• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why doesn't the opposition send someone to stand for the Presidential election???

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK let's be frank, the opposition party is unlikely to take over the government this time round. However the presidential election should be just around the corner. Nathan last elected 2005, 6 year term = should end this year. The opposition should start looking for someone to stand for that election. It is a perfectly winnable election, why doesn't the opposition send anyone there?

Sure the president is a largely ceremonial role with very little political couth but he is also in charge of our money. Having someone elected will confirm if the money is still there or not. Quite simply, if anything is wrong with the reserves, the president can find out and can use it to the opposition advantage during the next election

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the entry barrier for candidacy is higher no? Also, he must not be affilated with any political party (on paper) ...

moreover, candidates must be screened by some council - already all tok before nomination.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
the candidate must be vetted by LKY and gang.

in singapore I think less than 100 people eglible to contest. and among those eglible, most of them not interested except those appointed by the old bastard.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
ehh. dumb dog,

becos haven't start presidential election yet?

how u know they will not send any1? they told u? dumb dog just assuming. lol.

dun try to deflect GE issues ok.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ehh. dumb dog,

becos haven't start presidential election yet?

how u know they will not send any1? they told u? dumb dog just assuming. lol.

dun try to deflect GE issues ok.

You think what. Election tomorrow today go find one issit. Need time to find someone of this caliber. Just reminding pple that the presidential election is coming too. The GE if anything serves to make pple forget another important event. If they cannot win GE, they should also look at the other election

the entry barrier for candidacy is higher no? Also, he must not be affilated with any political party (on paper) ...

moreover, candidates must be screened by some council - already all tok before nomination.

The political party part very easy what. Just "quit" the party before that loh. OTC and Nathan both did that. And obviously the candidacy is higher, have to "take care" of hundreds of billions of dollars and represent the country as it's leader. Opposition can try and squeeze someone out mah.

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP dog, how you know oppostion did not start looking for potential prataman within their ranks already? they do everything must report to 'wu jian dao' like you is it? :oIo::oIo::oIo:

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
One step at a time. Learn how to walk before you run.

I will be happy if we have 1 GRCs and 5 single wards.

Thank you Opposition

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The opposition should start looking for someone to stand for that election. It is a perfectly winnable election, why doesn't the opposition send anyone there?

that wp rhodes scholar eligible? his name, mao what? mao zedong?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that wp rhodes scholar eligible? his name, mao what? mao zedong?

honestly if i am that good, i would rather be MP, why be a puppet? If i cannot be MP, might as well do my own things, away from public scrutiny and enjoy free speech.

but then, some may not mind being a 1-million dollar puppet.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
honestly if i am that good, i would rather be MP, why be a puppet? If i cannot be MP, might as well do my own things, away from public scrutiny and enjoy free speech.

but then, some may not mind being a 1-million dollar puppet.

Remember back in 09, ruling party wants to use reserve, Nathan didn't even think twice and just chop and sign the damn thing?

Opposition sending someone in can do
1)Make sure the money is still there and not just made up

2)Make sure they actually use the money properly

3)Remember they said they wanted to put the money back in, someone needs to check that too

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No one has yet mentioned that technically, the president's office is above politics. So, no party member (opposition or otherwise) can run for president. If it is a matter of supporting someone (be he/she an ex-party member or someone out of the blue) much remains to be seen. Who, after all, had heard of the late Chua Kim Yeow before he was propelled kicking and screaming into seeking the highest office?

So Mr Azn, assuming you are genuine in proposing this, be patient. Take some time to think of a replacement for your very tired reminder of some obscure legal events as a signature line.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remember back in 09, ruling party wants to use reserve, Nathan didn't even think twice and just chop and sign the damn thing?

Opposition sending someone in can do
1)Make sure the money is still there and not just made up

2)Make sure they actually use the money properly

3)Remember they said they wanted to put the money back in, someone needs to check that too
===
OTC tried taking the first step by asking how much...but was told it take a zillion years to derive the figure...pretty amazing isn't it.

well in any case, whoever opposition send, will not pass the vetting council. If you wanna do a change, please change the constitution first. Anyway, if i am not wrong, the new president shld be Abdullah ...i reckon u gonna wait another 5 years (provided he don't seek another term, making it 10 years)