• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local rocker chick Inch Chua: where's the sapork for local talents? byee

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Inch Chua slams lack of support for local musicians<cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; font-weight: inherit; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 12px; display: block; font-family: arial; vertical-align: middle; ">By ewenboey | MusicScene

600yahoo_inchchua.jpg

Inch Chua is "heartbroken" over what she believes is a lack of support for local musicians in Singapore.

Local musician Inch Chua is "heartbroken" over the lack of support for local music in Singapore, and has made the tough decision to leave her homeland to further her music career.
The 22-year-old singer-songwriter aired her frustration over the support -- or rather lack of support -- for local music in a note on Facebook earlier this week.
"I've always been one that's hopeful about things here, and I've been very positive. But after much much thinking and sitting on it for months, I decided it was the best decision to make if I wanted to grow as an artist," the pint-sized artiste told Yahoo! Singapore.
Chua is still in the midst of firming up the details of moving away, but it is understood that she will be heading to Los Angeles, which, according to her, has a more progressive environment for the arts.
Regarding her note on the social networking site, the singer of local band Allura said that it was initially private and not suppose to be circulated, but a couple of her musician friends wanted to post it so she made it public.
Despite packing her bags for greener pastures, the powerful siren insisted that there is still hope for Singapore music. She believes that there is only so much artistes can do, and indicated in her note that more support is needed from both the government and the people.
Chua declined to elaborate on what led to her online outburst and decision to leave her homeland, but revealed that the last straw was with regards to an un-named huge arts event.
"I'm not leaving permanently. Just for a season in my life to grow. There are many personal factors that led to my decision," she said.
"Just for the record, I've never once given up or will give up on Singapore," added the Chua.
Here is what she wrote in her note on Facebook:
This letter is probably not directed to any of my friends on facebook, the very kind people on my facebook fanpage and anyone who has ever (legally) downloaded or supported my music or of any other local artist.
But this is a letter, a letter from a very heartbroken Singaporean artist to the general mass of people who just don't care or are just too close-minded to see the big picture. Yes, you.
Its sad, because i don't think i could have tried any harder with you, Singapore. When it comes to you, it has always been an uphill battle, where i'm swimming against the currents. Time to time, i'd always catch you make comments like, "i don't like this band, they don't play any songs i know" or "oh, this band is good, they don't sound local".
Why? why are we possibly the only country where "local" has so much negative connotations tagged with it. why are we the only country where you're only considered a GOOD, COMPETENT musician when you can play covers. why are we the only bloody country where the press and media will have to INTENTIONALLY highlight that a local musician plays an "original compostition".
Why?!
Why am i not accepted in your working society? On a day to day basis i have to deal with a hefty amount of people judging me; assuming i've made some majorly bad decisions in my life to wind up a musician. Why can't i be musician? i don't need your definition of success to be placed upon me. i don't need your approval to do what i know i should be doing. i don't need you to tell me that there is no future in Singapore Music, i don't need you to tell me that what i'm doing is a lost cause.
Why?! Why do i have to try so hard to prove my worth about my contributions to society? why is it that our independent music community has minimal government support? why don't i have someone to count on?
So on this note, i'd like to annou(n)ce that i've decided to move to another country to pursue my career. i'm not giving up on you Singapore, but rather its due to the fact that its the only choice i have, thanks to your pathetic need of validation from elsewhere before you see things clearly for yourself.
i'm hurt and you know why. i'm angry because i've been hurt for a long time now.
But no matter how heartbroken i am, i'm now more ready than ever to get out of the boat and walk on water.

Yours Truly,
A 100% A HOME-GROWN SINGAPOREAN ARTIST & PROUD OF IT.

</cite>

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She has a good range, vocal clarity and a young artist's soul..

Good luck Miss Chua. Go live your dreams outside these tall walls.

<embed src="http://sciencestage.com/flvplayer.swf" quality="high" width="450" height="367" name="VideoPlayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="file=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtRHDdUtQ84&width=450&height=367&displaywidth=450&displayheight=367&overstretch=true&showfsbutton=false&image=http://sciencestage.com/uploads/thumbs/68b4cwrdmki8tj70.jpg&link=http://sciencestage.com/v/41790/tedxsingapore-inch-chua-[-i-]nch-by-inch.html&linktarget=_blank&backcolor=0xFFFFFF" wmode="transparent" border="0">TEDxSing
apore - Inch Chua - [ i ]nch by inch
>

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3EwtYpdI8C0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know what is "successful" here for a musician.

For her (or anyone) to sell original pieces, she has to have a crowd that can identify with her music, style, message, something. Which group of people does she appeal to? Working class? Blue collar? Teenyboppers? Underground? For an Asian musician to sing in English, her crowd is even smaller. Try getai.

She wouldn't be the first local to get scant support. The market is too small and Sg artistes are overwhelmed by the international scene (it;s an international city after all.) In my days, The Heritage did originals - no one even listened. They couldn't even last through a 3 month contract with most pubs they played in. The crowd (English song listeners) only wanted bands to play Hotel California and Smoke on the water - familiar stuff.

I don't know how this Inchua is going to make her mark outside unless she's got something nobody else does.And ever soince the material girl, it is more marketing skills than actual music. It is uphill all the way. Better get to make some friends in advertising and write commercial jingles. My two cents.

Cheers!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
She need to venture outside and gather a following from key Chinese markets such as Taiwan. Singing English songs in Asia is as good as fucking oneself.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, if you don't want to study become DOCTOR, LAWYER or ENGINEER, the gahmen has no plans for you. Thank you.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Her vocals remind me of this girl's:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bt_Mdm-Ew94" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Heartstopper"

You said I began
This messy state of love affair
And I drink too much and smoke too fast
And this city's cleared my innocence

Coffee is pouring out my ears
It's the only thing they have in here
And my heart stops beating

And when it stops it stops
My heart stopped beating
My heart stopped beating

Number tree still on my plate
I heard the trains are running late
And I laugh out loud
My life is a mess
I have gone too far
In my lifelessness

Another coffee it's on the house
The poor girl look is on the owners spouse
And my heart stopped beating

My heart stopped beating
My heart stopped beating

Outside your house
To make a scene
In my head you grabbed me passionately
But the lights are out
And in an hour I walked on home
In the pouring shower
Lost my keys in front of me
My neighbor's smile he's handing me
The blackest coffee you will ever see

And my hearts stopped beating

My heart stopped beating
My heart stopped beating

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Market size if important if you want to do originals. The Jansen brothers in Heritage were so stubborn that they did not make it. There was another local band called Legal Exile who made the exact same comment as Inch Chua and thus adopted the band name to reflect it. Singapore is a wide open market. You can get a Filipino band on the fly and on the cheap. There is also no homegrown music to allow the local radio to carry and develop a localised segment.

The smarter ones becomes lawyers, journalists, bankers and lecturers by day and do gigs at night. They enjoy both sides of the world. Not that it is the norm elsewhere but in Singapore, that seems to the only way to progress in life, do things you like and keep your sanity.

By the way, she should realise that even in major markets in the west. The failure rate amongst those with decent skills in the music genre is also very high. There are thousands that don't make it. It is so bad that some musicians and bands actually pay promoters money to do gigs to get the exposure.

I don't know what is "successful" here for a musician.

For her (or anyone) to sell original pieces, she has to have a crowd that can identify with her music, style, message, something. Which group of people does she appeal to? Working class? Blue collar? Teenyboppers? Underground? For an Asian musician to sing in English, her crowd is even smaller. Try getai.

She wouldn't be the first local to get scant support. The market is too small and Sg artistes are overwhelmed by the international scene (it;s an international city after all.) In my days, The Heritage did originals - no one even listened. They couldn't even last through a 3 month contract with most pubs they played in. The crowd (English song listeners) only wanted bands to play Hotel California and Smoke on the water - familiar stuff.

I don't know how this Inchua is going to make her mark outside unless she's got something nobody else does.And ever soince the material girl, it is more marketing skills than actual music. It is uphill all the way. Better get to make some friends in advertising and write commercial jingles. My two cents.

Cheers!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
local sing angmo songs? ... mov inch by inch oso difficult la ...

she shud copy ah stefanie ... sing chinese ... but 1st, go 2 taiwan ...

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She has a good range, vocal clarity and a young artist's soul..

Good luck Miss Chua. Go live your dreams outside these tall walls.

<embed src="http://sciencestage.com/flvplayer.swf" quality="high" width="450" height="367" name="VideoPlayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="file=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtRHDdUtQ84&width=450&height=367&displaywidth=450&displayheight=367&overstretch=true&showfsbutton=false&image=http://sciencestage.com/uploads/thumbs/68b4cwrdmki8tj70.jpg&link=http://sciencestage.com/v/41790/tedxsingapore-inch-chua-[-i-]nch-by-inch.html&linktarget=_blank&backcolor=0xFFFFFF" wmode="transparent" border="0">TEDxSing
apore - Inch Chua - [ i ]nch by inch
>

Ya lor! Live your dreams and remember the world is your oyster! U are still so young; nohing to lose.Sinkapore is only for the political elites and the favoured class (all politically correct).