• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One of my staff turned citizen today, I'm so happy for her and for me

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
She was one of those among the 3,000 reported

She is a PRC from Chongqing - she was already a PR when I bought into the business and I had repeatedly backed her citizenship application until successful.

I feel she has so much to teach us Singaporean in terms of grace and resourcefulness

Over 3,000 PRs turned citizens on Saturday
By Evelyn Choo | Posted: 18 September 2010 1628 hrs

SINGAPORE: More than 3,000 people took the step to become Singapore citizens on Saturday. They celebrated their rite of passage at various Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) and at the Supreme Court building.

Among the new citizens is Suhairy Sukiat from Indonesia. The 36-year-old IT professional has been a Singapore permanent resident for nine years.

"Indonesia and Singapore have almost the same culture, same food.....In terms of language, it's good for my family. My mom and mother-in-law can come here, and they can speak Mandarin, no problem," he said.

His wife-to-be is 31-year-old Zhang Hui from China whom he met in Singapore four years ago.

The couple joined some 130 new Singaporeans at the annual National Citizenship Ceremony at the Supreme Court, where they recited the Pledge as a group and were presented with their Singapore identity cards.

Speaking at the ceremony, Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong encouraged the new citizens to get in touch with the Singapore way of life. As for those who are already well-integrated into society, there is still much more to be done.

"I would like to encourage you to consider giving back to Singapore society by volunteering with community and grassroots organisations. There are many opportunities to do so. As new citizens, I am sure you can serve a valuable conduit between newcomers and the larger population," said Mr Gan.

Making a similar call was Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng. Speaking at a citizenship presentation ceremony at Bishan Community Club, Mr Wong said: "One way of giving back to the Singapore society is to take part actively in grassroots activities or even step forward to organise them."

He urged the new citizens to meet grassroots leaders present at the event who could introduce them to the activities and programmes organised by local community-based organisations such as the Residents' Committees, Neighbourhood Committees, Community Club and Citizens' Consultative Committees.

Mr Wong also reminded the new citizens that while Singapore citizenship offers many privileges including the policies that citizens enjoy, the oath also comes with obligations and expectations. These obligations include making the effort to become a part of the community.

Last year, 19,928 citizenship applications were approved.

- CNA/ir

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3000 PRC get sinkie IC, well i expect 2500 will leave before 10 yrs to australia, usa, europe. only the fool stay behind, just look at the elders in singapore clearing table, working in macdonald, and collect cans, this going to be their fate, when they are old. I welcome these new citizen to emigrate to better countries. i am happy for them to go.