• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Personal properties for sales - No agents please

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think on the whole this living in JB forum is good place sharing infor on iskandar, it's various projects, economy and politics of Johor, malaysia, Singapore and some other understandings of China. Also, debates teach that just burying our heads in the sands(or one's imaginations) just wouldn't do.

Some people are just plain young ciku.

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think on the Malaysian side, there is more convincing to be done on the building of the RTS? Even if it helps Malaysian workers travel faster every morning, how does that improve the economy of Johor? Can they recoup the cost of building the RTS?

Can RTS attract more Singaporeans to buy properties in Iskandar to live in while still working in Singapore? This one is no guarantee. What if it doesn't happen? It could still tale at least an hour or more to use the RTS to get to work. Definitely there will be human jams at the RTS station. So many Singaporeans may still not be comfortable to live in Johor yet.

So far, I think IRDA has mentioned they already received billions of RM in Iskandar investment. I think the amount can see them through many years of development. So maybe that's why they are taking their own time to move on. New investments are always welcomed but they probably are not in a hurry to get more.

But the interesting part is that Singapore is well-prepared to connect to Johor any time via the MRT station. I wonder what this means. Can we interpret that the government is indirectly encouraging Singaporeans to live in Johor to ease the housing demand in Singapore? I don't think the PAP is dumb. They know the sentiments and have data to show many Singaporeans have bought properties in Singapore. But they can't encourage openly for Singaporeans to move north or else the commoners will slam the government.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think on the Malaysian side, there is more convincing to be done on the building of the RTS? Even if it helps Malaysian workers travel faster every morning, how does that improve the economy of Johor? Can they recoup the cost of building the RTS?

Can RTS attract more Singaporeans to buy properties in Iskandar to live in while still working in Singapore? This one is no guarantee. What if it doesn't happen? It could still tale at least an hour or more to use the RTS to get to work. Definitely there will be human jams at the RTS station. So many Singaporeans may still not be comfortable to live in Johor yet.

So far, I think IRDA has mentioned they already received billions of RM in Iskandar investment. I think the amount can see them through many years of development. So maybe that's why they are taking their own time to move on. New investments are always welcomed but they probably are not in a hurry to get more.

But the interesting part is that Singapore is well-prepared to connect to Johor any time via the MRT station. I wonder what this means. Can we interpret that the government is indirectly encouraging Singaporeans to live in Johor to ease the housing demand in Singapore? I don't think the PAP is dumb. They know the sentiments and have data to show many Singaporeans have bought properties in Singapore. But they can't encourage openly for Singaporeans to move north or else the commoners will slam the government.

Do people really think MY is so stupid to spend money to build a RTS for its own people to work in Singapore while its own Johor state is facing labor shortage? Or not collecting any taxes for Malaysian earning in Singapore? Everyone knows the RTS is for the convenience of Malaysians working in Singapore and not Singaporeans working in Malaysia.

Then people would say if RTS is built, it would benefit the properties in JB as more Singaporeans would buy. The answer is they had already bought and they won't be buying any more in large figures. And RTS would not be built at the expense of nation's security especially Singapore's.

If MY has money, it is better for them to work on their own internal transport system. Singapore can wish but wish is all they will get. It will be done but only when MY is ready and that is at the last priority. HSR and BTS will be built first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&amp]ISKANDAR PUTERI, Oct 16 ― The Johor state government is studying to introduce several new approaches in improving the public transport system in the state.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin said this included restricting heavy vehicles from entering certain areas in the city and to dedicate special lanes for the vehichle in high density roads.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He said, the government also intended to introduce other modes of transport for delivery of goods, such as trains, which was found to be cheaper and more environmental-friendly than lorries.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He told reporters after officiating Gelang Patah Bus and Taxi Terminal, TransJohor Bus service and Johor Public Transport Masterplan, here, today.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In addition, Khaled said, the government was also looking at the possibilities to set up heavy vehicles network corridor and e-logistics in efforts to have a more efficient operation of logistic system.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In addition, the government might also introduce urban logistic concept to reduce congestion in the city centre, he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“If we don’t do this, the use of lorries will continue to contribute to road congestion, damage to bridges and force us to frequently maintain the roads.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“Thus, to restrict the lorries, the Johor Public Transport Corporation can study the timing of congestion in the city and meet the industry players and brief them, once its completed,” he said. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The terminal built on a 0.7 ha site, began its construction on Sept 1, 2014 with a total cost of RM6.8 million and fully completed last Aug 2. ― Bernama[/FONT]

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

You need to think also that Malaysia is a big country, unlike Singapore. There are many states fighting for the same infrastructure budget from Federal allocation every year.
Last year, because of Sarawak state election, Budget 2016 allocated US$7 billion (RM28 billion) for the construction, widening and improvement and building of new bridges to the existing Pan Borneo Highway which is still under construction 50 years on while the Ministry of Education Budget was cut by more than 55%!!!

Attracting Singaporeans to buy properties in JB is not a major consideration for the RTS but rather another transportation mode for the 300,000 workers travelling to SG daily for work.
It only being made use and became a selling point for the property agents and public transportation solutions are targeted for locals not foreigners.

You have to read carefully what is all the billions in the Iskandar investment is all about. Just the real estate portion, the major Chinese developers (Greenland, CG and R&F) had already committed a large portion of it. Unlike, say, attracting a large manufacturing company whereby employment and supporting industry benefits; how these development eventually translate into economic growth for the area have to wait and see.

All SG had done to date is to make provision for the possibility for the construction of RTS. Land is already set aside and connectivity from the Woodlands North Station were also planned so when it's a go ahead, everything can just proceed without any problem. Anything that has some economic value, SG will not mind to participate. And even if the project is shelved or cancelled, there's nothing to lose except for the initial preparation work.

So far as the RTS is concerned, its been all talks and more talks for the last 3 years.
Now, they are hoping for allocation in Budget 2017, if nothing, they'll wait for it in Budget 2018 and if still nothing, wait for Budget 2019............... wait long long may finally get it..

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do people really think MY is so stupid to spend money to build a RTS for its own people to work in Singapore while its own Johor state is facing labor shortage? Or not collecting any taxes for Malaysian earning in Singapore? Everyone knows the RTS is for the convenience of Malaysians working in Singapore and not Singaporeans working in Malaysia.

Then people would say if RTS is built, it would benefit the properties in JB as more Singaporeans would buy. The answer is they had already bought and they won't be buying any more in large figures. And RTS would not be built at the expense of nation's security especially Singapore's.

If MY has money, it is better for them to work on their own internal transport system. Singapore can wish but wish is all they will get. It will be done but only when MY is ready and that is at the last priority. HSR and BTS will be built first.

Yes, makes sense. Johor will rather spend more money on transportation for its larger group of people than the smaller portion of those who work in SG.

Then I wonder, how on earth did the concept of "RTS" come about? Who suggested it in the first place? Sounds at first like it's been agreed upon by both sides, and that's why Singapore proceeded to build Woodlands North MRT. But now it all looks one sided.

To digress a bit, I just heard a friend tell me that there is direct bus service from Tuas to Forest City next time?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far as the RTS is concerned, its been all talks and more talks for the last 3 years.
Now, they are hoping for allocation in Budget 2017, if nothing, they'll wait for it in Budget 2018 and if still nothing, wait for Budget 2019............... wait long long may finally get it..

Hmm, yes. It's the developers (Eg Country Garden) who overemphasised RTS as a reason to buy properties in JB. And not because to attract more Singaporeans to buy properties in Iskandar, the RTS will be built.

So far, there isn't a transparent breakdown of where the billions of RM investment are coming from. But I vaguely recall the real estate portion is not the largest. Much of the RM billions are from businesses. Many are at a standstill now because of the weak global economy perhaps. But once we're out of it, I think the construction and businesses will start rolling in. Even Singapore's Capitaland is stuck at Danga Bay.

By building Woodlands North MRT to prepare for RTS, I'm not sure how Singapore benefits. It's more like Singaporeans will go to Johor to shop or even buy properties there, rather than Johoreans coming over to shop in ultra expensive Singapore.

So that's why I said earlier could this be an indirect hint of encouragement from the government that eventually they want some Singaporeans to move over there? Ok, I may be thinking too much, ever since that Khaw Boon Wan hinted Johor nursing homes are so much cheaper than SG's. :smile:

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, yes. It's the developers (Eg Country Garden) who overemphasised RTS as a reason to buy properties in JB. And not because to attract more Singaporeans to buy properties in Iskandar, the RTS will be built.

So far, there isn't a transparent breakdown of where the billions of RM investment are coming from. But I vaguely recall the real estate portion is not the largest. Much of the RM billions are from businesses. Many are at a standstill now because of the weak global economy perhaps. But once we're out of it, I think the construction and businesses will start rolling in. Even Singapore's Capitaland is stuck at Danga Bay.

By building Woodlands North MRT to prepare for RTS, I'm not sure how Singapore benefits. It's more like Singaporeans will go to Johor to shop or even buy properties there, rather than Johoreans coming over to shop in ultra expensive Singapore.

So that's why I said earlier could this be an indirect hint of encouragement from the government that eventually they want some Singaporeans to move over there? Ok, I may be thinking too much, ever since that Khaw Boon Wan hinted Johor nursing homes are so much cheaper than SG's. :smile:

Actually right until now, exact location for both HSR and RTS remain unknown. Although it is rumour (or officially agak agak to be) in bukit chargar and near gerbang nusajaya, to date, none of the land had been legally acquire or even set aside yet...unlike singapore already plan early early jurong golf club and woodland north land, ady set aside liao. My reliable intel told me, lands leading up to gerbang nusajaya, land transaction already all freezed, and RTS land going to issue section 4 notice...meaning land acquisition is quite around the corner. My only concern is the budget issue, if not money allocated, then will be like what snowbird said, need to wait longer liao. Because even the IRDA officer also knew the impact for those public transport to be implemented....not they purposely suka suka dun care, delay. If next budget have no news for both, then might means politically Johor had been kena by BN gov, maybe the federal beh song liao, treat them like penang. Or new party might be getting stronger in johor....or just simply no money...that would quite complex if think deeper.

Regarding what tekkun had said, is an interesting hypothesis, coz recently there is totally no news at all for RTS. If next budget do not touch on RTS but only HSR, then what he said might be true....but for me, I do not believe malaysia government can think so deep (and is not quite right since ppl still stay in JB)...and this kind of thing is not one way answer, no income tax then they dont want to build. What about increase investor confident leh, make singaporean more easy to spend in JB leh (increase consumption-->increase GDP), tourism money leh. White collar labour many ady work in sg, unless they totally block them. Blue collars still can use bangla. Increase people who work in singapore and reside in JB, will make more people coming to JB to earn consumption money from those who work in sg and reside in jb. Build RTS, market will be integrated, pie will be bigger, benefit for all.

Under this logic, HSR negative impact is even greater than RTS. KL talents will attracted to singapore, come to sg via HSR and balik kampung once in a while, more would just work in sg and stay in jb frequently.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

So far there were little info on type or nature of foreign investment coming into Iskandar. However, property development by the Chinese developers is definitely taking up a large portion of the "foreign investment" as it is not only building residential blocks but also the multi billion massive land reclamation works by R&F in town area and FC in the west.

The Woodlands North Station was part of the Thomson Line from the start. The location of this station is mainly to serve the Republic Poly, the Woodlands / Senoko Industrial Park and residents in northern Woodlands.。
After the RTS proposal, LTA immediately set aside land and made provisions for future extension from the station while on JB side, even till now, the rail alignment and terminal point is still not confirmed.

Sending old folks to nursing homes and moving families to JB is entirely different, you are really thinking too much.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
To digress a bit, I just heard a friend tell me that there is direct bus service from Tuas to Forest City next time?
Don't believe too much. If it's going to be a public bus transportation from Malaysia, they will have to first seek approval from the LTA, which will only collaborate if there is a reciprocal intention from Singapore, meaning either from SBS or SMRT.

The present CW bus service between Jurong East & Bukit Indah is in exchange for SBS bus number 160, which plies between Jurong East and JB. You may also recall that both services started at almost the same time.

Public transportation links between 2 countries (in this region) work exactly like the protocols in the airline industries. If only 1 country is proposing whilst the other has no intention to operate a comparable service, then most likely the latter will not approve the permit. Nobody wants to incur lost revenue to the other.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my opinion, I think Singapore is not too keen on the MRT link because it will incur potential lost revenue when more people from Singapore will go to JB to shop, dine and for entertainment, especially due to the added convenience. They are just making the proposal in order to pacify the Singapore/Malaysia relationship, but behind the scene, I think they hope that such a service will be greatly delayed. Otherwise, they would have long implemented changes and make vast improvements to the immigration clearance bottleneck at the Woodlands CIQ.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, makes sense. Johor will rather spend more money on transportation for its larger group of people than the smaller portion of those who work in SG.

Then I wonder, how on earth did the concept of "RTS" come about? Who suggested it in the first place? Sounds at first like it's been agreed upon by both sides, and that's why Singapore proceeded to build Woodlands North MRT. But now it all looks one sided.

RTS was proposed by the MY govt, in exchange for KTM land. It's logical that both sides are keen on RTS and HSR, given that it will help to develop Iskandar Puteri and JB CBD areas (MY side), and Jurong/Woodlands hubs (SG side).

For SG, the Thomson side of the Thomson-East Coast Line will only open in 2021, and given that RTS only entails 2 stations, I believe both sides have calculated that there is still time to complete the project, if not in 2021, by 2023.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
RTS was proposed by the MY govt, in exchange for KTM land. It's logical that both sides are keen on RTS and HSR, given that it will help to develop Iskandar Puteri and JB CBD areas (MY side), and Jurong/Woodlands hubs (SG side).

For SG, the Thomson side of the Thomson-East Coast Line will only open in 2021, and given that RTS only entails 2 stations, I believe both sides have calculated that there is still time to complete the project, if not in 2021, by 2023.

RTS is no longer mentioned.......

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/10/17/najib-cuts-wont-affect-lrt-mrt-and-hsr/
---------------------------------------

KUALA LUMPUR: The reduction in the Government’s expenditure will not affect the country’s major rail projects such as the high speed rail (HSR) link to Singapore, mass rapid transit (MRT) and light rail transit (LRT), said the Prime Minister.
Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said the Government remained committed to transforming the land public transport industry, in order to meet the goal of having 40% of commuters in Peninsular Malaysia using public transport by 2030.

“Even in these challenging economic times, we have structured the reduction in Government expenditure such that it will not affect public service delivery, and the development projects under the 11th Malaysia Plan.

“Key infrastructure projects such as the High-Speed Rail link to Singapore; the MRT, and LRT, are all still going ahead,” Najib said when opening a symposium on land public transportation here that was organised by the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD).

Najib said the Government had spent more than RM70bil to improve land public transportation since 2010.
On the HSR project, Najib said Malaysia and Singapore had already signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) in June.

“The MoU sets in place the foundation of this project, which will be sealed by a bilateral agreement to be signed by Malaysia and Singapore which is targeted for the of this year,” the Prime Minister added.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK, seeing all the replies, with RTS nowhere in sight now, how do we resolve the jam issue at the causeway and 2nd link? Do you all think the situation will remain the same or improve?

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK, seeing all the replies, with RTS nowhere in sight now, how do we resolve the jam issue at the causeway and 2nd link? Do you all think the situation will remain the same or improve?

2nd link de, HSR will have 3 route using the same rail. According to plan (ok plan again, at least better than nothing), there will be more frequent journey btw iskandar puteri and sg via their express hsr route.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
2nd link de, HSR will have 3 route using the same rail. According to plan (ok plan again, at least better than nothing), there will be more frequent journey btw iskandar puteri and sg via their express hsr route.

The real problem is Immigration, not the links.

jbrts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think to Malaysia government, this is not something critical or urgent. The jam happen for decades already. Those who want to work in Singapore will still embrace the jam.