• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A comparison between Chen Show Mao and the "peoples MP" Tan Chuan Jin.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
BG Tan Chuan Jin is probably the most talked about PAP MP, being heavily promoted as the agent of change and someone in touch with the pulse of the people. He offers hope of renewal, much like Vivian Balakrishnan's first entry into Parliament. I had earlier expressed reservation as he could well be the next Anakin Skywalker, just like VB himself.

He had just posted a commentary on FTs, defending the justification behind the policy. He fails to acknowledge the social and infrastructure problems behind the massive surge in the FT population. I must say I am disappointed with this post of his. I have outlined his FB post in SithRed.

At the same time, I came across a charming letter from Chen Show Mao to a 12 year old in Aljunied GRC. It is very refreshing, although simple, shows a man that is without airs or pretense. With a genuine agenda for change. I have outlined CSM's post in JediBlue. I leave it to the forum to see if there is a difference between the intent of these two elected members of parliament.

TAN CHUAN JIN

Having foreign workers, talents etc in Singapore is not new. We have always been open to those who come to our shores to seek a living or to make this place home. My grandparents came here from China and Malaysia. As do many of your forefathers. I wonder how many of you on this FB are New Singaporeans or are second generation Singaporeans? Kee chiu! :smile:

These topic matters because we need to ask ourselves if they play a role in Singapore's development? What do you think? Should we tighten the tap significantly? What is the impact of that? What will we lose if we begin to go down that path?

I believe most of you do not see this as a zero sum game or are advocating zero foreigners here. It is a question of numbers, and also whether we do enough for Singaporeans.

I hope you are all aware that for a number of sectors, we have quotas that favour Singaporeans. Many companies esp SMEs are finding it tough as many Singaporeans are not interested in the jobs in these sectors. Costs would go up when supply is constricted (I know this is a simple generalisation). I do realise that in PMET circles, the situation is different and some of you have indicated to me that there needs to be more pro-Singaporeans approach. Concerns also abound about places in schools, especially in our Universities.

I am someone who believes that as people, we should treat others well. I have lived and trained abroad many a times, and have often encountered racist and less than friendly attitudes. It colours my experiences there. How we treat our foreign friends here...should it matter? Even if some move on to other countries or back home, if they felt welcomed here and made good friends, they would be good ambassadors and friends of Singapore...expanding our 'guanxi' further. Some will stay, as our grandparents and parents did, and they will labour and fight along side all of us as Singaporeans.

You will realise that this is a wide-ranging topic and I will probably start sub-threads and notes on this. Will also explore dialogues with you and interested parties on this so that we can all better understand the landscape we are in.

I will say this though. All policies are introduced because we believe that this is right for Singaporeans, for Singapore, and for our future. But no policy captures everything perfectly so your views and ideas matter about what to adjust, tweak and to strengthen.

Thanks in advance!
http://www.facebook.com/notes/tan-chuan-jin/foreign-workersimmigrationmatters/199863000056483

CHEN SHOW MAO

Dear Soon Chow,

Thanks for coming to my first MPS and giving me the opportunity to learn about you and what you care about.

While you may not feel it yet, the future of our country is in your hands and those of other young Singaporeans. What life will be like for us, how we will live with our neighbors, how we will feel about ourselves, will more and more depend on the decisions you make -- on what you do and how you live.

Sounds like a big responsibility, a great load, doesn't it -- not just a load of something...:smile:, but a load in itself. And there is really no getting around it or away from it -- we have the power to affect the lives of the people around us.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun, of course. I plan to. And I think I'd be fine if I just remember to use my head, have a heart and have courage.

All best,
Show Mao
http://www.facebook.com/notes/chen-show-mao/letter-to-soon-chow/156667194398549

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least at this stage... i am totally not convinced PAP will have any real change or listen to feedback.

"We thank you for your feedback. We assure you that every policy we adopt is for the best interest of Singaporeans. Reasons... bla bla bla... (in other words, we are not changing anything... because we know best)... nevertheless we value your feedback and please continue to feedback"

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least at this stage... i am totally not convinced PAP will have any real change or listen to feedback.

"We thank you for your feedback. We assure you that every policy we adopt is for the best interest of Singaporeans. Reasons... bla bla bla... (in other words, we are not changing anything... because we know best)... nevertheless we value your feedback and please continue to feedback"

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Visit

http://www.youngpap.org.sg/2011/05/a-big-thank-you-to-everyone/#more-4335255

Click on this or any of the other stories and if you wish to post a comment, this is what greets you...

"Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time."

Listen to the people? Transformation? Change?

You decide.

Silencer

Alfrescian
Loyal
the "peoples MP" Tan Chuan Jin.

Dear Sir

During and just after the election everyone promised change, now it seems to be past tense.

You said most of our forefathers were immigrants and that I agree.
Real Talents that came in heading the industries (P1) and as entrepreneurs we Singaporeans do not object.

But Sir, our forefathers do not have it so good with the infrastructure, amenities and various agencies of the good government to service them especially for those supposedly cheap PMETs disguished as Foreign Talents.
Of which some if meet the necessary requirements can bring their spouses and family here and could apply to be a citizen. They are from the "S" and Employment passes (Q1 & P2).

Then midstream you strayed to Foreign Workers, telling us they do jobs no Singaporeans want.
Again Sir, I agree with you.

By all means let this Foreign Workers come to meet the industrial needs just built their dormintories out of sight.
But Sir, do let it be known that this Foreign Workers can never be a Singaporean just because our law do not qualify them good enough to be a citizen. Foreign Workers are on Work Permit and if the women get pregnant they be deported. (Except for Malaysian of course).

Then you emphasized back to FT again. Please do not confused us.

To put it simply, let's start by stopping the false Talents coming in unless evident has it that no Singaporean applies.

As for the Foreign Workers, with the 2 IRs near total completion believe their numbers would be significantly lessen though replacing them may well be the foreign croupiers. :mad:

-----------

Am too old for facebook.

Last edited:

davetan3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: the "peoples MP" Tan Chuan Jin.

isn't CSM is FT in the past ....
I am confused.
If he entered the Medical faculty would people complain ?

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal

CSM entered Singapore at 11, and did NS. In short, he basically went through the education system, endured the farce that is called National Service. How is he FT? What is there to be confused about?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. i don't know what to say leh!
2. the sheep so-called "people's minister" tan.
3. honest, his response is just as good as a no-response.
4. isn't it repeating what the same flock of sheep's blahs?
5. looking at the other person's simple and yet passionate article.
6. it reflected depth of the individual as someone caring, mindful and patient.

davetan3

Alfrescian
Loyal

CSM entered Singapore at 11, and did NS. In short, he basically went through the education system, endured the farce that is called National Service. How is he FT? What is there to be confused about?

There are PRC FT doing this just to get citizenship and then go to USA for work ... see anything similar?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are PRC FT doing this just to get citizenship and then go to USA for work ... see anything similar?

Those FT make use of Singapore citizenship as stepping stone to springboard to get US citizenship, their ultimate target.
Not come back and signing on as opposition, making sacrifice to fight for you and me when he could afford to sit back to enjoy his fruits of labour.

THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP: I know what I am talking about (based on what, nobody knows). You all don't understand. You all always misunderstand. I understand you but you don't understand me. I am doing you good but you all do not understand. Anyway I listen.

This is PAP.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP: I know what I am talking about (based on what, nobody knows). You all don't understand. You all always misunderstand. I understand you but you don't understand me. I am doing you good but you all do not understand. Anyway I listen. This is PAP.

Most telling is the final paragraphs "Will also explore dialogues with you and interested parties on this so that we can all better understand the landscape we are in... All policies are introduced because we believe that this is right for Singaporeans, for Singapore, and for our future. But no policy captures everything perfectly so your views and ideas matter about what to adjust, tweak and to strengthen"... nice story telling but evading the issue totally with some not-so-flowery bullshit

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Any link to his facebook? I am going to screw the sense out of him. He needs to get out of his army fuck up mentality.

Last edited: