• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Leadership training for SDP's youths

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/the-party/young-democrats/4121-leadership-training-for-sdps-youths

Leadership training for SDP's youths
Sunday, 19 September 2010
Muhammad Shamin

ylda-bangkok1.jpg

Thai PM Abhisit posing for a photograph with workshop participants
“Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” This is one of the quotes that I could identify with during the workshop that I attended last week in Pattaya, Thailand.

Entitled “Transformative Leadership and Good Governance”, the conference was organised for young politial activists across Asia. It was jointly organised by the Young Liberals and Democrats of Asia (YLDA) and Democratic Party Youth Action (DPYA) of Thailand, and supported by the Friedich Naumann Foundation.

The trainers spoke on the various topics on leadership including leadership styles, models of leaadesrhip, decision-making, time and stress managemen, listening skills, etc.

Participants were also given practical sessions where we role-played different types of leadership and applied the various theories of leadership. The feedback given gave us good insight on the desirable and undesirable features of leadership.

Meeting the Prime Minister of Thailand

thaipm.jpg

Shamin with Abhisit

We also had the opportunity to meet the Prime Minister of Thailand, Abhisit Vejjajiva, at the headquarters of the Democrat Party in Bangkok.

In his address to the participants, he explained the current situation of Thailand and the progress that has been made ever since coming to power.

“We are all in politics as volunteers, so there is nothing to complain about," he said to the particiants, "We were the ones who went to the people to listen to their problems, we were the ones who offered the solutions.”

I was able to say a few words to him: “Hello Sir, I am Muhammad Shamin from the Singapore Democratic Party. Our leader, Dr Chee Soon Juan sends his regards to you and prays for the peace and prosperity of Thailand under your Prime Ministership.

"We hope that Thailand as one of the functioning democracies in the region and ruled by a democratic party is able to play a leading role to promote democracy. It is hoped that the democratic countries in ASEAN are able to influence the autocratic governments to abide by the ASEAN Human Rights Charter.”

He acknowledged that when Thailand chaired ASEAN, they faced difficulty with “some countries” in inviting independent observers and also civil society to participate in the ASEAN Summit. He assured that Thailand would choose the path of promoting the ASEAN Human Rights Charter.

But at the end of the day, he noted, it is the will of the people who will determine whether change will take place or not.

The vehicle for development

ylda-bangkok2.jpg

Making a point

The program was fruitful for me especially listening to presentations on leadership. Such exposure for aspiring politicians and political activists like me are invaluable. Being part of the Young Democrats provides me with the opportunity to attend such forums.

Such events are regularly and frequently held around the world. But because youths in Singapore are shielded from democratic politics, they miss out on much that is going on. The SDP is the only party that is providing us with this opportunity to get out of Singapore to meet and learn from democrats in other countries and develop ourselves.
Also the Young Democrats have to play a more active role in regional and international organisations to raise the profile of the Singapore Democratic Party and also serve as an important information-sharing and idea-generation platform that will be useful in our struggle to democratise Singapore.

One of the most important points that I took away from the workshop is that as a party that is founded on the principles of liberal democratic principles, one of the challenges of our leadership is how the SDP is able to convince people that our policies work and that our party is capable of managing the country well.

Shamin is a member of the Young Democrats. He completed a stint as an intern at the European Parliament earlier this year.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CSJ certainly demonstrates greater leadership and capability than that Son of an Ass Hole!

exbizsol

Great, Leadership training is very important to achieve the goal of the organization. The leader must have the capability to control, organize and lead the organization in such a way that it get the goal. All these capabilities are possible only with the help of training. so i strongly recommend this type of Leadership Development Training program.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The training wasn't provided by SDP or CSJ. Throwing their young to foreign NGOs is fine but I hope they learn the correct things.

shunquan

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ certainly demonstrates greater leadership and capability than that Son of an Ass Hole!

The MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan sure demonstrates leadership capability.

SDP before the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan: 3 full parliamentary seats

SDP after the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan: NCMP seat also don't have.

SDP before the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan: Best performing opposition party.

SDP after the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan: Worst performing opposition party.

If these stats are anything to go by, you can keep your leader. The results speak for themselves.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first rule of good leadership is to have at least some people to lead. For the SDP, I think membership is an issue.
Great, Leadership training is very important to achieve the goal of the organization. The leader must have the capability to control, organize and lead the organization in such a way that it get the goal. All these capabilities are possible only with the help of training. so i strongly recommend this type of Leadership Development Training program.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The democratic party was not elected into the govt by the people. It's by a military coup deposing Thaksin's party. And they call themselves Democratic Party promoting Democracy.

I can't help laughing.

And the Democratic party is very afraid to call an elections. Because anytime an election is called, they will lose back to Thaksin's proxy parties. It's a fact

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These guys have no clue. I realised that When Uncle Yap was cheering the yellow shirt. He did not even understand the basics. This is despite the leader of Yellow rebels saying very clearly that votes should be given to rural people who have no idea about government.

When I saw the article about the SDP chap with the PM, I felt sorry for this guy. He probably participate faithfully at the next friendly monthly meeting of the KKK.

The irony, Abhisit got into power courtesy of military interference.

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
These guys have no clue. I realised that When Uncle Yap was cheering the yellow shirt. He did not even understand the basics. This is despite the leader of Yellow rebels saying very clearly that votes should be given to rural people who have no idea about government.

When I saw the article about the SDP chap with the PM, I felt sorry for this guy. He probably participate faithfully at the next friendly monthly meeting of the KKK.
The SDP youths are a bunch of goons. They want to promote full-fledged democracy but yet they are meeting up with a leader who is in power not because of democratic elections, but because simply the Thai Army disliked the Puea Thai and 'persuaded' them out.

I think the SDP youths are better-off meeting and getting to know the HDB folks.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Haz

Ahbasit, Ahbasit, THE SDP is proud of being associated with Ahbaist. Shamin obviously has not read or tried even to understand , Thai Politics. Thaksin might be a lot of things but at the very least he was voted in by the rural poor.

Locke

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Haz

Ahbasit, Ahbasit, THE SDP is proud of being associated with Ahbaist. Shamin obviously has not read or tried even to understand , Thai Politics. Thaksin might be a lot of things but at the very least he was voted in by the rural poor.

Locke
My sentiments exactly. If they are sincere in promoting democracy, Taiwan, Japan or South Korea are better choices.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

isnt it ironic that SDP claim promotion of democracy and yet associate themselves with a man who got power through undemocratic means?

so is there real democracy or just a word?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why people get upset with the SDP and Gomez. Maybe some should organise a basic in politics, a 101 for these people.

Dear Haz

Locke

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dont you mean "votes should NOT be given to rural people"? Its the reds that draw power away form the capital right?

Hazama

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore Malays were already upset with SDP by putting their youth in a silly position.
Championing for democracy while 'endorsing' a PM who won by military help. The PAP must be having a good laugh till tomorow afternoon at this PR disaster.

I don't deny the SDP Youths are an enthusiastic lot with positive energy, but they are channeling it into the wrong direction. More disasters ahead.