• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Israeli just love to Kaypoh at Meet-the-People session

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
The very best type of kaypoh

WITH his towering height of two metres and curly blonde hair, it is hard not to notice Dr Ori Sasson, 39.

And he stands out even more when he turns up at what seems like the most unexpected place: a Meet-the-People session in Pasir Ris West.

For the past three years, the new citizen, who is originally from Israel, has been volunteering at the weekly Meet-the-People session.

Speaking with a slight Singlish accent and often using colloquial expressions such as 'aiyah' and 'paiseh' in conversation, he talks to residents and helps them draft letters to their MP.

He has handled all kinds of requests, from appealing for traffic summonses to be waived to getting approval for HDB home loans.

Dr Sasson, who owns an IT firm and is also the director of a children's therapy centre, moved here with his Israeli wife in 2002.

He said a stable government where 'the interest of the state is taken care of', a low crime rate and economic opportunities count as reasons why he chose to make his home here.

He took up permanent residency in 2004 and became a Singapore citizen three years ago. He has a three-year-old son and a four-month-old baby boy.

He said his desire to find out about the 'different sides of life in Singapore' and 'create social connections' led him to start volunteering.

As a councillor with the North East Community Development Council, he helps to plan job fairs and activities aimed at helping the needy.

On top of that, he is vice-chairman of the People's Action Party's policy forum, a platform that allows rank-and-file members to engage government leaders on policy issues.

To be able to help residents, he had to familiarise himself with how things worked in Singapore, from the various assistance schemes to housing schemes.

'It probably took me about three months to reach a level where I can confidently sit in front of a resident and help write a letter on his or her behalf,' he said.

Although residents were at first often shy about approaching him because of the language barrier - he speaks just a bit of Hokkien, Mandarin and Malay - Dr Sasson said they warmed up to him after a while.

'If I've helped them before, sometimes they come back and ask for the same person again,' he said.

Dr Sasson acknowledges that some foreigners may be apathetic to being involved in the local community, especially because they are busy with their daily lives.

'For me, it was curiosity and being kaypoh.'

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
What constitutes a kay poh ?

He is a citizen now and willingly volunteered some of his time to help others unlike us posting nonsense on this forum. We are the real kay pohs, in fact.:o

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The other day I met him and I ask him which block he stay and then I know which unit is yours. He asked how will I know ?

I said all I need to do is see who hangs out their toilet paper to dry ....:eek:

He :mad::mad:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He should be in the promised land and not sinkieland

SIngapore is the promised land to many, but a land of a million promises to the real SINgapore citizens, that is why many are leaving.

To the Ah neh, the Bangla, the pinoy , the ah tiong the etc...SINGAPORE is a PROMISE LAND.....LAND OF MILK & HONEY!:biggrin: