• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE: WP's Chen Show Mao wants to help build strong opposition

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chen Show Mao could easily have joined the PAP. He was the top student of his cohort and went to three 'elite' schools. His classmate Dr Vivian is a minister. Chen himself is definitely minister material. But the fact that he chooses to join the opposition shows his courage and dedication.

And he served NS despite not having to do so. Unlike Janil Puthucheary who did not serve NS and appears to be proud of it!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This guy has been out of the country for the last 30 years. James Gomez the idiot has only been away for a couple of years and have shown to be totally detached from SG. Am I the only one who have a problem with this.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I attended the senior term of 4 SMC because I went to Section Leaders (as it then was known as SISL), then was a CPL with an infantry battalion. My OC was CPT Tan Hock Bee, the CO of OCS was a MAJ (unable to recall his name). I attended SATO for Reservist Infantry and Armour Officers.

I was 9th SMC, under capt Tommy Goh.

jw5

Loyal
4) In 1986, he took up citizenship to be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship which he received.
5) He has never resided in Singapore since he left for his degree after his NS
6) He has never worked in Singapore
7) He approached WP to stand for elections only recently

Why the need to be back in Singapore after all these years is indeed a question on some minds. I am aware that the PAP has been seeking people via characters like Simon Tay to stand opposite to the PAP to go in line with change in constitution and he is known to Simon and Viv B. I am just wondering if its the repeat of Chua Kim Yeow/Ong Teng Cheong Affair affair by the PAP where the nominees for the 1st presidency was chosen by the PAP. Another is Ben Pwee of SPP.

There is also the possiblity of qualified independents suddenly appearing and are in good terms with the establishment like these characters are.

Points 4 to 6 are ok in my opinion.
He may have taken up citizenship to get the scholarship, but everyone takes up citizenship for a reason. Some are born into it, others take it because it benefits them or their families in some way. Nobody takes up citizenship on the basis that they get nothing, but will in turn be loyal and faithful to their new country forever.
He may have been residing and working abroad because better work opportunities were available to him overseas than in SG. It doesn't mean that he doesn't consider SG home or himself a citizen.

The key point in my view is what his reasons are for wanting to be an opposition candidate in the coming elections.
What you are wondering remains to be seen, on how he performs if he is elected, or how he reacts if he's not.
Btw, what's your opinion of Ben Pwee?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This guy has been out of the country for the last 30 years. James Gomez the idiot has only been away for a couple of years and have shown to be totally detached from SG. Am I the only one who have a problem with this.

Well good question, considering that he had a great career in the private sector all these years. I personally feel that he probably wants to enter politics and do something right for this country. He's established and old enough not to worry about joining the opposition and jeopardize his already high flying career.

By the way, anybody who enters politics (PAP/non-PAP) always have their own agenda, whatever it may be.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand he's friend of Eric Tan (WP Treasurer) when he advised Royal Bank of Canada (where Eric was at that time).

jw5

Loyal
Well good question, considering that he had a great career in the private sector all these years. I personally feel that he probably wants to enter politics and do something right for this country. He's established and old enough not to worry about joining the opposition and jeopardize his already high flying career.

By the way, anybody who enters politics (PAP/non-PAP) always have their own agenda, whatever it may be.

That could be his reason. And you are probably right that he's not afraid of being jeopardized (probably earned enough and worked enough too) and about all candidates having their own agenda.

jw5

Loyal
I understand he's friend of Eric Tan (WP Treasurer) when he advised Royal Bank of Canada (where Eric was at that time).

This could explain why he joined WP, but it doesn't explain why he joined opposition and why now.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
This could explain why he joined WP, but it doesn't explain why he joined opposition and why now.

Pardon me but I think this is silly question. Why now? Must join at childhood or teenage? He was educated in Singapore in his formative years and served NS as army officer. That's good enough for me. He went abroad for studies and stayed abroad for work. That's reasonable enough for me. After academic and career accomplishments, he wishes to come back and be active in Singapore politics where he spent his formative years, that's reasonable for me. As to your why now question, if not now, then when? Until he's old like CST or LKY? Or when he's young but penniless without credentials?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you think Sam Leong and Neddy are totally detached from SG just because they are not in Singapore? People who are totally detached will no longer want to even talk about Singapore. So sometimes when you see them criticizing, in fact criticism is a form of concern. If not why would anyone spend time complaining or criticizing ?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you think Sam Leong and Neddy are totally detached from SG just because they are not in Singapore? People who are totally detached will no longer want to even talk about Singapore. So sometimes when you see them criticizing, in fact criticism is a form of concern. If not why would anyone spend time complaining or criticizing ?

Leongsam isn't in NZ, but in Toa Payoh.

peterpan777

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) He came to Singapore at age 11 yr and therefore is required to do NS even he had not taken citizenship.
4) In 1986, he took up citizenship to be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship which he received.

1. He can leave Singapore instead of do NS. He opted be part of Singapore.
4. Not quite sure why he need to take up citizenship to be eligible for Rhodes Scholarship. Since 1986 till now, definitely he capable to be citizen in many countries. But he remain as Singapore citizen. What do you think?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maslow's ?

maybe, since he's already at the top of his game

maslows-hierarchy.gif

jw5

Loyal
Pardon me but I think this is silly question. Why now? Must join at childhood or teenage? He was educated in Singapore in his formative years and served NS as army officer. That's good enough for me. He went abroad for studies and stayed abroad for work. That's reasonable enough for me. After academic and career accomplishments, he wishes to come back and be active in Singapore politics where he spent his formative years, that's reasonable for me. As to your why now question, if not now, then when? Until he's old like CST or LKY? Or when he's young but penniless without credentials?

You obviously didn't read my earlier posts, where I essentially said the same things you did.
The question "why now?" does not have to be contentious or argumentative, as in "why now and not ten years ago or ten years later?".
It's simply a question, of which the answer is not because he's a friend of Eric.
Same with "why opposition?". Asking this question doesn't mean I think he's a mole.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My OC was CPT Tan Hock Bee, the CO of OCS was a MAJ (unable to recall his name). I attended SATO for Reservist Infantry and Armour Officers.

If you were in Bravo Coy. Your CO was MAJ Teo Chee Bin who took over from LTC Jimmy Yap. Your freakin' Bravo company caused the rest of us much heartache at Heng Chun camp when one of your looney cadet mates chose to go AWOL on a rest day and the whole of 4th SMC spent half the fucking night looking for that arsehole.

I'm going to spare everyone the story of how another looney from your coy claimed to have chartered a 747 to fly all his honorable guests to his overseas wedding.