• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone still remember those old National Day songs?

KoalaJack

Alfrescian
Loyal
all these patriotism seemed to die a slow and sure death when we pulled out of the malaysia cup, thanx to the direction of non-football personnel. the CUP unify the entire country. all went downhill since then

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since I left SG in 1981, I know nothing about the songs you referred to.
I may remember the National Anthem and the anthem of the school I attended.

My daughter was asking me to search for "O Canada" the french version on youtube as her teacher was trying to teach them to sing the national anthem in french.

It got me remembering all the songs I learnt as a young student in Singapore.

Remember all those national day songs?

I found this website that has a compilation of all of them.

http://techielobang.com/blog/2010/08/09/singapore-national-songs-1969-to-2010-video-within/

From 1985 when "Stand up for Singapore" first came out, we had almost one solid national day song every year. 1986 was "Count on me Singapore". 1987 was my favourite "We are Singapore" I mean you could even sing the Singapore pledge! How cool was that?

And then there was kind of a lull. Till 1990 when we had "One People One Nation". But it was not as good as the previous 3.

And then for 7 years no new songs.

Then 1997 was Kit Chan's "Home". Interestingly it did not mention the name Singapore anywhere in the song. And when you read the opening stanza's lyrics, it seemed very much in line with Goh Chok Tong's plead for Singaporeans to come back to Singapore- their "Home". Maybe that's when his daughter migrated perhaps? And after that all those songs are ....."forgettable".....

But going back to those first 3 songs, "Stand up for Singapore", "Count on me Singapore" and "We are Singapore". I think those years 1985 to 1987 were the most patriotic years of my life. I don't know about whether other people of other ages felt the same way during those years, but that was a time when Singapore was doing well, we felt strong and together as a nation. Ministers salaries were not pegged to anything. There was no COE. There was no ERP. There was no MRT but we loved SBS. HDB flats were even affordable.

Look at the lyrics of "We are Singapore"

There was a time when people said
That Singapore won't make it, but we did
There was a time when troubles seemed too much
For us to take, but we did
We built a nation, strong and free, reaching out together
For peace and harmony

Chorus 1:
This is my country, this is my flag
This is my future, this is my life
This is my family, these are my friends
We are Singapore, Singaporeans

Singapore our homeland, it's here that we belong
All of us united, one people marching on
We've come so far together, our common destiny
Singapore forever, a nation strong and free

( Repeat Chorus 1 )

( Sung )
We the citizens of Singapore
Pledge ourselves as one united people
Regardless of race, language or religion
To build a democratic society
Based on justice and equality
So as to achieve happiness
Prosperity and progress for our nation

Chorus 2:
We are Singapore, we are Singapore
We will stand together, hear the lion roar
We are Singapore, we are Singapore
We're a nation strong and free forevermore

( Repeat Chorus 1 & 2 )

We are Singapore, Singaporeans ( X 2 )

Sad to say but over the years with the over focus on making money and more money, bringing in foreigners in droves, things have changed.

Remember "Count on Me Singapore".....the opening line was "We have a vision for tomorrow, just believe....well is Singapore what we had envisioned in 1986?

Here's the full lyrics

We have a vision for tomorrow, just believe, just believe
We have a goal for Singapore, we can achieve, we can achieve
You and me, we'll do our part, stand together, heart to heart
We're going to show the world what Singapore can be
We can achieve, we can achieve

There is something down the road that we can strive for
We are told no dream's too bold that we can't try for
There's a spirit in the air, it's a feeling we all share
We're going to build a better life, for you and me

Count on me Singapore, count on me to give my best and more
You and me, we'll do our part, stand together, heart to heart
We're going to show the world what Singapore can be

Chorus:
Count on me Singapore, Count on me Singapore
Count on me to give my best and more, count on me Singapore

Is life better now in 2011 than it was in 1986?

Honestly when I read these lyrics of the songs I sang so passionately at National Day celebrations in school all those years ago I feel sad. I really felt very proud to be Singaporean then.

When did it all go wrong? I'd say NS was when it started for me. All the nonsense we know of is best painted when you see how the SAF works. Guys will know what I mean.

And of course all this money money money approach to civil service in the 1990s everyone will understand.

The straw that breaks the camel's back is probably the foreign talent policy.

I think maybe that is why there is a focus on moving away from "Singaporeans" when it comes to National Day Parade. We have to be more "inclusive" and "welcome" the talented guests that we have.

Sad man.

Well it was good while it lasted. I will keep those good memories with me but I know Singapore will never be the way it was again.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I remember the "Count Money" song. Goes something like :

Count Money Singapore, Count on me to give my best and more......

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love tat 1990 ...with some b&w clip

One People One Nation One Singapore.

But alas.....those were the days before 1990...

Last edited: