• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Honorable Hougang MP Low makes my day ! Retribution to PApee low!

Tiu Kwang Yew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at the Hougang MP low, he may be quiet but when talks, he talks with sense, humility, and integrity.

retributions to PAP bastards and their familees !

Press Release by MP for Hougang on Insight report for Hougang Constituency
Low Thia Khiang, MP for Hougang
I refer to the Straits Time Insight report on Hougang Constituency published on 24 September 2010.

Mr Eric Low said, “at every wake, he would send a blanket from the town council”. I would like to clarify that blankets and donations to families of deceased residents are given in my personal capacity as MP for Hougang to offer my condolences, not from the town council.

He was further quoted to have invited me for the meeting of HUDC cluster privatisation, to which I have replied, “too busy and didn’t want to come”. Mr Eric Low had brought this up in a conversation when we met at a lunar seventh month dinner. Never had it crossed my mind that a brief casual conversation was actually an official and important invitation to a formal dialogue session and not a grassroots meeting. In any case as I understand it, the dialogue session was organised by the People’s Association (PA) and Mr Eric Low was invited as the Guest-of-Honour. I was not informed nor invited to the meeting by the PA.

Next came the most intriguing point raised in the report, and I quote: “When the opposition lose in PAP wards, where do they go to? Do you see them in the PAP wards?”

These words and the underlying meaning behind them show exactly the kind of political system we have in Singapore.

Let me touch on the first point: “Where do they go to?”

When a PAP candidate loses the election, he is appointed or will remain as “Adviser” to the grassroots organisations. He heads the Community Club (CC) and nominates or endorses members of the Residents’ Committee (RC) whose activities are co-ordinated and routinely administered by the PA which is funded by government budget.

At the party level, he is in charge of the PAP’s branch in the constituency which is closely affiliated to the PAP Community Foundation (PCF). The PAP party office is usually located inside the premises of PCF, which is registered as a charitable organisation and runs pre-education classes for residents in the ward. The PCF premises are granted “concessionary rent” by the HDB.

To summarise, when a PAP candidate loses the election, he goes to the CC under the umbrella of the PA and to his party office under the PCF, where he can conduct meet-the-people sessions in a proper office in air-condition comfort.

Now, when a WP candidate loses the election, he has to, quite simply put it, ‘roam the streets’ if he wishes to continue extending his reach in the ward.

When the WP narrowly lost in the 1997 General Election, the former Secretary-General of the Workers’ Party, JB Jeyaretnam, wanted to continue to meet the residents of Cheng San GRC weekly to hear their concerns. This was held in a coffee shop but the coffee shop was soon branded as a place used for political purposes.

The second point: “do you see them in the ward?” makes a mockery out of our supposedly democratic political system.

We see the PAP’s presence in every ward, be it in their own or in the opposition’s.

Firstly, government initiated programs, such as Lift Upgrading Program and HUDC Estate Privatisation exercise, mandate the “Adviser” to play a central role.

The adviser is to assist in implementing privatisation of HUDC estates by endorsing the Protem Committee members and interacting with residents through dialogue sessions, house-to-house visits, etc. In the case of HDB flat Lift Upgrading, the Adviser is to announce the precinct being selected, preside over the exhibition in the ward and oversee the LUP working committee.

The elected MP has no say!

Secondly, the PA assists the grassroots organisations, which include the RCs, Constituency Sports Club, CC etc to organise social and community events and the Adviser is invited as Guest-of-Honour. This gives a great opportunity to the Adviser to be seen and heard by the people in the ward. The Adviser is also invited to other functions such as lunar seventh month dinner organised by the residents and to functions organised by schools within the constituency.

Thirdly, PCF, the charity arm of the PAP which offers nursery and kindergarten classes to residents, also invites the Adviser as the Guest-of-Honour for their graduation ceremonies. This is usually well attended by parents who live in the constituency.

Finally at the national level, the Adviser is invited to events such as National Day Parade, official ceremony of governmental events or campaigns, as well as, events such as the F1 Race.

As for WP, what options do we have? We have applied to Town Councils and CCs managed by the PAP to hold dialogue sessions and block parties for residents previously but these applications were promptly rejected.

Given such limitations, we can only try to enhance our presence in the various wards through house-to-house visits.

Unlike the PAP candidates who lost in the General Election, our candidates have to rely on our own limited resources amidst the constraints and obstacles hurled upon us.

Therefore, I am surprised to hear such sarcasm from Mr Eric Low “where do they go to?” and “do you see them in the ward?” The PAP puts in overwhelming resources to have their presence felt and is equally determined in quelling the opposition’s presence.

Singapore is supposedly at the crossroads of an era where many good things are happening in our country. We talk about the YOG competitive spirit and fairness. We talk about openness and democracy. We talk about empowering our people.

But are we truly promoting the spirit of competition? Can we truly be open with our views? Are we truly empowered?

Low Thia Khiang

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I totally agree!!! PAP style of doing really pissed me off!!! ;(

Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang on problem with PAP election view and GRC scheme...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JM-mh99Yat8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JM-mh99Yat8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eric low the pap election loser lose liao can still so yaya. If he win then how much howlian can he get. Pui.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
its quite clear that the eric low is just another frog in the well, he doesnt seem to have the slightest clue about how things r run, since the days of this island's independance. no surprises to know if he is part of the 66.6% that casted their votes blindly.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Eric Low goes back to Hougang, he is definitely the professional fall guy of the PAP. Those who have a hope for better things will put on somebody's coattails in a GRC after they lose to opp powerhouses. See Ng Pock Too and Heng Chee How (lost to LTK); and MBT (lost to CST).

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dose burgers like 2 anyhow make claims n accusations ... shud ritely slam dose burgers ...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese newspaper reported about PAP loser Eric Low trying to make life difficult for Low Thia Kiang. The PAP loser Eric admitted to the chinese newspaper that he occassionally played punk with opposition party and declined to make known publicly what he did in the dark when reporters tried to probe further. Let's hope hougang people and the rest of Singaporeans get such enlightenment from the news...yesterday?

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the ruling party will lose support from the middle class income earners time after the property cost & land cost had gone beyond the affordability of average people.