• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tian Tian Chicken Rice Chef sacked after slapping incident

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
1290.jpg

Fans of famous Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice flocked to the new stall opened by its ex-chef two stalls away yesterday and today.

That was after the media reported that Mr Wong Liang Tai, 53, decided to start his own business after he was fired following a spat.

As Tian Tian stall was closed today, it was only natural that fans hopped over to Mr Wong's stall as the chicken rice should taste about the same since he had been their chef for more than 20 years.

Mr Wong and his partner, Mr Chen Sim Kwang, a key helper at Tian Tian previously, told SoShiok.com that they had thought of opening their own stall because of "differences" with Tian Tian owners.

Mr Wong had told the media that he was unhappy with the management style of the owners' daughters, Ms Loi Mui Yin, 39, after she started running the company in 2010.

But Ms Loi, who also manages Tian Tian's newer air-conditioned outlets in Bedok and Joo Chiat, said as she was now running a much bigger company, she had to be fair to all staff, even though Mr Wong is her relative.

Mr Wong's elder sister was married to Tian Tian's founder, the late Mr Foo Kok Heng. Mr Wong had worked for him at two previous locations of Tian Tian - Tampines and Whampoa, before the Maxwell outlet was set up in the 1980s.

Mr Foo's younger sister, Madam Foo Kui Lian and her husband, Mr Loi Chi Sam, took over the Maxwell stall in the late 1980s. Miss Loi is their daughter.

Mr Wong was upset that she had blamed him for "minor wrongdoings", like not managing the staff well, while she accused him of threatening and shouting at co-workers over minor mistakes, to the extent that they felt unsafe at work.

The last straw came in October last year when Mr Wong apparently slapped the manager who accused him of causing food poisoning to a customer.

Mr Wong felt aggrieved at being the receiving end of problems at the stall, instead of being acknowledged for his contributions as a chef.

The stall had won a number of awards, including SPH's Hawker Master award.

Although he was always behind the scene, many Tian Tian regulars recognised him and Mr Chen.

In fact, they were happy to see them back in business and enquired about the opening hours of their stall.

But Ms Loi had expressed her unhappiness over the opening of the new stall as the food centre already had more than four stalls.

There are now six chicken rice stalls at the food centre.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ate Tian Tian again last week, the chilli is too hot that I cant taste the chicken anymore, they will go downhill from here.....

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ate Tian Tian again last week, the chilli is too hot that I cant taste the chicken anymore, they will go downhill from here.....

Piss off the long-time cook of a food joint? Way to go, woman. :rolleyes:

But Ms Loi, who also manages Tian Tian's newer air-conditioned outlets in Bedok and Joo Chiat, said as she was now running a much bigger company, she had to be fair to all staff, even though Mr Wong is her relative.

Mr Wong was upset that she had blamed him for "minor wrongdoings", like not managing the staff well, while she accused him of threatening and shouting at co-workers over minor mistakes, to the extent that they felt unsafe at work.

When a woman starts meddling and micromanaging, things will only go downhill.

It happened with Carly Fiorina in HP, Carol Bartz in Yahoo, and I'm sure for some of you office wage slaves out there.

RIP Tian Tian chicken rice.

Anyway, the food quality will inevitably start declining once they start franchising and outsourcing.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tried Ah Tai chicken rice yesterday. The queue at Ah Tai was very long because Tian Tian was closed and because of the publicity given to Ah Tai. The queue was slow because those in front were buying 4 to 8 packets takeaway. :(

Chicken rice is same as Tian Tian's, cannot tell the difference. But Ah Tai sells chicken rice from $2.50. I ate at Tian Tian last week and the price was $3.50, I think it was increased from$3.00.

So I will patronise Ah Tai because it is cheaper and I do not need such a big lunch, although I think the $3.50 portion is not much bigger than the $2.50 portion.

Dotology: are dots cheep?