• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Red Devils 2017-2018

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fixtures for coming weeks (BST)

Saturday 19th August 2017
PREMIER LEAGUE
Swansea
12:30
Man Utd

Saturday 26th August 2017
PREMIER LEAGUE
Man Utd
17:30
Leicester

Saturday 9th September 2017
PREMIER LEAGUE
Stoke
17:30
Man Utd

Sunday 17th September 2017
PREMIER LEAGUE
Man Utd
16:00
Everton

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Swansea should be easy pickings with both llorente and sigursson having their heads turned.

In fact Swansea will probably go down this season.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jose Mourinho wants Zlatan Ibrahimovic back at Manchester United
as a coach as club discuss role in talks over new deal

[FONT=&amp]Club sources say Mourinho sees Ibrahimovic as a similar figure to Didier Drogba, who can offer the squad expertise and experience, but also serve as a bridge between manager and players

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...new-contract-deal-jose-mourinho-a7896316.html[/FONT]

zlatan-ibrahimovic-2.jpg

Jose Mourinho sees Zlatan Ibrahimovic as a key member of the Manchester United dressing room

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be set for a coaching role at Manchester United once his playing career finishes, as The Independentunderstands the prospect has already been discussed in preliminary talks about a potential new contract.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Swedish international is currently out with a serious knee injury picked up in the Europa League win over Anderlecht in April, with that his last game for the club before his last deal ran out in June.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]With Ibrahimovic eager to play again, talks have been staged with United over a new contract, with Jose Mourinho also keen to keep around a player whose influence on the squad he sees as key.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]That has also been the thinking behind a possible coaching role once the 35-year-old eventually retires, and that has already been broached in discussions. Club sources say Mourinho sees Ibrahimovic as a similar figure to Didier Drogba, who can offer the squad expertise and experience, but also serve as a bridge between manager and players.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Mourinho confirmed last week that talks had started over a new deal.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“We are discussing the possibility of him to stay with us,” the Portuguese said in Macedonia, when performing media duties for the Uefa Super Cup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It was very clear from him that what he did last year was not enough for him. He wants more football at the highest level so we are having conversations and discussing the possibility of him staying for the second part of the season.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"He is injured, he needs time to recover, and is not ready to play tomorrow. It’s not something that’s urgent, it’s not desperate to have it done or not.”[/FONT]

[/FONT]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Away to Swans, can makan (on paper at least)? :o

TEAM NEWS

Swansea forward Fernando Llorente is back in training after fracturing his arm
in a cycling accident last month but he will not face Manchester United.

Tammy Abraham is likely to make his home debut, while £11m recruit Roque Mesa awaits his competitive bow.

Manchester United remain without injured trio Luke Shaw, Ashley Young and Marcos Rojo.
Summer signing Victor Lindelof could again be left out of the squad while he adapts to the English game.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Guy Mowbray: "They ended last season well and have only been beaten once at home since January, but on the evidence of these teams' opening games it is hard to make any sort of case for Swansea here.
"With Gylfi Sigurdsson gone and Fernando Llorente still injured, the Swans have lost their main goal creator and scorer - and if that meant few chances at Southampton, it ought to signify precious little chance of beating United.
"Jose Mourinho's side were superb last Sunday, with some of their football against West Ham a clear demonstration of the confidence he repeatedly emphasised post-match.
"He looks to have got his mojo back. It's a 'second season' thing."
Twitter: @Guymowbray

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Swansea City head coach Paul Clement: "My message to the fans would be that the club wants to move forward, we want to improve our squad and our style.
"It is a big challenge replacing Gylfi [Sigurdsson], but I hope we can potentially bring in two or three players to strengthen us in various positions.
"We don't have superstars here, everyone gives their best for each other."

• Think you can do better than Lawro? Predict the score for this match and the rest of this round's Premier League fixtures in our Predictor game

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Manchester United are vying to earn back-to-back away wins in this fixture for the first time.
  • Swansea have only lost three of their 14 home games against United in all divisions (W8, D3).
  • The Swans have not kept a clean sheet against Manchester United in 14 meetings since a goalless top-flight draw in December 1982.
Swansea City

• The Swans have won nine of their 20 Premier League matches since Paul Clement was appointed as head coach. Their tally of 30 points during that time is the eighth best record in the division.
  • Swansea's current six-match unbeaten run (W4, D2) is their longest in the Premier League since a run of seven games between December 2012 and January 2013.
  • Clement's side ended last season with three successive home wins and have only lost once in eight league games at the Liberty Stadium.
  • The only time Swansea have failed to score in their opening two matches of a top-flight season came in their debut Premier League campaign in 2011-12.
Manchester United

• The 4-0 thrashing of West Ham last Sunday is United's biggest margin of victory under Jose Mourinho in the Premier League. They scored four goals in just one league fixture last season, when beating Leicester 4-1 in September.
  • United are seeking a first Premier League away win in five attempts. They only managed two points and one goal in their final four away fixtures of 2016-17.
  • Jose Mourinho's side have kept an unrivalled 12 clean sheets in the Premier League this calendar year.
  • Mourinho is unbeaten in all seven matches as a manager against Swansea (W5, D2), winning on all three visits to the Liberty Stadium.
  • Romelu Lukaku has gone six games without a goal against Swansea in all competitions.

SAM's verdict
Most probable score: 0-2Probability of draw: 19%
Probability of home win: 11%Probability of away win: 70%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Truth be told, Lindelof was on United's radar for quite a while b4 they made a move for him. There aren't that may good central defenders and he's one with potential and looks easy on the ball. Loves to move forward,good vision and plays the long and short balls well.

Mou was obviously looking for qualities other than those he already possessed in Smalling, Jones and Bailly. Above all, he's not the injury prone type, played in most if not all of Benfica's game. As I've said earlier, you cannot get the best out of players if they end up in the recovery room after a few games.

Not every player can adapt to the English League instantly. Eriksen took a while before settling in. You have to adapt to the new environment, the pace, colleagues and manager's expectation and tactics. There are lots of adjustments to be made. Even peacock took a while to adjust. It's all about patience and confidence. If he comes good which I believe he will, Man Utd would have solved the biggest puzzle since Fergie's time and we can look forward to a promising future.:biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whether Zlatan comes in as coach/player in the second half of the season, he'll provide the impetus and X factor that will see United achieve possibly the treble.:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Truth be told, Lindelof was on United's radar for quite a while b4 they made a move for him. There aren't that may good central defenders and he's one with potential and looks easy on the ball. Loves to move forward,good vision and plays the long and short balls well.

Mou was obviously looking for qualities other than those he already possessed in Smalling, Jones and Bailly. Above all, he's not the injury prone type, played in most if not all of Benfica's game. As I've said earlier, you cannot get the best out of players if they end up in the recovery room after a few games.

Not every player can adapt to the English League instantly. Eriksen took a while before settling in. You have to adapt to the new environment, the pace, colleagues and manager's expectation and tactics. There are lots of adjustments to be made. Even peacock took a while to adjust. It's all about patience and confidence. If he comes good which I believe he will, Man Utd would have solved the biggest puzzle since Fergie's time and we can look forward to a promising future.:biggrin:
I beg to differ a bit. The biggest jigsaw missing since Fergie is Keane and Scholes. Shawcross Keane Evans could be our lynchpins if given the patience.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ a bit. The biggest jigsaw missing since Fergie is Keane and Scholes. Shawcross Keane Evans could be our lynchpins if given the patience.

Keane is irreplaceable,our captain marvel who will go all in and won't flinch from 50-50 balls. His leadership in the squad stands out, leads by example. The best captain after Bryan Robson. FYI, Pogba is Scholes replacement.

Evans is a farking joke and he's not the sort that can handle pressure. Shawcross and Keane more likely to succeed. In fact, I prefer the tofu legs to Evans. At least he doesn't chicken out from challenges.:biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rashford as usual shot straight to the keeper. Not the sharpest tool. If he continues to miss opportunities, it would only be a matter of time before Mou decides to bench him. Fortunately, the 75 million pound thrash is on good scoring form. I 'll wait and see if he can keep it up against stronger opponents.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Evans is a farking joke and he's not the sort that can handle pressure. Shawcross and Keane more likely to succeed. In fact, I prefer the tofu legs to Evans. At least he doesn't chicken out from challenges.:biggrin:
Can't disagree on Evans, kinda nervy bloke at the rear -not confidence inspiring. But now MC's mulling on 30mil offer by WBA, with gilt edged resume of 9 years with OT :cool:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't disagree on Evans, kinda nervy bloke at the rear -not confidence inspiring. But now MC's mulling on 30mil offer by WBA, with gilt edged resume of 9 years with OT :cool:

With the money spent on defenders, not surprised that they're looking for cheap buys for cover. Stones is the weak link in the back 4 for City. Guardiola is rebuilding the team from the back and as they say you won't lose if you don't concede.:biggrin:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take advantage of Barca being dismantled. Someone mentioned we still need a CB and LB. pique & alba comes to mind.

Iniesta and Makelele are probably the most intelligent footballers of their time. The former can unlock any defence. We have players with the football brains-Mata,Herrera, Matic, Carrick, Blind, Pogba and Henrikh. Adding Iniesta can only strengthen the club even if it is for a short while.

I wouldn't take Pique back. His performance for Barca over the years have been dismal to say the least. If you put a gun to my head and to spend 222 million Euros, I'd pick Messi. He'll light up Old Trafford for sure. Maybe we should get agent P to broker that deal.:biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope the lion's roar keeps up on the pitch

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Manchester United re-sign striker on one-year deal
Zlatan Ibrahimovic slots home for Man Utd. Manchester United have re-signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic on a one-year contract.

The 35-year-old former Sweden striker made 46 appearances and scored 28 goals for United last season.

Ibrahimovic was released by the club in June after his season was ended prematurely by a knee injury, but he is expected to be fit again in December.

"After his contribution last season he deserves our trust and we will be patient waiting for him to return," said manager Jose Mourinho.

I have been working hard and will continue to do so to make sure I am in the best possible condition for my return to the pitch

Ibrahimovic, who initially joined the Red Devils on free transfer in July 2016, had been recuperating at United's training ground after knee surgery.

Mourinho added: "We are delighted Zlatan is on the road to recovery and we are equally delighted to have his ambition and experience back with us.

Juan Mata hails return of 'big presence' Zlatan Ibrahimovic
"I have no doubt that he will be important in the second part of the season."

Two Los Angeles-based Major League Soccer clubs, LA Galaxy and Los Angeles FC, were both interested in signing the striker this summer.

However, Ibrahimovic said: "It was always mine and the club's intention for me to stay."

He added: "I cannot wait to get back out on that Old Trafford pitch, but I also know that I have to take my time to make sure that I am ready.

"I have been working hard and will continue to do so to make sure I am in the best possible condition for my return to the pitch."

Ibrahimovic made his debut for hometown club Malmo in 1999 and went on to play for Ajax, Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan and PSG. He has won a trophy in every season since 2001, including 13 league titles.

He retired from international football after Sweden's exit from Euro 2016, having scored 62 goals in 116 appearances.

Ibrahimovic said he turned down offers from "a couple of teams who wanted 'Ibra-kadabra'" but chose to rejoin United
because "we had such a great year" last season.

"I come back to finish what I started," he told ESPN.

"There is a big chance of me going to the MLS. There were some talks but I am not done yet with what I started,
which is why I am going back to Man Utd."

On his continuing rehabilitation from knee injury, Ibrahimovic added: "I am not done yet. I will decide when I am done.
Lions don't recover like humans.

"When I come back I don't want to be something I wasn't. I want to be the one I was and even better. So it means I have to train even harder.

"In the beginning when it happened, it was something new for me because it was a big injury, this is the first major injury and was a different situation because I've been playing 15-20 years.

"But I feel good. I am strong."

Ibrahimovic said he also believes the United squad has been significantly strengthened by this summer's new arrivals.

"I am happy Romelu Lukaku came. We are stronger than we were last year. He has different qualities from me and [Marcus] Rashford.

"Lukaku called me and said 'bro, can I have the number nine?' I said I was not going to make it difficult for him
- but I was going to take the number 10. I never left. I just upgraded my number.

"The signing of [Nemanja] Matic is big. He brings a stability to the team that the team didn't have last year. He is the important one."

What has Ibrahimovic won?
Ajax: Eredivisie (2001-02, 2003-04), Dutch Cup (2002) Dutch Super Cup (2003)

Juventus: Serie A (2004-05, 2005-06) *Juve later stripped of titles

Inter: Serie A (2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09) Italian Super Cup (2006, 2008)

Barcelona: La Liga (2009-10), Spanish Super Cup (2009, 2010), Uefa Super Cup (2009), Fifa Club World Cup (2009)

AC Milan: Serie A (2010-11) Italian Super Cup (2011)

PSG: Ligue 1 (2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16), French Cup (2015, 2016), League Cup (2014, 2015, 2016) French Super Cup (2013, 2014, 2015)

Man Utd: Community Shield (2016), League Cup (2016-17), Europa League (2016-17)

'It will be an eagerly awaited return' - analysis by BBC Sport's Simon Stone

Until the point at which he ruptured his cruciate ligament at the end of April, it seemed certain Ibrahimovic
would stay at United for a second season.

In the five weeks between Ibrahimovic injuring himself in a Europa League tie with Anderlecht and the
Premier League's retained list being published, it seems a decision was made, in principle, that the 35-year-old
would stay if his recovery went well.

United allowed Ibrahimovic to use their medical facilities for his rehabilitation.

During their pre-season tour of the United States, midfielder Paul Pogba said the striker had been the same presence
in the dressing room as he had been all along.

All the club and player needed to do was be sure the recovery was going well.

It obviously is, even if talk of a return to action next month is overestimating even Ibrahimovic's powers of recovery.

Mourinho is looking at the second half of the season, and it is understood a reduced contract reflects the fact Ibrahimovic cannot yet play.

There is a question over how the striker can play in the same team as Romelu Lukaku, but that answer is not required for a while yet.

With Wayne Rooney gone, Ibrahimovic has the prestigious number 10 shirt to replace the number nine that has gone to Lukaku.

And Ibrahimovic being the man he is, we are bound to see plenty of him before he makes that eagerly awaited first-team return.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41040655

Last edited:

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure they won't rush him to play. IMO, it was a clever move by Woodward to negotiate now for a much reduced remuneration package rather than wait till January. They need another striker for sure on the evidence of the first two games. I'm certain Wood would have consulted the medical team before deciding. Besides it will give Ibra the peace of mind with wages and the best rehab care. He'll be as good as new when he returns and we may very well see the best of Ibra at Old Trafford. He's a popular character with the fans and players.

Methinks this will be United's season and if the CL's draw is anything to go by, we may just achieve the treble again.:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He should partner iba and lukaku with rashford and mikathyran on both flanks. We will have lord of the rings - the twin towers. I doubt any team is able to stop them.

But it will be perfect if he can snag a winger.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Having a winger would be ideal. It's the key to unlocking tight defence and the perfect recipe to improve goal tally. That's the way Manchester United plays since the days of Gordon Hill and Steve Coppell, Ryan Giggs, Lee Sharpe and Andrei Kanchelski. They play to thrill!!!!!:biggrin: