• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you're planning to renounce Singapore citizenship: A word of caution

cheongster123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation.

Whatever misgivings you may have about Singapore, the fact remains that Singapore is still your home. In a foreign country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, wherever) you are and always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice.

Want to rough it out for a few years overseas? Gain overseas work experience? Gain overseas life experience? Take up a second citizenship like what many other Singaporeans have done? (by right and by Singapore law dual-citizenship is disallowed, but by left, well just "don't ask, don't tell"). By all means do so. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has been publicly prosecuted for holding dual citizenship? No, I didn't think so. As long as you're not a trouble-maker and not publicly bad-mouthing anyone, no one will give you any trouble. Until you actually receive official notice from the Singapore Immigration Authority, why not just continue to tread that fine line? You have nothing to lose. Or just continue holding on to your Australian PR and renew it every few years when the time comes. You can call both Singapore and Australia home.

DO NOT give up your Singapore citizenship. Don't burn all your bridges. Retain your Singapore citizenship because eventualities will arise, and you will be grateful that you still have a way out, you still have a way back home.

Do not learn things the hard way. Take this piece of advice: do not give up Singapore citizenship. If anything untoward happens to you and you find yourself a victim in your new adopted home, viciously harrassed and harangued on all sides, you will have no way out and you will be well and truly alone. You will well and truly be at the mercy of your enemies. You may be temperate and peaceable, not the type to make an enemy out of anyone, wanting nothing more than a happy and peaceable life, but there will be legions out there who will only be too glad to make an enemy out of you for no other reason than because of your ethnicity and the fact that you are a foreigner.

In a foreign land, you are nothing more than a resource to be exploited. The attitude taken towards you will be clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Excellent trolling. Detailed enough to sound serious. Ridiculous enough to evoke a strong reaction.:p

G

Guile

And you've just registered hours ago.. I'd be kind enough to give you an audience.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok I will bite - so how come Singaporeans and ex-singaporeans that you know can't handle themselves in 1st world countries. I see even PRC chinese doing very well in these places.

Most people would like to hold on to their citizenship as it gives them options but those with substantial CPF should have their heads examined for the returns are puny and the danger that it cannot be withdrawn in totality is always looming. As it is most Singaporeans will no longer see a lumpsum.

Seriously, if you can't make it in a 1st world country with backup welfare safety net and a whole host of support mechanism, one must surely be a failure and it makes little difference if you are in Singapore or elsewhere.

I recall Melbourne and Adelaide had Chinese mayors whose accent was pretty thick and strong. By the way both cities had small chinese minorities and I wonder how they got elecSo what exploitation?

I cited 2 factual examples, could you reciprocate.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok I will bite - so how come Singaporeans and ex-singaporeans that you know can't handle themselves in 1st world countries. I see even PRC chinese doing very well in these places.

Most people would like to hold on to their citizenship as it gives them options but those with substantial CPF should have their heads examined for the returns are puny and the danger that it cannot be withdrawn in totality is always looming. As it is most Singaporeans will no longer see a lumpsum.

Seriously, if you can't make it in a 1st world country with backup welfare safety net and a whole host of support mechanism, one must surely be a failure and it makes little difference if you are in Singapore or elsewhere.

I recall Melbourne and Adelaide had Chinese mayors whose accent was pretty thick and strong. By the way both cities had small chinese minorities and I wonder how they got elecSo what exploitation?

You're right! The only logical reason for renouncing Singapore citizenship is to get hold of one's substantial amount of cpf money. If there's little money in cpf, keep your citizenship, it's your birth right.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation..

You have no idea how much the CPF withdrawal have helped me.. Instead of sitting at pathetic 2.5% interest & large sum to be retained by the govt until death, my CPF funds have increased by >500% for the past 5yrs.

Giving up citizenship is a sad thing.. but giving up the opportunity is the saddest thing of all..

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation.

Whatever misgivings you may have about Singapore, the fact remains that Singapore is still your home. In a foreign country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, wherever) you are and always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice.

Wah... nothing like the smell of fresh bullshit early in the morning...

Firstly, Sinkies who regret giving up their citizenship are nothing but balless cowards. They are like those Sinkies who returned cause they missed their Laksa or Char Kway Teow. Pathetic! At this point the forum description of Emigration Matters is so appropriate: The strong survive, the weak die halfway and the cowards never leave.

Secondly, "home" is just a concept. "Home" can be changed. Only Sinkie retards feel an attachment to "home". Of course you will face some racism, and the degree various from country to country.... that's only natural. Of course you will be disadvantaged versus the native born locals. HOWEVER, if you didn't realize by now, the native born Sinkies in this sinking country are already being discriminated and marginalized. Sinkies are 3rd class citizens in this tiny red dot (the 1st class being the PAP elite and 2nd class being the foreign trash). I would rather be a 2nd class citizen in a first world, developed and civilized country like Australia / NZ / Canada / UK / US.

Want to rough it out for a few years overseas? Gain overseas work experience? Gain overseas life experience? Take up a second citizenship like what many other Singaporeans have done? (by right and by Singapore law dual-citizenship is disallowed, but by left, well just "don't ask, don't tell"). By all means do so. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has been publicly prosecuted for holding dual citizenship? No, I didn't think so. As long as you're not a trouble-maker and not publicly bad-mouthing anyone, no one will give you any trouble. Until you actually receive official notice from the Singapore Immigration Authority, why not just continue to tread that fine line? You have nothing to lose. Or just continue holding on to your Australian PR and renew it every few years when the time comes. You can call both Singapore and Australia home.

This only works if your nest egg for retirement is not held hostage in the ponzi scheme called CPF. This only works for the younger dudes and not the older generation. There is only one good reason of retaining Sinkie citizenship - The red passport makes travel very convenient. That's ALL. Is your retirement money worth the convenience of a red passport?

DO NOT give up your Singapore citizenship. Don't burn all your bridges. Retain your Singapore citizenship because eventualities will arise, and you will be grateful that you still have a way out, you still have a way back home.

Eventualities like what? Unless the country you to migrated exploded with civil war, there is hardly any compelling reason to return home. What's the odds of that occurring?

Do not learn things the hard way. Take this piece of advice: do not give up Singapore citizenship. If anything untoward happens to you and you find yourself a victim in your new adopted home, viciously harrassed and harangued on all sides, you will have no way out and you will be well and truly alone. You will well and truly be at the mercy of your enemies. You may be temperate and peaceable, not the type to make an enemy out of anyone, wanting nothing more than a happy and peaceable life, but there will be legions out there who will only be too glad to make an enemy out of you for no other reason than because of your ethnicity and the fact that you are a foreigner.

Unlike Sinkapore, which is such a homogeneously deficient country (i.e. everywhere is the same old shit), most developed nations are heterogeneous and have a very diverse population with different sub-cultures depending on geographical region. If you really landed up in a bad racist area... just move to another part of the country.

If you're really that scared about racism, move to a more cosmopolitan city. The population there will be more ethnically diverse and the level of bigotry will be less.

In a foreign land, you are nothing more than a resource to be exploited. The attitude taken towards you will be clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation.

The above statement is not always true. However, the following statement IS true:

In Sinkapore Inc., you are nothing than a mere digit (to use LKY words) for exploitation. In Sinkapore Inc., the attitude taken towards you IS clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation. And once Sinkapore Inc. is done with you (i.e. have no further use of you), they will dump you out with the rest of the trash and leave you to die!

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So I see the nick formerly known as senatorbuderlai has morphed once again.

I'll wait for the posts when he starts talking to himself

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
So I see the nick formerly known as senatorbuderlai has morphed once again.

I'll wait for the posts when he starts talking to himself

I wonder does Sam allow multiple nicks per email address. Why not restrict one nick one email address? At least it would make things harder for the clones.

cheongster123

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...with substantial CPF should have their heads examined for the returns are puny and the danger that it cannot be withdrawn in totality is always looming. As it is most Singaporeans will no longer see a lumpsum."
on what basis do you say this?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1. It is good advice to the FTs now living in Singapore. Because we know the Singaporean govt too well.

2. The Singaporean govt is the ONE WHO BURNS the bridge for Singaporeans overseas. Many enlightened govts around the world treat their ex-citizens better, even India (who rejected a tax on Non-Residential Indians) and China (overseas Chinese welcome, including Lee Kuan Yew).

If an ex-Singaporean wins a Nobel Prize, I believe that the Singaporean govt will reclaim its quitter and called that person "Singapore-born" to share in the glory.
If the Chinese ping-pong players wins a championship for Singapore, they also became more "Singaporean" in the minds of that govt, compared to the stupid ones serving NS.

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're right! The only logical reason for renouncing Singapore citizenship is to get hold of one's substantial amount of cpf money. If there's little money in cpf, keep your citizenship, it's your birth right.

I'm curious - has anyone been forced by the SG govt to renounce their SG citizenship when it was discovered that they have acquired another citizenship?

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buddy, I left SG more than 10 years ago. Everyone on this forum knows when I formally renounced SG two years ago.

After a recent visit to Singapore and ten years later, all I can say is I should have left sooner. I cant believe how much better my personal life and my family is doing outside of SG. I come on here, read the ongoing SG nonsense, tell the wife and we are both so thankful we left, and only wish we did it earlier instead of waiting around for a few years. Sometimes we sit at the dinner table discussing the latest from SG and marvel how we ever survived such bullshit.

After 10 years I only miss 2 things from Singapore: Friends/family and the food. Now in my city here we have a few SG/Malaysian restuarants so we have it all now; so I only miss some family and friends now.

I know why I dont miss Singapore any more. Its because there is nothing to miss.

The best part of my recent trip to Singapore: catching up with family, friends. And the next best bit was the departure lounge at the airport. I could not wait to get out of SG.

So dont preach your crap here as an ex-SG is precisely that: No longer a Singapore person.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Red,

You have changed too !..

Please don't give up on SG.. Its your country ! You have a few more rounds of reservists to complete.

axe

Buddy, I left SG more than 10 years ago. Everyone on this forum knows when I formally renounced SG two years ago.

After a recent visit to Singapore and ten years later, all I can say is I should have left sooner. I cant believe how much better my personal life and my family is doing outside of SG. I come on here, read the ongoing SG nonsense, tell the wife and we are both so thankful we left, and only wish we did it earlier instead of waiting around for a few years. Sometimes we sit at the dinner table discussing the latest from SG and marvel how we ever survived such bullshit.

After 10 years I only miss 2 things from Singapore: Friends/family and the food. Now in my city here we have a few SG/Malaysian restuarants so we have it all now; so I only miss some family and friends now.

I know why I dont miss Singapore any more. Its because there is nothing to miss.

The best part of my recent trip to Singapore: catching up with family, friends. And the next best bit was the departure lounge at the airport. I could not wait to get out of SG.

So dont preach your crap here as an ex-SG is precisely that: No longer a Singapore person.

lost4wordz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't waste time staying in sinkapore. Get another countries PR use the Passport of sinkapore as your advantage. KNN sinkapore people so kaypoh all
baotohkia (snitch) not safe living in a place like this. No freedom of anything can tahan meh?? :oIo:Sinkapore

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
not so easy to renew PR unless you stay 4 out of 5 years every batch of 5 years...so effectively, you are only in Singapore for 2 years out of 10 years.

what about your job then? quit every 1 year of 5 years of work and then all over again ?????

I understand that once you take back your CPF, the SG govt will send you a nasty letter to ask you to get lost...

so the KEY to survive is to be involve in a community and have friends and close knitted friend and you can survive...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 2 years or qualifying period for the western countries can be done by your family member such as wife and kids and they will accommodate you. There are also other options.

1) Get their citizenship and come back to work here on employment passholder. There is no difference between a citizen and resident except for a few token dollars.

2) If you have little CPF, don't take it out and get dual citizenship and there is no law against it.

Quite a number of sr civil servants, including judges are doing the same.

The world is global, get use to it.

not so easy to renew PR unless you stay 4 out of 5 years every batch of 5 years...so effectively, you are only in Singapore for 2 years out of 10 years.

what about your job then? quit every 1 year of 5 years of work and then all over again ?????

I understand that once you take back your CPF, the SG govt will send you a nasty letter to ask you to get lost...

so the KEY to survive is to be involve in a community and have friends and close knitted friend and you can survive...