• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ong Ye Kung quitting the service and could become PAP candidate

heartlander

Alfrescian
Loyal
Civil service high-flier may enter politics
Ong Ye Kung quitting the service and could become PAP candidate
By Li Xueying & Zakir Hussain

CIVIL service high-flier Ong Ye Kung is leaving the administrative service at the end of this week, a move that could pave the way for a possible entry into politics.

The 41-year-old had been seconded to the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) as an assistant secretary-general since December 2008. But from Monday, he will become its employee.

This means he will be free to join a political party and be fielded as an election candidate. Civil service rules bar officers from the administrative service from doing so.

Mr Ong confirmed to The Straits Times that he is quitting the service: 'Having worked on workers' issues for so long, it's timely to join NTUC to continue my work for workers.'

Asked if the move portends his entry to politics, he said: 'In terms of helping out at the grassroots, once I am no longer in the civil service, the door is open.'

He added that he 'happened to meet' Foreign Minister George Yeo, who helms Aljunied GRC, this week, and Mr Yeo 'asked if I want to accompany him around in his GRC'.

On whether he could be a People's Action Party candidate at the next general election, he replied: 'If it happens, it happens. I will look at whatever opportunities there are to enhance my ability to better help workers.'

Talk of Mr Ong's entering politics has been rife since he became the only non-politician to serve alongside five MPs in the NTUC's top leadership posts.

He was previously a principal private secretary to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong before becoming chief executive of the Workforce Development Agency at age 35, one of the youngest civil servants to helm a statutory board.

Former administrative service officers like Mr Khaw Boon Wan had, on entering politics, risen to become office-holders. Mr Khaw, the Health Minister, was once a principal private secretary to former prime minister Goh Chok Tong.

PAP leaders have said that candidates at the next general election, which must be held by February next year, are critical to forming the core for the next Cabinet. PM Lee revealed in November that over 240 potential candidates had been invited for 'tea' sessions - the first phase of the process to select new candidates. More than 40 were interviewed further.

Mr Ong's move aside, there have also been shifts involving others whom party and grassroots sources identified as potential candidates.

Another NTUC man, Mr Ang Hin Kee, chief executive of the e2i skills training institute, is now the PAP branch chairman of the Seletar-Cheng San ward in Ang Mo Kio GRC.

This post is almost always held by the PAP MP or candidate in the ward.

Of the current 84 branch chairmen, all are the serving MPs, except for Mr Sitoh Yih Pin and Mr Eric Low, who were the PAP's losing candidates in Potong Pasir and Hougang respectively.

Mr Ang, 46, was appointed soon after the death of Seletar-Cheng San MP S. Balaji in September last year. However, the post of branch chairman in Bukit Batok, the ward of the late Dr Ong Chit Chung who died in 2008, remains vacant.

As branch chairman, Mr Ang is in charge of preparing for elections as well as other party matters in the ward.

Asked if he will be a candidate there, he said: 'Only PM knows.'

There have also been changes at other branches.

Last month, DBS Bank senior vice-president Gan Thiam Poh, 48, moved from Potong Pasir - where he served as an activist for 15 years - to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, which is helmed by Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean.

Mr Gan said his move was 'an opportunity to gain more exposure and to understand the needs of a different estate'.

Similarly, KK Women's and Children's Hospital senior consultant Janil Puthucheary, 38, moved to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC from East Coast GRC last month. He now helps out at MP Charles Chong's Punggol Central ward.

'I was specifically told not to attach any significance to where I'm posted,' he said, adding when asked if he will be a candidate: 'Honestly, I have no idea.'

[email protected]

[email protected]

Areopagus

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.imd.org/programs/mba/whyimd/alumnistories/Ong-Ye-Kung.cfm
YE KUNG ONG
Singaporean, MBA 1999
CEO, Singapore Workforce Development Agency, Singapore

“In government we do not have sales revenues as businesses do; we have tax revenues. But there are just as many investment proposals to choose from. The finance modules at IMD taught me to look at government investments with a business eye: I still use the tools I learned in my MBA year to balance financial risks and returns.” Ye Kung Ong--chief executive of the Singapore WDA (Workforce Development Agency)--reflects on his IMD MBA, now six years ago.

“I was the only participant with a public service background; all my classmates had experience in businesses. The funny thing was however that I often found myself taking a pro-business and pro-market stance, while others opted for more government regulation and trade protection. It goes to show you should never stereotype people based on where they work!”

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
“I was the only participant with a public service background; all my classmates had experience in businesses. The funny thing was however that I often found myself taking a pro-business and pro-market stance, while others opted for more government regulation and trade protection. It goes to show you should never stereotype people based on where they work!”

It goes to show how un-business thinking he is. And how lost touch he is with the ground to think that the businessmen are the fuckers who are anti-business.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just love the tern "activist". Seems to be word of choice for every dog who thinks that he is serving the world.

It also tells you that thick skin are not that rare after all. Janil's dad is Dominic Puthucheary who was banished from Singapore and called all sorts of derogatory terms by the old man in his memoirs. This Malaysian is now a Singaporean and wants to become a PAP MP.

Last month, DBS Bank senior vice-president Gan Thiam Poh, 48, moved from Potong Pasir - where he served as an activist for 15 years - to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, which is helmed by Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean.

Mr Gan said his move was 'an opportunity to gain more exposure and to understand the needs of a different estate'.

Similarly, KK Women's and Children's Hospital senior consultant Janil Puthucheary, 38, moved to Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC from East Coast GRC last month. He now helps out at MP Charles Chong's Punggol Central ward.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not necessary. Tan Tee How, PS held that position of PPS in the past, was also a direct entry to Admin service after finishing his tertiary education. Although most of them are OMS.

There was rethink about relying on scholars entirely. The first experiment of relying on PHD failed with 3 PHD holders slated for Minister fell in heap.

PPS to PM is a scholar posting. Previous PPSs to PMs are PSs today. Ong is minimum OMS. May even be a President's scholar.

M

Mdm Tang

Looks NTUC is good breeding ground for politicians.

Confucius​

Confucius (Chinese: 孔子; pinyin: Kǒng zǐ; Wade–Giles: K'ung-tzu, or Chinese: 孔夫子; pinyin: Kǒng Fūzǐ; Wade–Giles: K'ung-fu-tzu), literally "Master Kong",[1] (traditionally 28 September 551 BC – 479 BC)[2] was a Chinese thinker and social philosopher of the Spring and Autumn Period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be CEO of a stat board at 35 is no mean feat. He doesn't even seem to be a scholar.

University of London undergrad, MBA from Insead, in Lausanne not a scholar, you are one naive schoolboy.

But I do notice the powers that be trying to downplay certain information fed to the SPH dogs. It seems even such feeble move I never expected to take off can actually fool some of the more ignorant types around.