• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vancouver : The Status??

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey Charlie99,

Just curious but since we met in 2004 (or was it 2003?) how many times have you visited Singapore? Do you feel it has changed much? It would be interesting how I find Singapore when I make a visit maybe sometime in 2016.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was there in Nov 2007, and recently.
Singapore has changed significantly since my visit in Jan 2004.
Too crowded, and too many foreign workers, and if I asked an individual for directions to places, etc. too many of them either do not know, unable to answer or gave me the wrong directions.
I was at Raffles City, trying to find the Fairmont Hotel lobby to meet a SG friend for lunch, but one fellow gave me the wrong directions. Luckily, an attractive lady overheard it, and she chased after me (I was walking briskly), caught up with me to give me the right directions. While I was in a hurry to meet my friend, it did not dawn on me to ask the lady's name and phone number.
Are keeping well re: job, wife, children, satisfied?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Back in 2004, I was envisioning a Singapore today. I am very glad I chose my path.

Are we keeping well? I would say yes. The biggest beneficiaries are the kids. However it is not a bed of roses. You win some you lose some. I still have fears that my car will breakdown, or something will spoil and I have to get repairs done. Very expensive.

It cuts both ways of course. We can have a reasonable good living starting at entry level jobs because of the same "problem".

We've been here two years. I must say that I think people should take note of Singaporeans who "offer to help" here. Especially when they are in business or self employed (basically not working in a job). Caveat emptor. It depends on your outlook on life and how you are with regards to your money. I have seen quite a few cases where relationships sour over money. Much is promised but not delivered.

Life is a journey. But we all know where it ends.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree with you re: Singaporeans who "offer to help".
I believe the fellow who is emigrating to Toronto, has a friend in a suburb, who will let them live with his family, until he settles down and may be find suitable accomodation.
It is a journey, but a challenging and satisfying journey as an immigrant.
Take care.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
When we first arrived in Vancouver, we were helped by Singaporeans who were total strangers to us.

So in the same way, I am trying to help newcomers and pass it on.

I guess there will be people who take advantage of others. So far, it's been a fairly good experience for us in that area.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When we first arrived in Vancouver, we were helped by Singaporeans who were total strangers to us.

So in the same way, I am trying to help newcomers and pass it on.

I guess there will be people who take advantage of others. So far, it's been a fairly good experience for us in that area.

That is the spirit.
New Canadians will become good old Canadians.
When I arrived in Toronto more than 30 years ago, I did not know any individual, and someone from U of T arranged rented accomodation for me, went to the airport that rainy September day to pick me up.
The family who I stayed with, was very helpful, and even lent me their down parka that winter, because I was supposed to be in Toronto for one year.
I believe that we older immigrants should try to help the newer immigrants.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
That is the spirit.
New Canadians will become good old Canadians.
When I arrived in Toronto more than 30 years ago, I did not know any individual, and someone from U of T arranged rented accomodation for me, went to the airport that rainy September day to pick me up.
The family who I stayed with, was very helpful, and even lent me their down parka that winter, because I was supposed to be in Toronto for one year.
I believe that we older immigrants should try to help the newer immigrants.

My heart agrees with you. But the reality is that the Singaporeans of today are not the same as the ones 30 years ago.

Those that want help may ask for too much. Those that help might have ulterior motives.

The sweeter the talk the more wary you have to be.

Beaver

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess if one has been taken advantage of, then they will be less trusting in the future.

I like the Chinese saying that at home you depend on family, outside the home you depend on friends. Of course, that doesn't mean that I will just give my life savings to someone I just met with the promise that he will help me.

On the whole, I have personally found the Singaporeans I've met to be willing to help without asking for anything in return.

There are some Singaporean "traits" that still irk me though, like:
- asking me where I used to live in Singapore.
- asking me where I live now.
- asking me whether the place I live in is rented or bought.

Still that "competitive" nature...

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess if one has been taken advantage of, then they will be less trusting in the future.

I like the Chinese saying that at home you depend on family, outside the home you depend on friends. Of course, that doesn't mean that I will just give my life savings to someone I just met with the promise that he will help me.

On the whole, I have personally found the Singaporeans I've met to be willing to help without asking for anything in return.

There are some Singaporean "traits" that still irk me though, like:
- asking me where I used to live in Singapore.
- asking me where I live now.
- asking me whether the place I live in is rented or bought.

Still that "competitive" nature...

I agree, I too had a good experience receiving help from someone I never met. There has to be a balance, the new arrivee must not expect to be spoon-fed and be able to do some things on his own, experience some landing pains, yet be able to rely on a helping hand when needed.

This kind of questions when asked in Singapore most likely is to compare and see who up or see who down. After all Singapore quantifies and rank everything. I would like to imagine that when asked the same question when both parties are in Canada, it could be they're trying to make a connection and find common experiences to talk about? Anyway what's there to compare when the land is so huge and there's something to fit every budget and lifestyle and its all about personal choices?

Personally I myself tend not to ask too much personal questions unless the info is volunteered, then I reciprocate. Its how the Canadians do it, they respect other people's privacy, and at the same time they talk a lot and reveal all sorts of details about themselves. Its better than just discussing the weather.

Dole43

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to add to the concerns about Singaporeans offering to help, there are some strategies to adopt to protect yourself, especially for those traveling with young family, or the new arrivals who hasn't been here earlier to scout out the place or to set up their bank accounts. This work both ways, for the helper if they also have family too, as both parties are equally vulnerable to be targeted by scammers pretending to offer or seek help.

In no particular order of importance:

#1. Do not exchange family photos online, especially not pictures of your kids. Both sides won't want their kids ending up somewhere in the golden triangle never to be seen again forever. On the other hand, no need to be so totally anonymous that you don't even exchange email or phone number. Phone number is needed later when arranging to meet up.

#2. It is not necessary to arrange to meet at the airport. The newly arrived family is easy to spot, they look disoriented, lost, tired, they push multiple carts with their life belongings, and most importantly, they are probably carrying all their heirlooms and valuables and weeks worth of cash. It can be safely assumed that they won't have any local credit cards issued yet, or bank accounts opened to deposit their bank drafts, which takes a month to clear. You don't want you and your family to be picked up, split up into 2 cars, and driven to unknown places to be robbed or chopped. From the helper's angle, you also don't want to reveal your address and bring an unknown group of people into your home, if things don't work out, they will always know where you live.

#3. Spend at least your first night in a hotel, the first thing you want is a safe and neutral place to crash privately and sleep out your jet lag in peace without having to keep an eye on your belongings or worry for your kids. Make use of the hotel's shuttle bus service to fetch you from the airport to your hotel. The shuttle bus can take lots of baggage, you and your family are not traveling alone, there are other travelers booked into your hotel too. Act cool like you're tourists in any other big city, not newly arrived immigrants. If you have kids, the hotel has the added advantage of making the landing seem like one of your usual family vacations to Tokyo or London or where ever, the process of airport to hotel is familiar and takes the shock off the landing. There is also the convenience of soap, towel, warm bath ready without having to unpack, no stranger's house rules to learn, no introductions or small talk to make, no awkwardness or feelings of obligation, and best of all, the hotel has breakfast ready in the morning.

#4. Arrange to meet your helper the next morning at the hotel lobby. Just the guy will do, no need to drag the whole family down to the lobby. The hotel lobby is a safe and neutral location. There is no need for either you or the helper to describe you're the guys in the grey polo shirt and blue jeans. Both you and your helper are Singaporean, you will know each other instantly on sight, and confirm it when you both open your mouths. If you sense a scam, return to your hotel room, or your car and call the meetup off.

#5. Introductions having made, its then up to you to assess helper and helpee that both are genuine, sincere and trustworthy. Then you can go to the hotel room to introduce the whole family. Chances are you all will then go for a ride in the helper's car, to go look for food, groceries, or for a rental car, or another cheaper hotel for the next days if that is the case. At this stage, you're now friends more or less and not strangers anymore.

#6. There is no need to rush to buy your house without knowing where your eventual workplace will be. Consider renting first and commute, then look for a house in the city of your workplace. If your helper has no problem with his housing agent, you can consider using the same agent to represent you in your house hunt rather than use the seller's agent. Do not be too much in a hurry to buy a house in order to save on rent, it could turn out to be an expensive mistake at the worst case, or an unsatisfying house in the best case. It is easy and free to buy, but harder and expensive to sell. Deal with the agent, he's a 3rd party, so helper and helpee are at arms length to avoid future misunderstanding. If you make a mistake with the rental house, that mistake is temporary and will be corrected when your lease expire.

#7. Needless to say, do no not reveal arrival flight numbers, car license plate, hotel room number, home address, credit card numbers, personal IDs. Some things can be known later like car number or address when you visit each other. But at least for the initial meetup, both helper and helpee don't want to be scoped out by unscrupulous invisible scammers while they are trying to help.

I know, some of the above sounds like coming out of a Frederick Forsyth plot, but better be safe than sorry. If precautions are taken, it is alright to offer help and to receive help, the overseas Singaporean community is near non-existent unlike other communities, so every little effort helps.

Last edited:

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My heart agrees with you. But the reality is that the Singaporeans of today are not the same as the ones 30 years ago.

Those that want help may ask for too much. Those that help might have ulterior motives.

The sweeter the talk the more wary you have to be.

I still haven't give up hope on helping fellow singaporeans over here, even thought i have very bad experience, my wife is very pissed.

Help him get a job on contract basis with the bank my wife work in, pay around 29 dollars per hour, he work there for 6 months monthly bill he charge the company are around 7 to 9kmonthly,on contract there are no benefit he know nothing not even excel program offer him a full time job, he turn around and say he prefer contract and want 10k per month what a jerk, when he was let go he apply for UI and told UI that the company did not give him benefit, my wife was the 1 who hire him...look bad on her.

When he came over he had a fight with his son, broke his arm, i drive him to the hospital a few time pay parking and buying coffe for him, we never ask for anything in return, just want to help his family to settle down, his wife and children are ok they feel ashame of what he did.

We help other because we wanted too, it is what he did by complaining to UI that the company did not offer him any benefit that piss me off, will have to be more careful who we help........ :smile::smile::smile:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We help other because we wanted too, it is what he did by complaining to UI that the company did not offer him any benefit that piss me off, will have to be more careful who we help........ :smile::smile::smile:

I am very selective in helping sinkees ...lots of them still have the me-first mentality when they first arrive. They don't know how to appreciate help and expect to be spoon-fed.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Glad that I have helped in some small way and thing are working out for you somewhat.

You will get to become a doctor again. Hang in there. Look at the provinces that need doctors after you complete your licensing exam to get residency. Ontario has increased the number of residency spots for IMG.