• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Official TCSS Thread

jw5

Loyal
Mourinho wants his team to try winning from a losing position. :biggrin:

Jose Mourinho wants to see how Man United react from losing position

espnfc.com

While Jose Mourinho is pleased with Manchester United's impressive start to the Premier League season, he wants to see how his side react to going behind.

United have enjoyed an excellent start to the campaign, picking up maximum points from their opening two games after repeat 4-0 wins over West Ham and Swansea.

United currently sit top of the table as a result, but Mourinho would like his side to fall behind in the upcoming weeks to discover if they can handle adversity.

"The thing I want to happen is for the team to be losing," Mourinho is quoted as saying by Sky Sports. "So I can see the way we react emotionally.

"At this moment, everything is going in our favour, but it is not always going to be a motorway. You can always find difficult journeys and road blocks, and we have to be ready for that.

"It has not happened so far but going a goal behind will be a different challenge and I want to see how these players try to change a result.

"Let's see how we are when we are in difficulties, when we need the last minutes to win matches."

i

Mourinho also said that he is not getting carried away by United's start, given they also picked up two wins from their opening two league games last season yet ended up finishing sixth.

"Of course I am happy with the way we have started the season," he added. "And the quality of our performances has given me even more confidence.

"But I don't forget that we started last season with six points from our first two matches and still finished sixth. That is not a lesson, it's the reality of football. Two wins are not paradise, just as two defeats are not the end of the world."

jw5

Loyal
Aaron Mooy inspires Huddersfield to victory over Newcastle

PA Sport

Aaron Mooy's fine second-half strike maintained Huddersfield's dream Premier League start as they beat Newcastle 1-0 in their first top-flight home game in 45 years.

The Australian, who this summer turned a loan from Manchester City into a permanent signing that could rise to £10 million, smashed in a 50th-minute winner following a one-two with Elias Kachunga as the Terriers defeated one of the sides they came up with last term.

It meant David Wagner's men followed up last weekend's 3-0 victory at Crystal Palace with another three points to become just the third newly-promoted side to win their first two games in the Premier League era, emulating Bolton in 2001 and Hull last season.

Twenty-three years to the day that Huddersfield fans watched their first game in this venue against Wycombe, the John Smith's Stadium was hosting its maiden Premier League match, with some fans having paid as little as £100 for their season card thanks to a pledge by chairman Dean Hoyle.

His name was chanted prior to kickoff as the players emerged to be greeted by a "Terriers" mosaic and the sound of thousands of clappers during an electric atmosphere which continued as the hosts tried to seize control early on.

Mooy's long-range shot provided Rob Elliot with his first test and the Newcastle keeper was grateful Tom Ince's vicious try, which came courtesy of a mislaid Christian Atsu pass, was straight at him.

A Magpies team featuring three enforced changes soon settled to quieten the crowd, though, and they produced the half's best chance in the 17th minute through Matt Ritchie.

i

Ayoze Perez laid the ball off to him on the edge of the area and the winger's effort was heading straight for the bottom corner only for Jonas Lossl to produce a fine one-handed save to tip it around the post.

Newcastle's only other first-half scare came when Atsu and Javier Manquillo were caught out trying to play their way out of trouble, though Steve Mounie was correctly adjudged to be offside by the time he fired at Elliot.

There were half-hearted penalty appeals at the other end when Atsu's header hit the back of Chris Lowe's arm, not that he knew anything about it, and the Terriers full-back was then bailed out by two fine Christopher Schindler tackles, the second of which had to be timed right on Dwight Gayle.

Following a half with few first opportunities, it took less than five minutes after the restart for Mooy to lash the hosts ahead.

The Australian rolled a pass into Kachunga in the box and claimed the one-two return around Manquillo before dispatching an unstoppable effort into the corner to leave Elliot with no chance.

Mooy had been a key figure in Huddersfield's promotion-winning campaign last term but this was just his fifth goal for the club, with one of the previous four having come at home to Newcastle too.

Rafael Benitez's reaction was to replace Gayle with recent recruit Joselu and the Spaniard nearly scored a carbon copy of Mooy's effort at the other end.

The difference between their one-two was that Joselu's shot lacked any power, making it all the easier for Lossl to divert wide.

From the resulting corner Perez had an even better opportunity but his hooked volley went over the crossbar as Newcastle's wait for a first goal of the season went on.

Jacob Murphy, another of Benitez's replacements, was denied by a brilliant Lowe sliding challenge as Huddersfield held firm to make it two wins from two.

jw5

Loyal
What a great game! :biggrin:

i

Chelsea win 2-1 at Tottenham

Two goals from Marcos Alonso gave the visitors all three points at Wembley. The Chelsea full-back opened the scoring with a free-kick and then pounced late for a game-winner after Michy Batshuayi's own goal made it 1-1.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got a feeling Spurs will struggle playing their home games at Wembley this season.
They didn't do very well playing there in the Champions League last season either.

jw5

Loyal
Spurs' next 3 home games are against Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth. If they don't win these 3 games, then yes, there is a Wembley "hoodoo" against them. :biggrin:

Got a feeling Spurs will struggle playing their home games at Wembley this season.
They didn't do very well playing there in the Champions League last season either.

jw5

Loyal
Everton forward Wayne Rooney announces England retirement

from PA Sport

Wayne Rooney, England's all-time top scorer, has announced his immediate retirement from international football.

No outfield player has won more England caps than the 31-year-old, who netted a record 53 goals across 119 appearances for his country.

England manager Gareth Southgate phoned Rooney on Tuesday to say he wanted to include the forward in his upcoming squad after his start to life back at boyhood club Everton.

However, the former Manchester United captain will play no further part for his country after informing Southgate of his decision to quit international football for good in the same phone conversation.

In a statement released to Press Association Sport, Rooney said: "It was great that Gareth Southgate called me this week to tell me he wanted me back in the England squad for the upcoming matches. I really appreciated that. However, having already thought long and hard, I told Gareth that I had now decided to retire for good from international football.

"It is a really tough decision, and one I have discussed with my family, my manager at Everton and those closest to me.

Rooney also said that while leaving Manchester United was a difficult decision, he knows he made the right one in coming home to Everton.

"One of my very few regrets is not to have been part of a successful England tournament side. Hopefully the exciting players Gareth is bringing through can take that ambition further, and I hope everyone will get behind the team.

"One day the dream will come true, and I look forward to being there as a fan -- or in any capacity."

The striker burst onto the scene for England as a 17-year-old, debuting in a friendly against Australia at Upton Park in February 2003.

Rooney's first international goal followed against Macedonia that September, and the next summer his outstanding performances led to a place in the Euro 2004 team of the tournament.

The forward was unable to match those individual displays at a major competition despite going on to play in three World Cups and two further European Championships.

Rooney has, though, left an indelible mark on the national game.

The 31-year-old -- just as he would later do with Manchester United -- usurped Sir Bobby Charlton as England's all-time top scorer with his penalty against Switzerland in September 2015.

Rooney replaced David Beckham as the country's most capped outfield player the following September in Slovakia -- ahead of which he announced his intention to retire after the 2018 World Cup.

That decision looked to be taken out of Rooney's hands when England manager Southgate dropped his captain in his first matches as permanent manager in March.

But leaving United for Everton has led to an immediate upturn in form and fortunes, making Southgate ready to recall the long-serving forward for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia.

Yet despite being within touching distance of Peter Shilton's record 125 caps for England, Rooney has decided to walk away.

Captaining his country to a 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over old foes Scotland in November proved his final appearance.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rooney had a very successful career at Man Utd but his performances for England were mediocre at best (regardless of the fact that he is their most successful goal scorer).

Like many before him, whenever he put on an England shirt, he flopped.

jw5

Loyal
Yes, he never won anything with England, but neither did any England player since 1966. He is still the all time record goalscorer and the second in number of caps, which is not too bad. :biggrin:

Rooney had a very successful career at Man Utd but his performances for England were mediocre at best (regardless of the fact that he is their most successful goal scorer).

Like many before him, whenever he put on an England shirt, he flopped.

jw5

Loyal
Barcelona agree €105m fee with Borussia Dortmund for Dembele

By Stephan Uersfeld
espnfc.com

Barcelona have agreed terms with Borussia Dortmund for the transfer of attacker Ousmane Dembele, subject to the completion of his medical.

Barca will pay an initial fee of €105 million, and Dortmund confirmed that add-ons could see the fee rise by 40 percent -- which means the deal is worth up to €147m. The player's contract with Barca will also have a release clause of €400m.

France international Dembele, 20, arrives to fill the void left by Neymar's world-record €222 million departure to Paris Saint-Germain.

Dortmund suspended Dembele indefinitely earlier this month after he missed training amid interest from Barcelona, but the Bundesliga club continued to insist that he would only be allowed to leave if the La Liga club met their demands.

The final breakthrough was made on Thursday when Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke and sporting director Michael Zorc met with Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu, sporting executive Oscar Grau and director Raul Sanllehi during the Champions League draw in Monaco.

Barcelona announced the deal on Twitter.

Last year, Dortmund saw off competition from clubs including Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and Bayern Munich to sign Dembele from Rennes for a reported €15m fee.

German outlet Kicker has previously reported that Rennes will receive a windfall of €20m from any fee exceeding €80m.

Dembele scored 10 goals and provided 21 assists in the last season but had expressed disappointment at the departure of coach Thomas Tuchel. "Thomas has always been there for me and taught me a lot," Dembele told Sky Germany in June. "He's a very good coach with whom I had a lot of great moments."

Tuchel primarily used Dembele on the wing but occasionally operated in a more central role to bring an element of surprise to Dortmund's build-up play, carrying the ball into the final third and creating space.

jw5

Loyal
Man United stay perfect, City beat Bournemouth, Newcastle claim first win

espnfc.com

Marcus Rashford and Marouane Fellaini came off the bench to score as Manchester United's perfect start to the season continued with a 2-0 victory against Leicester.

Those goals saved the blushes of Romelu Lukaku, who had seen a penalty saved by Kasper Schmeichel in the 53rd minute.

But Rashford, who had been replaced in the starting XI by Anthony Martial, came on for Juan Mata in the 67th minute and scored three minutes later.

The England international kept his composure to fire home a Henrikh Mkhitaryan corner from close range after losing his marker.

Then Fellaini knocked one in with his knee in the 82nd minute following good work from Jesse Lingard on the left wing.

Raheem Sterling struck a deflected added-time winner to give Manchester City a hard-fought 2-1 victory against Bournemouth.

The England international was then sent off by referee Mike Dean for celebrating among the away fans.

Bournemouth took a 13th-minute lead in spectacular fashion when Charlie Daniels latched onto a loose ball to arrow a drive past Ederson and in off the crossbar from an acute angle.

But City were level soon after as Gabriel Jesus taking a swift free kick to David Silva, whose slide-rule ball back to the Brazilian was converted with ease by the forward.

Pep Guardiola's side toiled but didn't make a breakthrough until deep into added time when Sterling scored from close range before being dismissed.

Swansea condemned Crystal Palace to a third straight defeat as they ran out 2-0 winners at Selhurst Park.

Tammy Abraham, on loan from Chelsea, scored his first goal for the club and Swansea's first goal of this league season shortly before half-time.

Jordan Ayew added a second three minutes after the break to strengthen the visitors' lead.

Palace responded well and created several opportunities but were unable to find a breakthrough.

Newcastle grabbed a much-needed victory to ease the pressure on manager Rafa Benitez, winning 3-0 against West Ham.

Three of Newcastle's summer signings combined for the opening goal in the 36th minute as Mikel Merino picked out Christian Atsu, who squared for Joselu to score.

Ciaran Clark headed home the second off the post in the 72nd minute before Aleksandar Mitrovic sealed a deserved win with an 86th minute goal.

That defeat leaves West Ham still searching for their first point of the season having conceded 10 goals in their first three games.

Brighton missed a golden opportunity to claim a first ever Premier League win as they drew 0-0 with 10-man Watford at Vicarage Road.

The hosts were reduced to 10 men when Miguel Britos was dismissed for a wild challenge on Anthony Knockaert in the 24th minute.

The Brighton man had earlier struck the post with a curling effort, while Tomer Hemed also hit the post with a shot in the 37th minute.

Brighton record signing Jose Izquierdo was given his debut as a late substitute but the Colombian winger was unable to make the difference.

Huddersfield extended their unbeaten start to life in the Premier League with a goalless draw at home to Southampton.

The Terriers launched their first top-flight season in four decades with two straight victories and despite being held by the Saints in an entertaining stalemate, head coach David Wagner will be delighted with his side's return going into the international break.

Both sides had chances to snatch the points. Steve Mounie and Thomas Ince went closest for the home side, while Town skipper Tommy Smith cleared Ryan Bertrand's late header off the line.

Mauricio Pellegrino's side, who also extended their unbeaten league record, arrived full of intent but will be grateful to have left the John Smith's Stadium with a point.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal

I fancy a small wager on Wenger to be gone by Christmas. :biggrin:
With £133m worth of players sitting on the bench including their newbie Lacazette?:confused:
Arsenal were bloody awful!

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Arsenal need a new owner, chairman and directors, who will change the manager, who will then get better players. :biggrin:

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal

I fancy a small wager on Wenger to be gone by Christmas. :biggrin:
With £133m worth of players sitting on the bench including their newbie Lacazette?:confused:
Arsenal were bloody awful!

jw5

Loyal
Liverpool announce deal for Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

By Glenn Price, Liverpool correspondent
espnfc.com

Liverpool have signed Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Arsenal in a deal worth up to £40 million.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, 24, had a year remaining on his contract at Arsenal but moves on as he seeks to secure regular football in his preferred midfield role.

Chelsea had agreed a fee with Arsenal for the England international earlier in the week, but sources said that the player rejected the chance to move to Stamford Bridge, with the BBC reporting that he was concerned the champions planned to use him at wing-back.

Sources have indicated that Oxlade-Chamberlain has been keen on a switch to Anfield for some time now and is excited at the prospect of working with manager Jurgen Klopp.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is currently with the England squad ahead of their World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia but the FA allowed a medical to take place at St. George's Park to minimise disruption.

"I'm currently away with England, so I'm at St George's Park," he told Liverpool's official website. "Firstly, I'm delighted to have signed for Liverpool and a big thank you to everyone here at the FA that has made this possible, using the facilities. It has been a massive help.

"I'm not going to say too much today. I'm here with England and we've got two big games coming up, so I want to focus on them. But I can't wait to get to Melwood and you'll hear first from me on LFCTV."

The winger then posted a message explaining his decision to leave Arsenal on his social media account.

The deal comes amid continued speculation that Philippe Coutinho could be the subject of another bid from Barcelona. Liverpool have already rejected several offers for the Brazil forward, but with the Spanish transfer window not closing until Friday, Barca could make one last push to sign him.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Given where Wenger is taking Arsenal this season, this is a good move for the Ox.
I still think Barcelona will make another bid for Coutinho.

What will poor Sanchez do now? He must be well pissed off.

jw5

Loyal
Mats Hummels nets late winner for Germany; England cruise past Malta

espnfc.com

i

Mats Hummels scored in the 88th minute to keep Germany perfect in their World Cup qualifying campaign with a 2-1 win at Czech Republic on Friday night.

Germany needed fewer than four minutes to find the breakthrough as Mesut Ozil played in Timo Werner, who took a touch before scoring.

But Germany could not widen their advantage and the hosts made them pay as Vladimir Darida's shot from the top of the box got past Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

A draw seemed to be on the cards before Hummels found the winner with a header following a late set piece, and Germany maintained their 100 percent record through seven games.

Northern Ireland remained five points back in second place, though they were forced to wait 70 minutes to find a breakthrough in a 3-0 win at San Marino.

Josh Magennis eased Northern Ireland's nerves, then made the lead comfortable with his second of the night five minutes later, and Steven Davis added a penalty three minutes after that to put the result beyond doubt.

Also in Group C, Norway beat Azerbaijan 2-0 to keep their slim hopes of a playoff spot alive.

Josh King drew and converted a penalty on on 32 minutes before a second-half Rashad Sadygov own goal sealed the result.

Harry Kane scored twice as England ran out to a 4-0 win at Malta to stay atop Group F.

After a frustrating first half, Kane found the opened on 53 minutes after he was played in on goal by Tottenham teammate Dele Alli.

England added gloss to the scorline late on, as Bertrand's long-range shot took a slight deflection and eluded the dive of goalkeeper Andrew Hogg in the 86 minutes.

Danny Welbeck added a third in stoppage time when he latched on to Kane's lofted through ball ahead of the Maltese goalkeeper, before Kane added his second of the night by running onto Marcus Rashford's long pass.

However, Slovakia kept the pressure on England, staying just two points back after managing a 1-0 home win over Slovenia.

Adam Nemec scored the only goal in the 81st minute, tapping the ball over the line after Marek Hamsik struck the crossbar, to set up a crucial game at Wembley on Monday.

Scotland stayed in contention with a 3-0 win away to Lithuania.

Stuart Armstrong rose highest to head home following a corner on 25 minutes, and five minutes later Andy Robertson found the top corner from 20 yards out to double the lead.

James McArthur added a third goal in the second half as Scotland moved into third place, four points behind Slovakia for the playoff spot.

Poland were dealt a major blow as the Group E leaders fell 4-0 away to Denmark.

Thomas Delaney headed home following a corner for the 16th-minute opener, and Andreas Cornelius doubled the lead with a volley from Christian Eriksen's cross shortly before the break.

Nicolai Jorgensen turned in a third before the hour mark before Eriksen got on the scoresheet himself to complete the rout -- Poland's first defeat of the campaign.

Denmark are now just three points back of the top, level on points with Montenegro, who won 3-0 at Kazakhstan earlier in the day.

Marko Vesovic chipped the keeper to provide a 31st-minute lead, before Fatos Beciraj and Marko Simic both headed home following free kicks in the second half.

Romania are a further four points back in fourth place after a 1-0 win over Armenia.

Taron Voskanyan was sent off for Armenia nine minutes into the second half, and the minnows' resolve finally broke when Alexandru Maxim scored with a back heel in the first minute of stoppage time.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The England score line was rather flattering. Malta were very stubborn until they capitulated 3 goals in the 85th minute.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
EPL is back after the International break with some pretty decent games tonight.
Man City vs Liverpool, Everton vs Tottenham and Stoke vs Man Utd looks like the pick of the bunch.

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 6.41.32 AM.png