• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Clear Sign of Bad Lion City Economy CNY No $ No Lion Dance

PAP_bleach

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are the CNY Lion Dances?

I don't see them I don't hear them on the street in the heartland during CNY! The is 3rd day of CNY, and I heard once in the morning of 1st day, none on 2nd day, I heard another just after dinner. This is only like 10% of what these activities used to be in the past.

Lion Dance is not FOC.

No $ = No Ang Pao = No Lion Dance.

The lions are staving in this Lion City.:(

Times are BAD while govt said EVERYTHING SO GOOD as their regular GE LIES.

:oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fewer recruits to the lion dance troupes. Frankly, parents don't even allow their children to play football; join lion dance troupes? Bluntly, fewer and fewer believe in this good fortune load of noise anymore. Truely, there's no native lion in China.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be happy that PAP didn't import PRC lion dance troupes.

There could have been a rise in gangsterism with them going door to door threatening you for Ang Pow.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be happy that PAP didn't import PRC lion dance troupes.

There could have been a rise in gangsterism with them going door to door threatening you for Ang Pow.

Look at it the other way - Economy very good last year - so lion associations are flushed with money so no need to come out and dance for money!

No drums and cymbals for Indian religion festivals, so no drums for Chinese lion dance??? Blessing - no loud noises to wake you up on Saturday and Sunday mornings!

Read that some Sporeans went over to Johore to light up fire crackers ! Is it legal?

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the first day of CNY, I got woken up by drums and cymbals opposite of my block across the street downstairs. The loud noise vibrated my bed and pillow.

It was a lion dance troupe.

Later that evening, I went out for dinner at Raffles City Shopping Mall, and inside was a lion dance troupe making a hell lot of outside Marketplace.

On the second day of CNY, I came across lion dance troupes as well again at my place...

Not sure where you're coming from... "less", perhaps. But "no"? Nope.

whorejinx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard only once the lion dance sounds from quite far away seems to be a pickup truck of theirs passing. Dragon dance is zero this year.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
lion dancing too loud...so cut down the noise like no drums for taipusum...fair and square lor....

lion dancing exactly very noisy...very jarring to the ears...damned painful....even your heart jumps with the beat!!!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no lion dance. no dragon dance. like this, this year of the rabbit will be a year of demons eating rabbits...so please be careful....the monster Nian will be around...no lions to eat them, no dragons to devour them...and no crackers to chase them away..

so the nasty monstrous NIAN will be with all of us...so pls be very careful.....

abeltcb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think is because of new law minister.No permit issue for lion dance.So what is chinese new year without lion dance.second afraid to offend new citizen (non chinese). scare they complain of noise.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read that some Sporeans went over to Johore to light up fire crackers ! Is it legal?

Yes, had a relative who drove to Malacca to visit friends and fire the crackers.
It is not legal but enforcement is laxed....when the poodles turned up (and they will turn up for sure), you give them ang pows and they will look the other way.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no fire crackers, no lny........and the monster nian continues to harass us....the day we ban fire crackers....we gone liao...........tiohboh?

jw5

Loyal
I can hear them right now as I am typing, belly loud. :o

Please try to find other evidence that the economy is not as good as claimed. Thanks. :biggrin:

PAP_bleach

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please try to find other evidence that the economy is not as good as claimed. Thanks. :biggrin:

Not saying that the traditional celebration had completely died. But greatly reduced. There is big lost of it.:(

botakboon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unless you are saying that you heard many of these through out CNY most people here sensed a reduction of Lion Dance including myself. Are you either saying it was no change or increased?

jw5

Loyal
Unless you are saying that you heard many of these through out CNY most people here sensed a reduction of Lion Dance including myself. Are you either saying it was no change or increased?
I was replying to the TS's question "Where are the CNY Lion Dances?"

No idea whether lion dances have increased, reduced or no change. I can't be everywhere all the time. It could very well have reduced.

What I'm saying is that if the purpose is to say that the economy is not as good as claimed (which I happen to agree), please find some concrete evidence and not just one isolated factor based on perception.

Fo all we know, lion dancers could have reduced because they didn't want to chase away the fortune rabbit. :rolleyes: