• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

this Gurkha single-handedly fought off 30 Teleban fighters in Afghanistan

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20326341.jpg

LONDON - A NEPALESE soldier in the British army was given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taleban fighters.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint. He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Corporal Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taleban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September. Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Corporal Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound. Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.

Corporal Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London. The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross - the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.

'There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taleban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone,' he said. 'I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me. 'After that I thought nobody can kill us now - when we met the enemy I wasn't scared.' -- AFP

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Steady lah!!! Thank god we have so many gurkhas in Singapore. When the citizens are being disobedient, a squad of gurkhas will easily put us into place.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Nothing but respect for people like that. Standing firm in the face of certain death, unflinching till the last and fighting using makeshift melee weapons when out of ammo. Most would have deserted a long time ago or even gave up arms to the enemy.

Whether he lived or die, his enemies would remember his name. Its a real bonus that he lived though and got the reward he deserved.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing but respect for people like that. Standing firm in the face of certain death, unflinching till the last and fighting using makeshift melee weapons when out of ammo. Most would have deserted a long time ago or even gave up arms to the enemy.

Sorry dude. I think it's an absolute insult for an Indian to fight and die in a white man's war... especially if you know how they've looted the country through years of colonisation.

flkyflky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gurkhas Protesting @ Istana in support for MSK!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x6rucm"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rucm_joanna-lumley-joins-gurkhas-at-the_news" target="_blank">Joanna Lumley joins Gurkhas at the High Court in...</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/ITN" target="_blank">ITN</a></i>

Gurkha-protest-for-free-h-007.jpg

c86e4086ebb5b00e318f8e4586e4_grande.jpg

_42747075_gurkhas_getty.jpg

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oKSMUsfq4H0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

motormafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gurkhas as just useless stupid no-brains fit dogs that fight and die for money and obey order factually. And it is a myth that they win most of the time. The fact is most of the time they just gets injured and die in defeat. They are so unintelligent and simplistic mountain tribe, that they can not be trusted to handle anything to complicated than a rifle. They are not trusted to drive vehicles tanks artillery guns missiles aircraft radar signal equipments boat ship submarine etc. They are for simple missions mostly defending. They are not trusted to do infiltration sabotage spy reconnaissance commando assassination etc.

MSK proved that they all fucked up when even securing a cunning prisoner.

SG have to replace them with smarter soldiers.

If you want soldiers that are fit and obedient there are many alternate sources. Africans for example can out run most Gurkhas, as proven by most Marathons in SG. Gurkhas used to be SG's top runners but when Africans arrived they are wiped out! Gurkhas never win any much medals in Olympics. Any more complicated sports that need complicated skills they are out! E.g. Skying Platform Diving etc. In Fighting Skills they are NEVER medal shooters, NEVER TKD KRATE JUDO medal winners, NEVER boxing whistling top stars.

They are outdated simple rifleman standard, they will be replaced.

:biggrin:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
u sure about what you read? i had read real life accounts of them taking part in sabotage and recon missions in the operation dessert storm.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sorry man. i think Gurkhas are famous not limited to fitness or blind loyalty but for bravery too. in a lot of war situations, bravery is the key. anyway i think those so call taliban fighters are not as well trained as those UK or US troops. but they have the home ground advantage.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry dude. I think it's an absolute insult for an Indian to fight and die in a white man's war... especially if you know how they've looted the country through years of colonisation.

Eh!!!!

please lah he's not indian!

Nepal is a soverign country totally unrelated to india cept for maybe the religion but then so what? If it's due to religion i guess canada should be a part of the US.

It's like saying japan is a part of china since japanese look like chinese. How about vietnam being a part of china? Vietnamese have names similar to chinese.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
gurka are just elite soldiers..like commandos or marines...every country has their elite soldiers....in s'pore gurkhas are heavily promoted to strike fear among sinkies....

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
earlier article.

image-1-for-paper-25-03-11-gallery-46747237.jpg
A FEARLESS Gurkha who single-handedly fought off an attack by up to 30 Taliban soldiers has been awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross.

Acting Sergeant Dipprasad Pun, 31, above, fired 400 rounds and launched 17 grenades to thwart the assault on his checkpoint in Afghanistan.

He also beat away an insurgent with the tripod of his machine gun when the weapon stopped working.

The Gurkha ran out of ammunition but detonated a mine to repel the final two Taliban fighters.

His company commander, Major Shaun Chandler, arrived shortly after and slapped the Gurkha on the back – which made him think he may have been under attack again.

Asked if he might have accidentally fired on his commander, he smiled and said: “I had no ammunition left.”

Acting Sgt Pun was on sentry duty in Helmand province in September when he spotted the Taliban fighters.

He sped to the roof, opened fire and was under attack from rocket-propelled grenades for at least 15 minutes.

Most of the militants were 50ft away but two fighters got on to the roof.
via : http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...l-for-heroics-in-afghanistan-115875-23013548/

when it comes to the man. the Gurkhas are second to none.

there's a joke on the net.
"Gurkhas- Because a big guy with a little knife and a frown is not as scary as a little guy with a big knife and a smile!"

gurkhas-jpg.1418

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
gurka are just elite soldiers..like commandos or marines...every country has their elite soldiers....in s'pore gurkhas are heavily promoted to strike fear among sinkies....

They are used by LKY to protect himself from Singaporeans.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He looks so korean. If he was in korea or even in singapore no one would know he was a naplese. Yet ppl call him indian cos of his name. This is so screwed up.

tun_dr_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
u sure about what you read? i had read real life accounts of them taking part in sabotage and recon missions in the operation dessert storm.

Basically Gurkhas are being used to do donkey works when certain operation really out of ideal man power or needed a donkey for some reason one or two Gurkhas will be used to fill up the count. In the case of US they are so sensitive to live losses they can not fucking sustain further losses, so they are very tempted to deploy less suitable man power such as Gurkhas. USA in Iraq and Afghan had been essentially deploying immigrants and mercenaries when their quality man power can no longer afford to sustain losses. They use cheaper and more stupid Gurkhas to fill the body bags.:p