• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

thaman say safe safe safe but he only up to 20K

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
really lousy financial minister.

=============

Wed, Oct 08, 2008
The Straits Times

Financial system here safe: Tharman

By Li Xueying

THE questions came fast and furious: How well are insurance policies protected? Are offshore banks safe? Can the Government make banks raise the guaranteed amount for deposits?

In an uncertain economic climate that has seen seemingly rock-solid financial institutions in the United States topple one after another, anxious residents yesterday quizzed the Finance Minister himself on Singapore's financial system.

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam assured them Singapore is 'not in the same situation as the US'.

'We need not panic,' he told residents at a dialogue in Toa Payoh East.

One resident noted that if there is a run on a bank here, depositors are protected for up to $20,000 in their accounts. 'I think many of us have more than $20,000. Can the minister do something to make the bank increase the guaranteed amount?' he asked.

Mr Tharman replied: 'I can assure you our Singapore banks are well regulated and there is no risk and no reason whatsoever to have a run on our banks.'

Singapore has been 'old-fashioned' in its strict regulatory approach to make sure banks have adequate assets, and do not over-lend to property owners.

'So frankly, you need not worry about how solid our banks are, your money is safe,' he said.

If banks are made to increase the guaranteed amount from $20,000, it will mean higher costs, ultimately borne by the customer. 'So I would say this system is better: regulate the banks well, keep deposit insurance cost low.'

To another resident who wanted to know how well-protected Singaporeans' insurance is, Mr Tharman stated categorically: 'You can have equal confidence in our insurers.

'Any insurance company operating in Singapore, including the foreign companies, have to abide by strict regulations.'

As for offshore banks, they are required to maintain assets in Singapore to meet their liabilities, he added.

'It is not possible for anyone to say all banks are safe, but what I can say is our local banks are safe, and foreign banks in Singapore are subject to tighter regulations compared to most other places.'

Ultimately, consumers must have their eyes open when going to financial institutions, and judge where their money is safe, he said. 'This is a responsibility that you have. Especially when people offer you higher interest or higher returns, your eyes must open even wider.'

The minister repeated this point when telling reporters later that there were lessons to be gleaned from the crisis.

The system can be improved, he acknowledged, whether on the part of the regulator, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS); financial institutions; or the consumer.

'The MAS approach is one that balances regulation with responsibility on the part of the institution and the investor. All three play a part, and in all three areas, I'm sure there can be improvements, coming out of the recent problems.'

But he warned against over-regulating, saying risk is inherent in the system.

'We have to avoid swinging in a pendulum-like fashion when it comes to the regulation of financial products.

'There have to be improvements in marketing and selling and disclosure. There are learning points coming out from the recent problems.

'(But) let's not swing to over-regulation because that is going to increase costs and it's going to reduce the range of products that meet everyone's needs.'

He cited as an example Lehman Bonds, which, as late as July, were rated A1 by credit-rating agency Moody's. The highest rating is Aaa.

'Should MAS say A1 bonds should not be bought by people? I think that would be over-regulation, but it turned out that Lehman Bonds went bust.

'So it's an example of how there is risk in the system, there is no way you can get it out of the picture by over-regulation unless you over-regulate to the extent you cut out options to sensible investors.

'So let's find a suitable middle ground (to) improve the system

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
If banks are made to increase the guaranteed amount from $20,000, it will mean higher costs, ultimately borne by the customer. 'So I would say this system is better: regulate the banks well, keep deposit insurance cost low.'

If like he says, banks are safe here, then the insurance premium for upping the guaranteed amount to say $150k, should be negligible. I'm sure customers don't mind paying for that peace of mind. If premiums are high, it means the risk is high, so how to assure us banks are safe? :confused:

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
If like he says, banks are safe here, then the insurance premium for upping the guaranteed amount to say $150k, should be negligible. I'm sure customers don't mind paying for that peace of mind. If premiums are high, it means the risk is high, so how to assure us banks are safe? :confused:

yar lor. Somemore with good regulation like he say then NOW is the time to really UP THE ANTE and go on the offensive and say blanket coverage for all qualifying banks. This way , the OUT OF THE BOX thinking will attract money into singapore banks from uneasy rich people in china , indonesia and malaysia. Thaman should go retake his own primary school gifted education program into order to increase his out of box thinking.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone here keeps forgetting about the CPF which is also implicitly under guarantee and stated in another thread by myself.

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually if someone has more funds than 20k, and the main requirement is to keep them in cash.

Well, the amount guranteed is 20k SGD per bank, so if you have 100k, deposit 20k in 5 banks.
With effect from 1 April 2006, the Deposit Insurance Scheme administered by the Singapore Deposit Insurance Corporation will provide insurance coverage to individuals and charities in respect of their accounts that are eligible for deposit insurance.

Under the Deposit Insurance Scheme, the insurance coverage provided to an insured depositor is limited to S$20,000 in respect of the aggregate of all the depositor's insured deposits with a scheme member.
http://www.sdic.org.sg/

List of banks here.
http://www.sdic.org.sg/scheme_members.html

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Everyone here keeps forgetting about the CPF which is also implicitly under guarantee and stated in another thread by myself.

But u choose to forget that the piggy bank is already empty from the MASSIVE LOSSES incurred by your owners during their shopping trips to satisfy their insatiable greed and lumber 1 ego. Like Wooden, u're suffering from terrible amnesia or blain poisoning from excessive bootlicking? :eek:

papa san

Alfrescian
Loyal
yar lor. Somemore with good regulation like he say then NOW is the time to really UP THE ANTE and go on the offensive and say blanket coverage for all qualifying banks. This way , the OUT OF THE BOX thinking will attract money into singapore banks from uneasy rich people in china , indonesia and malaysia. Thaman should go retake his own primary school gifted education program into order to increase his out of box thinking.

This mama is contradicting himself. If banks in Singapore so safe, then should increase the deposit guarantee even more than the USA , maybe US$ 500k for a start. If you want to attract rich individuals putting their money here in Singapore banks, then $20k guarantee is just PEANUTS.

From his very elementary reasoning, it is unlikely that he will meet the selection criteria even to be considered for his own primary school gifted education . The best education for him is to first learn the art of farting properly so that people will not be put off by his foul fart.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
20k sdg is peanuts compare to other countries guarantee

does pap want local bank to fail

does they want to see people lining up for days to withdraw their money

then they act

what we paid them millions for?

ForzaFerrari88

Alfrescian
Loyal
really lousy financial minister.

=============

Wed, Oct 08, 2008
The Straits Times

By Li Xueying

THE questions came fast and furious: How well are insurance policies protected? Are offshore banks safe? Can the Government make banks raise the guaranteed amount for deposits?

In an uncertain economic climate that has seen seemingly rock-solid financial institutions in the United States topple one after another, anxious residents yesterday quizzed the Finance Minister himself on Singapore's financial system.

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam assured them Singapore is 'not in the same situation as the US'.

'We need not panic,' he told residents at a dialogue in Toa Payoh East.

One resident noted that if there is a run on a bank here, depositors are protected for up to $20,000 in their accounts. 'I think many of us have more than $20,000. Can the minister do something to make the bank increase the guaranteed amount?' he asked.

Mr Tharman replied: 'I can assure you our Singapore banks are well regulated and there is no risk and no reason whatsoever to have a run on our banks.'

Singapore has been 'old-fashioned' in its strict regulatory approach to make sure banks have adequate assets, and do not over-lend to property owners.

'So frankly, you need not worry about how solid our banks are, your money is safe,' he said.

To another resident who wanted to know how well-protected Singaporeans' insurance is, Mr Tharman stated categorically: 'You can have equal confidence in our insurers.

'Any insurance company operating in Singapore, including the foreign companies, have to abide by strict regulations.'

As for offshore banks, they are required to maintain assets in Singapore to meet their liabilities, he added.

'It is not possible for anyone to say all banks are safe, but what I can say is our local banks are safe, and foreign banks in Singapore are subject to tighter regulations compared to most other places.'

Ultimately, consumers must have their eyes open when going to financial institutions, and judge where their money is safe, he said. 'This is a responsibility that you have. Especially when people offer you higher interest or higher returns, your eyes must open even wider.'

The minister repeated this point when telling reporters later that there were lessons to be gleaned from the crisis.

The system can be improved, he acknowledged, whether on the part of the regulator, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS); financial institutions; or the consumer.

'The MAS approach is one that balances regulation with responsibility on the part of the institution and the investor. All three play a part, and in all three areas, I'm sure there can be improvements, coming out of the recent problems.'

But he warned against over-regulating, saying risk is inherent in the system.

'We have to avoid swinging in a pendulum-like fashion when it comes to the regulation of financial products.

'There have to be improvements in marketing and selling and disclosure. There are learning points coming out from the recent problems.

'(But) let's not swing to over-regulation because that is going to increase costs and it's going to reduce the range of products that meet everyone's needs.'

He cited as an example Lehman Bonds, which, as late as July, were rated A1 by credit-rating agency Moody's. The highest rating is Aaa.

'Should MAS say A1 bonds should not be bought by people? I think that would be over-regulation, but it turned out that Lehman Bonds went bust.

'So it's an example of how there is risk in the system, there is no way you can get it out of the picture by over-regulation unless you over-regulate to the extent you cut out options to sensible investors.

'So let's find a suitable middle ground (to) improve the system

This is precisely the problem which the financial community-G7,G20 is trying to address. You will see capital flight if this problem lands on our doorstep. Then again wat can we possibly expect from substandard ministers.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

safe? come on, guarantee my savings 100% and i'll place all my savings in that single bank, if the bank can't guarantee my savings, why should i even deposit my money in the bank in the first place? i need to pay the bank to insure my own savings??? where is my milo tin now? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SevenEleven

Alfrescian
Loyal
The then DPM also assured that CLOB is legal in Sinagpore and all is well and safe.....then the next moment, investors are suppose to take the risk in investing in CLOB.

If you can fully believed in what they say, the SOW can also climb up a tree

Manchu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, like most Indians with the gift of the gab, what do you expect ?

Best way to deal with this is " one ear in, one ear out". I think he will make a good Foreign Minister for Singapore, much better than the present incumbent from Serangoon GRC .