• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Halimah contemplates Presidency

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If that is the case, there is no need for a reserved erection,,,than the next one will be what? a reserved erection for chap cheng? this whole thing is a farce....a president serves all singkies not just their own race...the pappies are playing the race card and they have the gall to say others are racist.

if papigs can bah rong rong enter polling station and AGC said it not 50m within polling station, what else the papig cannot do in spore.

if Mr Wee can consider as first eRected president then papig consider 害你妈 a malay also sup sup water only.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
A rare occasion that I am in agreement with this Calvin Cheng!!

Ex-NMP Calvin Cheng: Halimah Yacob should not run for President

He says Halimah does not have the skills to manage financial reserves
Go

By all accounts, Madam Halimah Yacob is a warm, compassionate and humble person, and a popular MP; she is well-loved by her constituents. Madam Halimah has also carried out her duties as Speaker of Parliament with dignity, as the first female Speaker of Parliament in Singapore’s history.

However, I feel she should not run for the office of Elected President.

Firstly, she has been elected not only as a Member of Parliament, but as the all-important minority candidate of Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC. She owes a duty to those who elected her to stay on and fulfil her responsibilities as MP. It would also call the whole raison d’être of the GRC into question, if it is left without a minority representative. The role of Speaker of Parliament is also a ve[r]y important one. It shouldn’t be resigned from lightly.

Secondly, although the position of Speaker is equivalent to a Minister in protocol, it surely isn’t in responsibility. One reason for raising the criteria for private sector candidates (chief executive role in a 500m company) was to benchmark it to the responsibilities of a Minister, who has to manage huge billion dollar budgets and hundreds to thousands of civil servants. The Speaker of Parliament has no such equivalent responsibility. It would thus detract from the credibility of recent changes to private sector eligibility criteria, if a former Speaker were deemed to have the necessary skill-sets to guard our financial reserves.

Madam Halimah is already a highly respected MP. She has already cemented her place in history as being the first female Speaker of Parliament. Her services are arguably more needed amongst the constituents she loves, and who love her in return.

I do hope Madam Halimah will seriously consider whether to run for EP, as she is doing, and decide eventually not to.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
His second point is interesting.

Go

By all accounts, Madam Halimah Yacob is a warm, compassionate and humble person, and a popular MP; she is well-loved by her constituents. Madam Halimah has also carried out her duties as Speaker of Parliament with dignity, as the first female Speaker of Parliament in Singapore’s history.

Firstly, she has been elected not only as a Member of Parliament, but as the all-important minority candidate of Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC. She owes a duty to those who elected her to stay on and fulfil her responsibilities as MP. It would also call the whole raison d’être of the GRC into question, if it is left without a minority representative. The role of Speaker of Parliament is also a ve[r]y important one. It shouldn’t be resigned from lightly.

Secondly, although the position of Speaker is equivalent to a Minister in protocol, it surely isn’t in responsibility. One reason for raising the criteria for private sector candidates (chief executive role in a 500m company) was to benchmark it to the responsibilities of a Minister, who has to manage huge billion dollar budgets and hundreds to thousands of civil servants. The Speaker of Parliament has no such equivalent responsibility. It would thus detract from the credibility of recent changes to private sector eligibility criteria, if a former Speaker were deemed to have the necessary skill-sets to guard our financial reserves.

Madam Halimah is already a highly respected MP. She has already cemented her place in history as being the first female Speaker of Parliament. Her services are arguably more needed amongst the constituents she loves, and who love her in return.

I do hope Madam Halimah will seriously consider whether to run for EP, as she is doing, and decide eventually not to.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A good sinkie president should not get in the way of the PAP government. People like Bock who only knows how to block the way should fuck off.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The role of the president has become a joke ever since Ong Teng Cheong was chased out of office for trying to do his job.

Let them eat fish Halimah will just be another useless President just like that KFC guy & the fat Prataman. What a waste of taxpayer $$$ & this is going to continue as long as the people give the PAP a blank cheque.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The media has mentioned that she is consulting people before she decides. Who exactly is she consulting - I am curious.

Macroeconomics101

Alfrescian
Loyal

Go

There are times when personas like Calvin Cheng, Kishore, Janadas, etc, suddenly say something displaying lucidity of thought and independence of mind. It is as if for one brief moment, the "whip" on them is lifted and someone high up decided an honest take on the issue was in order.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If Halimah is as "good" as people say she is, then she should reject the offer to run for the Presidency.

That will throw a spanner into the works for LHL. I think this is the part where she has to "consult" with people about.

On one hand her conscience says no don't run. On the other hand if she falls on the wrong side of LHL then she may be sidelined in the future.

Basically she either ownself sabo ownself, or ownself betray ownself.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very inefficient and counter productive....

Now must sack all the Istana kitchen staff, change butchers and throw away all cutlery and toilet paper.

Kotekbengkok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zainul Abideen has been too much out of the limelight to be considered at this late stage. No build up, which is the PAP way. Besides he is also Indian Muslim like all the potential candidates so far, generally perceived as a loser by the public after Aljunied and just disappeared to the ME!. Too light weight. Most people dont know or remember him. If the PAP, against all odds, decides to field him, than it will be an even more of a ludicrous spectacle than it is already now.

Could be the stalking horse for Zainul Abideen. Does Calvin know something that we don't.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could be the stalking horse for Zainul Abideen. Does Calvin know something that we don't.

I am wondering too. Halimah may not want controversy to dog the rest of her life. If the Lees are not firmly in charge everyone who rose high on their coat tails, instead of sheer ability , can fall very far. Presidency may not be the sinecure it once was especially if public mood changes.

Kotekbengkok

Alfrescian
Loyal
"If the Lees are not firmly in charge everyone who rose high on their coat tails, instead of sheer ability , can fall very far." i believe this applies to a very sizeable part of the present establishment who are just gonna shift loyalties. There is not going to be a "de-Ba'athification" process. Its all about the money. The Chinese and Indians in the establishment are all very practical people with very little principles to speak of.

I am wondering too. Halimah may not want controversy to dog the rest of her life. If the Lees are not firmly in charge everyone who rose high on their coat tails, instead of sheer ability , can fall very far. Presidency may not be the sinecure it once was especially if public mood changes.