• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"abuden?"

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;EuRhT2TqEUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EuRhT2TqEUE[/video]

"ABUDEN?"....... did the expression originated from the Hokkien "Arbo?" and the English "then?"...?

Listen to the final song "If I don't stay" by Darren Ashley...... great song by a local kid....

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Second video better - can try out the table on the waiter, buying clothes on the cashier and see what happens

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did not hear of this phase till about 20 years ago....

It seems to be in use on both sides of the causeway.

Linguists should investigate this strange mix of 2 languages into Singlish/Manglish......

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did not hear of this phase till about 20 years ago....

It seems to be in use on both sides of the causeway.

Linguists should investigate this strange mix of 2 languages into Singlish/Manglish......

My interpretation of word "abuden": -

1 It is made up of two parts, one from Teochew (maybe Hokkien) and the other part from English. The word consists of two parts "abu" = "ahhh bor???" translated in English = " if not...???" and "den" = "then wtf" (as in 'then, what the fuck' in English).

2 Taken together, the word 'abuden' is a sacarastic reply to a silly question or a response to a very self obvious situation. Example, during video, aunty is watering the plants, and guy comes along, sees her watering the plants and asks if she is watering the plants. Obviously, she is watering the plants!!. But being annoyed with such a silly question she then replies sacarstically that 'she is giving the caterpillars a bath!.... abuden".

The long explanation of her answer is..."yes, I am watering the plants, you obviously see it and know it but you still come and ask me such an obvious self evident question? So, I am miffed and tell you instead that I am giving the caterpillars a bath... "if" I am "not" watering the plants, "then, wtf" am I doing?, and why must you come and ask me such a silly question?...." Same goes with the other situations depicted in the video.

Okay do???:biggrin:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'Abuden' is a portmanteau of the Hokkien/Teochew 'ah boh' (阿无) and English 'then'.

The Singlish equivalent is 'if not, then?'

Phrase is used to imply that the questioner is asking a silly question or making self-evident comment which doesn't deserve a reply.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
'Abuden' is a portmanteau of the Hokkien/Teochew 'ah boh' (阿无) and English 'then'.

The Singlish equivalent is 'if not, then?'

Phrase is used to imply that the questioner is asking a silly question or making self-evident comment which doesn't deserve a reply.

"ahbuden" is simply a contraction of "Ah, But Then?".

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will this Singlish word take root? or will it go the way of several words which disappeared from use as in :

OBIANG - strange, unconventional, usually referring to fashion or trends....

LPPL - Lan Pah, Pah Lan - meaning "same difference"

No one uses these nowadays......

jw5

Loyal
LPPL - Lan Pah, Pah Lan - meaning "same difference"

No one uses these nowadays......

This phrase is used all the time in this forum, even used to be the nickname of a forummer when the forum was in delphi.......................

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube;1X4iXjpbX3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1X4iXjpbX3o[/video]

After eating her...... abuden?