• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Twitpics from space : Astronaut sends pictures back to Earth via his Twitter account

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Twitpics from space: astronaut sends pictures back to Earth via his Twitter account, Astro_Wheels

hurricane_1711724i.jpg

Millions of people use Twitpic to tweet photos to their Twitter followers. But few of these pictures are as spectacular as those uploaded to the site by Douglas H. Wheelock, who goes by the name @Astro_Wheels on Twitter. But then he has an almost unique vantage point - he is an astronaut aboard the International Space Station. Every couple of days, he tweets pictures to his followers. We present some of them here, but to see more, simply follow @Astro_Wheels on Twitter

He says: "Caught this image of the eye of the storm as we flew over Hurricane Earl"

coral_1711745i.jpg

He says: "An explosion of color, motion, and life painted on the canvas of our wonderful world. This is a section of the Great Barrier Reef off the eastern coast of Australia, captured through a 1200mm lens. I think even the great Impressionists would be awestruck with this natural display"

river-of-ice_1711754i.jpg

He calls this image River of Ice, saying: "Here is a look at the stunning landscape of the Coastal Mountains, in British Columbia, Canada.
The Silverthrone Glacier through a 400mm lens"

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Twitpics from space : Astronaut sends pictures back to Earth via his Twitter acco

cyprus_1711781i.jpg

"Beautiful reflection of sunlight on the eastern Mediterranean Sea. No borders or conflict visible from space... just breath-taking beauty
like this view of the island of Cyprus"

sunrise_1711765i.jpg

He says: "Another breathtaking sunset... we get 16 of these each day in Earth orbit, each one a treasured moment.
That beautiful thin blue line is what makes our home so special in the cosmos"

nile_1711722i.jpg

"Over the Sahara Desert approaching ancient lands and thousands of years of history. The Nile River flowing through Egypt past the pyramids of Giza up to Cairo in the delta; the Red Sea, Sinai Peninsula, Dead Sea; Jordan River; and the Sea of Galilee are visible, as are the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea and Greece coming over the horizon"

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Twitpics from space : Astronaut sends pictures back to Earth via his Twitter acco

italy_1711784i.jpg

He says: "The beauty of Italy, on a clear summer night, stretching out into the Mediterranean Sea. You can see many of the beautiful islands lit up and adorning the coastline including Capri, Sicily, and Malta. The city of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius stand out along the coast"

atoll_1711774i.jpg

He says: "Beautiful atoll in the South Pacific through a 400mm lens. About 1200 miles south of Honolulu"

hurricane-horizon_1711740i.jpg

He says: "Hurricane Danielle as we passed directly overhead in the central Atlantic. I'm not a tropical storm expert by any means, but Danielle looks very well-organised with a very well-defined eye. The storm looks spectacularly peaceful from this vantage point, but I can only imagine the tempest below
those clouds. Many thoughts and prayers from space for a favourable path"

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

corinth-canal_1711769i.jpg

He says: "View of the Corinthian Channel in Greece, just west of Athens. A relatively new man made channel in an ancient land.
The channel connects the Gulf of Corinth to the Aegean Sea"

holy-land_1711764i.jpg

He says: "A peaceful view of the Holy Land, without any borders. Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Palestine... all framing this shot of the
port city of Haifa and east to the Sea of Galilee and the Jordan River. In the centre of the photo, the city of Nazareth"

<table class="image" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td>
solar-panels_1711790i.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Sometimes, @Astro_Wheels captions his photos with lyrics from songs. Of this one, he writes: "Every moment I get to look out the window
at our beautiful planet, my soul just sings! I see skies of blue... and clouds of white... the bright blessed day..."

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aurora3_1711787i.jpg

He says: "A breath-taking masterpiece being painted in the sky over the South Pole. The Southern Lights"

aurora-2_1711788i.jpg

Another photo of an aurora from space

meso_1711786i.jpg

"It is the season for viewing Polar Mesospheric Clouds, and with our high beta-angle we were
able to capture this thin layer of noctilucent clouds at sunset"

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

glacier_1711737i.jpg

He says: "At the southern end of South America lies the jewel of Patagonia. The awe-inspiring beauty of rugged mountains, massive glaciers, fjords,
and the open sea collide in a breathtaking display. I have dreams of this place and wonder what it would be like to breathe this air"

pompei_1711776i.jpg

"Along the west coast of beautiful Italy, Mount Vesuvius stands proudly beside the sea towering over Naples and the ancient city of Pompeii"

greece_1711721i.jpg

The Isles of Greece during a clear night pass over Europe. Athens shining brightly along the Mediterranean Sea

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

cupola_1711726i.jpg

He says: "The Cupola, attached to the nadir side of the Space Station, gives a panoramic view of our beautiful planet. Fyodor [Yurchikhin] took this picture from the window of the Russian Docking Compartment (Airlock). Here I am in the Cupola preparing a camera for our late evening Hurricane Earl flyover"

reef_1711748i.jpg

He says: "Of all the places on our glorious planet, few rival the brilliant colours of The Bahamas. Here is a view of our Progress-37 re-supply spacecraft,
with the islands of The Bahamas as a backdrop"

moon-solar-panel_1711758i.jpg

The moon is seen behind one of the space station's solar panels

impact-crater_1711771i.jpg

He says: "Manicouagan ancient impact crater in north-central Quebec, Canada. Now the site of stunning beauty, crystal clear lakes,
breathtaking forest, and abundant life. You can still see the impact scar from space"

Zhou Yü

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<object width="300" height="205"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MTX7ziKuvgo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MTX7ziKuvgo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x2b405b&amp;color2=0x6b8ab6&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="300" height="205"></embed></object>