• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Russia jails student who followed IS lover to Syria

Rasputin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Russia jails student who followed IS lover to Syria

AFP on December 23, 2016, 3:14 am

585bf269a7134_516e84412a840d2ac6c57902852f0f246c226b37.jpg

Moscow (AFP) - A Russian military court on Thursday sentenced a 21-year-old student who tried to enter Syria after falling in love with an Islamic State jihadist to four and a half years in prison.

Varvara Karaulova was detained last year after she tried to cross into war-torn Syria from Turkey while still a philosophy undergraduate at the renowned Moscow State University.

Judge Alexander Ababkov said in court that the "criminal activity of the defendant continued for quite a long time" and that Karaulova had a criminal intention.

He said she was a "supporter of radical Islamist views" and decided to join IS, aware of the jihadist group's aim to "create an Islamic caliphate."

Karaulova was charged last year with preparing to participate in a "terrorist organisation", but pleaded not guilty, saying she was motivated by love for a Russian jihadist fighting in Syria.

Karaulova, her dark hair in a pony-tail, looked calm as the judge read the verdict, watched by family members including her parents and stepmother.

Defence lawyer Sergei Badamshin told reporters it was a "very harsh, unjustified sentence" and "we have already appealed."

Prosecutor Mikhail Reznichenko said his side, which had requested a five-year sentence, was satisfied with the decision.

Karaulova's lawyers argued that the authorities are trying to make an example of her to warn off other young Russians from trying to head to Syria, where Moscow is conducting a bombing campaign in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Her father Pavel Karaulov condemned the sentence as "absurd."

He told reporters outside the court that he now regrets having gone to the authorities when his daughter disappeared, saying: "I made a mistake... by turning to those who should protect our security."

Lawyer Ilya Novikov said that sentence sent a message to parents in a similar situation that "you mustn't go to the FSB (security service), you mustn't believe the state."

- 'Stupid escapade' -

In her last words in court on Wednesday, a weeping Karaulova said her attempt to cross into Syria was "all a mistake, a very stupid reckless act."

"I have realised all my mistakes and my stupidity," she said. "I dream of making amends for my guilt for all this stupid escapade."

In 2012, while still a teenager, Karaulova met a man named Airat Samatov online and they wrote to each for three years without ever meeting.

Samatov went to Syria in 2014 and told her he was fighting for IS.

Karaulova converted to Islam and began wearing a hijab.

She disappeared without warning in May 2015, prompting a frantic search by her parents. They found that she had flown to Turkey and travelled to the border with other women hoping to join men fighting for IS.

Turkish border guards detained the group and she was forced to fly back to Russia with her father. Investigators initially said she was being treated as a witness before arresting her in October 2015.

Her case is particularly unusual in Russia since her family is not Muslim.

AFP

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal

:
:
Her father Pavel Karaulov condemned the sentence as "absurd."

He told reporters outside the court that he now regrets having gone to the authorities when his daughter disappeared, saying: "I made a mistake... by turning to those who should protect our security."
:
:

An irrational father who prefers a dead daughter in a foreign land instead of a living one in homeland - strange but true if the story is real.

kaufen

Alfrescian
Loyal
In her last words in court on Wednesday, a weeping Karaulova said her attempt to cross into Syria was "all a mistake, a very stupid reckless act."