• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man fined $200 for sleeping on bench at the park

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180092,00.html?

Man fined $200 for sleeping on bench
'I didn't know it was an offence'
By Lediati Tan

October 15, 2008

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_LTBENCH-RAD.jpg

HOW HE GOT INTO TROUBLE: Mr Kassim showing how he dozed off at Sun Plaza Park. TNP PICTURES: KUA CHEE SIONG, JONATHAN CHOO

IT was a 15-minute nap on a park bench. And it cost him $200 - equivalent to a comfortable night's stay in a three-star hotel complete with a soft bed and fluffy pillows.

He had dozed off on a Sun Plaza Park bench while taking shelter from the rain.

For doing so, the 62-year-old private bus driver, who wanted to be known only as Mr Kassim, was fined $200 by the National Parks Board (NParks).

The agency said Mr Kassim had misused the park facility by sleeping on the bench.

On 1 Sep this year, Mr Kassim was cycling near the park in Tampines when it began to drizzle. He decided to wait out the rain in a shelter at the park.

It was pouring heavily by the time he reached the shelter, so he lay down on one of the wooden benches, and dozed off after about five minutes.

'About 15 minutes later, I opened my eyes and saw that the rain was about to stop,' Mr Kassim told The New Paper.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_LTBENCH-NM3.jpg

FORBIDDEN: A man spotted snoozing in a park in Bishan.

'I saw two men walking towards me. I didn't know who they were. I closed my eyes again.

'Then I heard someone shouting, 'Wake up, wake up!' in Malay.'

When Mr Kassim opened his eyes, he saw the two men towering over him. They identified themselves as NParks rangers.

They asked for his identity card, which he gave to them.

But Mr Kassim was puzzled.

'I asked them, 'What have I done wrong?'

'They told me I had abused park facilities by sleeping on the park bench. They then issued me a ticket.'

Mr Kassim did not know that it was an offence to sleep on a park bench. But he accepted the ticket.

An NParks spokesman told The New Paper that Mr Kassim was fined as he 'was found sleeping in the park shelter with his colleague, and had repeatedly ignored our ranger's actions to wake him up'.

But Mr Kassim claimed that he woke up as soon as the rangers told him to, and that he was at the park alone.

He said there was another man also sleeping on another bench in the same shelter, but he did not know the man.

He claimed that the rangers approached the man and another man who was lying on the bench in the opposite shelter.

'It was the first time I'd fallen asleep in Sun Plaza Park,' said Mr Kassim, who lives in Pasir Ris.

It was also his first time at Sun Plaza Park.

'I've fallen asleep on benches in Pasir Ris Park before and nothing happened to me,' he said.

Five days after he was issued the ticket, Mr Kassim received a letter from NParks detailing his offence and asking him to pay the $200 fine.

When he went down to the NParks office to pay the fine, he claimed that he was told by a staff member that he could appeal.

Mr Kassim decided against appealing. It was too much trouble, he said.

He called The New Paper because he wanted to warn others about this little-known rule, lest they be fined too.

'I think most people don't know this. I'm the unlucky one, so I want to tell people not to sleep in parks, or they may end up like me having to pay $200,' he said with a laugh.

The New Paper asked eight regular park-goers if they knew that sleeping on park benches was an offence. None was aware. (See report on facing page.)

The NParks spokesman said: 'We try to create the conditions that make visitors feel at ease when they come to our parks. When people abuse our parks by overstaying or squatting, they make genuine park users feel uncomfortable.

'Others sleep on benches or in shelters in an inconsiderate manner and deny park users from using these facilities.

'During their daily patrols, our rangers will advise people who sleep or squat in our parks to stop misusing our park facilities.'

Since June this year, more than 10 people have been fined for misusing the facilities in the parks, the spokesman added. He did not say if these specifically involved sleeping on park benches.

But Mr Kassim pointed out that if sleeping on park benches was an offence, there should be signs to tell people.

On the NParks website, there is a list of 'Dos' and 'Don'ts' for visiting parks.

Sleeping on a park bench was not among the 'Don'ts', though there is a disclaimer which said the list was 'not exhaustive or intended to be a complete list of the prohibitions or regulations governing our parks'.

It also stated that 'any omission does not constitute a waiver of any offence'.

Park visitors can refer to the Parks and Trees Act 2005 and the Parks and Trees Regulations 2005, the website said.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,180091,00.html?

READERS SAY:
October 15, 2008

MADAM MAK LAI KAM, 55, HOUSEWIFE WHO VISITS BUKIT BATOK PARK

'I've never heard that you can get fined for sleeping in parks. I think it's not fair to fine people. NParks should just give a warning letter. There are also no signs to say that you cannot sleep on park benches.'

DR HUANG ZIJUAN, 24, MEDICAL HOUSEMAN

'I think that the rule on not sleeping in parks makes sense. It can be dangerous to sleep in parks because they can get robbed while sleeping. It's also not a pleasant sight. But to be fined the first time for sleeping in parks is a bit too much. They should be given a warning first. If the (offenders) refuse to leave, they should be fined.'

MADAM QUEK SUU HWANG, 54, HOUSEWIFE

'If the person is only sleeping, it's okay. (He should not be fined) unless he is being a public nuisance by behaving inappropriately and engaging in actions that cause discomfort to other park visitors.'

What are your views? Contact us to let us know
SPEAK UP

Call: 1800 733 44 55
E-mail: [email protected]

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Familee is trying to pre-empt the unemployed and homeless from being showing themselves to the public, so that they could claim that Peesai has done well and justify another pay hike!

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is no signboard at all, only a website with a list of dos and donts, and sleeping on bench is not inside the list.

Yet he is willing to pay, he must belong to the 66.6%.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really fucktards these ppl....ppl already very poor and tired...and they choose to fine them...instead of verbal warning.

Next time these officers tio simi financial difficulty...pray hard they dun sleep on the bench...not even on the roads...Obstruction!!!

Really fucktards.

:mad: :( :mad:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tis is 2 much! :mad: :mad: :mad:

juz like ... dey happy-happy or dey not happy wif u ... dey fine u ... :mad:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Peasants are deprived of that little freedom in our life. Even sleeping openly is not free in Singapore. I am sure those officers will find themselves buzy fining old men sleeping in china town benches.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do??

Pay them to guard MSK oso cannot guard well.
Pay them to hunt for MSK oso cannot find.

So the best they can do is fine those poor & helpless people.

Reading this piece of news...really makes my blood boil.
Who likes to sleep outside if there is a comfortable bed back home??!!

Are they really losing touch whatz happening outside?
Fucktards!!!!

:mad: :o :mad:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope Mr Kassim will not pay the fine. Let the kangaroo court decide, if he put in jail. Then we have big CASE. Sleeping in PARK is a serious offence let the whole world laughing. No human right even in PARK.
If I were him I will no pay. In court is my word against the ranger. If I go to jail, I will make a big news and make sure the ranger will be popular by printing photo and name of the ranger in front page. Let all people spit on the ranger face.

TaikoTai

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's bloody NParks fault... Really bodoh... Never put up sign, never inform public, only put in their website. U think everyone free is it wanna see ur website?

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
DR HUANG ZIJUAN, 24, MEDICAL HOUSEMAN

'I think that the rule on not sleeping in parks makes sense. It can be dangerous to sleep in parks because they can get robbed while sleeping. It's also not a pleasant sight. But to be fined the first time for sleeping in parks is a bit too much. They should be given a warning first. If the (offenders) refuse to leave, they should be fined.'

Well, he did get robbed.... of $200.

Heartless, is all I can think of, these elitists.