• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Idiot Sinkie got lost in Alaska, laughing stock of the world

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
http://newsminer.com/bookmark/11291021

Singapore man was seeking adventure near bus on Stampede Trail
by Mary Beth Smetzer/[email protected] Fairbanks Daily News Miner
Feb 06, 2011 | 3463 views | 10 | | 8 | |
FAIRBANKS — Like many adventurous young men, Sin Mong Xing, 23, of Singapore, had a dream to travel to Alaska and test the wilderness on his own terms.

Xing’s interest in Alaska took hold when he was a teen, reading books and watching films about the north country.

One book in particular, “Into the Wild” by Jon Krakauer, and the film of the same name, intrigued Xing.

The book and movie detail the wanderings and eventual death by starvation of Christopher McCandless, a 23-year-old Virginia man. McCandless spent two years trekking across America before traveling to Alaska and perishing in the wilderness on the edge of Denali National Park.

“Initially, I idolized him,” said Xing in an interview Thursday, two days after he was rescued and guided out of the wilderness by a search party of Alaska State Troopers and Denali National Park rangers.

McCandless may have inspired Xing to call himself Alex and to travel thousands of miles from his island country of Singapore, but not long after arriving in Fairbanks on Dec. 1, Xing’s opinion of McCandless’s meager plan for surviving in the Bush quickly started changing.

After 10 months of saving for the journey, the full-time accountant and part-time student took a leave of absence from his job in Singapore and flew to San Francisco, arriving on Nov. 10.

For the next few weeks, Xing traveled via a Greyhound Discovery Pass visiting the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Flagstaff, Ariz., before heading to Seattle and continuing north by bus, stopping in Whitehorse, Yukon, and arriving in Fairbanks on Dec. 1.

Two months later, Xing said, “I had planned to hang around for a week.”

Xing lodged at Billie’s Backpackers Hostel off College Road, where he found a welcoming, temporary home with a stream of interesting people passing through — some experienced outdoorsmen from Alaska villages and the Bush.

“He sat there and he talked to everybody,” said Billie Cook, hostel proprietor.

A day hike quickly convinced Xing that he had a lot to learn about surviving in the subarctic.

“He didn’t do very well the first time,” Cook said. “He went out on a very cold day with one of the hostelers and he came right back with him.”

The experience did not change Xing’s intention to seek the place where McCandless died, a dilapidated bus in the wilderness near Healy off the Stampede Trail.

Instead, he set about preparing for the journey with the advice of the people he met at Billie’s.

A slight man weighing 110 pounds, Xing began a daily conditioning program, walking and running in bunny boots, learning how to build a fire and pitch a tent.

“I got very good at building a fire and I could pitch a tent in three minutes,” he said.

Xing accrued warm clothing and equipment, mostly secondhand, as well as stocking food.

He packed a waterproof Denali Park map and a compass that attached to his mittens.

The first month at Billie’s, Xing slept indoors, then he pitched his tent in the hostel’s yard and slept there to acclimate.

“I woke up every day smiling and realizing I’m living my dream, right here, right now,” he said.

Xing began to realize how disparate his and McCandless’ backgrounds were.

“I couldn’t help but compare myself with him when I was planning and setting up for the trip,” Xing said.

Unlike McCandless, who was born into an upper middle class home and had no money worries, Xing said he began working at a young age to help his mother pay for college. He served in the Singapore National Defense Force and became a sergeant.

“I wasn’t one of those pilgrims trying to find myself out here,” he said.

Xing said what he shares is McCandless’s final journal entry, “Happiness only real when shared.”

“It’s the only thing I agree with him, and I’ve tried to make it part of my moral code.”

Xing said he chose to hike the 26 miles to the bus in the winter because of the absence of mosquitos and the rivers would be frozen.

He was aware of the death of a Swiss woman last summer who drowned attempting to cross the Teklanika River en route to the bus.

Xing began his trek on Jan. 28. Like McCandless, he started south hitchhiking along the Parks Highway.

His third ride was from a man named Cyrus who drove him four miles up the Stampede Road.

“He was just like in the movie, saying ‘If you get into trouble, give me a call,’” Xing said.

Xing wouldn’t have been able to make that call. By his fifth day on the trail his cellphone was frozen.

At the Stampede trailhead, Xing started on foot, pulling his sled loaded with about 80 pounds of provisions.

Fortunately for the novice outdoorsman, temperatures in the area were warm for January averaging about 15 degrees.

Along the trail, Xing met four friendly snowmachiners hauling building supplies. They were concerned about him, Xing said, once they noticed his supply of food consisted primarily of calories but little protein.

“They gave me a bag of pigskins, cheese, ham, pepperoni and a chicken sandwich which was very good,” he recalled.

Xing thinks it was one of the travelers he met who became concerned about his welfare and notified Alaska State Troopers.

On the fifth day of his journey, he began to realize he was lost.

Xing thought he was four miles from the bus site, but he had walked past it a mile and half and found himself laboring in rugged terrain. That is where rescuers located him Tuesday afternoon.

Trooper spokesperson Beth Ipsen said the initial report received by troopers was that Xing was mentally erratic, possibly suicidal and armed.

The first two descriptions were wrong; rescuers found Xing in good mental condition. He was carrying a .380 auto pistol he bought from someone in Fairbanks, which he willingly turned over to an ATF agent.

Xing said he carried the firearm in the event he was charged by a moose or a bear awaking early from hibernation because of the warm temperature.

“I would’ve fired it into the air in an attempt to scare potential attackers away,” he said. “I have never got my hands dirty killing and never will.”

Ipsen said rescuers visited the bus site on snowmachines and not finding Xing there enlisted the aid of a park ranger aircraft.

“We would probably not have found Mr. Xing without the help of the aircraft because he stayed on hard-packed snow and wasn’t leaving a trail,” Ipsen said.

Once Xing was located, the rescue party went back to the bus to pick up stowed equipment.

Only then did Xing see the bus, which continues to draw inexperienced hikers, usually during summer.

“I was disappointed,” he said. “It was vandalized with broken windows and bullet holes.”

While looking at the bus, Xing said he felt sorry for McCandless’s death and his family.

With daylight waning, the rescue team whisked Xing back to Healy and treated him to a hamburger at the 49th State Brewery Company.

According to troopers, the trek to the bus is extremely hazardous for hikers and search and rescue teams who are called to help.

Ipsen said when Xing was found, he was a mile and a half from the bus and walking away from it. The troopers’ assessment was he wouldn’t have made it much longer.

“Our fear is that other people will attempt this same journey,” Ipsen said. “People don’t realize this is not a walk in the park. It’s the Alaska wilderness and people can get hurt or die. It’s potentially dangerous territory and people can quickly get in over their heads.”

In spite of his close call, Xing has fallen in love with Alaska and intends to come back some day.

Before going back to Singapore Friday, Xing said he wants to return, buy a small piece of land, build a cabin and raise his own food.

“I’ve seen the shortest day of the year. Next time around I want to see the longest day of the year,” he said.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - The voice of Interior Alaska since 1903

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont laugh at others.

The guy took his chance for adventure and that is what i consider as guts.

Can you do it?

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A Singaporean to be proud of. We should laud his bravery and sense of adventure instead of thumbing down his efforts. I am glad he came out unscathed and hope he will succeed in his future endeavours.

Dont laugh at others.

Can you do it?

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After reading, i actually liked his adventure and his attitude towards the end of it. A man who dared to follow his dreams. Kudos to him...

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. call him, pride, balls or bravery.
3. but alex should do more than what he had done for the trip.
4. honest, the cold and alaska are two things no one should take it lightly.
5. yes, he has fulfilled his dream and should move on.
6. buying something in alaska, that is damn funny!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a search and rescue operation is never cheap. normally in summer, it would cost above usd10k for anything involving park rangers and choppers. in winter, the cost goes up substantially with extreme weather. moreover, rangers, sheriffs, pilots and volunteers risk their lives looking for the moron. if there are more morons making their moronic trips more frequently or around the same time and get lost, there will be only that much (limited) resources to throw at a search and rescue operation. he should consider himself lucky that he was the only moron in that area and at that time. the county and park should ask him to pay for the rescue.

jw5

Loyal
He was brave for chasing his dream.
But I wouldn't have sympathised with him if he had got lost permanently.

There should be moore resources and sympathy for people who got into accidents while going to work or to the market or who died of illnesses, than those who got into accidents while on their way to rave parties or while on some adventure or who died during non-essential plastic surgery.

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least he saved for his own trip (read this from yester's new paper). unlike that malaysia PR khoo something that always beg for donations for his own ego trip.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Dont laugh at others.

Can you do it?

Of course I can do it. This clown was supposed to be a SGT in the "Singapore National defece Force", yet his topo is like shit, and he got lost. He was ill prepared, so ill prepared that the snowmobilers were afraid for his safety. Where was his compass, hand held GPS, etc. did not even know how to pack proper rations for the trip. And this is after how many monthsof preparation? If this is your standard for guts, than I regret to inform you that you are a vagina.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A Singaporean to be proud of. We should laud his bravery and sense of adventure instead of thumbing down his efforts. I am glad he came out unscathed and hope he will succeed in his future endeavours.

U mistake foolhardiness and stupidity for bravery and a sense of adventure. If I were you, I would read the article again to see how many mistakes he made along the way and how he almost died. If he had not been rescued, they would be recovering his frozen body in the summer.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
a search and rescue operation is never cheap. normally in summer, it would cost above usd10k for anything involving park rangers and choppers. in winter, the cost goes up substantially with extreme weather. moreover, rangers, sheriffs, pilots and volunteers risk their lives looking for the moron. if there are more morons making their moronic trips more frequently or around the same time and get lost, there will be only that much (limited) resources to throw at a search and rescue operation. he should consider himself lucky that he was the only moron in that area and at that time. the county and park should ask him to pay for the rescue.

Yes, well said, and yet there are his fellow idiots supporting him in this matter. LOL.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
After reading, i actually liked his adventure and his attitude towards the end of it. A man who dared to follow his dreams. Kudos to him...

That's all fine and dandy until his dream turned into a nightmare and strangers have to risk their life and effort to rescue him. Kudos my ass. No problem to pursue dream, but don't impact other people too.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He is far more likely to succeed in future than others about his age. No venture no gain. He is no follower. I am sure he went through many experiences money cannot purchase. Many lessons learnt from this venture of his will put him in good stead in future. Yes, we should salute his efforts, not run him down.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hindsight is always 20/20. Reading about what happened is very easy to point out where he went wrong. I can imagine that he must read a lot on what to and not to do, but the execution of it in real life would have been a lot harder than imagined.

At least he got balls to try, fail and still have the guts to do it again.

Better than 99.99% of the gutless Stinkies who would be scared shitless even by the sound of PAP dog's fart.

libsg

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy deserves a National Day Award. Singapore needs crazy people like him to push boundaries, not scaredy cats pushing pens behind desks in aircon room.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Better than 99.99% of the gutless Stinkies who would be scared shitless even by the sound of PAP dog's fart.

Some are worse - they fear even their own shadow when they have not committed anything criminal. Self fear rules!