• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

France players in mutiny over Nicolas Anelka exclusion

S

Sakon Shima

F
rance players in mutiny over Nicolas Anelka exclusion

France's World Cup team refused to train today in protest against Nicolas Anelka's expulsion from the squad.

Published: 4:23PM BST 20 Jun 2010

domenec_reuters_1662153c.jpg

Disarray: France coach Raymond Domenech has seen his side mutiny after a training pitch bust up. Photo: REUTERS

Anelka was kicked off the team for a profanity-laced tirade against coach Raymond Domenech, whose tactics and management skills have been called into question.

"The French Football Federation did not at any time try to protect the group. They took a decision uniquely based on facts reported by the press," Domenech said, reading a statement on behalf of the players.

<!-- BEFORE ACI -->
  • Anelka refused to apologise, says Domenech
  • 'France squad traitor must be found'
  • Anelka joins hall of shame
  • Domenech: a 'human comedy'
  • Media attacks World Cup teams
  • Nicolas Anelka denies foul-mouthed tirade

"As a consequence and to show our opposition to the decision taken by officials of the federation, all the players decided not to take part in today's training session."

The latest chaotic scene also led to the resignation of France team director Jean-Louis Valentin. "It's a scandal for the French, for the young people here. It's a scandal for the federation and the French team," Valentin said. "They don't want to train. It's unacceptable. "As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted," said Valentin, who walked away from the training field, got into a car and drove off.

The team arrived at training as usual Sunday and got off the bus to greet fans, but Domenech and France captain Patrice Evra stayed on the bus longer to talk. When Domenech and Evra finally disembarked, fitness coach Robert Duverne was on the field putting down training cones. Evra then got into an argument with Duverne and Domenech walked over to intervene.

Duverne then stormed off, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground.
Evra then handed a letter to the press officer, and the players, en masse, boarded the team bus and drew the curtains. The bus has yet to leave the area. About 200 fans soon started walking away. France drew 0-0 with Uruguay and then lost 2-0 to Mexico in their opening World Cup matches. But they can still advance to the knockout stages with a win over host South Africa, as long as Uruguay and Mexico don't draw in the other Group A match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yue Ying

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

domenech_afp_1662199i.jpg

There's a clear problem in the camp as the players struggle to look Raymond Domenech in the eye.

francesquad_afp_1662212i.jpg

Fallacy: as Domenech talks to his squad, very few seem to be attentive to what he's saying.

squad_reuters_1662202i.jpg

All in this together: the French squad congregate and discuss their imminent refusal to train.

leavingfield_reute_1662207i.jpg

Field of nightmares: despite training at the Field of Dreams stadium in Knysna,
the name means little and it quickly turns sour as the players leave the session as one.

returntobus_reuter_1662204i.jpg

Going home: the squad march back on to the bus as a stunned football world watches on.

knysya_reuters_1662208i.jpg

The bus, which contains the entire playing squad, leaves the training pitch, giving a new meaning to the slogan on the side of the bus.

Yue Ying

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

statement2_afp_1662201i.jpg

Domenech delivers the statement on behalf of the France national squad.

fieldofdreams_afp_1662205i.jpg

Coach Raymond Domenech looks like he hasn't a friend in the world as he reads out the squad's statement to hoards of photographers and journalists.

statement_afp_1662200i.jpg

After his squad has left him, the coach faces the world's media.

francepress_afp_1662213i.jpg

Domenech can barely be seen as the media circle him; it will only become more intense as the week goes on.

jeanlouisvalentin__1662209i.jpg

I quit: Jean Louis Valentin storms out of the training session after hearing of the squad's mutiny,
and later quits his role in the French Football Federation.