• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Using western name to hide her country of birth

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do 151st kept reporting her name as Isabelle Li instead of Li Siyun? Are they trying to hide the fact that she is a China-born player being imported here to represent Singapore under the Foreign Talent Scheme? Why are they so afraid to let the world know?

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Sport/Story/STIStory_569482.html

Aug 22, 2010
YOUTH OLYMPIC GAMES: SINGAPORE 2010
S'pore paddler in semis

By Gerard Wong

ln-paddler.jpg

ISABELLE Li is one step away from winning another medal for Singapore at the Youth Olympic Games.

The 15-year-old paddler, who reached the last eight after winning two of her three group stage matches on Sunday morning, entered the semi-finals of the girls singles competition after beating Romania's Bernadette Szocs 4-1 in their quarter-final clash on Sunday evening.

Buoyed by the partisan crowd support at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, the Singapore Sports School student made a promising start when she won her first set 11-8. But she then fell 5-11 as 15-year-old Szocs tied the game. However, Li, who had competed in over 20 international tournaments across four continents in preparation for the YOG, was unfazed and relied on her patient, defensive game to wear down Szocs and frustrate her.

The tactic worked. Constantly invited to go for the kill, Szocs made a string of errors which enabled Li to win the next two sets 11-5 and 11-8. An increasingly anxious and agitated Szocs went all out in the deciding set to try reduce the deficit, but Li proved to be a brick wall against her attacks and eventually won 11-7 to book her place in the last four.

Li will now face Thailand's Suthasini Sawettabut in the semi-finals on Monday morning (10am). Sawettabut had defeated Japan's Ayuka Tanioka 4-0 (11-7, 11-4, 12-10, 11-8) in their quarter-final match.

Singapore's Clarence Chew did not make it to the quarter-finals of the Boys' singles competition though. He was knocked out in the second round of the group stage after losing 2-3 to Stefan Leitgeb of Austria and Ojo Onaolapo of Nigeria.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is not advisable for girls to name Isabelle or similar... Parents pls take note. The name is a reference to a very wicked queen.

Last edited:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
We also have Tiffany, Joy and another I forgot what is the adopted name.

Happened to read some one-liner within a huge report that they been loosing tourament events recently to players with much lower in rankings, but the timely and credible The Good News Paper tried to hide the results.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We also have Tiffany, Joy and another I forgot what is the adopted name.

Happened to read some one-liner within a huge report that they been loosing tourament events recently to players with much lower in rankings, but the timely and credible The Good News Paper tried to hide the results.

If they had stuck to names like Ban Ping Pang..etc , eating rice with soy sauce, throw in a salt egg or some small silvers of fish & vegetables, they will still be winning medals; now they want foie gras with the money they pay them. In short, they lost their spurs...:o

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SG never had a truely born and bred medalist at the senior level. If she wins anything once she grows up then we know she isn't born here

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Li will now face Thailand's Suthasini Sawettabut in the semi-finals on Monday morning (10am). Sawettabut had defeated Japan's Ayuka Tanioka 4-0 (11-7, 11-4, 12-10, 11-8) in their quarter-final match.

Singapore's Clarence Chew did not make it to the quarter-finals of the Boys' singles competition though. He was knocked out in the second round of the group stage after losing 2-3 to Stefan Leitgeb of Austria and Ojo Onaolapo of Nigeria.

Why do chinks have to adopt Anglo names in the first place???:rolleyes: Just read the para above... there's a Thai with a Thai name, a Jap with a Jap name, an Austrian with an Austrian name and a Nigerian with a Nigerian name. The odd one out is of course the chinamen who goes by the name of "Clarence"!!! I'm sure his Chinese ancestors must be very proud of him for trying to hide his heritage.:rolleyes:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're absolutely right, SAM.

Why do chinks have to adopt Anglo names in the first place???:rolleyes: Just read the para above... there's a Thai with a Thai name, a Jap with a Jap name, an Austrian with an Austrian name and a Nigerian with a Nigerian name. The odd one out is of course the chinamen who goes by the name of "Clarence"!!! I'm sure his Chinese ancestors must be very proud of him for trying to hide his heritage.:rolleyes:

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isabelee is the new Ping Pong poster girl.

Bye bye Tiffany!

Today Online Logo
She is one fine Singapore Belle

Sports School table tennis student one match from girls' final
05:55 AM Aug 23, 2010
by Low Lin Fhoong

SINGAPORE - History beckons for Singapore paddler Isabelle Li, who will battle Suthasini Sawettabut of Thailand in the Youth Olympic Games table tennis girls' singles semi-finals at the Singapore Indoor Stadium this morning.

Seeded seventh, the 15-year-old Singapore Sports School student scored a 4-1 quarter-final upset over Romania's Bernadette Szocs (No 5) yesterday to earn her berth in the top four.

Both Isabelle and Suthasani have gone head to head in numerous competitions, with the Singapore Sports School student winning the last two encounters at the 2010 South-east Asian Junior Championships.

Isabelle beat the Thai 3-1 in the preliminary round of the team event and 4-1 in the girls' under-18 singles final.

When asked about her game-plan against the fourth seeded Thai, Isabelle, the Asian Youth Games bronze medallist (mixed team) chose to keep her cards close to her chest.

"You'll find out tomorrow. Our record is about 50-50 and it's very important for me to have a good mental game," she told MediaCorp, minutes after her quarter-final win.

"She's a very good all-rounded player and plays well against defensive players like me."

Isabelle, who will celebrate her 16th birthday on Saturday, admitted she had not expected to make the top four.

"I'm quite excited, and it hasn't sunk in yet as I wasn't expecting to get into the quarter-final even."

The plucky youngster recovered from a 3-2 loss to Ayuka Tanioka in the opening group stage on Saturday, finishing second to qualify for the next round.

Drawn against South Korea's Yang Ha Eun, Ariel Hsing of the United States and Croatia's Mateja Jeger in the second group stage, she posted two wins against one loss - going down to the South Korean - to qualify for the last eight.

Cheered on by a 1,000-strong crowd, which included Singapore Table Tennis Association president Lee Bee Wah, she won the first game against Bernadette 11-8, but lost the next 11-5.

A pep talk by coach Zu Haining did the trick for the youngster, who powered to a 11-5, 11-8, 11-7 victory in the next three games to wrap up the win.

The other semi-final today will see favourite, China's Gu Yuting, take on Ha Eun in what should be a tasty encounter.
URL http://www.todayonline.com/YOG/EDC100823-0000067/She-is-one-fine-Singapore-Belle

Copyright 2010 MediaCorp Pte Ltd | All Rights Reserved

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Three of Singapore's top paddlers have taken on English names to better integrate into local society."?????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Let me see if I understand this right.... in order to some gooks from one Asian country to integrate with gooks from another Asian country, they have to take take on names from Ang Moh Land thousands of miles away from both????:confused:

england.jpg

I've never heard of anything more ludicrous in all my life!:rolleyes: