• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Need help - sibling with mental illness at home

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I have a sister who is mentally unsound - 38 years old who is jobless and always quarrel with parents. Sometimes she threaten to burn the house down. She has been diagnose with psychosis 3 to 4 years back. But because she refuses to seek treatment, her condition has worsen to this state.

Can anyone advice what are the possible thing to do? e.g. are there any institution who can forcefully remove her from the house for treatment? I've checked IMH website, but they do'nt seems to offer such service.:mad:

Thanks.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not know if this is one of those 'bluff' posts, but i will take the risk.

(1) She is 38, jobless, presumably single(?)....so her quarrels with her parents and her violence probably stems from inner issues of deep dissatisfaction.

(1a) She definitely needs counselling, a program to get back into the mainstream of life and possibly some medication to help her over this period.

(1b) Avoid IMH because they are staffed with psychatrists and all they are good for are to give medication. Try to see a psychologist (cannot prescribe medicine) or a psychotherapist (can prescribe medicine). Try NUH, Counselling and Care centre, Family Service Centres (Fei Yue comes to mind)

(1c) It is not easy for her because judging from your use of the word 'jobless' you have already made a moral judgment against her. She would have felt that.

(1d) Help her to find some release, maybe by enrolling her in an art course or any hobby. Encourage her to take on part-time work even if it is only for a few hours a day. Help her to earn a living. Encourage her each time she makes some headway.

(1e) A traumatic event must had happened to her 3-4 years back. She lost her self-esteem then. A good counsellor will know when is the right time to broach the subject with her. In the meantime if you know what it is, avoid that subject and help her to think of positive things.

She is your sister. Help her through this period. What counts is a hug, not condemning words.

That's all i can think of for now.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I have a sister who is mentally unsound - 38 years old who is jobless and always quarrel with parents. Sometimes she threaten to burn the house down. She has been diagnose with psychosis 3 to 4 years back. But because she refuses to seek treatment, her condition has worsen to this state.

Can anyone advice what are the possible thing to do? e.g. are there any institution who can forcefully remove her from the house for treatment? I've checked IMH website, but they do'nt seems to offer such service.:mad:

Thanks.

I suggest you bring her to consult a psychiatrist for further treatment, there are medications that can help control her

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice. But for many years, we all have been very patient towards her. Yes, I agree that initially, the family keeps nagging at her to get a job. But she keeps getting more and more defiant and always look for little things to pick a quarrel with anyone. There is no peace in the house as it's always filled with her scream and door slamming.

The biggest problem is she does not accept that she has mental problem. (although a few years back, she visiting a psychiatrist who diagnose her with psychosis). As long as she refuse to admit she has mental problem, it's not possible for her to seek or accept help. Thats why we have to resort to looking for ways where she can be forcefully be removed for treatment.

Perhaps I've watch too much slapstick HK movies, but I've seen these people being forcefully removed in a straight jacket.

I do not know if this is one of those 'bluff' posts, but i will take the risk.

(1) She is 38, jobless, presumably single(?)....so her quarrels with her parents and her violence probably stems from inner issues of deep dissatisfaction.

(1a) She definitely needs counselling, a program to get back into the mainstream of life and possibly some medication to help her over this period.

(1b) Avoid IMH because they are staffed with psychatrists and all they are good for are to give medication. Try to see a psychologist (cannot prescribe medicine) or a psychotherapist (can prescribe medicine). Try NUH, Counselling and Care centre, Family Service Centres (Fei Yue comes to mind)

(1c) It is not easy for her because judging from your use of the word 'jobless' you have already made a moral judgment against her. She would have felt that.

(1d) Help her to find some release, maybe by enrolling her in an art course or any hobby. Encourage her to take on part-time work even if it is only for a few hours a day. Help her to earn a living. Encourage her each time she makes some headway.

(1e) A traumatic event must had happened to her 3-4 years back. She lost her self-esteem then. A good counsellor will know when is the right time to broach the subject with her. In the meantime if you know what it is, avoid that subject and help her to think of positive things.

She is your sister. Help her through this period. What counts is a hug, not condemning words.

That's all i can think of for now.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice. But for many years, we all have been very patient towards her. Yes, I agree that initially, the family keeps nagging at her to get a job. But she keeps getting more and more defiant and always look for little things to pick a quarrel with anyone. There is no peace in the house as it's always filled with her scream and door slamming.

The biggest problem is she does not accept that she has mental problem. (although a few years back, she visiting a psychiatrist who diagnose her with psychosis). As long as she refuse to admit she has mental problem, it's not possible for her to seek or accept help. Thats why we have to resort to looking for ways where she can be forcefully be removed for treatment.

Perhaps I've watch too much slapstick HK movies, but I've seen these people being forcefully removed in a straight jacket.

These are common symtoms, you all should not pressure her and be nice and more patient. If she refuse to take treatment, it is good for you to decide to send her to the mental hospital in hougang for professional consultation and treatment. I think her case is not that serious, there is hope

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will do that if she is very violent or threatened to harm herself. But psychologically it is very damaging. What will happen is that they will give a heavy dose of sedative and then they will leave her alone. There are further real life stories i can tell but not in public. You can make your guesses. That is why I do not advocate such a behaviour.

I know it is a trying period. And you are probably at your wits end.

No one will want to admit that they have a problem. Just tell her it is diagnosed as depression and to cure it, need professional help. All of you will accompany her. The stigma of IMH is still too great. Go to the polyclinic. Ask them for a referral to a psychotherapist at NUH.

She may feel that once she leave the house she will not be able to come back. If so, you must give her the reassurance.

The best is still the private doctors, if it is affordable. If so, try the psychologists first. There are some good ones at Camden Centre. Let them try to resolve it without medication. Medication brings its own set of problems. Only when the psychologist decide, then see a psychatrist. Or you might start with a psychotherapist.

If still cannot, bring her to the GP near your house. She should have no problem going there. There are some mild sedatives available but note that certain drugs are contraindicative and the GP should know what the earlier doctor had diagnosed. Whaqtever medication that is given, you must hold onto it and not let her handle it.

Are you a christian? If so, call your pastor.

Last edited:

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya it is also another alternative. Whatever the case, it is best you send her for professional consultation and treatment, whatever the decision, it is for her own good.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Thanks.

IMH?? are you crazy? Why spend so much money? They'll shock her blanes with electricity...or give her some pills, all these merely suppresses her problems....they will not cure her...

If you want some real healing, bring her to Church lah, God is expert in fixing this kinda of things....it's free some more and it works! But you must have faith though...let the Holy Spirit fills her, and drive out the Satanic Manifestations...

I say again, it's free, unlike those money grabbing SATANIC mediums..

Seriously i ain't kidding, anybody who play play around with another person's life will be condemned eternally.

Last edited:

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMH?? are you crazy? They'll shock her blanes with electricity...will make it much worse...

Bring her to Church lah, God is expert in fixing this kinda of things....

Don'y wayang here .... have you had your fix yet ?? You druggie boy ??:eek:

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMH?? are you crazy? Why spend so much money? They'll shock her blanes with electricity...or give her some pills, all these merely suppresses her problems....they will not cure her...

You watched movies too much. IMH has the professionally certified and trained doctors and nurses that specialized in helping and tackling these problems. From what bro limpeh said, his sis conditions is not that bad and can be corrected effectively by them.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want some real healing, bring her to Church lah, God is expert in fixing this kinda of things....it's free some more and it works! But you must have faith though...let the Holy Spirit fills her, and drive out the Satanic Manifestations...

I say again, it's free, unlike those money grabbing SATANIC mediums..

Seriously i ain't kidding, anybody who play play around with another person's life will be condemned eternally.

Go church??? I think the conditions will become worse :rolleyes:
For 'Goat' sake, don't be a cheapo, see everything free only want go chup jit kar

limpeh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

thanks for the advice. I believe her condition is very very bad. She has been diagnosed with the psychosis since 4 years ago. She has been given medication, but she refuses to take them or admit the problem. Through these 4 years, I can see that her condition is getting worse by the day.

Similar to people with such illness, she has been changing jobs until about 2 years ago where she totally become jobless. Always came home complaining she cannot get along with colleague or suspecting someone is sabotaging her.

And here's something which might surprise you all - she is a baptise christian. Used to go to Sunday church regularly until she drops out complaining that her cell group members are looking down on her etc....:confused: