• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's hidden history

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Phui Yen, or The Pink Panther as he was known to everyone, was a legendary undercover officer. Together with his partner AngMoKia (William Porter), they penetrated heroin traffficking rings and brought numerous traffickers to justice by posing as drug buyers. Pink Panther had the face of a crook, and it was simply impossible not to sell drugs to him if you were a drug trafficker.

Somewhere along the line, the Pink Panther lost his sense of direction. Right and wrong became blurred to him. He joined a syndicate of shop lifters and terrorised all the shopping centres. Each time they hit, they would get away with thousands. He was caught and was jailed. On his release, he became a human trafficker... a "snakehead" who smuggled illegal immigrants to the West. Poor guy, I wonder what he is doing now.....

How many donkey years ago was that?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very impressed bro. You are right, truly a legend. Sad that he went the other way. Thanks, not aware that he became a snakehead.

Lee Phui Yen, or The Pink Panther as he was known to everyone, was a legendary undercover officer. Together with his partner AngMoKia (William Porter), they penetrated heroin traffficking rings and brought numerous traffickers to justice by posing as drug buyers. Pink Panther had the face of a crook, and it was simply impossible not to sell drugs to him if you were a drug trafficker.

Somewhere along the line, the Pink Panther lost his sense of direction. Right and wrong became blurred to him. He joined a syndicate of shop lifters and terrorised all the shopping centres. Each time they hit, they would get away with thousands. He was caught and was jailed. On his release, he became a human trafficker... a "snakehead" who smuggled illegal immigrants to the West. Poor guy, I wonder what he is doing now.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are right. The mother was seems to be central to this. Even when William and the wife gets into trouble, the mum will be in the centre of things. The kids were used to carry contraband.
I am pretty sure the driving force was the mother as the father seemed to be a very quiet fellow. He was the High Court Registrar I think and obviously rubs shoulders with the top legal minds of that time. Even he could not save his son from the gallows.

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hidden History: the missing lions of Merdeka Bridge

merdeka.preview.jpg

These lions once graced Merdeka Bridge...... you can't miss it if you cross the bridge. Today our kids do not even know we have a Merdeka Bridge. And the lions still stand guard......but not at the Bridge..... Our kids still see them.....if they are observant ! :wink:

merdekalions.jpg

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hidden History - The attempted murder of Mona Koh

ST_16175279.jpg

ON OCT 15 in 1994, at 7.30'pm, on her way to her hairdresser's at the Katong People's Complex (now known as Katong Mall), Singapore's top nightclub mamasan Mona Koh was shot twice by an unknown gunman at the ground floor lift lobby. One bullet hit her face, another her back. A police detective was NEAR the scene of the shooting, but even then the gunman was never caught.....

Mona was to spent six months in hospitals, first in the Singapore General Hospital, then Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

The bullet in her face was removed, but not the one lodged in her spine. She was reduced to be wheelchair-bound.

The gunman could have been a hired hitman, and till today, she maintains that she does not know who wanted her out of the way so badly.

""People say I know who it was, but I really don't know. Sometimes, I wish the answer would come to me in a dream. But I certainly would like to know who did it before I die.''

In spite of the fact that top police officers, businessmen and even politicians were her close friends, no one could help her find the answer.....

CAN YOU? :p

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hidden History - The attempted murder of Mona Koh

ST_16175279.jpg

ON OCT 15 in 1994, at 7.30'pm, on her way to her hairdresser's at the Katong People's Complex (now known as Katong Mall), Singapore's top nightclub mamasan Mona Koh was shot twice by an unknown gunman at the ground floor lift lobby. One bullet hit her face, another her back. A police detective was NEAR the scene of the shooting, but even then the gunman was never caught.....

Mona was to spent six months in hospitals, first in the Singapore General Hospital, then Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

The bullet in her face was removed, but not the one lodged in her spine. She was reduced to be wheelchair-bound.

The gunman could have been a hired hitman, and till today, she maintains that she does not know who wanted her out of the way so badly.

""People say I know who it was, but I really don't know. Sometimes, I wish the answer would come to me in a dream. But I certainly would like to know who did it before I die.''

In spite of the fact that top police officers, businessmen and even politicians were her close friends, no one could help her find the answer.....

CAN YOU? :p

Mona had a loyal Indon customer at Lido. Out of greed, she enticed this Indon to the cruise ships to gamble. Mona collaborated with a syndicate to cheat this Indon lots of $$$.

Mona certainly knows who ordered the hit and considers herself lucky to be alive not dead.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Somewhere along the line, the Pink Panther lost his sense of direction. Right and wrong became blurred to him. He joined a syndicate of shop lifters and terrorised all the shopping centres. Each time they hit, they would get away with thousands.

Wow. I was first told about the Pink panther syndicate by my supermarket ops clients. Apparently they knew the workings of the retail system very well and always hit on the same type of goods on several locations in a single day. And we're talking about brazen high volume hits. By the time the cops faxed the alerts out it would already be too late. Damn professional.

I was also under the impression this guy got his name because he liked to wear pink when pulling off jobs. That's his signature.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike the Man from UNCLE, the Saint was actually written by a Singapore boy...

1154-1.jpg

Leslie Charteris (12 May 1907, born Singapore– 15 April 1993), born Leslie Charles Bowyer-Yin, was a half-Chinese, half English author of primarily mystery fiction, as well as a screenwriter. He was from St Andrew's school, I think.....

Roger Moore played the Saint for many years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFaIhXEt6hg&feature=related

His half bro, a canon in the local Anglican church just passed away a couple of weeks ago in Spore...

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought Victor graduated and worked for Shell as a Chemical Engineer? Apart from Juliet the youngest was Jeanette but she was like 12 years younger than William? She hardly knew Sunny as he was hanged when she was so young?

William was divorced from his first wife I believe, and was operating a shop near Change Alley. Yes, it was a sad state of affairs for the Ang family as most of them were very intelligent.

Victor did work for Shell in Singapore but left to start up one of the first MLM outfits here known as Holiday Magic which initially made big bucks for him....he was a smooth operator and great talker too!

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harry Lee, Thanks for bringing old memories. Back in the 60s, there was a murder case. So called two friends, But i can only recalled the dead man was murdered by his good friend, Not sure of the name, maybe Frankie or something like Sean who was finally hanged. Check the internet, I had found nothing. Maybe it was covered up. It was a long court case. Do you know about it.

I believe you are referring to the murder of one Frankie Tan ( or Lim ) who was put through his university education by his Thai wife who was not well educated, graduated then worked in DBS and later Amex Bank. He abandoned his wife and fooled around with some bar girls, wife got angry and hired two Thai thugs to kill him at his Laguna HUDC flat. She and both the killers were later caught and hanged

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the confirmation. Victor was the smartest one of all the siblings and was the odd one out, seldom around during family get-togethers. Takes more after the father apparently, being the quiet one.

Victor did work for Shell in Singapore but left to start up one of the first MLM outfits here known as Holiday Magic which initially made big bucks for him....he was a smooth operator and great talker too!

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the confirmation. Victor was the smartest one of all the siblings and was the odd one out, seldom around during family get-togethers. Takes more after the father apparently, being the quiet one.

Yes he received a scholarship from Shell and if my memory serves me right, read chemical engineering at Imperial College, London.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rather sad, isnt it? These are icons deserving of preservation. Where are they now? I remember seeing them but I can't recall because they must be at some ignominious spot.

These lions once graced Merdeka Bridge...... you can't miss it if you cross the bridge. Today our kids do not even know we have a Merdeka Bridge. And the lions still stand guard......but not at the Bridge..... Our kids still see them.....if they are observant ! :wink:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This brings back scary memories. I lived near to the crime scene and was actually quite close by when the crime was committed. For a few days I wasn't allowed out of the house other than to go to school. My parents still had memories of the Konfrontasi which had ended not too long before.

I recall news reports saying she was shot by a .22 calibre weapon - it did not say if it was a rifle round (with a higher powder load) or a pistol type round. In fact, I do not know of any high powered .22 rifle. The closest to that calibre is of course the NATO 5.56.

Hidden History : Girl shot thru heart in Queenstown 1972

Queenstown, 18 September, 1972 - A 22-year old seamstress by the name of Cheng Li Zhen (曾丽珍) was walking with her 19-year old sister Li Bao (丽宝) near Tanglin Halt when she suddenly screamed and collapsed. Blood oozed from her chest. It was only after she was sent to the Outram Road General Hospital that they discovered she had been shot. She died from her wound without regaining consciousness.

X-rays showed that the bullet entered from her upper left chest and hit her heart. Police suspected that the shooter was a sniper hiding in one of the high-rise buildings. There were no witnesses and her sister did not see any anyone with a gun.

The case remains unsolved.....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Who would want to waste a bullet on this poor girl ?

[]

The sniper was an incredible shot. There was no empty cartridge casing recovered, a real professional job. The so call high rise building was actually the older Queenstown HDB blocks, long since demolished. Given that she was a moving target, and the range was several hundred metres, no evidence at the scenes, ability to make a clean get away, etc. indicated it was a high calibre marksman/assasin. The rumour was that she was randomly selected to send Old Goat a message. i.e. we can get you in your motorcade anytime we want. Message sender reputed to be the indons.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Balestier Rd Food Court?

SAFTI MI Parade Square?

merdekalions.jpg

Harry Lee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hidden History - 1984-Muthu was chopped up and cooked as curry

spicy_chicken_masala_recipe.JPG

Muthu in the Curry :biggrin:

orchard-road-presbyterian-church-01.jpg

Muthu chopped up in the Church kitchen :eek:

Mr Ayakannu Marithamuthu was murdered on 12 December 1984 at the Orchard Road Presbyterian Church and his body cooked in curry before being disposed of. The case became popularly known as the "Curry Murder".

An unrepentant wife-beater, Ayakannu was a father of three who worked as a live-in caretaker of holiday chalets in Changi. His wife Naragatha worked at the Orchard Road Presbyterian Church.

On the day of the murder, Ayakannu was repeatedly bludgeoned to death. To destroy all traces of evidence, his body was chopped up into pieces. The body parts were then cooked into curry and disposed all over the island.

Investigations revealed that the victim was chopped and then cooked in a large aluminium pot.

Naragatha and her 3 brothers were charged in 1987 with murder. However, as there was insufficient evidence against them, they were acquitted. The brothers were re-arrested on the same day and detained without trial under the Criminal Law Act. They were released in June 1991.

Apart from what investigations revealed, the prosecution was unable to prove that it was indeed the family members who caused Ayakannu's death. The cooking pot in which Ayakannu's body parts were allegedly cooked could not be found, leaving no traces of the cooking or Muthu in the curry....

9.1285536088.fish-head-curry-singapore.jpg

Personally, I think the Civil service Demsey Road curry is better than Muthu's at Race Course Road. :smile:.

The Best curry was"OUR MARKAN SHOP", but they seemed to have closed /moved? Can anyone tell me where I can find them? I need my curry fix badly......

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Personally, I think the Civil service Demsey Road curry is better than Muthu's at Race Course Road. :smile:.

The Best curry was"OUR MARKAN SHOP", but they seemed to have closed /moved? Can anyone tell me where I can find them? I need my curry fix badly......

You want the best curry in town? Forget about Muthu's or the one at Dempsey Rd. "Our Markan Shop" never heard of leh.

If you can afford, and the place and ambience is world class, try the curry at the Istana. One look at the chef, you sure impressed. But be prepared to pay. It doesn't come cheap. Costs alot more if husband of chef dine with you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is an usual case for a number of reasons. There was not a single witness. All incriminating evidence came from the Brothers. The Brothers actually gave a true account of the incident in their statements. They murdered the guy as he was beating up the sister. In fact the info that led to the arrest came from the one of the brothers.

The Church had been renovated and there was zilch. It would have been hilarious if the case went to court as the entire prosecution witnesses were the accused themselves. No first officer at the scene, no pathologist as no no body was found and therefore no autopsy, no nothing. In fact, it was believed that the brothers were prepared to give an actual account. Something a state will never do.

The absence of a body is not an issue as the Sunny Ang case established.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too liked the curry that was done by Our Makan shop. It was the one and only curry that was done by a non indian and was better than the Indian version. The fish was fresh and the spices blended well.