• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I m 53 & dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace

Deep Purple

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am 53 years old and dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace.Forgive me if I sound like ranting.......

I am a loner. I have spent half my life slogging in the rat race. Now I am feeling tired....sometimes very tired. I am in and out of quite a number of jobs in the last ten years. Prior to that I had worked in the stable education service for more than 10 years.

I have been sending out hundreds of my resume. I receive an offer which I find is exploitation. The lady boss wanted me to work from 10.30 am to 8 pm....six days a week. There is no proper lunch break. Someone will be assigned to buy a pkt of rice for me.....Though it pay is close to 2k, I rejected the job offer.

I don't have the energy that I used to have when I was younger. I have been jobless since about 17/01/08. I have been surviving on my savings all these months.

I have been living alone since 1992....16 years of living alone. I don't regret it. It's my choice. I prefer to be alone and talk less even in the occasional social circle.

I have a brother and a sister. But I am not close to them. I just need a listening ear.....so I come here to say my peace.

Thank you for listening to the woes of an old man....

:(

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
any regrets you ever had in life? prehaps sharing it here for all to see will be interesting

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u have enough savings in ur CPF....migrate to Batam and be a king over there.

No point to be depress in this rat race country.
Afterall, is ur life...be it sad or happy...u still have to live through it.

So choose a better route for urself.

:wink: :p :wink:

royster79

Alfrescian
Loyal
everyone has a unique problem themselves... its how u look at it and solve it... I dun believe there is a single human out there without any problems... If u think u r the worst, take a trip to the less fortunate countries or even, go down to any hospital... I am sure u like see ur problem so minor in front of them

I have been jobless for almost 5 mths already... And this is not my longest record ( 1 year ).. I know its hard to accept that no income is coming in... But i am sure ur savings should be enough to tide u over this storm.. Take it easy bro.. Life is never a bed of roses.. If other can make it, i'm sure u can do it too..

Good luck to u!!:smile:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u have 2 exercise discipline n tolerance there at batam or u might becum the king of diseases... :rolleyes:

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Took a year off work before and felt myself becoming insane. So the mental spirit atrophies too. Ultimately being alone and jobless need not bring about despair and estrangement. The diversity of life and its experiences offer us so much and yet we cocoon ourselves in rigid frames of thought.

Hope you get to break out of your "dying" mindset, find something to get by, and seize whatever time that's left. Noticed you write well and cogently; much you can do if you're not choosy.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deep Purple,
U sure u are in education? I dont mean to make fun but u want to
say yr piece for a peace of mind.?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Life is not about work. Many who are working are struggling to take a break or wanting to break off from hell in office. There are many things you can do with such fated freedom. Spend wisely in this time of the year, keep yourself fit. You are so fortunate to be alone and not burdened by families or children to feed at home. Many have became broke not because of being jobless but due to greed, we should count ourselves lucky if we are not in their shoes.
Rejecting job is part and parcel of life and it is a fact that once you accepted a lower pay job or succumbed to "exploitations", it is harder to climb up again. Everything can go up but not salary. Hold on to your dream and don't act in haste out of desperation, every choice we made could be a blessing in disguise if we believe in ourselves that vibrancy brought doom and depression brought opportunity. I have seen miracles in life and have met them myself during the worst period iduring 2001 - 2003. I post my own sad story in old sammyboy forum when I first join the forum and now I felt much better in life than I would have expected. Don't give up and remember to recite positive prayers because "someone" is listening and you never know.:wink:

I am 53 years old and dying of old age.I come in here just 2 say my peace.Forgive me if I sound like ranting.......

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually being alone and jobless isn't so frightening.

Just accept the reality, understand ur own finances...how long u can tahan
and next, quickly find ANY part-time/freelance/ jobs/activities to keep u BUSY.

The keyword is busy.

If u r jobless for too long, too idle...and u started to think the negative side of life.

Getting the right perspective is very impt.
Like what Rocky quote.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It's a very mean and nasty place
and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees
and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.

But it ain't about how hard ya hit.
It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward.

How much you can take and keep moving forward.

That's how winning is done!

:biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am a loner. I have spent half my life slogging in the rat race. Now I am feeling tired....sometimes very tired. I am in and out of quite a number of jobs in the last ten years. Prior to that I had worked in the stable education service for more than 10 years.

I have been sending out hundreds of my resume. I receive an offer which I find is exploitation. The lady boss wanted me to work from 10.30 am to 8 pm....six days a week. There is no proper lunch break. Someone will be assigned to buy a pkt of rice for me.....Though it pay is close to 2k, I rejected the job offer.

I don't have the energy that I used to have when I was younger. I have been jobless since about 17/01/08. I have been surviving on my savings all these months.

I have been living alone since 1992....16 years of living alone. I don't regret it. It's my choice. I prefer to be alone and talk less even in the occasional social circle.

I have a brother and a sister. But I am not close to them. I just need a listening ear.....so I come here to say my peace.

Hey 53 is not old for goodness sake! Didn't Colonel Sanders start KFC at 60 years old! You've got some life to live still.

If you continue thinking like this you will really diminish! Keeping busy is good. On the bright side, imagine being able to BEO ladies non-stop with no guilt since you are single. Haha. I think the guys here are all jealous of your being able to do that la.

Actually, 2k is not so bad in this economic climate. The salary could go up more later, and most importantly, you will make friends. :smile: WOW!

If they really exploit you, why would they offer to buy lunch? I think some interaction with people will do you good. :cool:

Don't be so pessimistic and cheer up ok? Look at the number of people on this thread. We all care about you. :smile:

Group hug!! :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

OLD??? At 53???

Sherman Bull climbed Mount Everest in 2001 at the age of 64!:eek:

On May 16 2004, Nawang Sherpa became the first person to climb Mount Everest with a prosthetic leg.

On May 17, the 70-year old Japanese man Takao Arayama reached the peak, thus becoming the oldest man to summit Everest, breaking by three days the previous world record of 70 years, seven months and 13 days

Yuichiro Miura reclaimed his title of oldest person to reach the summit of Everest at age 75 years and 227 days (on May 26 2008)

I suggest you climb Mount Everest next year. It will help your self esteems heaps.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
my ozzie friend just completed his half tour-de-france type of cycling in europe and he is reaching 50 of age this year.

rather than linger on in SG, get out and live!

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dont know about the woes of living alone. I m not sure of what's the problem - Is having no money or having no company. If it is no money, i will suggest you think out of the box. You said that you are living alone and have been living on your saving for month now, my take on it - get a renter in your house. You can have the best of both world, an income and maybe a company. Dont let the so called "troublesome" worries you - give it a try and see if you find some colour in your life. Cheers and wish you a good and exciting life from Edmonton Canada.

alex

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
53 is not Old yet. but what for piah so hard. one man's life is 70 years, die already leave behind ashes only.

go ahead and enjoy, then return to the soil liao.

we are just something that sprung out of some bacteria organisms.

one life...and boom thats it

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deep Purple,
Since you chose this solo lifestyle, you should be mentally prepared to weather it all. Dying? May not be so easy. Many people live up to their 90s these days. What if U happened to be 1 of them? Wallowing in self-pity isn't going to help. Since U've been jobless for a while now, the prudent thing would be to take up the job offer first, then decide on your next move. A suitable job WILL come along - but when? It's anybody's guess. U should grab whatever job that comes along to keep yr financials intact and then take yr time to look fr a better job. Think out of the box to keep yr living costs low and hv some hobbies to keep yr sanity. Exercise regularly to keep fit is equally important. At 53, U may hv another 40 years to go. Hey, be positive and make things happen.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is totally ok to be 53 years old and alone. IF getting income is a problem, then try to get some job that is lower pay and uses less effort. Since you are from education, then do some freelance teaching.

But the most important of all, do not be a sinkie.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see plenty of private schools needing teachers. Or, you can start your own freelance tuition. A jobs is not the concern, it's the need to DO SOMETHING USEFUL that drives people. As long as you have functioning hands and senses, there is always hope and something you can do. And don't believe the PAP who think 40 year-olds are obsolete - lots of people reach their peak only at 50-70.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
spend an evening at geylang lorong 24 and your perspective of life in sg may change for the better. bring some cash along. it's a great way to die. :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
53 years old and lonely? come on, give yourself a life man! don't wallow in self pity and helplessness. get out of the house and smell the roses outside. just go out and give yourself a treat.no point staying at home and crying your heart out. get out of the prison and enjoy the fresh air and give yourself a treat anywhere to make yourself happy- anywhere i mean. Cheer up man!