• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Official TCSS Thread

jw5

Loyal
Jose Mourinho: Call me 'The Calm One' now, with more control of my emotions

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho has told France Football that a new-found maturity and control of his emotions has made him a better manager, and he no longer obsesses over results as he did earlier in his career.

Mourinho, who has been in trouble with the Football Association on several occasions already this season, following incidents that took place in games against West Ham, Liverpool and Burnley.

Long nicknamed "The Special One," Mourinho, when asked what he has become since taking over United, replied: "I would say, 'The Calm One.'

"Everyone expected me to be a problem. But the only problem I've had up till now is when I kicked a bottle of water in front of me [against West Ham in reaction to Pogba being booked]. I was sent to the stand and had to pay a fine for that.

"That's my problem: when I'm a little bit frustrated, I kick bottles. But it's my only outburst since my arrival eight months ago. So, I have become 'The Calm One.' Having said that, perhaps tomorrow I'll get sent off."

The United boss also said he remains as ambitious as ever in his pursuit of success, but he is now able "transmit" calm to his squad.

"Mourinho the man tries to be the opposite of what the manager is," he said. "He tries to be discreet, calm. Find a way to disconnect.

"I can go home and not watch a football game, not think about football. I can do it. At the beginning of my career, I could not. I was constantly connected, 24 hours a day. I had to find a form of maturity.

"Today, I feel good with my personality as a man. I have matured, I am more peaceful. A victory no longer represents the moon, and a defeat hell.

"I believe that I am able to transmit this serenity to those who work with me, to my players. I have the same ambitions as before. The same involvement, the same professionalism, but I'm more in control of my emotions."

i

Mourinho does not believe he will be able to return United to the dominant success they enjoyed under Sir Alex Ferguson -- when they won 13 Premier League titles in 21 seasons -- saying that there are too many competitive teams for one club to have sustained success like in other countries.

"In England, clubs are so economically powerful that the market is open to all," he added. "Take the example of Bayern in Germany. You know how they win the title every year? The summer before, they buy the best player of Borussia Dortmund. [Mario] Gotze, then [Robert] Lewandowski the following year, then [Mats] Hummels last year.

"Me, I arrive at a club that has a great and prestigious history, but which can no longer do what it has been doing in the same way.

"No club in England, be it Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, can now dominate permanently. Power has been divided. Everything is more difficult: buying, winning, building."

Still, Mourinho says his success as a manager at Manchester United will depend on his ability to adapt to new situations.

"You have to adapt to the reality of the club, its needs, its demands. That's called 'being intelligent,'" he said. "The priority is to establish peaceful and loving relationships in a squad, to create stability.

"Manchester United doesn't have great personalities like [Ryan] Giggs, [Paul] Scholes or Roy Keane any more. There's still [Wayne] Rooney and [Michael] Carrick, the last faces of that generation, and a new group of players who have to adapt.

"That's why it was important for me to bring in Zlatan [Ibrahimovic]. In this team, he had -- without being English, without knowing the culture of the club -- the personality and the profile to be more than just a player."

jw5

Loyal
Podolski says winning end to Germany career like something from a film

DORTMUND, Germany -- Lukas Podolski admitted the end to his international career with Germany was "like a film" after scoring the winner for his country with a stunning strike to beat England 1-0 in an international friendly.

In his last international game in a 13-year career, Podolski led the side out as captain and he smashed the ball into the top-right corner from 25 yards out to win it with just over 20 minutes remaining.

England goalkeeper Joe Hart was given no chance, and Podolski had a look of incredulity as he wheeled away to celebrate.

"The way it ended today was like a film," Podolski said. "We win 1-0 and I score the thing.

"I know I have a left foot that was probably gifted to me by God, or someone up there, and I can always rely on it. I am proud of these last 13 years.

"From the atmosphere in the stadium you could see the connection I have with people from Cologne.

"There were at least 30,000 people from Cologne in the stadium. It gives you goose bumps.

"That's when you know where your home is, and that you've done a lot of good, also off the pitch. That makes me very proud."

The 31-year-old Podolski had been honoured before his 130th game for Germany and had his name chanted by fans during the match. He received a standing ovation when he went off in the closing stages, and he joined fans to return their affection after the game.

i

Only 1990 World Cup-winning captain Lothar Matthaus and all-time top scorer Miroslav Klose have made more appearances for Germany.

"Special players deserve a special farewell. It's great for him," Germany coach Joachim Low said.

Podolski's teammate Thomas Muller took the chance to joke with the departing World Cup winner, suggesting that the ending was "too cheesy" to qualify for a Hollywood script as no one would believe the ending.

"You couldn't write a better script," Muller said. "If I was the director, I would find it too cheesy. No one would believe it!

"Now it's about enjoying it all. Normally the stadium is empty 10 minutes after the final whistle, but everyone is still here to celebrate Poldi. It's outstanding.

"Poldi is a special one, a special kind. You do not make 130 appearances just like that. We will miss him at the coming tournaments."

Many fans dusted off their Podolski jerseys for the game, while there was a good trade in Podolski scarves outside the stadium. Cologne fans from his hometown club also wore their colors in tribute to their hero.

There was a giant banner in front of the Westfalenstadion's south stand declaring, "130 games, 48 goals, a legend. Thanks Lukas."

"Thank you Dortmund, thank you Cologne and thank you Germany," Podolski said for the reception.

jw5

Loyal
Tite's Brazil pass another test with superb comeback win over Uruguay

By Tim Vickery
espnfc.com

i

Brazil are not yet mathematically over the line -- it is still possible to draw up a sequence of results that would leave them in sixth place, meaning they'd miss the trip to the World Cup in Russia next year. But effectively they are home and dry after their series of consecutive wins under coach Tite stretched to seven -- and the latest was the most impressive of the lot.

There was one test that Tite's men had yet to pass -- how would they react to going a goal down? It happened Thursday against a Uruguay side that, granted, were missing the suspended Luis Suarez. But Uruguay had collected a 100 percent home record both with and without the Barcelona No. 9 -- six games, six wins, 16 goals scored, one conceded.

That became 17 when they took an early lead, with a goal right out of their book. Under coach Oscar Tabarez, Uruguay are not seeking aesthetic beauty, but they know exactly what they are doing. They seek to force an error from the opposing side close to goal and take quick advantage. Before the 10th-minute mark, Uruguay's Edinson Cavani made up huge distance to intercept a ball that Brazil left-back Marcelo chested back to his keeper. Keeper Allison brought Cavani down, and he buried a superbly emphatic penalty kick.

So how would the spectacle unfold? Uruguay could happily get players behind the ball and wait for another mistake. Brazil, though, passed their way out of the pressure, showing a fluidity through midfield that had been missing for so long before Tite came to the fore.

Uruguay were concerned with blocking Neymar's progress down the left flank. But they gave him too much room to cut infield, and with his growing sense of game awareness, he made it count. True, there were times when his attempted cross-field passes were intercepted and Uruguay broke at pace. But any cost was outweighed by the benefit it brought to the side's attacking play. On one infield incursion, Neymar drew the cover and slipped a neat pass for Paulinho, who levelled the scores with a long-range special.

At the interval, Tabarez made an adjustment. Diego Rolan and (soon afterward) Cristhian Stuani were moved wide to the right, with midfielder Carlos Sanchez going infield to block Neymar's space. But Brazil are not a one-man band. The vital second goal came from the other flank, with the Liverpool partnership working well. Philippe Coutinho played it in and Roberto Firmino turned left before rifling a shot in. Uruguay keeper Martin Silva parried, but Paulinho swept in the rebound.

The resurgence of Paulinho has been one of the stories of the campaign, with Tite, who worked with him to great success at Corinthians, well aware of his strengths and weaknesses. He has filled the CSL star with confidence -- and one of his specialities is precisely the timing of runs into the opposing box.

The ease with which Firmino turned centre-back Sebastian Coates was also worthy of note. The choice of the gangling Coates over the quicker Jose Gimenez made little sense against such a mobile front line -- and Uruguay were punished with the goal that effectively won the game. Uruguay were subjecting Brazil to an aerial bombardment when one speculative long kick out of defence put Neymar in behind Coates. But there was nothing speculative about the finish -- a sublime chip over Silva.

There was even time for Paulinho to complete his hat trick when he broke into the box with perfect timing to chest home a Dani Alves cross.

This, then, was the night when Brazil put themselves in a different category from the rest of the field in the qualification campaign. There was very little to fault with their performance. Perhaps the only quibble would be with the defensive work of the full-backs, Alves and Marcelo -- a defect that may be punished by a team able to control midfield better than the Uruguayans.

That aside, Brazil are coasting toward qualification while everyone else is in a dogfight. Uruguay remain second but are sinking back to the pack. Argentina and Colombia go third and fourth, respectively -- but neither can take a great deal of pleasure from scrappy 1-0 home wins, both the product of disputed penalties. Just behind them are Ecuador and Chile, with Paraguay still alive -- although they must visit Brazil in Tuesday's next round, a match that emphasises there are now three separate competitions going in the same qualification campaign.

The likes of Venezuela and Bolivia are building for the long term, and everyone else is scrapping for points -- while Brazil are already preparing for Russia 2018.

jw5

Loyal
Spain and Italy both cruise to wins as Ireland hold Wales to goalless draw

i

Gianluigi Buffon kept a clean sheet in his 1,000th professional appearance for club and country as Italy beat Albania 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier on Friday.

Buffon had little to do in his 168th cap for Italy, making only one save as the Italians controlled the action in Palermo.

The opening goal came in the 12th minute after Migjen Basha hauled down Andrea Belotti in the box during a set piece, and Daniele De Rossi converted the penalty.

Visiting Albania fans threw flares on the pitch before the spot-kick, and in the second half the game was halted for nine minutes after large amounts of smoke were set off from the stands.

Ciro Immobile made sure of the points for Italy in the 71st minute, heading home following a set piece.

Italy remained level on points with Spain atop Group G, though La Roja hold first place on goal difference following a 4-1 win at home over Israel.

Spain looked dangerous from the start as Thiago Alcantara saw his strike tipped onto the bar by Israel keeper Ofir Marciano, who then proceeded to have a miserable night.

The hosts took the lead seven minutes later when Jordi Alba nutmegged a defender with a pass to David Silva, who in turn put his shot between Marciano's legs.

Spain doubled the lead just before the break when Vitolo stayed onside to put a shot on goal without looking, and the ball rolled slowly past Marciano's outstretched hand.

At the start of the second half, Diego Costa missed an open header in front of goal, then a few minutes later made slightly better contact from short range, hitting the ball into the ground and then the goalkeeper, who again could not keep it out of the net.

Israel got a consolation with a quarter-hour to play when Lior Rafaelov lashed home after Rami Gershon's header came back off the post, but Isco capped the night with Spain's fourth three minutes from time.

In the final game in Group B, Boban Nikolov scored before a Ilija Nestorovski brace gave Macedonia a 3-0 win at Liechtenstein in a battle of teams who had failed to earn a single point from their first four games.

In Group D, Wales' qualifying hopes were dealt a blow in a goalless draw with Republic of Ireland at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

Ireland lost James McCarthy to an injury in the warm-up, with David Meyler replacing the midfielder shortly before kickoff.

Gareth Bale picked up his second yellow card of the qualifying campaign for a foul on John O'Shea in the 68th minute, ruling him out of Wales' June qualifier against Serbia.

And Neil Taylor was sent off for a straight red a minute later following a tackle on Seamus Coleman that left the Everton player with what appeared to be a serious injury.

The result keeps Wales four points behind second-placed Ireland.

Serbia erased an early deficit to move top of Group D on goal difference with a 3-1 win away to Georgia.

Georgia's Nika Katcharava pounced on a terrible back pass from Aleksandar Kolarov in the sixth minute.

But Serbia equalised on the stroke of half-time through a penalty from Dusan Tadic, who then provided assists for Aleksandar Mitrovic and Mijat Gacinovic to score in the second half.

Elsewhere in the group, Marcel Sabitzer scored the opening goal before Martin Harnik's late second as Austria edged Moldova 2-0 in Vienna.

The win puts the Austrians level on points with Wales, though they have an inferior goal difference.

Nikola Kalinic scored as Croatia held off Ukraine 1-0 to stay on top of Group I.

The only goal came in the 38th minute as Ivan Rakitic back-heeled a pass into the box for Kalinic, who turned and fired into the back of the net.

Croatia maintained a three-point lead over Iceland, who are second after a 2-1 win against UEFA newcomers Kosovo in Albania.

Bjorn Sigurdarson scored the opener for the visitors on 25 minutes, before Gylfi Sigurdsson doubled the lead from the penalty spot 10 minutes later.

And though Atdhe Nuhiu got a goal back for Kosovo just seven minutes after the break, Iceland held on to move past Ukraine into second place.

Turkey defeated Finland 2-0 thanks to a four-minute brace from Cenk Tosun.

The Besiktas forward opened the scoring in the ninth minute, bundling home an Olcay Sahan flick-on from point-blank range.

Tosun then collected his second in the 13th -- the Turkey No. 9 rising and placing his pinpoint header past Finland keeper Lukas Hradecky from a Selcuk Inan corner kick.

The win revived Turkey's hopes of qualifying from Group I, pulling them level on points with Ukraine and two points back of Iceland in second.

jw5

Loyal
Netherlands in danger after loss as Ronaldo lifts Portugal, France win

Netherlands are in danger of failing to qualify for a second straight major tournament after losing 2-0 to Bulgaria in a World Cup qualifier on Saturday.

After finishing third at the 2014 World Cup, the Dutch missed out on Euro 2016 and now find themselves in fourth place midway through their campaign to reach Russia, six points off the lead in Group A and three back of a potential playoff spot.

Danny Blind handed a first cap to 17-year-old Matthijs de Ligt, but the centre-back misplayed a long ball into the box, allowing Spas Delev to score just five minutes into his debut.

And Delev was again on target 15 minutes later, firing home from 20 yards out, and there was to be no way back for the Dutch.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice and Andre Silva added another as Portugal tightened their grip on second place in Group B with a 3-0 thrashing of Hungary.

Silva opened the scoring on 32 minutes. Ronaldo's run through the middle found Raphael Guerreiro on the left of the box, whose cross found an unmarked Silva at the goal mouth to tap in.

Ronaldo then collected his first of the night four minutes later. The Real Madrid star pounced onto a back-heeled pass from Silva outside of the box and lashed an unstoppable left-footed shot past Hungary goalkeeper Peter Gulacsi from 20 yards out.

And he completed his brace five minutes after the hour mark, expertly curling a free kick around Gulacsi before skipping inside the far post from a difficult angle on the left.

The victory gives the Euro 2016 champions 12 points from five matches, three behind first-placed Switzerland, who earned a 1-0 win at home over Latvia.

Josip Drmic scored the key goal in the 66th minute, heading home from five yards out following a cross from Admir Mehmedi.

Meanwhile, Andorra earned their first point of the campaign by holding Faroe Islands to a goalless draw.

The result ended Andorra's run of 58 competitive defeats stretching back more than 11 years.

Olivier Giroud scored twice as France stayed on top of Netherlands' Group A with a 3-1 win away to Luxembourg.

The Arsenal striker was on hand to score the opener when Djibril Sidibe cut the ball back to him in the 28th minute, though the hosts equalised four minutes later through Aurelien Joachim's penalty after Blaise Matuidi pulled down Daniel Da Mota.

But three minutes after that, Antoine Griezmann restored France's lead from the spot after Da Mota fouled Sidibe in the box.

Giroud headed home Benjamin Mendy's cross in the 77th-minute to wrap up the points.

i

Earlier, Emil Forsberg scored twice to help Sweden to a 4-0 romp over Belarus.

Forsberg opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 19 minutes, then doubled the lead four minutes into the second half, when his soft shot somehow trickled through the legs of goalkeeper Andrey Gorbunov.

Marcus Berg added a third goal 12 minute later by heading home after Gorbunov failed to reach a high cross, and Isaac Thelin completed the rout after a quickly taken free kick caught off Belarus.

The comfortable win put Sweden second in Group A, three back of leaders France, and one ahead of Bulgaria and three above Netherlands.

In Group H, Romelu Lukaku scored late to salvage a 1-1 draw for leaders Belgium at home against 10-man Greece.

Konstantinos Mitroglou stayed just onside to give the visitors the lead just after half-time, but Greece saw Panagiotis Tachtsidis sent off in the 65th minute for a second booking.

Lukaku found the equaliser with a wonderful goal in the 89th minute, controlling Dries Mertens' cross with his chest, spinning and shooting before the ball hit the ground.

The Everton striker would have had a stoppage-time winner as well if not for a fine save from Stefanos Kapino.

Belgium maintained a two-point lead over Greece, while Bosnia and Herzegovina moved to within three points of the top with a 5-0 win over minnows Gibraltar thanks to a Vedad Ibisevic brace.

The hosts were in front within four minutes after Ibisevic controlled a long pass from Miralem Pjanic, then added a second before the break when Ibisevic headed in Edin Visca's short cross from point-blank range.

Avdija Vrsajevic added a third seven minutes into the second half, Visca got a goal of his own from a half-volley four minutes later, and Ermin Bicakcic wrapped up the points in stoppage time.

Also in Group H, hosts Cyprus were held to a goalless draw by Estonia in a result that leaves both nations on four points, above only Gibraltar.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What has happened to the Dutch these days?
They have talented players, no? :confused:
Didn't qualify for the Euros and are in real danger of not making Russia.

jw5

Loyal
Netherlands in danger after loss as Ronaldo lifts Portugal, France win

Danny Blind handed a first cap to 17-year-old Matthijs de Ligt, but the centre-back misplayed a long ball into the box, allowing Spas Delev to score just five minutes into his debut.

What has happened to the Dutch these days?
They have talented players, no? :confused:
Didn't qualify for the Euros and are in real danger of not making Russia.

One problem was that manager Danny Blind selected a 17 year old for his debut at centre back, whilst selecting his highly experienced son Daley at left back. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Madeira airport to be named after Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo

Madeira airport will be renamed Cristiano Ronaldo airport from Wednesday, despite opposition from local politicians.

The Portugal captain is expected to attend a ceremony at the airport outside his hometown of Funchal on Wednesday, a day after his Portugal side plays Sweden in the city in a friendly.

Portugal's squad landed on Monday at the airport displaying the trophy it won at Euro 2016 in France.

Funchal already has a statue and a museum about Portugal's record goal scorer and most-capped player, as well a hotel complex named after him.

Madeira regional government president Miguel Albuquerque told A Bola earlier this month that it was right to honour "a great Madeirense" and accused critics of having "a lack of manners."

There had been a petition against the move which claimed the renaming was "disproportionate and lacks a plausible justification."

Ronaldo, who now has 70 goals for Portugal after scoring twice in the 3-0 World Cup qualifying win against Hungary on Saturday, which moved him within one goal of third place in Europe's all-time top international scorers.

jw5

Loyal
Brazil through to 2018 World Cup while Uruguay and Argentina fret

By Tim Vickery
espnfc.com

In stoppage time of the last game of the round, Uruguay captain Diego Godin headed a free kick against the Peruvian bar. It came down, from the Uruguayan point of view, on the wrong side of the line. They lost 2-1, and as a result of that, Brazil became the first team to qualify for Russia 2018.

Earlier in the evening Brazil had beaten Paraguay 3-0. It was their eighth consecutive victory, all of them since coach Tite took command of a struggling side.

Paraguay did not make it easy for them in Sao Paulo. They sought to stay compact and break at pace -- and had the first clear chance when a loose pass out of defence from Miranda was intercepted. Bruno Valdez slipped Derlis Gonzalez one on one with the keeper, but he scuffed his shot horribly wide.

In a tight first half, the goal that broke the deadlock said plenty about how Brazil have improved so quickly. Tite has them sufficiently compact to pass the ball at pace. He instilled them with confidence and the outcome is a tactically well-drilled side with collective play and individual talent.

Phillippe Coutinho cut in from the left. Crucially, his Liverpool teammate Roberto Firmino moved out to the left flank, dragging centre-back Dario Veron with him. It was this that opened the hole in the Paraguayan defence. Coutinho played forward to Paulinho, who gave him a backheeled return ball infield, and from the edge of the area Coutinho curled a wonderful left foot shot inside the far post.

Paraguay were in desperate need of picking up points. It was clear, then, that the game would open up in the second half. There was more space on the field, and in Neymar, Brazil had the man to take advantage. He soon won a penalty, well saved by Anthony Silva. There may have been some poetic justice in this -- the award seemed harsh, in which Rodrigo Rojas appeared to make a good tackle.

But poetic justice worked the other way soon afterwards. Neymar picked up the ball on the left flank deep inside his own half. Full-back Bruno Valdez thought he had him covered, but Neymar found a tiny piece of space along the touchline and made a burst, taking two defenders out of the game, before cutting in on goal. He dribbled inside Paulo Da Silva, but his shot probably would not have beaten the keeper without a deflection off Cristian Riveros. The move deserved a goal.

The last goal, five minutes before the end, was just as special in a collective sense. Marcelo and Coutinho combined, planted the ball to Paulinho who had once again broken forward into the area, and he came up with another backheel flick, allowing Marcelo, who had continued his run from left-back, to beat the keeper with a subtle chip.

Brazil now need to guard against an excess of euphoria, a lovely problem to have for a proud footballing nation who just a few months back were fretting at the prospect of missing out on the World Cup.

i

And now it is Uruguay who might be starting to fret. A third consecutive defeat drops them to third in the table, with some tricky games ahead. Coach Oscar Washington Tabarez and his men are not looking to win points for style. They look to choose the moment to press, force an error from the opposition and take advantage. The worrying aspect of their play is that they are starting to let in goals -- they have conceded 12 in the last five games.

Returning from suspension, Luis Suarez helped set up Carlos Sanchez to volley them ahead in Lima. But Peru, on perhaps their last chance, were not going to give up without a fight. Centre forward Paolo Guerrero is now 33, and will surely not have another opportunity to play in a World Cup. He showed speed and strength to hold off Godin and latch on to excellent long pass from Yosimar Yotun before beating keeper Fernando Muslera at his near post.

Guerrero's penalty area presence was vital for the winner, too. He chested a cross from the right down to Edinson Flores, who lashed in left footed past Muslera.

Uruguay were perhaps unlucky when substitute Jonathan Urreteviscaya picked up a second yellow card and was sent off. He appeared to be in with a great chance of setting up the equaliser, but he had brought the ball down with his arm. It seemed inadvertent, and the card was harsh. But soon after he was introduced, Urreteviscaya had committed a last man foul on Guerrero, and had been lucky to receive just a yellow on the occasion.

Bright and committed, Peru's performance was encouraging, and hauls them into contention for the play-off place. They will have to make up a four-point deficit on Argentina. The teams meet in October, so Peru will aim to win three points then -- and hope that Uruguay can do them a favour when they host the Argentines in what promises to be a dramatic next round.

jw5

Loyal
Hahahahaha........................ :biggrin:

i

Cristiano Ronaldo's bust was unveiled on Wednesday in Madeira.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My dear soccer kakis, EPL is back today after the international break.

Merseyside Derby at 7.30pm and tomorrow there's Arsenal vs Man City! 11pm

WengerOut? :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Can Chelsea's Premier League title rivals capitalise on leaders' slip-up?

By Mark Ogden, Senior Football Writer
espnfc.com

When Chelsea face Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup semifinal on April 22, will the league and cup Double be at stake for both clubs?

Can Liverpool, with a run-in that consists of eight games against clubs currently placed no higher than eighth in the Premier League table, go on a winning run that puts them in contention to win their first domestic title since 1990?

And are Manchester City capable of winning at Chelsea on Wednesday to throw themselves a title lifeline and blow the race wide open, just when it appeared as though Antonio Conte was guiding the long-term league leaders to one of the most comfortable championship successes in recent memory?

Three questions, all with a varying degree of probability, which would have seemed outlandish had they been posed prior to the weekend's fixtures in the Premier League.

Chelsea's 2-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace was not a case of Conte's team beginning to wobble in the title race. The league leaders had enough chances to win the game three times over, but Sam Allardyce's men were resolute and decisive in the key moments and it was enough to earn them the points and leave Chelsea with a still-healthy seven-point advantage over Spurs at the top of table.

But although Chelsea played well and created chances, they lost, and the defeat will reignite the flickering hopes of their closest challengers as the season reaches the final straight.

A seven-point lead with nine games to play ensures that Chelsea remain firm favourites to win the title, but bigger gaps have been closed in seasons past and, by Wednesday night, we may have a real title race to look forward to between now and the final round of fixtures on May 21.

For Chelsea to throw away the title from their currently commanding position will require more than a loss of form and confidence at Stamford Bridge, however.

i

A team with momentum will have to put their foot down and take advantage, chipping away at Chelsea's lead on a game-by-game basis, turning the screw on the leaders until the anxiety begins to gnaw at Conte's players and forces them to capitulate.

Manchester United were eight points clear with six games to play in 2011-12, but they lost the title on goal difference to City on the final day when Sergio Aguero scored his dramatic injury-time winner against Queens Park Rangers to claim top spot for Roberto Mancini's men.

Arsenal won the title under Arsene Wenger in 1997-98, again following a United slip, after a 14-game run of 13 wins and a draw broke the resolve of Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

Two years earlier, a similarly formidable run by United saw them claw back a 12-point deficit on Newcastle to eventually win the league by four points.

So will Chelsea become the latest to stumble in the run-in and which club is best-placed to reel them in?

Spurs are in pole position to overhaul Chelsea from this point. Mauricio Pochettino's players will be hardened by the experience of pushing Leicester City close last season before running out of steam, physically and mentally, in the final weeks of the campaign.

Unbeaten in the league since Feb. 11, Spurs were ruthlessly efficient when winning at Burnley on Saturday.

Harry Kane's absence with injury has not affected their momentum so far and, with the England striker close to a return, they will only get stronger.

Their title hopes will likely rest on a crucial three-game period when they host Arsenal and United, and travel to West Ham United, in the space of 14 days in a month's time.

Three big games, at a stage of the season when Pochettino's teams traditionally struggle for results, will be huge, especially if Chelsea surrender more points between now and then.

And with the fixtures in front of Chelsea in the coming weeks, there is no doubt that Conte's players face a test of their mental strength.

The visit of City on Wednesday is a game that Pep Guardiola's team must win to have any hope of mounting a late surge to the title.

But equally, anything but a win for Chelsea will give Spurs, who travel to Swansea on the same night, huge encouragement.

Chelsea's trip to face United at Old Trafford on April 16 will be a pivotal encounter. United, as disappointing as they have been this season, are unbeaten in the league since losing at Chelsea back in October and halting his former club's march to the title will be high on Jose Mourinho's list of objectives.

Spurs simply need to keep winning to keep the pressure on Chelsea, but Liverpool can also play their part if they find a way to overcome their difficulties against teams in the bottom half.

Jurgen Klopp's team host Bournemouth on Wednesday and travel to Stoke City and West Bromwich Albion, so they have a run of games which will tell us all whether they have what it takes to make Chelsea look over their shoulder.

But the reality is that the title is Chelsea's to lose and they can deliver a significant statement of intent by defeating City on Wednesday.

Aside from their 2-1 win at United in September, City have been woeful away from home against the top seven -- losing at Spurs, Liverpool and Everton and drawing at Arsenal -- so they have their own psychological barrier to overcome at Stamford Bridge.

But if they can do that and leave Chelsea reeling from their second home defeat in four days, the title race really will be back on.

jw5

Loyal
Zlatan Ibrahimovic could be 'difficult' at Ajax - Everton's Ronald Koeman

Everton boss Ronald Koeman says Zlatan Ibrahimovic is "still one of the best" as he prepares to face Manchester United on Tuesday but acknowledged he found the striker "difficult" when managing him at Ajax.

Ibrahimovic is set to return to the United side at Old Trafford after serving a three-match suspension, with the 35-year-old having scored 15 Premier League goals so far in his first ever season in England.

Koeman had managed the former Sweden international at Ajax, helping launch his career after a difficult start to life in the Netherlands, and said he has huge respect for his abilities.

"He is still one of the best and I still admire the boy," he told reporters. "I know him really well, and he is still showing really well at his age, being still so important for the team and scoring goals, showing he's still one of the best -- I have great respect for him.

"I'm not surprised [by his continued success] because he really has that talent and he's so strong, and maybe mentally he's one of the strongest players I know."

Discussing his experiences managing Ibrahimovic, he said: "He was young and sometimes also difficult!

"Yeah, but, OK, it's normal. I'm also better now to handle for a coach than when I was 19.

"And he was funny but sometimes difficult because when I was at Ajax we had a lot of young players at that time -- [Wesley] Sneijder, [Rafael] van der Vaart, [Nigel] de Jong, [John] Heitinga, Mido, Zlatan. We had really big talents at that time, but all were 19, driving Porsches, driving Ferraris ... eh?! New generation.

"Stories? I tell you about it Wednesday."

i

Asked he had to fine Ibrahimovic a few times, he smiled and said: "We had some really strong talks to him, yes!"

He said it had been beneficial to his career "as a young coach at that time" to deal with Ibrahimovic and added: "I met Zlatan three or four times in the last four or five months, and if we speak about that time, he knows -- he knows perfectly -- how he was when he was 19 and how he is now."

Everton will be looking to Romelu Lukaku -- the Premier League's leading scorer with 23 goals so far -- to deliver against United after he struggled to make an impact in the 3-1 derby defeat to Liverpool at the weekend.

Koeman was reluctant to draw comparisons between Lukaku and Ibrahimovic but said the Belgium international had similar mental strength.

"You can't compare a 23-year-old boy with Zlatan now," he said. "Zlatan makes those steps through his whole career, and the mental way, I don't have any doubt about Rom in that case.

"He really is that player who thinks a lot about football and he's really honest in his performances. Rom knows by himself when it's good and when it isn't good -- like last Saturday, he was not performing like he can do -- and what the team needs."

jw5

Loyal
Chelsea beat Man City to maintain lead as Spurs secure late win at Swansea

Two goals from Eden Hazard saw Chelsea maintain their seven-point lead at the top of the Premier League with an important 2-1 victory against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea slipped to an unexpected defeat to Crystal Palace on Saturday, allowing Tottenham to move within seven points of them, but this win saw Antonio Conte's side stop their advantage at the top being reduced further following Spurs' late heroics against Swansea.

Hazard put Chelsea ahead from Cesar Azpilicueta's pull back on 10 minutes, only for Sergio Aguero to seize upon an error from Thibaut Courtois to level for City on 26 minutes.

Hazard saw a 35th-minute penalty saved by Willy Caballero but reacted quickly to score the rebound, a goal that was enough to seal the points.

That result leaves City fourth and four points ahead of Arsenal, who have a game in hand.

Tottenham came from behind to beat Swansea 3-1 thanks to late goals from Dele Alli, Son Heung-Min and Christian Eriksen.

Wayne Routledge scored against his former side to give Swansea an 11th-minute lead, tapping in after Jordan Ayew's good work.

But Tottenham, without goalkeeper Hugo Lloris who withdrew late through illness, salvaged three points thanks to dramatic late strikes in the 88th, 91st and 94th minutes.

That result leaves Tottenham seven points behind Chelsea, while Swansea slip into the bottom three after taking only one point in four games.

Liverpool suffered a late blow as Josh King's goal earned Bournemouth a 2-2 draw at Anfield.

Jurgen Klopp had seen his side come from behind to lead 2-1 thanks to goals from Philippe Coutinho and Divock Origi after Benik Afobe had given Bournemouth an early advantage.

Coutinho's goal in the 40th minute came after good work from Roberto Firmino, while Origi, in the team in place of the injured Sadio Mane, headed in a Georginio Wijnaldum cross on 59 minutes.

But King had the final say in the 87th minute after Liverpool failed to clear their lines.

Arsenal beat West Ham 3-0 to win their first Premier League game since February and climb above Manchester United into fifth place.

Second-half goals from Mesut Ozil, Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud secured three points for an Arsenal side forced to pick third-choice goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez following injuries to Petr Cech and David Ospina.

Arsenal made a slow start to the game with West Ham enjoying the best chances of the opening half through Mark Noble and Manuel Lanzini, before Ozil's long-range strike slipped through the fingers of West Ham goalkeeper Darren Randolph to put Arsene Wenger's men in front on 58 minutes.

Ten minutes later, captain for the night Walcott doubled the hosts' advantage from an Ozil assist before Giroud added a third with seven minutes remaining.

West Ham have now lost five games in a row and drop to 15th place, five points above Swansea who occupy the final relegation spot.

Crystal Palace's four-game winning run came to an abrupt end as Maya Yoshida and James Ward-Prowse scored late goals to earn Southampton a 3-1 win at St. Mary's.

Christian Benteke's 11th Premier League goal of the season put Palace ahead in the 31st minute courtesy of excellent build-up play from Wilfried Zaha, Jason Puncheon and Andros Townsend.

But Nathan Redmond was on hand to pull Southampton level moments before the break with a left-foot finish from Ward-Prowse's cross.

Both sides had chances to take the lead after the break with Martin Kelly striking the post for Palace, while Wayne Hennessey produced a fine save to deny Shane Long before Maya Yoshida and Ward-Prowse scored within a minute of each other to give Southampton the points.

Hull moved out of the relegation zone with a 4-2 win at home to Middlesbrough.

The night started well for Boro, who took a fifth-minute lead through Alvaro Negredo when he slotted home Adama Traore's cross from close range for his eighth Premier League goal of the season.

Goals from Lazar Markovic, Oumar Niasse and Abel Hernandez looked to have Hull in full control at half-time before Marten De Roon scored in stoppage time to give Boro hope.

But Harry Maguire's 70th-minute header from an Andrew Robertson free kick finally ended Boro's chances.

jw5

Loyal
EPL Update: Spurs leading Watford 3-0 at halftime!

Key matches:

La Liga: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid k.o. 10.15pm 8 April SG time

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund k.o. 12.30 am 9 April SG time

jw5

Loyal
Arsenal fans lambast players on team bus after Crystal Palace defeat

By Mattias Karen, Arsenal correspondent
espnfc.com

Arsenal fans surrounded the team bus after Monday's 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace, hurling abuse at the players and manager Arsene Wenger.

More than 100 travelling supporters waited for the team to emerge from the dressing room and vented their anger as the players boarded the bus.

Some shouted for Wenger to leave, while others singled out individual Arsenal stars for criticism.

"Not good enough, Mesut," one fan shouted as Mesut Ozil walked toward the bus.

Another yelled out that Ozil's fellow German Shkodran Mustafi should "go back to Germany."

Wenger was booed as he emerged, with one man shouting obscenities at the manager.

Fans also turned on the players during the game, chanting: "You're not fit to wear the shirt" as they offered little resistance against Palace.

Arsenal are sixth in the Premier League and in increasing danger of missing out on Champions League qualification for the first time under Wenger.

The manager has faced increasing calls to step down when his contract expires this summer.

However, he said after the game it would be "inconvenient" to discuss his future straight after a disappointing loss.

jw5

Loyal
Marc Bartra has surgery on broken wrist suffered in blasts near BVB bus

By Adriana Garcia
espnfc.com

Borussia Dortmund defender Marc Bartra has undergone surgery on the broken wrist he suffered when three explosions hit the BVB team bus on Tuesday, his father has told AS.

The Office of the Attorney General of Germany is investigating after the incident, which happened as the players were being driven to the Champions League match against Monaco.

The game was postponed until Wednesday night.

Spain international Bartra was the only player injured when windows in the bus shattered in the explosions.

The 26-year-old was taken to a nearby hospital for surgery, and his father Josep said: "We spoke after the operation and everything has gone well.

"He told us to be calm, that all things considered, it could have been a lot worse.

"He is expected to be in hospital for a couple of days and then he will go home."

Earlier, Dortmund's media director Sascha Fligge confirmed that the defender "has a broken radial bone in his right wrist" and "several foreign objects in his arm," but Josep Bartra said doctors had told him there was no "debris" in the arm.

Barta Sr. said his son had "heard a loud bang and then smoke appeared" as the explosions hit.

He added: "He started to have a headache and his arm hurt a lot.

"He was in shock. He was in a daze for five minutes and he didn't know what was going on."

Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Burki told Swiss outlet Blick that he had been sitting next to Bartra.

"The bus turned into the main street when there was a giant bang, an explosion. I sat in the last row next to Marc Bartra, who was hit by the shattered glass of the rear window," Burki said.

"We all ducked after the bang and those who were able took cover, lying on the floor."

Bartra, a centre-back who can also play at right-back, is in his first season with Dortmund after his summer move from Barcelona.

jw5

Loyal
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique takes blame for UCL defeat at Juventus

Luis Enrique said he was "100 percent responsible" after Barcelona suffered another damaging away defeat in the Champions League, this time at the hands of Juventus.

Barca lost 4-0 at Paris Saint-Germain in the round of 16, only to win the return leg 6-1 and go through 6-5 on aggregate -- the first time such a first-leg deficit had ever been overturned in the European Cup.

They will now need another miracle back at Camp Nou, although Juve are likely to prove a sterner test than PSG when they take a 3-0 lead to Spain next week.

"It was a difficult first half, very similar to the one in Paris and the second was much better," Luis Enrique told Mediaset. "If you gift the first half, then obviously you're going to have problems.

"A coach does everything to help the team and prepare them, but evidently I did not. We have to improve, learn from these mistakes, analyse the game carefully and realise where we went wrong.

"It's the second time this has happened. It's hard to think of a remuntada [comeback], but we'll try to get back on our feet and put in a good performance in the second leg.

"It's not good to pick on single players after a defeat. It's a defeat for the whole team, starting with the coach."

i

He added in his postmatch news conference: "The feelings as manager are lamentable and it's difficult to explain. Positioning was a shipwreck, I wasn't able to transmit it well.

"I take responsibility 101 percent. We had better positioning in the second half, but the rival also let us have the ball. We created clear chances, but when you're having a nightmare like we had today you don't have that spark needed to take them.

"I don't have any energy to think about it now, but tomorrow will be the moment to pick ourselves up again and thing about getting three goals to level the tie and four to win it.

"I can't get the first half out my head. It's a shame because I saw the players with the intention to compete and to fight for the Champions League, but we've once again made errors...

"It doesn't matter if I think the result is fair or not, it is what it is. It was the third half off Paris and leaves a lot to be desired.

"I have little appetite to talk about the future now. Even though I am optimistic, it's natural I also pass through moments when I grieve. I am 100 percent responsible and that's difficult."