• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The investment thread (Finally)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
We can buy gold ETF just like buying stock from singapore exchange.
I prefer this than physically buying the gold.
I think good to keep like 5-10% of total portfolio in gold.

Gold ETF = I used to buy into this but now prefer physical gold but never gold bars for me. Gold coins
are far easier to keep and dispose off. ETF carries with it a little more risk IMHO.

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can buy gold ETF just like buying stock from singapore exchange.
I prefer this than physically buying the gold.
I think good to keep like 5-10% of total portfolio in gold.

For gold investment, ETF is the best.
If you buy solid gold, you have to worry where to stash them.

Who believe next round of QE is coming?? :biggrin:

Last edited:

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gold ETF = I used to buy into this but now prefer physical gold but never gold bars for me. Gold coins
are far easier to keep and dispose off. ETF carries with it a little more risk IMHO.

I think depends on how long the investor plans to invest in gold.
If your portfolio has property that provides some gearing for long term investment, then gold ETF will be good for mid or short term since it is relatively easier to turn them into cash.
If you buy gold coin, then it would more likely be a long to mid term since I think it is quite troublesome to sell physical gold.
You see, u need to go to the bank safe box, then need to run to some jewelry shop??
Or is there an easy way to sell physical gold?? Where do u sell your physical gold?

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybank malaysia has a gold savings account. Similar to UOB Singapore gold savings product offering. Can check it out.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I think depends on how long the investor plans to invest in gold.
If your portfolio has property that provides some gearing for long term investment, then gold ETF will be good for mid or short term since it is relatively easier to turn them into cash.
If you buy gold coin, then it would more likely be a long to mid term since I think it is quite troublesome to sell physical gold.
You see, u need to go to the bank safe box, then need to run to some jewelry shop??
Or is there an easy way to sell physical gold?? Where do u sell your physical gold?

There are some online brokerages and gold coins can easily be hidden, more so than bullion.
ETF can be good but as well as go south quick so to each his own i think. Pros and cons for
every investment vehicle.

http://www.shtfplan.com/precious-metals/the-great-etf-gold-scam_03312010

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Coins, as they are struck, minted and guaranteed by their government are easier to dispose of, even through online brokerages.
Disclaimer - As of this posting, 72 days prior to today, i do not own any gold coins, bullion or ETF. I have not held any for the past year. :smile:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IRDA confident Iskandar can breach RM100bil mark by year-end
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/29/business/11928398&sec=business

JOHOR BARU: Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) is confident of breaching the RM100bil cumulative committed investments by the end of the year.

Chief executive officer Datuk Ismail Ibrahim said passing the RM100bil mark would be a major coup in proving to sceptics that Iskandar Malaysia was moving in the right direction.

He said Iskandar Malaysia had been able to withstand the challenges despite operating amid uncertainties in the global economic situation and emerge even stronger thereafter.

“Like in the stock market, it (the RM100bil mark) is the psychological breakthrough and a defining moment for all of us in Iskandar Malaysia,'' Ismail told StarBiz.... ... ... ...

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
bring money back to Sinagpore.

There are many qns and ans on sending money to malaysia to make downpayment, pay interest, reno..etc. Was there a discussion on controls over sending money back? Say u make a profit of a few hundred thousand and want to bring back to spore. How?

1) can TT from malaysia account to singapore account?

2) how much max can we withdraw cash from malaysia bank?

3) how much ringgit and foreign currency can we carry across custom (malaysia, singapore)?

4) besides property gains tax, any other tax if we want to bring funds back?

I had a hard time finding info from the web. Found some info from malaysia custom's website, but seems inaccurate. I thought we can carry up to RM 10 K per person ?
http://www.customs.gov.my/index.php/en/trade-facility/customs/94

Thanks v much !

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good question.

I was thinking for the worst case, can we bring money to Genting and convert to Singapore dollars?

Rgds

bring money back to Sinagpore.

There are many qns and ans on sending money to malaysia to make downpayment, pay interest, reno..etc. Was there a discussion on controls over sending money back? Say u make a profit of a few hundred thousand and want to bring back to spore. How?

1) can TT from malaysia account to singapore account?

2) how much max can we withdraw cash from malaysia bank?

3) how much ringgit and foreign currency can we carry across custom (malaysia, singapore)?

4) besides property gains tax, any other tax if we want to bring funds back?

I had a hard time finding info from the web. Found some info from malaysia custom's website, but seems inaccurate. I thought we can carry up to RM 10 K per person ?
http://www.customs.gov.my/index.php/en/trade-facility/customs/94

Thanks v much !

Nusajaya

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Crystal,

Gold is a good investment only if you take a long term view and when you have spare cash to put aside. This certainly not the kind of investment where you will be monitoring year in year out! Buy enough with your spare cash! So, no need to time the market will be my humble opinion. Accumulate it along the years will be my advice. I am teaching my kids to buy gold with their saved pocket money (excess cash that they dont foresee using) rather than saving it in the bank.

Cheers,
N

Guys

Is it a gd time to use cpf to buy gold now ?

Thanks

butadesu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys

Is it a gd time to use cpf to buy gold now ?

Thanks

I'm sure no one can give u a definite answer.
CPF ordinary account is already earning you 2.5% pa.
So you are expecting the GOLD ETF to earn higher than 2.5%?
I think it will depends on your faith of QE3 happening and market sentiments.