• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa not big enough for Martinez - Wigan owner Whelan

The Latics chairman expressed his delight that the Spaniard will stay at the club despite interest from the Midlands and insists that he was never offered the Anfield hot seat

May 31, 2012 12:50:00 PM

By Will Turner

188608hp2.jpg

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has expressed his delight at Roberto Martinez's decision to snub Liverpool and Aston Villa and remain at the DW Stadium.

The Latics supremo revealed that Martinez was never happy with the offer from Anfield and believes that Villa "are not big enough" to be able to tempt the Spaniard from Lancashire.

"Roberto is staying at Wigan and, of course, I am absolutely delighted. He was never offered the job at Liverpool because he wasn't happy with the way the job was presented to him," Whelan told Sky Sports.

"He has had some talks with Villa, but he's not going to go there. Villa are a fantastic club with great fans, but I never thought they were big enough for him.

"I've said all along that I never thought he would end up there, and, fortunately for us, that's how it has turned out.

"If Roberto is to go anywhere, it will be to one of the top clubs in Europe. We're just so pleased that he's staying with us for another season."

Whelan also revealed that he will be looking to extend Martinez's contract at the DW Stadium after guiding the Latics to Premier League survival last season.

"We've discussed a lot of things and it was a productive afternoon. He's got two years left on his current contract and we will be looking to extend that.

"We've also agreed to build up the academy and the training facilities.

"We want Roberto to be happy at Wigan and we'll be aiming to make sure we do everything to help him."

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The world most expensive bench warmer is pretty choosy

164538_thumb.jpg

Caceres: Suarez has asked me about Juventus
The Uruguayan defender has admitted that he has been in touch with his compatriot about the Old Lady, but added the attacker is happy on Merseyside for now

117848_thumb.jpg

Former Rangers director Gordon Smith rules out Liverpool role
The former Scottish Football Association chief executive does not wish to be considered for the director of football position at Anfield as FSG continue to restructure their staff

172899_thumb.jpg

Vermaelen: I will stay at Arsenal forever
The Belgian stopper rules out any transfer, insisting that he is delighted to be living in London and happy to spend the rest of his career with the Gunners

189027_thumb.jpg

Rodgers will be a success at Liverpool, says Alan Tate
The defender predicts a positive future for the Reds should the former Reading man take over from Kenny Dalglish, but admits the appointment will be a setback for the Welsh side

154023_thumb.jpg

Manchester City lead Liverpool & Tottenham in race for Gaston Ramirez
The Premier League champions have first refusal on the €18 million midfielder until June 6 while his agent has been authorised to talk to Spurs

189143_thumb.jpg

Van der Vaart agent confirms Schalke interest
The Dutchman’s representative claims the German side want the playmaker, with Spurs’ failure to reach the Champions League and his relationship with Harry Redknapp fuelling a move

162604_thumb.jpg

Redknapp set for crunch talks over his Tottenham future
The Spurs boss will meet the club chief on Friday as the pair look to settle their considerable differences, with the Londoners ready to renew the 65-year-old's contract

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In Pictures: Barclays announce best photographer and shot of the 20 Premier League seasons

Two snappers have received recognition for their work after immortalising some of the most breathtaking moments since the inception of the new-look English top flight

May 31, 2012 12:40:00 PM

By David Lynch

189253hp2.jpg

Photographers Mark Leech and Robin Park have been awarded for their work in capturing Premier League action over the competition's first 20 seasons.

Leech, who works for Offside Sports, received the Barclays Photographer of the 20 Seasons award for his stunning work with the English top flight.

He was responsible for images such as legendary Nottingham Forest boss Brian Clough celebrating his side avoiding the drop on the final day in 1993 and an acrobatic volley attempt from David Ginola at White Hart Lane.

Leech described being chosen for the recognition as "the proudest moment of [his] career".

Meanwhile, Park received the Barclays Shot of the 20 Seasons award for his picture of Wayne Rooney's match-winning overhead kick in the Manchester derby.

He said: “For my photo to be chosen as the best shot in the history of the league is very humbling, and something I will cherish for the rest of my career. It was an iconic moment, and one that was seen all over the world, so to capture it in the way that I did was extremely satisfying.”

The pair have been handed a combined total of €18,750 (£15,000) worth of photographic equipment for their efforts.

189251hp2.jpg

<center>
Head and Shoulders above the rest | David Ginola proves he's worth it
</center>

189252hp2.jpg

<center>
This is Gunner hurt | Tim Flowers willing to put his head in the mixer
</center>

189257hp2.jpg

<center>
Foot in mouth | Chris Perry gets peckish as Hermann Hreidarsson celebrates
</center>

189255hp2.jpg

<center>
Rain Cech | Carlos Tevez gets his head on it at a rain-soaked Old Trafford
</center>

189256hp2.jpg

<center>
Ol' Big 'Ed | Clough bids a legendary fond farewell to Nottingham Forest
</center>

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool agree compensation package for Rodgers & three members of Swansea backroom staff

The Northern Irishman is set to be confirmed as Reds boss on Friday and will take his assistant manager, performance analyst and head of sports science with him

May 31, 2012 7:14:00 PM

166751hp2.jpg

Liverpool have agreed a compensation package with Swansea for Brendan Rodgers and three of his backroom staff.

The Northern Irishman has agreed a three-year deal as Reds boss and will take assistant manager Colin Pascoe, performance analyst Chris Davies, and head of sports science and medicine Glen Driscoll with him.

The Swans broke the news on Thursday evening through the club's official website and the appointments are expected to be confirmed on Friday.

Rodgers emerged as a late candidate to succeed Kenny Dalglish at Anfield after initially rebuffing an approach from owners Fenway Sports Group.

The 39-year-old was said to be unhappy with the comprehensive list of managers in which the Merseyside outfit had expressed an interest.

However, following the reported withdrawal of Wigan boss Roberto Martinez, Rodgers expressed his wish to enter talks and has now accepted the role.

The former Reading man led the Welsh side to a 10th-place finish in their maiden Premier League season, following promotion via the Championship play-offs.

Meanwhile, the Reds slumped to a disappointing eighth which, despite League Cup success and an FA Cup final appearance, was enough to see Dalglish's time at the club concluded.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

187622_thumb.jpg

Pulis: Stoke won't sell Huth
The Potters manager insists the imposing German centre-back will not be sold this summer even if he refuses to sign a new contract at the Britannia

154936_thumb.jpg

Swansea given permission to speak to Wigan assistant Graeme Jones
The 42-year-old could be about to make a return to the Swans to take up the vacant managerial role after Latics chairman Dave Whelan gave the go ahead for talks

112623_thumb.jpg

Liverpool working 'very closely' with council over Anfield regeneration
Though the expansion of the Reds' home has been confirmed as a possibility and is the club's owners' preferred option, it has since been denied that a decision has been made

134232_thumb.jpg

Aldridge: Rodgers will be king if he succeeds at Liverpool
The former Reds striker believes the 39-year-old could make himself a Kop legend if he brings the glory days back to Anfield following his move from Swansea

182738_thumb.jpg

Chelsea captain Terry banned for three European matches
The Blues skipper will miss the Super Cup final and his side's first Champions League fixture next season following his red card against Barcelona at the Nou Camp

129947_thumb.jpg

Lucas eyeing pre-season Liverpool comeback
The Brazil international midfielder says he is in the final stage of his recovery from knee surgery and hopes to return in time for the start of the next Premier League campaign

185861_thumb.jpg

Frustrated Lukaku did not celebrate Chelsea's Champions League triumph
The 19-year-old Belgian did not feel a part of the club's famous win in Munich after not featuring in the competition and is looking for a loan move in search for first-team action

189284_thumb.jpg

Lampard injury a bitter blow for England & sorry way to end Chelsea star's international career
The 33-year-old is unlikely to land a prominent role for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil but was set to play an important part in an already depleted Three Lions midfield this summer

136687_thumb.jpg

Liverpool and Manchester United interested in Hector Herrera and Marco Bueno
Herrera is currently on national team duty representing the U-23 side that has already made history at the Toulon Tournament, while Bueno won the U-17 World Cup in 2011

147442_thumb.jpg

Bale hails impact of Walker at Tottenham
The Welsh midfielder has hailed the 22-year-old performances this season but has warned that next season will be more difficult as opponents will be aware of the threat he poses

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 1st June 2012

188990hp2.jpg

Report: Chelsea agree Hulk deal

Reports in British media indicate that Chelsea have agreed a £38 million fee with Porto for the transfer of Brazilian star Hulk.

By ESPNSTAR staff

In a spectacular display of Roman Abramovich's wealth, it appears as if he has sanctioned yet another big-money move within a week of Eden Hazard's statement of intent about having agreed on a move to the west London club. The transfer of the Belgian star is reported as costing the club £32 million although there has been no official announcement with regards to the confirmation of the transfer.

The Guardian reports that Porto were hoping to push the transfer closer to Hulk's €100 million release clause but with Chelsea being the lone bidder, the English club has managed to bargain the fee down even as it remains far beyond what most clubs can hope to muster at this early stage of the transfer window.

The Russian owner appears especially elated following the club's Champions League triumph and looks eager to build a new generation of talent at the club as the old guard of Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard and John Terry are entering the final stages of their careers. Drogba, for his part, has already declared his intention to leave the club and he ended his Chelsea sojourn in style by dispatching the winning spot-kick in the Champions League final against Bayern Munich.

Chelsea have still not made up their mind on the future of interim manager Roberto di Matteo whose contract runs till the end of the current month. Reports continue to emanate from the United Kingdom that the oil tycoon strongly prefers established coaches with former Barcelona Pep Guardiola being his prime target.

Guardiola is currently taking a one-year sabbatical and it is unclear if he can be convinced to change his mind even as he admitted that he could be 'seduced' by a good offer in the aftermath of Barcelona's Copa del Rey triumph last week.
The report also states that Chelsea's transfer business is primarily being handled by technical director Michael Emenalo who has helped the boss procure the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Fernando Torres and David Luiz.

He is said to be a direct successor to Frank Arnesen and was brought in by former manager Avram Grant who himself secured the job following Jose Mourinho's abrupt resignation following claims of interference from the upper echeleons of the club.

Torres' place appears to be safe, however, as chief executive Ron Gourlay indicated that "Torres is the man that we will go forward with" with the Spaniard being Andriy Shevchenko's spiritual successor as his acquisition was personally recommended by the 45-year-old billionnaire.

Such reasoning would entail that Hulk will be employed primarily down the flanks as a right winger but the Porto striker is comfortable with such a role and should be able to transition to the Premier League quite comfortably given his physical strength and athleticism.

Alongside Drogba, Jose Bosingwa and Salomon Kalou have been released from the club and Florent Malouda and Michael Essien could also be on their way out as both have just one year left on their contracts and could be utilised to help recoup some cash. Chelsea have already confirmed the purchase of Marko Marin from Werder Bremen and Kevin de Bruyne from Genk.

Hulk, 25, is a fan favourite at the Estádio do Dragão but the switch, if confirmed, would mark the end of a long-running transfer saga which began in earnest following former Porto manager Andre Villas-Boas' appointment as Chelsea manager last summer and has continued even after the Portuguese's demise at the club.

The striker has scored 57 goals in 91 games in the past two seasons and would further add to the striking talent available in England joining the likes of Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero in the annual goalscoring battle.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

United want Spanish star Alba to replace Evra but face fight with Barca for defender

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 06:23 GMT, 1 June 2012 | UPDATED: 06:23 GMT, 1 June 2012

Manchester United will do battle with Barcelona over the signature of Valencia defender Jordi Alba. Reports in Spain claim the Catalan club are favorites to sing the left back, but Sir Alex Ferguson is understood to be very keen on him and sees him as a long-term replacement for Patrice Evra.

article-0-134F6DC4000005DC-234_468x329.jpg

Lots of admirers: Spain's Jordi Alba is wanted by Manchester United and Barcelona

Alba is rated as one of the best left-backs in the world and has been attracting interest from a number of top clubs across Europe.

But reports in Spanish newspaper Sport claim Valencia Sporting Director Braulio Vazquez is ready for Barcelona to make their approach for their star asset and he expects a bid in the near future.Vazquez said: ‘I suppose Barcelona want him because he’s Catalan and plays on the left wing.‘We are obviously talking about an excellent player, and it’s only normal that Barcelona are keen to sign him.’

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas pockets £12m for early Chelsea exit as Abramovich's spending spirals

By NEIL ASHTON
PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 31 May 2012 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 31 May 2012

Andre Villas-Boas has been paid a staggering £12million in compensation for being fired by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

The Stamford Bridge club confirmed the Portuguese coach, who lasted just seven months, has now settled his claim with them, after being sacked in March.

article-0-11D4CB12000005DC-224_468x305.jpg

No wonder he's smiling! Didier Drogba pats Andre Villas-Boas before Chelsea's Champions League tie in Naples

Villas-Boas is free to work again after Abramovich agreed to the settlement terms and he is expected to take charge at Roma during the summer.

Abramovich’s hire-and-fire approach has now cost the Champions League winners £76m in five years on management and coaching staff.

The figure of £64m, detailed in Chelsea’s latest accounts, took the pay-offs of Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Carlo Ancelotti into consideration.

Chelsea also had to fork out a £10m ‘transfer fee’ when they hired Villas-Boas after he won the treble in his first season with Porto.

It means the total bill for Villas-Boas, including his £125,000-a-week salary, stands at £32m for just seven months’ work.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm joining a dynasty! Rodgers says it was impossible to turn down Liverpool but can't buy any Swansea players for a year

By
SPORTSMAIL REPORTER​
PUBLISHED: 08:46 GMT, 1 June 2012 | UPDATED: 11:58 GMT, 1 June 2012

The Northern Irishman was officially presented as new Reds boss on Friday after a compensation package was agreed with Swansea.But Swans chairman Huw Jenkins confirmed Rodgers will not be allowed to take any of Swansea's players with him.

article-2153131-1365E104000005DC-747_634x410.jpg

YNWA: Brendan Rodgers has been unveiled as the new Liverpool boss

article-2153131-1365E7BB000005DC-83_634x407.jpg

Rodgers also explained he would not have taken the post if it meant he had to operate alongside a director of football.

He told the South Wales Evening Post: 'For me, the only way I was going to leave Swansea was for a big club, and I mean a big club.

'It was an extremely, extremely difficult decision because my plan was always to stay here at Swansea for a number of years.'I have always been up front and honest. I have always said that I wouldn't be here forever and that one day I would go, but I honestly never thought the opportunity would come round now.'In my life and in my football, I have been very happy in Swansea.'But when an opportunity to work at a club which is more than a club comes round, it's a professional challenge which is too good to turn down.

article-2153131-1365FA98000005DC-679_634x662.jpg

Next in line: Rodgers succeeds Dalglish at the Anfield throne

article-2153131-1365EC69000005DC-524_634x500.jpg

Big hitters: Rodgers with Liverpool's managing director Ian Ayre (left) and chairman Tom Werner (right)

'Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game. They have won five European Cups and their status is up there with AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.'
At his unveiling Rodgers said: 'I'm very proud, it's a club with wonderful tradition and I feel very blessed with the opportunity to manage the club.

'Once I had found out I was the number one target from the important people at Liverpool it was quite an easy decision,' he said.

article-2153131-1365E40B000005DC-857_634x405.jpg

Dynasty: Rodgers is joining a club which is steeped in history

article-2153131-1365EA33000005DC-21_634x438.jpg

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre also explained there would be a new set-up on the football side.He said: 'The structure, and Brendan is aware of this, is a more continental director of football type structure, a collaborative group of people working around the football area.'We don't expect at this moment in time to have a director of football per se but a group of people working with Brendan to deliver the football side of it.'

Rodgers added: 'That [a director of football] was something I made clear I couldn't work with.
'What you need is an outstanding team. We will form a technical board that will have four or five people that will decide the way forward.'Liverpool is a step up for Rodgers from his previous jobs at Watford, Reading and Swansea.

He also worked under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and insisted claims he was too inexperienced for the role were unfair.
'My pathway as a young coach has been different to most managers,' he said.'I have actually been coaching and working in football for 20 years. At Chelsea I had experience of working with big players.

'I look at Kenny Dalglish, he was the manager (of Liverpool in 1985) at 34 and resigned at 39. I arrive here at 39.'
But it seems he will not be allowed to boost his Anfield ambitions by taking players with him.

article-2153131-136600AC000005DC-694_634x411.jpg

Big task: Liverpool's terrible league performance needs attending to

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told Wales Online: 'I have a good relationship with Brendan and we've got some protection with him coming back in for our players in the short term.'We've got that agreement and a 12 month respite. The most important thing is our relationship is intact.'We have to look after our own interests and look to continue in the right manner.'

Rodgers hailed the Anfield side as one of the games giants as he made an emotional exit from Swansea.

article-2153131-1365FAA6000005DC-85_634x314.jpg

Task: Can Rodgers get the best out of Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stuart Downing?

article-2153131-13637C91000005DC-510_634x416.jpg

Replaced: Rodgers takes over from Kenny Dalglish (left) with Liverpool in need of an overhaul

He won praise for his attractive style of play at Swansea and initially turned down an approach from Liverpool before it became clear he was their preferred target.

He added: 'I turned them down once out of respect, because I didn't want to go into a process and disrespect anything about Swansea.

'When they come in a second time and make you their number one target, then you have to think.

'We have seen over a number of years that the number of British coaches who get a chance at the big clubs is very few.

article-2153131-0C7CEED500000578-110_634x385.jpg

Let's go: Rodgers will have to gee up the Anfield troops

'When those opportunities come, and they may come only once, you have got to make a decision.'Liverpool chairman Tom Werner claimed Rodgers would bring 'attacking, relentless football' to the club.'In Brendan we have acquired a very exciting and talented and young manager,' the American said.

'He's a forward-thinking coach at the forefront of a generation of young managers and will bring to Liverpool attacking, relentless football.'
Werner added: 'We did speak to a number of people in the last few weeks, but I want to say Brendan was the only person we made an offer to. He was our first choice and the right choice.'

Mourinho has backed Rodgers to succeed as Liverpool's next manager.The Real Madrid boss gave a shining endorsement to the man taking the reins from Dalglish at Anfield.

article-2153131-13202B75000005DC-716_634x385.jpg

Thumbs up: Jose Mourinho supports the appointment of Rodgers

'I am very happy with his appointment, especially because he did it as a consequence of all his amazing work at Swansea,' Mourinho told The Sun. He continued: 'Brendan is a good man, a family guy and a friend.'When he joined us at Chelsea he was a young coach with lots of desire to learn.'But he was also a coach with ideas, who was ready not just to listen but also to communicate and share.'

Rodgers had agreed a three-year deal to succeed Dalglish, although negotiations looked set to be held up by a wrangle over compensation.

However, the Carling Cup winners have agreed to pay the £5million that was in Rodgers’ contract.Rodgers is confident he will get time to introduce his methods at Anfield.

article-2153131-13652610000005DC-949_634x438.jpg

New kit: Craig Bellamy shows off Liverpool's new strip

'This is long-term, that was important to me, to come into a project over a number of years,' he said.'For me (the attraction), is to defend the principles of this great club, offensive football with tactical discipline, and to retain the values of the club. That was the attraction, the history of the club.'Also the frustration. It has been over 20 years since they won the title. We might not be ready for the title but the process begins today, it's a new cycle, and that is something that we will work towards in the years to come.

'
Liverpool's search for a new manager has been criticised in some quarters for being too wide-ranging, but Ayre was satisfied with how the club dealt with filling the vacancy.He said: 'There was a process and it was right to have a process. Brendan was at the forefront of that thinking, evidenced by the fact we asked Swansea very early on.'He was the only person we made an offer to. We got the person we wanted.'

He added: 'The process is a private process (but) it's fair to say we considered many people because that's what you should do. You try to understand how any individual fits with the profile.'
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez was another to have held talks with Liverpool before they plumped for Rodgers.

article-2153131-1365221B000005DC-769_634x434.jpg

Ready: Bellamy backed Rodgers' appointment

Ayre said: 'Roberto was one of the people in that process. We went through that with a lot of people.

'Some people decided to say they were in the process but they weren't. It was all about understanding individuals and matching their skill-sets with the profile.
'Brenden was at the forefront of that and at the outcome of it and that was exactly what we wanted.'

He has been told he can spend this summer and Sportsmail can reveal that, as well as attempting to hijack Swansea’s £6.8m move for Hoffenheim’s Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, Rodgers wanted his old club’s highly-rated Wales playmaker Allen, whom he sees as the type of player he needs to transfer his pass-and-move style of football to Anfield.

But Jenkins' comments about the 12-month period means it is unlikely Allen will go be allowed to go to Liverpool.

Rodgers is already taking three members of his backroom staff to Anfield.

article-2153131-135F942F000005DC-226_634x451.jpg

Wanted: Hoffenheim's Gylfi Sigurdsson (left) is being chased by Rodgers

The 39-year-old has been given the go-ahead by Liverpool owners FSG to bring assistant manager Colin Pascoe, head of performance analysis Chris Davies and performance consultant Glen Driscoll to Anfield.

Swansea confirmed that compensation had been agreed for all three and their appointments will be finalised. Dalglish’s assistant Steve Clarke has had one resignation offer rejected at Anfield but it is understood that he will now leave.Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy agreed with the choice of new manager.

'I think they have made a very good appointment in Brendan Rodgers, I really do,' he said.'He is a very good guy as well, speaks well, knows his football, and he has proven himself.'

Rodgers has been told there are no huge expectations for his debut season, while he has indicated to the owners that Liverpool are a club in need of major change and that will take time.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hulk heading for the Premier League as Chelsea lead the way for £38m rated striker

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 08:01 GMT, 1 June 2012 | UPDATED: 08:06 GMT, 1 June 2012

Hulk's agent has claimed the Barclays Premier League is the best place for the Brazilian attacker to play while Chelsea squabble with Porto over a deal.

The Blues are attempting to pay less than the £38million Porto would likely accept for their star player.

The 25-year-old can play both as a winger and a central striker and has scored 57 goals in 91 games during the past two seasons.

article-2149211-133E58E6000005DC-693_468x328.jpg

Chelsea bound? Hulk could replace Didier Drogba at Stamford Bridge

His agent Theodoro Fonseca told Antena 1: 'Hulk has the desire to play in a better and more competitive league, with the thought of making Brazil's squad at World Cup 2014.'The Premier League fulfills that requirement.'

Porto have previously claimed they would not sell the forward for less than his buy-out clause of 100m euros (£80.5m) but it seems they are willing to accept a lower offer.

article-2149211-130FB254000005DC-840_468x308.jpg

Champion: Hulk (centre) won the Portuguese First League Trophy with Porto

Several teams have been linked with Hulk, including both Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Tottenham, but only Chelsea have made a concrete offer for the player.Chelsea have shelled out £32m for Eden Hazard in a bid to give Fernando Torres better a better supply line in the hope he will rediscover his goalscoring form. If the Blues can procure Porto's key man, the attacking midfield trio of Hulk, Hazard and Mata would be a formidable threat.German winger Marko Marin was also signed for £8m and appeared to have little competition for a place in Chelsea's attack - that is looking less and less the case with every passing day.

Madrid enter race to sign Hulk but Chelsea remain in driving seat for striker

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mancini hints at Manchester City move for Arsenal star Van Persie

The Italian has suggested the Premier League champions will only sign a striker if one of their current attackers leaves, but indicated he is still interested in the Dutchman

Jun 1, 2012 10:42:00 AM

185963hp2.jpg

Roberto Mancini has hinted that Manchester City could still make a move for Arsenal striker Robin van Persie this summer.

The Dutch international's future remains uncertain, with the Gunners understood to be unwilling to let the player leave this summer, though Van Persie is thought to be reluctant to sign a new contract.

And while the Etihad Stadium boss suggested he will only bring a forward in if one of his front line were to leave, with Edin Dzeko reportedly available, a bid could still be on the cards, although he ruled out making a move for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani.

"We will sign a striker if one of our forwards will leave," Mancini told Tuttosport. "We want to keep all of them."

"[Robin] van Persie is a top class player. His situation is different than the [Gael] Clichy and [Samir] Nasri ones, when we signed them. It was difficult to keep them at London for [Arsene] Wenger.

"It's impossible to sign [Edinson] Cavani at his current price, Van Persie is different. Cavani has everything. I wanted him when I was at Inter and he didn't score so many goals."

Mancini also suggested that controversial strikers Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli would both stay at the club, despite having hit the headlines for off-field matters last season.

"I forgive [Carlos] Tevez and his goals were useful for the title. He will stay at City if he does not ask to be sold. [Mario] Balotelli will stay for sure," he added.

"[Sergio] Aguero still hasn't taken advantage of his whole potential. If he will listen me, he will become like [Lionel] Messi, able to score 1-2 goals per match."

Finally, the Italian also revealed the club's buying strategy for the summer, but dismissed reports the Premier League champions would sign Thiago Silva from AC Milan.

"We prefer to buy young players, 22-23 aged. But now we could also choose some experienced players," he explained.

"I would like to keep [Aleksandar] Kolarov, even if he played few games in last months. Great players don't accept to stay on the bench easily

"I always like [Claudio] Marchisio, but he grew at Juve and he will stay there. Last year I was wondering to sign [Giorgio] Chiellini, this year no.

"Milan won't sell Thaigo Silva. I was at Milan head office because [Adriano] Galliani invited me there."

Last edited:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

159055_thumb.jpg

Tottenham defender Ledley King hints at retirement
The centre-back, who has struggled with injuries for several years, confirmed that talks with the club over a new deal are ongoing but that he is considering a non-playing role

186315_thumb.jpg

Premier League is best-represented at Euro 2012
A full 20 per cent of the 368 players taking part in the summer tournament ply their trade in England's top flight, with the competition also still Europe's biggest earner

187471_thumb.jpg

Gerrard applauds Chelsea's signing of 'special player' Hazard & tips Belgian to set Premier League alight
The Liverpool skipper was impressed by the impending new arrival at Stamford Bridge and is wary of his talents ahead of Three Lions' friendly clash at Wembley on Saturday

184121_thumb.jpg

Gerrard 'excited' at prospect of working with new Liverpool boss Rodgers
Speaking ahead of the Three Lions' friendly against Belgium, the Reds' captain revealed his delight at the former Swansea boss' appointment and confirmed that he was first choice

189381_thumb.jpg

Brendan Rodgers confident of making big step up at Liverpool
The new man at the helm at Anfield insists that as soon as he realised he was the number one choice to be the next Reds boss it was an "easy decision" to leave Swansea City

189379_thumb.jpg

Rodgers ushers in new Liverpool era on his own terms
The Northern Irishman inevitably expressed his delight at landing the Reds job but evidenced plenty of the steely resolve which could see him become a success on Merseyside

163485_thumb.jpg

Bellamy: Liverpool will be a 'huge, huge challenge' for Rodgers
The Welshman feels the former Swansea boss is a good choice but warns the incoming coach that he faces a big test of his credentials on Merseyside

189372_thumb.jpg

Ayre: management at Liverpool to be based on continental model
The Anfield official has hinted that a collaborative team of consultants could work with the club's new coach, a system traditionally found in the European game

150733_thumb.jpg

John W. Henry: Rodgers was the unanimous first choice for Liverpool job
The Northern Irishman will be the third manager since the American's Fenway Sports Group took over, but the owner believes that he can lead the club to Premier League titles

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

152216_thumb.jpg

Hodgson scouted Hazard for Liverpool
The former Reds boss, who was recently appointed by England, has told reporters that he watched the highly-rated Belgian during his short spell on Merseyside

189284_thumb.jpg

Lampard won't turn his back on England
The Chelsea midfielder is refusing to talk about retiring from international duty, despite conceding that appearing at another major tournament is unlikely

189473_thumb.jpg

Bellamy excited to work with Rodgers at Liverpool
The Welsh striker admitted he was sad to see Kenny Dalglish leave the club but is looking forward to a new era under the 39-year-old former Swansea manager

183058_thumb.jpg

Manchester United prospect Will Keane suffers cruciate knee ligament injury
The promising 18-year-old is expected to be out for an extended period of time after damaging his knee during England Under-19's clash with Switzerland on Wednesday

171645_thumb.jpg

Hulk: I leave my future in the hands of my agent
The Brazilian striker is looking to distance himself from the endless reports about his move away from Porto as he looks to focus on the national team at the Olympics

185892_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson promises Manchester United fans dramatic title reclaim
The 70-year-old has warned of further late drama to come next year after the stunning end to the last campaign which saw rivals Manchester City win the crown in the last seconds

138604_thumb.jpg

Liverpool job a 'no-brainer' for Brendan Rodgers - Neil Taylor
The Swansea left-back is disappointed to see his manager leave but is happy for the Northern Irishman, whom the Wales defender believes is capable of coaching a top-four club

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson turns to TV to sell more United season tickets

By CHRIS WHEELER
PUBLISHED: 16:50 GMT, 1 June 2012 | UPDATED: 19:38 GMT, 1 June 2012

They claimed to be supported by a 10th of the world's population earlier this week, but it appears Manchester United still need an imaginative sales pitch to encourage fans to renew their season tickets.

Thousands have been sent a video message from Sir Alex Ferguson in which he reminds fans that last season's Premier League heartbreak was the kind of drama that makes United worth watching.

article-0-0086EC5000000514-981_468x318.jpg

More to come: Sir Alex Ferguson promised more drama in future years

In a two-minute address, he says: 'When you look back on last season, it tells you the story of Manchester United.'There is no club in the world who can create the drama that we created.

article-0-131216C4000005DC-846_468x318.jpg

Edge of glory: United were seconds away from Premier League victory until Sergio Aguero scored Manchester City's winner against QPR

'OK, it didn't work out our way this time, but when you go back through the years and the number of times we have scored last-minute goals it just added to the excitement and drama of Manchester United.

It will always be there because that is the kind of club we are.
'When you are buying your season ticket you are guaranteed a possible heart attack, incredible excitement in the last minute of games and hope that we win the championship back.'

article-0-13375496000005DC-30_468x286.jpg

Targeted: Shiniji Kagawa could join Ferguson's side this summer

United have missed out on one transfer target already this summer after Eden Hazard snubbed the lure of Old Trafford and elected to join Chelsea.However, the Red Devils are hoping to secure the services of Borussia Dortmund's Japanese midfielder Shinji Kagawa, with officials from the German champions confirming talks are at an advanced stage.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Harry plans dynasty

redknapp3_1520336a.jpg

By VIC HOLLY
Last Updated: 02nd June 2012

Harry Redknapp wants three more years to build a Champions League dynasty at Tottenham.

Boss Redknapp has held contract talks with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy this week, with senior players fearing he could leave.

Redknapp, 65, has only one year left on his deal but remains committed to the club despite the heartache of missing out on the Champions League even though he led the team to fourth place this season.

In spite of heart surgery in February and a gruelling court case he wants to continue his job of transforming Spurs into regular Champions League contenders.

Redknapp is 65. Three more years would take him to 68 when he may decide to call it a day, having insisted when he took over that this would be his last job in football.

Levy and Redknapp also discussed their plans for the transfer market this summer with a new defender on the radar after Ledley King was told yesterday he is free to leave the club.

While Ajax’s Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen is likely to join, Tottenham have pulled the plug on a £2.9million deal for Brazil defender Bruno Uvini.

The Londoners took the 20-year-old on loan from Sao Paulo in February.

A fee to turn that into a permanent stay was agreed at the time but Spurs have now decided not to take up the option.

Redknapp may also soon be after a new keeper, with QPR sniffing around Brazilian Heurelho Gomes.

The manager’s future is the priority for now though, with several key players concerned that Redknapp’s deal has whittled down to just one year and that the boss could leave unless Spurs prove he is their man for the job in the long term.

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ralf’s in fine Nick

Ralf_24_532x650_1519233a.jpg

By JAMES CLARKE​
Last Updated: 31st May 2012

Ralf Rangnick has his nose in front again in the race to be West Brom’s new boss.

Original favourite Chris Hughton’s chances are fading now it seems Birmingham will want up to £2million in compensation to let him leave St Andrew’s.

But former Schalke and Hoffenheim manager Rangnick, 53, has no such problems.

He has had further talks with the Hawthorns hierarchy and looks likely to succeed England chief Roy Hodgson, though no formal offer has yet been made.

Rangnick has been without a club since ending a second stint with Schalke eight months ago because of exhaustion.

He led the German club to the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2010-11.

jw5

Loyal
Paul Lambert confirmed as Aston Villa boss.
Now West Brom, Swansea and Norwich all looking for a new manager. :biggrin:

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

178092_thumb.jpg

Paul Lambert appointed new Aston Villa manager
The Scottish manager had an offer of resignation rejected by Norwich City but the two clubs have now reached an agreement over compensation for the 42-year-old

157847_thumb.jpg

Nani hints at pastures new as he claims Manchester United contract talks have stalled
The Portuguese was often overlooked by Sir Alex Ferguson this season in favour of Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young on the wings, but he still has two years left on his deal

189379_thumb.jpg

Rodgers demanded to be in control before agreeing to join Liverpool
The Reds' new coach says he needed to clarify with the club's owners that he would be in charge of football matters as a pre-condition of accepting the job at Anfield

185959_thumb.jpg

Arsenal annouce additional pre-season fixtures
The north London club are set to play in the Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup against newly-promoted Premier League outfit Southampton and Scottish giants Rangers in July

138607_thumb.jpg

Liverpool should sign 'special' Joe Allen, says Bellamy
The Reds striker believes that new boss Brendan Rodgers should raid his former club Swansea for reinforcements and hailed upcoming youth prospect Raheem Sterling

102401_thumb.jpg

Beckham: Football management is not something I want to do
The former Manchester United midfielder says he is not planning to move into the dugout when his playing career with MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy comes to an end

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No guarantee of Anfield stay for Liverpool, says managing director Ayre

The club's owners Fenway Sports Group are refusing to make promises over the Reds' staying at their spiritual home, despite a council ultimatum over the decision

Jun 1, 2012 11:16:00 PM

By Alex Kohnert

112623hp2.jpg

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre has reiterated that the club may not remain at their Anfield home.

The proposed redevelopment of the Reds' ground has faltered due to the need to demolish several terraced houses surrounding the stadium, but is known to be the preferred option of owner John W. Henry.

Liverpool City Council have now delivered an ultimatum that the club must decide whether they want to stay at Anfield or build a new stadium on nearby Stanley Park by the end of June, but Ayre insists there is no rush.

“The situation hasn’t changed," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"We have been engaged in dialogue with local residents, and with the council, but that is to do with a redevelopment programme being run by the council which we, as major stakeholders, have an interest in.

“Does it mean we are staying at Anfield? No it doesn’t. We are on record as saying we would love to do so. But it is by no means certain. We cannot say with certainty we will be staying at Anfield.”

Former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett famously promised “spades in the ground within 60 days” in reference to building a new Anfield during their ill-fated tenure, an aim which was never realised.

And Ayre underlined the need for restraint when making comments on any future plans regarding the stadium project.

“Promises have been made and not kept in the past," he added.

"We are working daily to move forward. But we cannot make any certain statements at this point.”

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Sweeper: Kagawa move to Manchester United hits snag over work permit issue

The Dortmund star could fall short of the number of required caps for Japan, while Sir Alex Ferguson is set to allow his Euro 2012 stars an additional two-week summer break

Jun 2, 2012 10:44:00 AM

TIDYING UP ALL THE LOOSE STORIES IN FOOTBALL THIS WEEK

<tbody>
</tbody>

Shinji-Nagawa-008.jpg

WORK PERMIT COULD SCUPPER KAGAWA'S OLD TRAFFORD MOVE

Shinji Kagawa’s dream move to Manchester United could be derailed by a potential work permit issue, the Sweeper understands.

The Premier League giants tabled a €16.8 million bid for the Japan international last week but a swift conclusion to the transfer has not been forthcoming.

Despite being an integral part of the Borussia Dortmund side which recently claimed back-to-back Bundesliga titles, the 23-year-old has featured infrequently for his country.

Kagawa was not included in Japan’s squad for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and has played in less than 75 per cent – the mark required to gain a work permit - of Fifa affiliated matches in the last three years for the Blue Samurai.

Japan have three upcoming fixtures, but even if Kagawa, who has scored 10 goals in 30 appearances for his country, was to feature in all of them he would still fall short of the required mark, meaning an initial application for a work permit in England would most likely be rebuffed and go to appeal.

Last season Arsenal’s pursuit of Kagawa’s fellow Japan international Ryo Miyaichi hit a similar snag, before he was granted permission to play in the Premier League on grounds of “exceptional talent”.

- James Goldman | Deputy Editor

SIR ALEX'S EURO STARS HANDED EXTRA TWO-WEEK BREAK

Sir Alex Ferguson will give his Euro 2012 players an extra two weeks' break before starting their pre-season preparations.

The rest of the squad are expected back on July 2 for the first day of training.

- Greg Stobart | Northern Correspondent

ZENDEN EYES RETURN TO ACTION

Former Dutch international Bolo Zenden has set his sights on returning to football following a year-long sabbatical.

The 35-year-old ex-Chelsea and Liverpool player has told Goal.com that he is 'still as fit as a fiddle' thanks to a disciplined personal training schedule at home in the Netherlands despite being without a club since leaving Sunderland a year ago.

Zenden, who came close to joining Blackburn last season, will step up his search for a new club after fulfilling his commitments as a television pundit at Euro 2012.

- Rob Stewart | Northern Correspondent