• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

First Ng Teng Fong Hospital, now Darren Loh Block.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Presidential candidate and doctor Tan Cheng Bock was unhappy that the Far East Organisation got to name the hospital Ng Teng Fong Hospital (the founder of Far East Organisation) by contributing only 10% of the building cost.

Now David Loh get to name an entire block in memory of his dead son Darren Loh by contributing only $1m to "help allay the costs" of building. So David Loh did not foot the bill for the whole building.

1. Shouldn't the donor contribute 100% if they want to name the building after someone?

2. My sympathy to the dead student Darren Loh and his family but Darren is not the first student to die in ACS. So why is he so special that he has a building named after him? Is is because of $1 million dollar?

[h=1]Tycoon funds ACS school building to remember son who died on school trip[/h][h=2]ACS (International) building funded by $1 million from tycoon, whose son died during a school trip
[/h]
By Amelia Teng

<!--start of story text-->When tycoon David Loh Kim Kang's son collapsed and died while on an overseas school trip in May, he did not blame the school.

He blamed himself instead, and even gave Anglo-Chinese School (International) $1 million for a brand-new building.
Tha
t building, named the Darren Loh Block after his 17-year-old son, has a library, classrooms, a seminar room and a server room to meet information technology needs. Students have been using it since January, and Mr Loh's donation helped to allay the costs.

"Maybe the school's gesture in naming the building block after him is to inspire more students to be brave and do more for those who are in need, just as my son lost his life helping those in need," said the former UOB Kay Hian remisier who now controls Centurion Properties Group.
<!--end of story text-->

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
RIP to the dead
and of course, its becase of the one million,,,, despite whatever BS they going to say

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
we should not.allow this while.we.feel
sorry for Mr. Loh.loss.of his beloved son
this naming of.buildings based on monetary donation sends the wrong message.
We should name buildings after people who contributed to society and possess the right values we wish to build on

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I've got Sam Leong Road and Sam Leong Mansion without having to pay a single cent.

DSC_0072.jpg

sam_leong_mansion_00001.JPG

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is apt because both are known for their sleazy activities, the same kind which you started off from.

Both places are associated with the word, "sam seng "...ha ha ha ha

If this is a trend, then every millionaire will donate money, & name any road, building, estate, whatever including a cul de sac after their mother, sister, brother, father, son after them??

Soon, we will have to rename suntec to KHONG HEE after the decides to donate all his earthly possession & become a pauper, as in :

Matthew 19: 16- 22 (NASB)

16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 Then he *said to Him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; 19 Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man *said to Him, “All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 22 But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieving; for he was one who owned much property.

after he spoke to Abba!, Abba! and this is what, God had told him...he donated all his earthly possession to the church & they bought Suntec...hmmm!!

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can also do it by donating. What is there to be unhappy about?
I don't see anything wrong with donors naming buildings or rooms within an institution. donors also getting naming rights for scholarships.

OTOH, an entire hospital or school is a different matter. This should be reserved for people who has done great things, and not tagged to donotion. This will send the message that doing great things is more important than giving donation.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe the school's understanding of the donation is different from that of the donor's.
The school might just be renting "naming rights" for 10 years.
After that, "naming rights" go to the next highest bidder.

Of course, none of this is said now. All anyone will say is probably, We do not know what the future holds. :rolleyes:

All the above is just my guess. :o

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't see anything wrong with donors naming buildings or rooms within an institution. donors also getting naming rights for scholarships.

OTOH, an entire hospital or school is a different matter. This should be reserved for people who has done great things, and not tagged to donotion. This will send the message that doing great things is more important than giving donation.

Doing "great" things more important than mere donations
Jumbo jet fitted out as flying hospital for Gecko dearest
That should be great enough an example for all to follow
For this we should name a hospital after that Harry Baboon

Oops, I forgot to mention this:

At least PAP pays GD, Lock, me and many others PAP IB double for working on public holidays.

Last edited:

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Isn't it the same as using $$ to buy yr Degrees to yr requirements.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Maybe the school's gesture in naming the building block after him is to inspire more students to be brave and do more for those who are in need, just as my son lost his life helping those in need," said the former UOB Kay Hian remisier who now controls Centurion Properties Group.
<!--end of story text-->[/QUOTE]

Property again!

Shows Spore has absolutely no new wealth generating method other than property!
No wonder need 7 mil pple; otherwise how can ppty price keep going up and up?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With due respect to the Late Darren Loh, will the school name the blk after him if his father did not donate any money?

This fits right into what the PAP has been in the last 2 decades-ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Just one example-you see all these prime time adverts on TV-mostly by property developers.
The property developers in sillipore are making record profits while the ordinary folks are struggling to make a living.
Is it the role of govt to make the property developers fat?
Which family got a discount on property purchase and have to explain in parliament?

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
With due respect to the Late Darren Loh, will the school name the blk after him if his father did not donate any money?

This fits right into what the PAP has been in the last 2 decades-ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

Just one example-you see all these prime time adverts on TV-mostly by property developers.
The property developers in sillipore are making record profits while the ordinary folks are struggling to make a living.
Is it the role of govt to make the property developers fat?

Agreed. In fact I would go even further. DL was too young to have made any significant contribution to wider society, as such it is inappropriate to name a building after him. The parents could have honoured their son in a meaningful and less cheesy manner that does not court controversy.

Generations to come when students of ACS stop and ask why the building is named as such, they will be puzzled to learn that you simply needed to die and belong to wealthy parents to get such an accolade. A right message?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agreed. In fact I would go even further. DL was too young to have made any significant contribution to wider society, as such it is inappropriate to name a building after him. The parents could have honoured their son in a meaningful and less cheesy manner that does not court controversy.

Generations to come when students of ACS stop and ask why the building is named as such, they will be puzzled to learn that you simply needed to die and belong to wealthy parents to get such an accolade. A right message?

DL father has a Million..."you have".....why is the school founded on faith. allowing this to happen?? soon, you have have flower beds named after somebody mother, who donated $50,000, grandma liked the fish pond with the kois, donated $100,000 was named after her...& someone father's decided that the school toilets ought to be five stars hotel standard donated $500,000 to upgrade them, with cold/hot plumbing & gold fixtures, they named the toilets after him...WHERE WILL IT END?

One lesser mortal studying there could only out $5 in the tin, sob!, sob!..had the waste paper basket named after his dad... ha ha ha ha

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
DL father has a Million..."you have".....why is school founded on faith. allowing this to happen??

I know of another school that faced a similar predicament many years ago when someone wanted naming rights to a school hall. The school politely countered the benefactor's generous offer by suggesting that he could provide one-off scholarships to poor students. The counter-offer was not taken up.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'll be more impressed if a school, hospital, MRT station or road is named after the legendary philanthropist 'Chow Chee Bai'.