sharing Article 134. As I have put in bold, the law says MAY. It does not say WILL.

Can people see the difference? It is the discretion of the government. By letter of the law, scroobal is correct. It does not say that you will be deprived of Singapore citizenship if you acquire the citizenship of another country. It only says that you may be deprived of your Singapore citizenship.

Has there been any precedent case where a person was put to jail in Singapore for holding dual citizenship? No.

Now there is a big difference between talking about whether the Singapore law "allows" or "prohibits" dual citizenship, and whether Singapore extends the full privileges of Singapore citizenship to one holding dual citizenship. For example passport renewal.

Chewed, from your experience you were verbally told by some officer that you would not be allowed to renew your Singapore passport and that it was against the law to hold dual citizenship. People can say anything. Officers can say anything. Sometimes to really know what the law is, you have to go to court. And in Singapore the courts are not impartial. We all know that here.

Chewed, if you look at your experience again, what happened was you tried to renew your Singapore passport while declaring you held dual citizenships. ICA's officers told you they would not renew it. You asked why. They said that it was because the law prohibits dual citizenship. You did not challenge them. You did not even ask for the law in writing. You did not write to ICA to ask for written clarification. And you certainly did not hire a lawyer to go to court to challenge ICA.

Now I am not expecting that people would go to the extent of going to court for this. Really? For what? The privilege to buy some landed property in Singapore? Please lah.

But it is one thing to share an experience and another to say that the LAW STATES THAT DUAL CITIZENSHIP IS PROHIBITED.

It is also one thing to say that there is no law specifically prohibiting dual citizenship and another to say that you can HAVE FULL PRIVILEGES OF SINGAPORE CITIZENSHIP EASILY DESPITE HOLDING DUAL CITIZENSHIP.

Until somebody who has enough time, money and energy and drive for whatever reason decides that he/she wants to go to court and fight this matter, will we never know what should be the proper process by precedence.

As I have said again and again, the point is moot anyway. It is ICA's decision whether to renew a Singaporean's passport. So don't expect it to be a walk in the park to get it renewed with dual citizenship. Has it been done before? Well we hear that some people have. Again that is totally still consistent with the law stating that they only MAY deprive the person of Singapore citizenship in the event of dual citizenship.

If you aren't going to challenge, then just share and say it wasn't easy renewing the SG PP and it didn't happen for you. But is there a need to name call Scroobal and imply he is spreading lies?

Fact is, no one in their right mind who already has another citizenship, when told he cannot renew his Singapore passport is going to court with Singapore on this. Neither would anyone when threatened that they will be thrown in jail if they do not renounce Singapore citizenship, risk going to jail just to prove whether they are right. Not even Scroobal.

What I suggest when discussing this law on Singaporeans holding dual citizenship is to qualify at the end that while you CAN be holding dual citizenship, it will not be easy renewing your Singapore passport as a dual citizen unless you falsely declare that you do not hold dual citizenship, which is fraud. (I suspect that's what some Singaporeans do in order to get their passports renewed. Which is why no one ever shares that here. But at the same time, Singapore and ICA is not so free to go audit everyone applying for Singapore passport renewal to see if they truly have dual citizenship despite declaring that they don't. However if they do.....then you have committed fraud)

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Nayr69sg, for writing out a detailed explanation. I'm sorry I don't have the patience to have done that. I find that the large problem with Singaporeans is that they cannot read, cannot think through or are just plain stubborn because of their own experience.

I get that people have their personal experiences and I don't discount it nor disqualify it. But to outright put down others down and brush them aside speaks volumes and points to how parochial Singaporeans tend to be. Furthermore, to insist that "my belief and experience proves it and nothing else proves otherwise" is emblematic of rigidity and stubbornness. These two traits are among the worst and most common in some Singaporeans.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Thanks Nayr69sg, for writing out a detailed explanation. I'm sorry I don't have the patience to have done that. I find that the large problem with Singaporeans is that they cannot read, cannot think through or are just plain stubborn because of their own experience.

I get that people have their personal experiences and I don't discount it nor disqualify it. But to outright put down others down and brush them aside speaks volumes and points to how parochial Singaporeans tend to be. Furthermore, to insist that "my belief and experience proves it and nothing else proves otherwise" is emblematic of rigidity and stubbornness. These two traits are among the worst and most common in some Singaporeans.

I face this problem everyday in my line of work as a family physician. Possibly because 99% of my patients are Cantonese or Mandarin Chinese.

I think it is a Chinese culture. You have to really lay it out in simple terms. Even then, they don't get it.

My way or the highway. Anyway, we can try but at the end of the day, a man convinced against his will is of his opinion still.

Last edited:

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here's the other thing that people should consider over the next 5-15 years:

Given the disastrous immigration policy which opened the floodgates, how is the government going to handle dual citizenships cases for these new citizens?

I'm not referring to Singaporeans whose parents were born in Singapore and thus Singaporean citizens without another country's citizenship.

I'm referring to Singaporeans whose parents were not born in Singapore and whose native country enshrines jus sanguinis by law e.g. Philippines as an example among others.

How will the government's handling of these cases influence or affect the unspoken treatment of dual citizenship cases?

Did people consider that?

Again, I don't have the time nor feel compelled to have to draw this out in detail but I hope readers get the gist - the government created a monster without realizing the consequences, and those who have left and are considering dual citizenship should think about the ramifications.

Why next 5-15 years? Because that's when ever-increasing numbers of new citizens have boys who reach NS age or whose parents have exercised jus sanguinis on their behalf.

Last edited: