• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fastest Viral Letter - PAP and the Press will not reveal

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Below is what is now claimed to be faster viral letter in the history of the local internet. It has been circulating in the civil service, GLCs, public corporations and even appeared in major Japanese company (don't ask why the Japs are keen on this)

Please circulate to everyone in your address list. It's a piece that appeared on TOC this week. It is passionate letter, well reasoned and puts in clear perspective what motivates the PAP and it is not country nor its people but business and the KPIs of it.

The PAP strategy team is concerned enough to craft a response and do wait for it. It will not allude to this letter but it will try and dispel the notion that the country is being run as a business with no concerns about the citizens of this country.

Singapore Pte Ltd – a letter
Posted by theonlinecitizen on April 25, 2011
Samuel Lai
Dearest PAP,
You have been running Singapore like a business, like a corporation, where you are the top management, where the people of Singapore are your employees and where all other institutions like education, health and transport, are your subsidiaries. No sir, this is not Singapore Pte Ltd, and we are not working for you.
Every policy that you have come up with has been made with economic growth in mind, i.e., to increase profitability for Singapore Pte Ltd, with retained earnings going into the national reserves.
Our education model has been structured to produce a quality workforce so that we can contribute efficiently and effectively to the nation’s economic growth. You dispense with the arts and concentrate on the commerce and sciences. You bring in plenty of foreigners into our schools so that we have to learn to work and study harder in the face of more competition. And you have succeeded. We now work one of the longest hours in the world with low wages.
This has been done at the expense of social costs. As human beings, we have needs to get married, to start a family, to have kids. As human beings, we have needs for work-life balance, needs for social activities, and needs for communal living. The culture and environment you have so delicately created have come at the expense of those needs. We don’t have time to play football and therefore we suck at it. Ok, in fact we suck at everything that does not make money. And we definitely suck at making children.
When you look at our low fertility rate, which you have so created because of the environment you have made, you try to improve it by offering stop-gap solutions in baby bonuses and tax reliefs. And in fact, the reasons you want the fertility rate to rise is to continue providing quality workers to work for Singapore Pte Ltd, put more money into the reserves through taxes, HDB profits, consumption, investment, i.e. increase Singapore’s GDP.
And of course, the other viable solution is to attract talented foreigners to fill up this institutional void. This causes another set of problems, like whether locals find it harder to get jobs, and whether these diasporic communities will take up citizenship, or leave without further contributing to birth rates. Well, what the hell, talented foreigners are always good for Singapore Pte Ltd.
You privatize our transportation system. You couldn’t run such a basic necessity of a first-world country with the same efficient and effective fervor. So, running it as a private entity was the only viable way? You talk about health tourism. Is that what the health sector is about, making money from foreigners?
Once in a while you declare dividends (grow and share) to appease us, so that we don’t remove you from your managerial posts.
Perhaps the most telling of Singapore Pte Ltd are the KPIs of top management. Our CEO, earning $3 million per annum, has his wages pegged to GDP growth, and so are the wages of the COOs, the CFOs, and the various department heads. Your main motivation is Singapore Pte Ltd’s profitability. And given that at least 60% of Singapore’s GDP is contributed by Temasek Holdings and GIC, it certainly makes sense to increase the coffers of the national reserves.
It’s all about economic growth, economic growth, and economic growth.
However, countries are not just rated by economic growth. There are many other indicators that one may use to determine a country’s standing in the world, such as the purchasing power of the average citizen, the culture and ease of living, the efficiency of transportation, the range of quality education, the cleanliness of the streets, personal safety risks, and so on and so forth. You have undoubtedly excelled in some areas, but certainly not in others.
You forget that Singapore is not a corporation, but a community of individual human beings who have feelings, who can discern between what is good for us and what is not, what is fair and unfair. We, who have basic needs to have a roof put over our heads, and food to eat, have willingly contributed to your goal of building up the nation’s economy not because we are your employees but because we want Singapore to prosper, to achieve the vision of a first-world nation in which its citizens do not have negative emotions of fear, fear to vote, fear to speak freely, fear of the struggles of putting food on our table.
So, let me remind you, dearest PAP, that we have voted to put you where you are today. This makes us the shareholders. We are social beings, not economic assets. Together, we the citizens of Singapore own Singapore. It is us, the citizens, with our problems of rising costs of living, and not the profitability of the country that you have to care more about. And if you, dearest PAP, continue to run Singapore not as a nation of citizens but as a business, there will come a time when us, the shareholders, the real board of directors, vote you out and replace you with another management team.
Yours sincerely,
A shareholder of Singapore Pte Ltd

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Fastest Circulated Letter

Years ago, one of my friends who is affiliated with the PAP, told me, Charlie, you have been away for so long, you should concentrate on your profession in Canada. Don't waste your time on Singapore politics.

Less than one hour ago, I circulated the above letter to my former classmates and friends in Singapore, via bcc list, e-mail.

So far, I have received one response, and it is below:

Dear Charlie

Thanks for forwarding all these GE emails. It seems you are more in touch with the local scene than some of us here. When I hear Chen Show Mao saying that although he has been away for 40 years, he is still a Singaporean and very much in touch with Singaporean issues, I think of you and I know it is possible.

I attended the WP rally last night and the crowd was fantastic and supportive. Whether that translates to votes will have to be seen.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Here is another response to my request for "feelings and sentiments on the ground in Singapore":

"The people I interact with have indicated very deep dissatisfaction with the ruling party. Most of them are actually doing very well and not those who have fallen between the cracks. I guess the feeling is that the govt does not seem to care much for us and is run by a bunch of self serving people who will not hesitate to stoop low to deny a fair fight to the opposition.

For some, they are going to cast a protest vote because of the GRC system. If PAP did not field candidates like Rin Tin Tin, there would not have been such strong objection. It is an affront that such an unworthy candidate is going to sail into Parliament on the coat-tails of a heavyweight minister, because of the GRC. If the WP does not take at least Aljunied, I will just resign myself to the fact that we get the government we deserve.

At another level, I find people like Vixen, Sia Suay, Hen, WKS, Teo CH and even GCT a complete put-off. Their demeanours are repugnant and the words they say arouse anger and resentment. WKS and Hen are standing in my ward - it would give great satisfaction to deny them my vote. Someone told me, 'If they put a dog in the opposition, I would vote for the dog'.

When the mayor Nordin visited me a few years ago, I complained about the cost of living and the ERP gantries and said that we never had a choice on who we want to represent us. After he walked away, guess what, his helpers came back to me and said 'We agree with everything you said'.

I have a friend who has been a PAP member for many years, and served actively. He is disillusioned and made no bones that he's going to vote for the opposition.

We will see what happens - I haven't been so excited about a GE for a long time."

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about this other letter? Excuse me if this has already been posted.

The Issue With My Maid
I need your urgent advice about employing a maid. As a busy mother, I need someone reliable to help out at home.

My maid has worked for me for a long time. Her mother worked for my parents and did an excellent job, so I had faith in her. For several years her performance has been very good, but recently she has become arrogant and insensitive, and is making lots of mistakes.

For example:
1) She flooded my kitchen – when I asked her about it, she told me that the drain pipe was blocked (she was supposed to clear it once a month but didn’t). Then she assured me that it is very rare and won’t happen again in the near future. Guess what? It flooded again within a year!

2) She didn’t close a window and my terrier dog escaped. I was so worried because he is dangerous and could bite lots of people. After the incident, she didn’t apologise and just shrugged her shoulders saying “What to do, it has happened.” Fortunately my neighbor found the dog and we locked it up again.

3) Without consulting me, she has been bringing strangers to work in my house. She says they charge low wages and keep costs down, but they make a lot of noise and rest on my bed. I think they even tried to seduce my husband. It stopped feeling like my home, more like a cheap hotel, and I don’t always want to come back at the end of the day.

4) When she first came to work for me, I instructed her to clean the different parts of the house at least once a week. But for some time she has stopped taking care of the bedrooms of PP and H; they are now dirty and messy. I asked why and she told me that the kids had been disobedient, so she was neglecting their bedrooms as a punishment (even though she is paid to clean all the rooms).

Even though my maid has worked for me for many years and I value what she has done in the past, I think she is now getting complacent. She ignores my comments and basically treats my feedback as “noise”. I wrote to the agency about her behavior; they assured me that they are the best agency around and all their maids are “Trained to Serve” – but it seems like pure rhetoric and I don’t see that in her actions. Her salary is much higher than maids in other countries, but the agency say this is to keep her honest and stop her moving to another employer. They say there is a limited supply of maids, and Singapore isn’t big enough for more than one good maid agency, so I should not trust their competitors.

I have to decide whether to renew my maid’s 5-year employment contract. When we discussed this she said that she is now part of a team, and if I want her I must also accept her friends doing part-time work for me. One friend is very inexperienced, can’t do basic tasks or explain what she intends to do. I suspect that she is actually underage. When interviewed, she only seemed interested in her days-off and visiting Universal Studios. When she couldn’t answer my questions, she stomped her feet and exclaimed, “I don’t know what to say!” But I am still expected to pay her a high salary.

Now there happens to be another maid agency that offered me some helpers who seem sincere, genuine and intelligent. They are keen to work, willing to assist me and have a good attitude. I know that they may take a bit of time to learn how everything works, but frankly I am inclined to give them a chance.
People say that the devil you know is better than the one you don’t. But I feel that I can’t tahan my current maid anymore. She seems to have forgotten that ultimately I am the one who pays her high salary. Do you think I should change maids ? Appreciate your advice.

Footnote: The above is a fictional story. When I sent the article out to my friends, all of them advised me to change my maid. Clearly we value having the competition of maid agencies in our personal lives – so why do we not want competition in the political arena? As “employers” of our parliamentarians, we would benefit from the competition of policy ideas. Ultimately, Singaporeans are the winners.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro,

you are in a better position than most Singaporeans as you have seen the world and can be more objective. After all these decades you still can sense the fear factor when politics is discussed in a group. Sad but true.

Years ago, one of my friends who is affiliated with the PAP, told me, Charlie, you have been away for so long, you should concentrate on your profession in Canada. Don't waste your time on Singapore politics.

Less than one hour ago, I circulated the above letter to my former classmates and friends in Singapore, via bcc list, e-mail.

So far, I have received one response, and it is below:

Dear Charlie

Thanks for forwarding all these GE emails. It seems you are more in touch with the local scene than some of us here. When I hear Chen Show Mao saying that although he has been away for 40 years, he is still a Singaporean and very much in touch with Singaporean issues, I think of you and I know it is possible.

I attended the WP rally last night and the crowd was fantastic and supportive. Whether that translates to votes will have to be seen.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have seen this but the satire is lost because it was not crafted well. Even in this forum people are addressing as though the maid is actually real. Note the author's footnate. Some who have worked it out tend to treat as entertainment.

The other letter is truly damaging.

The Issue With My Maid
I need your urgent advice about employing a maid. As a busy mother, I need someone reliable to help out at home.

My maid has worked for me for a long time. Her mother worked for my parents and did an excellent job, so I had faith in her. For several years her performance has been very good, but recently she has become arrogant and insensitive, and is making lots of mistakes.

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have seen this but the satire is lost because it was not crafted well. Even in this forum people are addressing as though the maid is actually real. Note the author's footnate. Some who have worked it out tend to treat as entertainment.

The other letter is truly damaging.

Thought the satire was clear enough - if anything I thought it was too transparent. Pitched at the wrong audience.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Issue With My Maid

I strongly advise you to discipline her the sinkie way: burn her with a hot iron.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nice letter.

At first, I thot it was referring to a real maid. As it goes along, it becomes apparent who it was referring to.

Anyway, who wants a maid who pays herself million dollar salary?

The Issue With My Maid
I need your urgent advice about employing a maid. As a busy mother, I need someone reliable to help out at home.QUOTE]