• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Salary Review Committee - A Farce?

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Subject: Is the Salary Review Committee a blatant farce?

May 25th, 2011 | Author: Contributions

The members of the ministers salaries review committee are people who are close to the government or the PAP. Almost all of them come from the rich elite class that benefited handsomely under the PAP. Such symbiotic relationships virtually guarantee they will not rock the status quo and just toe the line.

They have been told up front, via the Terms of Reference, to use ‘comparable jobs in the private sector’ as benchmarks, and then take a discount. In other words, they have no freedom to use other benchmarks e.g. salaries of political heads, ministers in US, Europe, Asia, etc for comparison. LHL has dictated to Gerald Ee’s committee that the only relevant benchmark is ‘the private sector’.

My friends from Mercer Consultants & Hays tell me the salary of top management in major industries in the private sector (i.e. the ‘comparable jobs’) had a hefty across the board increase in 2010. Recall too that ministers’ salaries were raised some 26% or so earlier. So, even if the Committee proposes a reduction of 50% from Ministers’ current salaries, the net effect is still millions of dollars for ministers. But many non-numerate, naive Singaporeans will hail it as a reform. LHL wants to implement the Committee’s recommendations as soon as it is submitted and cleared by government. There will be no parliamentary debate on it.

Several astute observers have already pointed out that Gerald Ee was a pliable tool of the government who rubber stamped their past pet projects that included every transportation fare increase. An ex-Nominated MP, Gerald is the son of distinguished philanthropist, Ee Peng Lian.

Yet another notable is Stephen Lee Ching Yen who works hand-in-glove with the government elite. An ex-Nominated MP (NMP), he was, and still is on numerous government related companies eg DBS, SIA & Temasek. He had been Chairman of SIA and CEO of Trade Development Board earlier.

George Quek, Breadtalk’s CEO is another beneficiary of the PAP’s policies i.e. cheap foreign labor in all Breadtalk outlets. Former PAP MP, Ong Kian Min sits on Breadtalk’s Board.

Top lawyer Lucien Wong of Allen & Gledhill is, at the same time, the Chairman of the Maritime & Port Authority, a government Statutory board of prestige & influence. Lucien’s law firm represented the PAP in several defamation suits against the Opposition. This is the same Lucien who committed adultery with a fellow lawyer years ago. Minister Shanmugam, another adulterer, also came from the same elite law firm.

Venture Corp’s CEO Wong Ngit Liong, is ranked by Forbes as amongst Singapore’s wealthiest. He is also Chairman of the National University’s Board of Trustees. Many recalled Wong Ngit Liong’s flirtation with a SIA hostess on one flight resulted in his wife slapping the poor girl so hard that SIA sued the couple.

I leave it to others to enlighten us on the qualifications of the other esteemed Committee members. Given the intertwined mutual interests of these people with the government, they know where their bread is buttered. How independent can their review be?

This Review Committee is neither independent nor objective. The cards are stacked heavily in the ministers’ favor. It is another blatant farce to legitimize the PAP elite’s million dollar pay, bonuses and pensions. It would be more equitable if some care had gone into selecting members who are not so beholden to the ruling elite. Having some members of the Opposition on the Committee would go a long way to assure Singaporeans that LHL is sincere when he proclaimed that there are no sacred cows that cannot be openly discussed.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
After one GRC lost now want to talk about salary review. Next GE 2016, kick all these gooses out and real reform, not transform, will take place.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
He got drunk and crash his 996 turbo behind a Police car, got away with a small fine, I heard later he donated "Generously".
1 country, 2 sets of rules.

"George Quek, Breadtalk’s CEO is another beneficiary of the PAP’s policies i.e. cheap foreign labor in all Breadtalk outlets. Former PAP MP, Ong Kian Min sits on Breadtalk’s Board."

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyo You Sinkies damn Funny

U think they are stupid?????????????????????????????

If they want to cut salaries, they will do it in 2015 not now

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He got drunk and crash his 996 turbo behind a Police car, got away with a small fine, I heard later he donated "Generously".
1 country, 2 sets of rules.

"George Quek, Breadtalk’s CEO is another beneficiary of the PAP’s policies i.e. cheap foreign labor in all Breadtalk outlets. Former PAP MP, Ong Kian Min sits on Breadtalk’s Board."

The venture CEO wife who slapped an SIA air stewardess was freed with s small fine. Breadtalk apparently has failed the minimum foreign workers quota if you count the number of foreigners they employed in all their Singapore outlets - MOM must have closed an eye.

At least I can think the above 2 scenarios are indebted to PAP. This CEOs will not come out with anything objective. Besides, I don't trust Gerald Ee who almost approved every round of Transport fare hikes and gave rediculous formala to confuse the passengers. Such combination of committee members spell good wayang show. The ultimate result of their review will speak volume of PAP sincerity for change.

Last edited: