• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why the iPad will take over the world

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the iPad will take over the world
The iPad is a disruptive innovation.
By Edmund Conway Retail and consumer Last updated: November 12th, 2010

Apple is on the verge of releasing the latest iteration in its operating system for the iPhone and iPad.

Sometime in the coming months, it is also likely to bring out a newly beefed up version of the iPad. These may not seem like particularly momentous moments to anyone but the more die-hard Apple evangelists, but for me they have underlined the fact that this little tablet is heading for domination of the mobile computing industry.

Before you dismiss this as hype, I should emphasise that this conclusion has come only after some months of reflection, consideration and intense usage of an iPad, and comparison with its competitors. I was one of those fools who bought an iPad right at the beginning, when they were just out in the US and were yet to touch down in Britain. I picked it up in Washington, where I was attending the IMF’s summit, more out of hope and curiosity than an expectation that it would change my life. And the truth is I was initially rather disappointed.

I bought it wondering whether it would be the tool that meant I could throw away my laptop. And so I tried, over the following days, to use it as a journalistic tool – I tried to write articles on it (using the bluetooth keyboard – typing on the screen isn’t bad, but it isn’t brilliant), take notes with it, use it to read the IMF reports and send emails back home. It was an unmitigated disaster. I lost some of my most important notes because one of the applications kept crashing (this is not good news when you’re a journalist – and fellow hacks are, understandably, reluctant to share notes at the best of times); cutting and pasting text (quite important when you routinely have to edit and re-edit your articles) was fiddly; there wasn’t a word count in Pages, the main word processing application; you couldn’t switch between different applications (multi-tasking); you couldn’t search with PDF files (disastrous if you are trying to navigate a 300 page report on banking regulation), etc etc.

I never wrote this at the time (far too much going on with elections, expenses and whatnot), but my abiding feeling was that I had bought the iPad hoping to dispel all those people who said they couldn’t see the point of it – and I had come out agreeing with them. What was the point of this device? Not good enough to double as a laptop, not small enough to fit in your pocket, not easy-on-the-eye to read for long periods in the same way as a Kindle. Jack of all trades and master of none – or so I thought.

What I hadn’t realised was that this is pretty much the point. The iPad is a disruptive innovation.

Disruption, for those of you who, like me until recently, aren’t familiar with business theory, is one of the ways companies upend their bigger and older competitors in business these days. The gist is as follows: when a business comes along with an innovative product that challenges an existing one, it is often cheaper, of lower quality and is often deemed “not good enough” by potential customers.

Think of mp3s – their sound quality is far inferior to CDs, but customers realised pretty soon that they were both cheaper, more convenient and of a just about satisfactory quality. When personal computers first arrived, those who built powerful mainframe room-sized computers dismissed them as incapable – and indeed they were often so slow that they couldn’t keep up with the people typing into them. But the point behind disruption is that in due course the quality of the product gets to a standard that is acceptable to consumers (and if not better than the incumbent product, it is at least cheaper). Right now, flash memory is disrupting hard disks. And so on.

The graph below tells the story: sustaining technologies, such as hard disks, or dedicated digital cameras, improve over time, but eventually reach a standard beyond what most consumers, and perhaps even high end users are after. Into the market comes the disrupting technology, for instance flash memory or cameraphones, whose qualities (be they size or picture quality) are initially well below the standards of the sustaining technology but are compensated by their cheaper price or added convenience. Sometimes a whole new range of customers enters the market at this lower price/quality point. Eventually the quality of the disrupting product can surpass the old sustaining one.
susdir2

The iPad is disruptive to notebook computers: in its first iterations it doesn’t meet the exacting standards that many computer users have, so it is not an obvious replacement. It wasn’t good enough for me as a journalist; or indeed for anyone who wants to use their laptop for photo manipulation, DJing, game playing and so on. But it is good enough for many others.

It is good enough for students, for instance. Since returning to college, I have found myself using the iPad more and more. It is smaller than the laptop, I can use it to read as well as take notes and write. It still isn’t brilliant for article editing, but it more or less does the job (and given I don’t have to pump out articles at the rate I did as a professional journalist, so be it). I produced this blog (and indeed have written almost all of my recent blogs, papers, essays and all the stuff one needs to produce at college) on it. A couple of weeks ago my laptop spontaneously combusted. It didn’t matter, because by then I hadn’t been using it for some months anyway.

The imminent update to the iOS takes the iPad one step forward. In comes multitasking, in comes midi support and a host of other upgrades that, gradually, remove more demanding customers’ resistance to shifting down the iPad. Then along will come the next iteration, with higher resolution and more power, making it less attractive, in comparison, to own a laptop, and so on and so on.

It isn’t just the iPad that’s doing the disruption; it looks increasingly as if Apple’s existing operating system, Mac OS, will soon be disrupted by its mobile OS, which has been inserted as a kind of trojan horse into the next update of Mac OS.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rubbish lah. If he is talking about tablets, maybe so. With the launch of Samsung Galaxy Tab and other devices, why would the iPad dominate the next generation of devices? Just another Idiot talking out of his iArse

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still dun understand what is this fascination with the Ipad. It is cumbersome to carry around and doesn't serve any different purpose from what your normal notebook does.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I still dun understand what is this fascination with the Ipad. It is cumbersome to carry around and doesn't serve any different purpose from what your normal notebook does.

Well, I must say Ipad is more portable than notebooks. Best is the battery life is about 10 hours. Also, the appls for ipad are good. Normal notebook and netbook cannot compare.

However, ipad typing is a problem, if you do not have the ipad external keyboard.

I would say tablet PC cannot replace notebooks at this point in time. In future, not sure. Most likely not.

:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. iPad serves a very different purpose from a laptop or pc. It's a boon for those who are mobile or are frequent travelers. The purpose built apps are telling. Until you use it you would not realize how different it operates from a Mac or pc.

Best is to wait for the next version as they forgot couple of things such as multi tasking, front facing camera for skye, file management etc.

Well, I must say Ipad is more portable than notebooks. Best is the battery life is about 10 hours. Also, the appls for ipad are good. Normal notebook and netbook cannot compare.

However, ipad typing is a problem, if you do not have the ipad external keyboard.

I would say tablet PC cannot replace notebooks at this point in time. In future, not sure. Most likely not.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
IPad Sales May Miss Estimates as Customers Trim Spending
By Amy Thomson - Nov 12, 2010 Apple Inc.’s iPad and other tablets may not sell as well as analysts had estimated as customers cut back spending on new technology or opt for new smartphones and laptops instead, according to Rodman & Renshaw LLC.

Apple, which sold 4.19 million iPads last quarter, may have trouble hitting some analysts’ estimates of 6 million sold in the fourth quarter, said analyst Ashok Kumar, who predicts Cupertino, California-based Apple may sell as few as 5 million of the touch-screen tablets.

Tablet computers, which let customers watch videos and read digital magazines and books, are still a “tweener” niche with limited capabilities that might prevent consumers from adopting the technology as quickly as some industry analysts had forecast, Kumar said. Samsung Electronics Co. is cutting its planned production by about 50 percent for the Galaxy after poor sales, he said, citing discussions with suppliers.

“It’s a nice-to-have product, for those of us who don’t have a budget, but is it a must-have product? I don’t think so,” said New York-based Kumar, who rates the shares “market outperform” and doesn’t own any.

Apple has allowed other retailers, including Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc., to sell the device in the U.S. as it looks for ways to increase sales. The company had captured 95 percent of the global tablet market in the third quarter, according to researcher Strategy Analytics.

Tablet Market

A number of handset makers are betting on growth in the tablet market. Sales of the devices will almost triple worldwide to 54.8 million units next year as they invade the markets for netbooks, e-readers, gaming devices and media players, researcher Gartner Inc. said in a report last month.

Research In Motion Ltd., which makes the BlackBerry line of smartphones, will release a tablet for less than $500 in North America in the first quarter to compete with the iPad. Dell Inc. has released its Streak tablet with a five-inch screen. Motorola Inc. is also planning a tablet release early next year, co-Chief Executive Officer Sanjay Jha has said.

Trudy Muller, an Apple spokeswoman, declined to comment. The Galaxy Tab has only been available in some markets for a few days and it’s too early to make predictions about sales, said Kim Titus, spokesman for Samsung’s U.S. business.

“We do expect this device to be a very hot holiday device,” he said in an interview.

Apple declined $8.63, or 2.7 percent, to $308.03 in Nasdaq Stock Market trading at 4 p.m. New York time. The shares have gained 46 percent this year. Samsung, based in Suwon, South Korea, rose 1.4 percent to 778,000 won in Seoul trading.

To contact the reporter on this story: Amy Thomson in New York at [email protected].

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Peter Elstrom at [email protected].

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple, which sold 4.19 million iPads last quarter, may have trouble hitting some analysts’ estimates of 6 million sold in the fourth quarter, said analyst Ashok Kumar, who predicts Cupertino, California-based Apple may sell as few as 5 million of the touch-screen tablets.

Last quarter Apple only sold 4.19 million iPads because they couldn't make enough of them :biggrin:

It's not even available in many countrirs like Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia,... There were some constraints on the supply of screens.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rubbish lah. If he is talking about tablets, maybe so. With the launch of Samsung Galaxy Tab and other devices, why would the iPad dominate the next generation of devices? Just another Idiot talking out of his iArse

Just saw the Samsung galaxy tab, the screen, looks kind of small.
Checked with the guy at the shop, going for 688 with singtel plan, anybody know what it would cost without plan?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple rules, they taking the lead, the rest follows, that's a fact, no matter how you deny it.

Samsung or other brand pads now then launch, Apple is going to launch the beef up iPad pro, I do hope so :biggrin::biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just saw the Samsung galaxy tab, the screen, looks kind of small.
Checked with the guy at the shop, going for 688 with singtel plan, anybody know what it would cost without plan?

If you are seriously considering one, suggest you skip this version. Other manufacturers are waiting for Google to release a newer version of android OS for the tablet. Samsung is introducing this product to be the 1st non-Apple product out there.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are seriously considering one, suggest you skip this version. Other manufacturers are waiting for Google to release a newer version of android OS for the tablet. Samsung is introducing this product to be the 1st non-Apple product out there.
I think there's another brand, using Android platform also, can't remember the name.....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think there's another brand, using Android platform also, can't remember the name.....

The only serious competition to the iPad is an android powered tablet & a version optimised for a tablet hasn't been released yet.

Samsung & others that have products out are using the same version of android found on handphones

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oh, I remeber seeing one in the papers, its under Toshiba, going for 638.Think its an Android version.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

I guess apps on Ipad are similar to those on the Iphone and that is, its only as good as far as one needs to use it. Just as Philip Yeo stated, consumer are just paying for all the apps they don't use.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toshiba Folio pulled by PC World following customer complaints

The Toshiba Folio was one of the first Tegra 2-powered Android tablets to be released by a major manufacturer - or anyone else, for that matter - and in honesty, we had quite high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it appears that PC World, along with the rest of the Dixons family, has pulled the tablet from its shelves only ten days after its launch following a wave of customer complaints and returns.

A poster on the MoDaCo forums has managed to snag a picture of an internal PC World memo explaining that sales will be temporarily halted. For the time being, the tablet will stay on the shelves but the price has been hiked from £329 to £999 to discourage anyone from actually buying it. However, it's no longer available on the retailers website.

Apparently there were an exceptionally large number of returns and customer complaints on a number of different issues. According to other comments sluggish performance - despite the dual-core CPU running Android 2.2 - poor build quality, a lacklustre screen and the absence of both Flash and the Android Marketplace - both of which were promised at launch - were the most commonly cited problems.

Having caught wind of this development, Engadget popped in to verify the situation for themselves. Not only did they confirm the price hike, but the staff on-hand let them have a play with a retail unit which confirmed many of the issues that others had seen.

This news is especially disappointing, since on paper the Folio had all of the ingredients for a winning tablet - a speedy processor, up-to-date build of Android with access to the Marketplace and a reasonable price-tag. Dixons certainly must have thought so, since it signed an exclusive agreement to be the only UK retailer to carry the device for its first 21 days. As it stands, the Folio will have to be added to the pile of disappointing hardware powered by NVIDIA's Tegra SoC.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest problem is that android is not ready for ipad size device, they said they will have it ready about 2 years later. Meanwhile, i will be using my 64GB ipad.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toshiba Folio pulled by PC World following customer complaints

It took Apple a few years to develop the iPad. It must have taken alot of R&D effort.

Makes one wonder how many of the 'me too' tablet manufactures wil succeed in putting together an equally good product:confused:

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple will loose steam when Android 3.0 aka Honeycomb is released in 2011. In smartphone arena, Android had officially overtaken Apple in sales...

Last edited: