• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The New Paper: You can blame PAP Teo Ho Pin ONLY WITH HINDSIGHT!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
TOWN COUNCILS, SINKING FUNDS, LEHMAN BROTHERS & $12M

'You can blame them only with hindsight'
Financial expert, MPs say pointing finger at town councils not appropriate
By Lediati Tan

November 19, 2008

ONE word kept popping up after it was revealed in Parliament yesterday that two town councils had also invested in Lehman Brothers-linked structured products: Hindsight.

With hindsight, said Mr Leong Sze Hian, president of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, the town councils should not have invested in the structured products.

But, he told The New Paper: 'You can't blame the town councils. If you look at the last seven years, every year the most sold product in terms of volume in Singapore was structured products. They were seen as capital guaranteed.'

'With hindsight,' said Madam Ho Geok Choo, West Coast GRC, 'whether the decision is correct or not, I think at that point, no one was any wiser to know that months later things were going to take a turn in this manner.'

They were reacting to news that two town councils - Holland-Bukit Panjang and Pasir Ris-Punggol - had sunk about $12 million into the structured products, including Lehman Minibonds and Merrill Lynch Jubilee Series 3.

The figures were revealed by the Senior Minister of State (National Development and Education) Grace Fu in response to a question from Nominated MP Eunice Olsen.

Six other PAP-run town councils also have exposure to Lehman Brothers through their fund managers' investment portfolio.

These investments came to about $4 million and accounted for less than 1 per cent of each town council's funds available for investments, reported Channel NewsAsia.

The New Paper asked several MPs about what they thought of town councils investing surplus funds into structured products.

All of the MPs we spoke to did not think that it was appropriate to point the finger at the town councils and blame them for investing in such products. No one was aware of the risk at the point of investment.

'It's not just town councils, but individuals and corporations who have been hurt by this economic crisis,' reasoned Madam Ho.

And it's not whether town councils should have invested in such products, but how much, Madam Ho said.

Holland-Bukit Panjang and Pasir Ris-Punggol invested respectively 6.7 per cent and 2.6 per cent of their total funds for investment in the structured products.

This is well within the cap of 35 per cent of the sinking fund that each town councils can use to invest in non-government stocks, funds or securities.

She also emphasised the need 'to be a smart investor and diversify by not putting everything in one basket'.

Mr Zaqy Mohamad, MP of Hong Kah GRC, agreed.

'For town councils, it's a bit difficult when it comes to the management of funds. There has to be balance of expectations in poor times and in good times.

'We just have to be prudent in how we manage funds. The question to put to town councils is about total returns.'

He emphasised the need to look at total returns to see whether the loss has been offset by other investments.

He also told The New Paper: 'We have to be realistic. It's easier to say things with hindsight, but it's not so straightforward.'

Nominated MP Mr Siew Kum Hong said: 'It's easy to second-guess town councils' decision, but I think a better question to ask is whether other institutional investors have bought into these products.

'I would hesitate to second-guess the town councils' decisions.'

But Mr Siew reasoned: 'Of 14 town councils, only two have invested in Lehman-linked structured products - that is not to say that the other town councils did not invest in structured products.

'Now that the issue has come out - and $12 million being pretty substantial - the onus is on town councils to come out and be completely transparent.'

When the news broke late last month that some town councils had purchased Lehman Brothers-linked products, Dr Teo Ho Pin, MP for Holland-Bukit Panjang, told Channel NewsAsia: 'There's definitely no fear that any of the PAP town councils' sinking funds will be wiped out.

'All the supporting PAP town councils' sinking funds are in safe hands.'

He is also the coordinating chairman of the 14PAP town councils.

Low-risk better?

Should town councils, then, have stuck to investing in low-risk products such as fixed deposits and bonds?

For instance, opposition town council Potong Pasir invested $3m out of its $6m worth of sinking funds on Government bonds like LTA bonds, while the other half is in fixed deposit.

Said Mr Leong: 'Clearly the problem here was that (the two PAP town councils) were trying to lower their risk by investing because these were seen as low risk products.'

Focus less on risk reduction, he said, and more on risk diversification.

'When more and more people think that a product is low risk, the bubble situation may arise where a low risk product might explode in your face and become a high risk product.'

He added that in the last seven years, questions have been raised in the media about structured products.

Town councils should disclose what investments products they are holding, he added, so that they can be alerted should there be problems with what they bought.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those religious groups especially those church should be investigated too, who knows they also lost $ of the public donations in the investment and they said their "Goat" will forgive them for that? :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is nothing wrong with town council investing money in fixed deposit.

do not blame PAP.

SevenEleven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhap Mr Teo can enlighten me as to why a cleaning and management biz ended up being a major shareholder of a listed electronic/manufactuering company. How it it ended up so? Averaging punting? Who on earth did the TC seek to end up so?

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The thing is, why are the town councils be allowed to accumulate so much of monies? Isnt there suppose to be a mechanism to use the money for the benefits of the HDB residents? Or maybe the TC bastards wanted to hoard these monies to fuel their gambling habits?

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yada yada yada crap from our State Media to divert attention again and blame Singaporeans for expecting too much for our Million Dollar MiniStars.

Who were the ones who are always selling the PAP MPs as Demi Gods who are infallible ?

THE CITIZENS WANTS ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY CANNOT AR ?

The CITIZENS WANTS THE ACCOUNTS TO BE PUBLISH AND BE AUDITED CANNOT AR ?

THE CITIZENS DEMANDS TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF THIRD GRADE INVESTORS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TOWN COUNCIL INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO CANNOT AR ?

THE CITIZENS QUESTIONS THE RATIONALITY FOR TOWN COUNCIL TO HAVE SINKING FUNDS CANNOT AR ?

So all the blames are now FOCUS on Singaporeans who is now categorically assasinated by the State Media and potrayed again as ingrates and whinning citizens who only knows how to point blame.

Who have ALWAYS BEEN POINTING BLAME AT SINGAPOREANS IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

Going by the numerous cock ups from the Mas Selamat escape, the bungling losses suffered by Temasek and numerous other tresspass like the NKF and Renci episode, the truth clearly points to the fact that our mighty Pappies are truly incompetent and can ONLY BLAME SINGAPOREANS FROM DEMANDING RESULTS From them.

If they cannnot deliver, won't deliver and are always blaming Singaporeans and can only burden the people with tax and price hikes, then it is obvious that the PAPies are whinners in the first degree.

Surely, the obvious conclusion that we can derive is that our MPs are undeserving of their pay.

Time to demand that the PAP MPs volunteer a cut of their own salary to match their lack of talent and stewardship.

Teo Ho Pin should be the first to volunteer that he takes a pay cut.

Dan

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know, as far as my knowledge goes, I don't see such stuff happening in Australia. I mean, if the government here allows public funds to be invested in Lehman bonds here, and it becomes public knowledge, this state government would be facing a vote of no-confidence very soon.

The fact is that I believe public funds cannot be invested in private sector, both local and overseas, bonds, like it or not. And thus, if we had a proper ethnics bill that was passed, we wouldn't have such stuff coming out.

To say that shit happens is a sign of the total lack of responsibility. And it reminds me of Rumsfeld who also said "shit happens" when Baghdad was in a state of chaos after the capture of the city- and that set a precedent of irresponsibility.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remember tis? ...

It cannot be that if I invested and it turned out well, then I am happy, but if I invested and it turned out badly, then I am entitled to compensation.

wen it happened 2 other individuals ... ya, dose individuals r 2 blame demselves 4 being greedy ...

wen it happen 2 u ... ya, cannt blame u ...