• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MOM rejects S'porean(s)' appeal to marry a FT

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
People want to marry MOM (PAP) also want to CONTROL and RUIN!! Pui!!:mad:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180757,00.html?

'We're not young anymore'
S'porean, 44, applies more than 20 times to government agency to marry Filipina girlfriend, 34, but is rejected
By Desmond Ng

October 22, 2008

NP_IMAGES_DNMARRY-ESC.jpg

STILL HOPING: Mr Kanna sent another appeal letter to MOM last week. TNP PICTURE: CHOO CHWEE HUA

HE HAS been waiting to marry his girlfriend for more than four years.

But even after more than 20 appeals to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), Mr Kumar Kanna, 44, still can't get the required permission to do so.

The problem is that his girlfriend, Miss Pacita Vallejos Tibayan, is a Filipina who had worked here as a maid some six years ago.

Miss Tibayan, 34, left for the Philippines in November 2004.

She and Mr Kanna, a sales manager in an electronics shop here, applied to get married that year when she was still working in Singapore.

But their application was rejected.

Miss Tibayan then returned to the Philippines towards the end of her contract.

Although no reasons were offered by the ministry on why his application was rejected, Mr Kanna said an MOM officer told him that it was because his monthly $1,700 income was deemed too low to support a family.

Mr Kanna, who has a primary six education, is earning about $2,500 now.

Undeterred by the rejection from MOM, he persisted and applied again and again.

Mr Kanna has a stack of over 20 rejection letters from MOM dating back to 2004.

Every appeal letter he sent out gave him some measure of hope. But each rejection letter he received brought him more despair.

He said: 'I've gone to a few MPs (Members of Parliament) for help, but even then, my appeals were still unsuccessful.

'I understand that the current regulation does not allow Singaporeans to marry maids who are still working here.

'But she's no longer working here as a maid, so why can't we get married?'

Mr Kanna has not given up. He said he sent out another appeal letter to MOM last week.

The couple met here when Miss Tibayan was working for his boss' family, who owns an electronics shop.

The two of them hit it off immediately.

Said Mr Kanna: 'Both of us got on really well and even my boss was okay with our relationship.'

He misses her terribly and said that it is torture for both of them to be caught in this situation.

He reckoned that he spends about $1,500 a year on air tickets and phone bills to keep in contact with Miss Tibayan.

He sends about $300 to her every month. Miss Tibayan, who graduated from high school, is now selling sundry goods in a market in the Philippines.

The couple see each other only twice a year.

Mr Kanna flew to the Philippines during the Chinese New Year period while Miss Tibayan will come to Singapore next week during Deepavali.

He said: 'The Government keeps encouraging us to get married and have babies. I want to do that, but the Government is also standing in my way.

Helpless

'Unlike others who cannot find a partner, I have already found my love, but I am unable to be with her due to certain unclear rules from MOM.

'Our happiness and lives are being controlled by such constraints and we are feeling very helpless.'

Miss Tibayan, who spoke to us from the Philippines, said that she is also getting tired from all the waiting.

She said: 'It has been so long. I am very sad because we've been together for so many years and we've been separated for just as long.

'I am not very happy, but what can I do?'

Mr Kanna is the second oldest child in a family of seven. His father is 88 years old, and his mother is 75.

His desperation and concerns are understandable - all his siblings and even some of his nieces and nephews are already married.

He is eager to settle down, but time is ticking away. He acknowledges that both of he and his girlfriend are not young anymore, especially if they want to start a family.

He said: 'My parents are also very old and they really long to see me get married. I just need to know the date when I can marry my girlfriend. It is ridiculous for me to be appealing so many times.

'Usually, people seek for marriage approval from parents, while for my case, I need to seek approval from MOM.'

Under the Marriage Restriction Policy, all current and former work permit holders are required to seek approval from the ministry before marrying a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident (PR). Such unskilled workers earn up to $2,500 a month.

Said a MOM spokesman: 'If the marriage proceeds without approval, the spouse may not be able to obtain residency status in Singapore.

'This requirement is necessary to send a clear message to foreign workers that they should come here only to work and not with the intention of sinking roots in Singapore.'

In assessing application by citizens or PRs to marry current or former work permit holders, MOM said they will consider, among other factors, whether the couple is likely to be financially self-reliant.

Mr Kanna said that MOM would not reveal what is the required income to be considered self-reliant.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'porean, 44, applies more than 20 times to government agency to marry Filipina girlfriend, 34, but is rejected

Oh my God!!

Is Sinkapor a Communist Country? Need approval from party cadres before marriage?

The State Decides Who to marry or not?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180756,00.html?

IN TROUBLE OVER LOVE
October 22, 2008

1. In 2004 , Mr Gan Wei Keong, a Malaysian who had been working as a food delivery man here, had his work permit cancelled and was given seven days to leave Singapore because he had married a Singaporean PR.

Ironically, the authorities found out he had married a Singapore PR only when he applied to become a PR himself.

2. 41-year-old Singaporean security officer Ganesan Ramayah met Indian national Kurusamy Kala in 1993 while she was working here as a maid. They married in 1995 - after her contract had ended - but neither knew they had broken the law.

In 2001, the violation was discovered and Madam Kurusamy was forced to leave Singapore.

3. Malaysian Loh Kwai Yit, 39, was a work permit holder here before she married nightclub manager Melvin Lee Seng Kim, 59.

In January 2000, they got married in Malaysia. Mr Lee then tried to get a long-term social visit pass for his wife.

Instead, he found that she could not enter Singapore at all, as she had broken one of the conditions of her previous work permit by marrying him.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180755,00.html?

COMMENT
If only she hadn't worked here before
By Desmond Ng

October 22, 2008

IT'S a policy that seems to penalise those who have worked here before.

Under the Marriage Restriction Policy, work permit holders have to seek approval from the authorities to marry a Singaporean or PR.

The idea is to prevent large numbers of such workers from taking root here.

But the irony is that if Ms Tibayan (see story, left) had never worked a day here, she would have been happily married to Mr Kanna today.

And by the same token, men here can go overseas and bring foreign brides home - women who have never contributed to our economy - with even less ado.

Is it time to review this policy?

MPs here seem to think so. In 2004, Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman asked then Acting Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen in Parliament to clarify the need for this policy and why it is also binding on former work permit holders.

Dr Ng said: 'We need a strong signal... There are 500,000 work permit holders here, mainly less skilled or unskilled workers...

'We need to be very careful that the couple is able to look after themselves and their family, and not become a burden to the society or state in the longer term.'

In 2005, six MPs likewise argued that the law has not kept pace with the times, particularly in light of the booming foreign bride business.

The MPs said they receive regular appeals from married couples who have been forced by the law to live apart. They argued that it penalises foreigners who worked and married here without first seeking approval.

There have been cases of maids becoming PRs by marrying Singaporeans. But such cases are rare because of the policy.

MOM said in 2005 that it grants permission to about 85 per cent of work permit holders wanting to marry Singaporeans. The ministry also said in 2000 that it received between 1,500 and 2,000 marriage applications every year.

Singapore wants to attract foreigners to live and work here, but until we review this policy or make it more transparent for marriage hopefuls like Mr Kanna, it seems that not all are welcomed here.

And this from a nation built by immigrants.

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180755,00.html?

COMMENT
If only she hadn't worked here before
By Desmond Ng

October 22, 2008

IT'S a policy that seems to penalise those who have worked here before.

Under the Marriage Restriction Policy, work permit holders have to seek approval from the authorities to marry a Singaporean or PR.

The idea is to prevent large numbers of such workers from taking root here.

HOW COME PRC STUDY MAMAS can marry Spore men & get Spore PR immediately! PRC STUDY MAMAS hold work permits working as cleaners, waitresses, hairdressers. Those without work permits work illegally as massueses & prostitutes. But even those on work permits can easily get Spore PR with Spore hubbies! MOM is discriminating!

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
in my personal opinion, if the singaporean man has adequate income, he would have his application approved.

pfingo

Alfrescian
Loyal
u guys dun know meh? geylang chicken with 'yellow card' also same as them......let me puu the act for you all to see

(3) The following persons are members of the prohibited classes:

(a) any person who is unable to show that he has the means of supporting himself and his dependants (if any) or that he has definite employment awaiting him, or who is likely to become a pauper or a charge on the public;

(b) any person suffering from mental disorder or being a mental defective, or suffering from a contagious or infectious disease which makes his presence in Singapore dangerous to the community;

(ba) any person suffering from Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome or infected with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus;

(c) any person desiring to enter Singapore who refuses to submit to an examination after being required to do so under section 29 (1);

(d) any person who —

(i) has been convicted in any country or state of an offence for which a sentence of imprisonment has been passed for any term;

(ii) has not received a free pardon; and

(iii) by reason of the circumstances connected with that conviction is deemed by the Controller to be an undesirable immigrant;

(e) any prostitute or any person who is living on or receiving or who, prior to entering Singapore, lived on or received the proceeds of prostitution;

(f) any person who procures or attempts to bring into Singapore prostitutes or women or girls for the purpose of prostitution or other immoral purpose;

(g) vagrants or habitual beggars;

(h) any person whose entry into Singapore is, or at the time of his entry was, unlawful under this Act or any other written law for the time being in force;

(i) any person who believes in or advocates the overthrow by force or violence of the Government or of any established government or of constituted law or authority or who disbelieves in or is opposed to established government, or who advocates the assassination of public officials, or who advocates or teaches the unlawful destruction of property;

(j) any person who is a member of or affiliated with any organisation entertaining or teaching disbelief in or opposition to established government or advocating or teaching the duty, necessity or propriety of the unlawful assaulting or killing of any officer or officers, either of specific individuals or officers generally, of the Government or of any established government, because of his or their official character, or advocating or teaching the unlawful destruction of property;

(k) any person who, in consequence of information received from any source or from any government through official or diplomatic channels, is considered by the Minister to be an undesirable immigrant;

(l) any person who has been removed from any country or state by the government of that country or state on repatriation for any reason whatever and who, by reason of the circumstances connected therewith, is considered by the Controller to be an undesirable immigrant;

(m) any person who, being required by any written law for the time being in force to be in possession of valid travel documents, is not in possession of those documents or is in possession of forged or altered travel documents or travel documents which do not fully comply with that written law;

(n) the family and dependants of a prohibited immigrant; and

(o) any person prohibited by an order made under section 9 from entering Singapore.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
What does this mean ?

The gahment is sending a strong message to those lowly or not educated male Sinkies; go ahead, f88k as many maids or low skilled foreign workers as you like. Go on and do it !!

But, for marriage, it is definitely a no, no, no ...... dun contaminate your blood further !!!

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kanna should start life anew in the Phils. with all the cpf he had.
Whats so good being here. Everyday,bills after bills.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
?????
Why marry in sinkieland? Go to Philippines and marry. and come back with a foreign marriage cert then convert. YOu do not need a govt permission to marry.

GOv think ur income too low, you can say that you increase the cost of living so high and not fit to tell him that his pay is too low. That is stupid. Marriage is a private affair and has nothing to do with a govt.

Stay in sinkieland at your own peril

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damed it men, on one hand they complaint about low skilled FT robbed of our job, on the other hand they complaint that they are not allowed to marry low skilled FT which also robbed our job !:mad::mad:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He has himself to blamed, keep thinking that everything need the permission of govt. Please flushed out this sinkie mentality. It is unhealthy.

sage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Kanna earns $2500 pm. The garmen must know that is the salary of medical doctors ex nus.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MOM is mum

why not ask pradaman to help

he sure help his own kind

not to mention they went to space and want to colonise the moon

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Kanna is really a goondo, with a salary of $2500, he could have get one young, beautiful and innocent one from India, why go for the old pinoy. His aged parent would be more happy to have a daughter in law of their same kind.