• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Right to ban transgenders from clubs?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
20100506.063654_transgen.jpg

CLUB operators have a right to turn away anyone who wishes to enter their clubs as their premises are considered private, said lawyers who spoke to my paper.

Once let in, the guest should not be asked to leave on the basis of his or her gender as he or she has already paid the cover charge, said Mr Kelvin Lee, a director of Samuel Seow Law Corporation.

If the management insists that the guest must leave, he has the right to ask for a refund for his cover charge, said Mr Lee.

This comes in the wake of an incident last Thursday night, when a transgender patron at China One, a club at Clarke Quay, was told to leave.

Transgender Marla Bendini (real name Bendini Junior Ong), 24, who is studying art, design and media at Nanyang Technological University, shared his side of the story yesterday.

He had gone to China One to support three female classmates from pole-dancing school Acro Polates, who were performing for ladies' night.

Mr Bendini was the only transgender among a group of friends and was let in without any hassle.

During a 40-minute break, a bouncer told him to step outside the club, where a manager would speak to him. He waited for several minutes, but no one turned up. He decided to return to the club, but a bouncer tried to prevent him from entering.

Mr Bendini asked why he was not allowed in, but the bouncer said he did not know.

The student went in anyway and his friends told him they were informed by the club manager that he was not welcome.

He decided to leave and, as he was going out, he heard Lawrence, the club manager, yelling at the staff for letting him in.

Mr Bendini revealed that when he visited China One last September, Lawrence had asked him to leave, saying: "You should know why."

The student added: "It was only after I replied several times I had no idea why that he told me it was because I am a transgender.

my paper contacted China One yesterday, but Lawrence could not be reached.

However, in a New Paper report yesterday, Lawrence said: "You have to realise the problems (of letting transgenders in). For example, are they supposed to use the male or female toilets?"

Mr Bendini said: "If clubs don't welcome us, they should put a sign on the door. It should not be on a case-by-case basis."

Lawyer Bryan Tan, a director at Keystone Law Corporation, also advised clubs to put up a sign, saying: "While this is not a must, it will be better to let someone know if he or she is welcome or not. This helps prevent embarrassing situations."

Nightspots Butter Factory and Zouk told my paper that they treat their transgender guests the same as they would other patrons.

Mr Adrian Wee, marketing manager at Butter Factory, said that in situations such as ladies' night, guests are given privileges according to the gender on their identity cards.

Transgender guests are also advised to use a toilet for the disabled, but this is not enforced as long as there are no complaints from other guests.

Mr Bendini's experience led to at least 500 transgender people coming together to rally against discrimination.

Yesterday, they launched a campaign called Sisters in Solidarity, and are organising activities such as a petition and an art exhibition to educate the public about transgenders.

[email protected]

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u ask me, then all ah gwas along with pimps (be it internet version like CB Samleong or real life version like CB tonychat) should be eradicated.:cool:

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u ask me, then all ah gwas along with pimps (be it internet version like CB Samleong or real life version like CB tonychat) should be eradicated.:cool:

TOTALLY agree...they should be stoned to death and hung for all to see...bloody weirdos

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i doubt his (or her) story...surely he must have done some nuisance before in the club that render his presence unwelcomed.

Otherwise, if you behave yourself, you shld be okay. Regarding toilet, obviously she (or he) shld be using the ladies-simple reason, he disappear inside the cubicle ...if i see her beside me at the urinal i will puke and probably my urine will backflow into my system causing bodily damage.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tis 1, ah? ... :confused:

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/iVsghPCR6as&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed>​

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Club scare there will be solicitation, spoil the club image. Furthermore police very strict on these in the past few months.

TNP(Tua Neh Pau)

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure many straight guys would avoid going to club that are known to have "Ah Gua". Others may misunderstood them to be gays...

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apart from the issues of restrooms, which actually is a minor one, the club operators do not want a situation where transgender wannabes "dress-up" to gain free entry / drinks during ladies nites. I've seen many of them who can really pack the free booze due biological diff between males / females. Furthermore, precedence will attract the ones that will gain entry to solicit - never good for business and defeats the purpose of having ladies nites. Strictly business decision, thats all.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cross dressers not allowed. Clubs have to right to ban people. Just like if you piss of the Border Agents, they may not allow you in.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are all mess up people . And should not have been treated ordinarily .

In fact transgen should book in and out of bungkok green .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There were nitespots, clubs etc and transgenders long for decades. They know how to handle one another and both sides generally know the protocol.When it comes to ladies nite, some treat them as females and some don't. The community is small enough to know what the deal is.

Its no different to some clubs that handle lesbians and those that handle the gays. Its the same the world around. Its niche play and the type of crowd you want to service. There are even clubs that turn away people that don't fit their profile. Nothing to do with Transgenders boozing on free drinks or toilets.

Apart from the issues of restrooms, which actually is a minor one, the club operators do not want a situation where transgender wannabes "dress-up" to gain free entry / drinks during ladies nites. I've seen many of them who can really pack the free booze due biological diff between males / females. Furthermore, precedence will attract the ones that will gain entry to solicit - never good for business and defeats the purpose of having ladies nites. Strictly business decision, thats all.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My take is that the operator of the nite club fear that the transgender will solicit for business from other guests which will give the club a bad name. Look at Orchard Towers, transgender are most welcome there and it's well known as long as both parties are happy...:wink:

jw5

Loyal
i doubt his (or her) story...surely he must have done some nuisance before in the club that render his presence unwelcomed.

Otherwise, if you behave yourself, you shld be okay. Regarding toilet, obviously she (or he) shld be using the ladies-simple reason, he disappear inside the cubicle ...if i see her beside me at the urinal i will puke and probably my urine will backflow into my system causing bodily damage.
It was interesting that he (she) said that if they are not welcome, there should be a sign outside and it should not be on a case-by-case basis.
Like you said, it could be precisely because it was a "case-by-case" situation that he (she) was not allowed in.
Perhaps there's something he (she) is not telling.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

During my bartending days in one of the hottest club in town, i've had my share of transgender regulars and despite what your common sense and experience showed you, my experience with them showed me that they are far more generous than other straight partygoers. They pay for their own damn drinks, they tip nicely and usually stick with their own kind unless someone wants to pick them up, which suprisingly is quite a lot!

I think this is an isolated incident and that the ah gua who was banned from re-entering probably made a nuisance of himself and the management decided that his business was not worth the trouble he can cause. We are not hearing the business side of the story yet and this is Singapore, don't always believe what the papers want to tell you and report. It takes two hands to clap and just one to slap. :biggrin: