• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SGs think highly of oppo's chances in GE

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - SGs think highly of oppo's chances in GE</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt_89 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>8:54 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>31675.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Singaporeans think highly of opposition’s chances in next general election

April 14th, 2010 | Author: admin

http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/04/14/singaporeans-think-highly-of-oppositions-chances-in-next-general-election/
Written by Our Correspondent
Singaporeans generally think highly of the chances of the opposition in the next general election, according to a discussion thread posted on Yahoo news.
The thread asked Singaporeans what they think of the chances of the opposition in the next general election and if they can make a difference.
More than 100 comments have been posted so far, the majority of which are supportive of the opposition and express hope for greater opposition presence in parliament to check on the PAP.

Lord Dan felt that the opposition stands a greater chance due to better quality candidates:
“Stronger chance as compared to previous elections. The number of top quality opposition party candidates are on an increase and they have excellent academic qualifications and career path. On paper, they can easily match the new candidates that PAP dished out on the previous elections. Obviously, the OP to watch will be the Reform Party and the Workers Party but with rumours that Mr. Chiam See Tong will be “coming out” of Potong Pasir to lead a GRC fight this will be an interesting election. Here’s a toast to a 2 party goverment. We badly need an alternative voice in Parliament.”

Wind S concurred:
“Very much higher. They will win a few seats. As recently the way the government pass law and suggestion to solve problems are not so advisable such as against the loan shark and the borrower. The health benefeit and suggest singaporean to go to Malaysia for treatment. Asking for trouble to go to Malaysia for treatment as if there are any problem who will take action against the hospital Singapore Government or the poor patient. Even we can use medisave so what anytime there will be also all sort of charges the malaysian can come up with. Singapore hospital are build by Singaporean we want to use our own hospital at a higher subsidy not going oversea as we trust our government. Malaysia forget it remember the water contract remember the 20 ringit petrol.”

Outcast claimed that many young Singaporeans are getting peeved with the PAP:
“Frankly , after going through so many forums. I can see and sense many younger adults are really piss with our current government. Yes, we will be seeing more oppositions winning and gaining Singaporeans support. For sure I will be voting for the opposition in my area Choa Chu Kang. I strongly believe even with PAP out the opposition can still run the country as all the infrstructure is already there only for them to fine tune it. Hopefully they will not be like the PAP asking for million dollar pay and to bear in mind work for the country and people not for yourself.”

jul nwc is obviously angry with the PAP:
“I would say the opposition chances are going to be good. We are seeing a better crop of candidates interested in politics this time round. Not that they are going to be better than the ruling party since they are not a pr oven lot but it is because of the frustration felt by the ordinary folk today . I really wonder if the ruling party knows the ground well. they are too high up to feel us ordinary wage owners get affected by some of their policies. Top of the list is this FT issue and Singapore is really getting very very crowded. In the past I had without hesitation voted for them,. But this time I will give the vote to the opposition even if they cannot be a good alternative. Its the only way we can seriously show our displeasure for what had been thrust down our throats.”

The above comments are unlikely to be taken seriously by PAP leaders. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong hit out at netizens lately for “astroturfing” to exert pressure on his administration to make some policy changes in their interest.
PAP Minister Lim Swee Say told Singaporeans last month in Parliament that the PAP is “deaf to all criticisms”.
With public sentiments against the PAP at an all-time high, the opposition is expected to make significant gains in the next general election including winning the GRC.
The PAP could be in for a rude shock when the time comes as many of its leaders appear to be still sleeping high up in their ivory tower and unable or unwilling to appreciate the sentiments on the ground.
The next election may be the last chance for Singaporeans to reclaim ownership of their nation after which they will surely be relegated to being second-class citizens with the number of foreigners the PAP is mass importing to replace them.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Know this guy who earns his living from working on government contracts. Told me he damn tulan PAP but come election time he bo bian but to vote for them because he worried he may end up losing all his business. A pragmatic man or what?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Know this guy who earns his living from working on government contracts. Told me he damn tulan PAP but come election time he bo bian but to vote for them because he worried he may end up losing all his business. A pragmatic man or what?

This is called sinkie selfish coward. You have a very good example for this. Thank you.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

don't blame him at all.

But I find it hard to reason with those low to mid level civil servants who are scared to vote for oppositions because PAP will know and they are scared to lose their jobs

The above man could lose his government contracts and livelihood if PAP are not the govt but not those civil servants. Their jobs are still there. PAP will not know who voted for whom and did our oppositions say if they are the govt, they will reduce the number of civil servants by 10%, 20%...

so those civil servants really talk cock...

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't blame him at all.

But I find it hard to reason with those low to mid level civil servants who are scared to vote for oppositions because PAP will know and they are scared to lose their jobs

The above man could lose his government contracts and livelihood if PAP are not the govt but not those civil servants. Their jobs are still there. PAP will not know who voted for whom and did our oppositions say if they are the govt, they will reduce the number of civil servants by 10%, 20%...

so those civil servants really talk cock...

are u sure about that?
in case u didn't notice, each voting ticket have a serial number.
when u go to polling station, u present ur ic.
the nice lady checks and tick ur name on the register as proof that u voted.
then she will write the voting ticket serial number against ur name.
can't trace? think again

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be new to this forum. This point has been rebutted over and over again. The serial number is needed to prevent fraud in case of ballot box stuffing, you twit. It will only be used in case of a fraud investigation to tally with the voter list but ordinarily all voting slips will be destroyed after a statutory number of years, witnessed by responsible parties. So quit spreading rumours and fear. The vote is secret and safe.

are u sure about that?
can't trace? think again

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
are u sure about that?
can't trace? think again

[COLOR="_______"]Unless a person is borned withut gut. Who cares what they did during election, they want to take my photo and print on ballot paper also can. No sweat for me. All I care about is that Singapore is my country, PAP is not my country and I don't owe them anything since they have taken away too much from us. PAP is the one to be afraid of us, not vice versa.[/COLOR]

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
[COLOR="_______"]Unless a person is borned withut gut. Who cares what they did during election, they want to take my photo and print on ballot paper also can. No sweat for me. All I care about is that Singapore is my country, PAP is not my country and I don't owe them anything since they have taken away too much from us. PAP is the one to be afraid of us, not vice versa.[/COLOR]

i'm just implying that the whole election system is stupid. boundary lines, voting process, press coverage on campaigning, walkovers etc.

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well SAID!!

For the Love of Singapore an all .... let the Ballot Box do the talking.. when enough is ENOUGH.... though I believe the pragmatic Singaporean will not march the streets and blockade orchard road but I hope that each and every Singaporean will be cast that vote that rid Singaporeans of passive-ism and indifference towards politics.

Singapore must be first for Singaporean not their leaders. Leaders are only rewarded when they lead the people of greater heights and not the other way round that they will lead the people to greater heights if only their "leaders" are paid well.

Stop giving blank cheques to Leaders, expect them to earn it.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Would you then be kind enough to explain how the "inside source" claimed "70% of Malay voted for PAP in most constituencies last GE"??? According to you even PAP themselves do not know who voted for whom, yet you and your "inside source" are ready to tar and feather the Malay with unfounded accusations.

Refer to what you wrote yesterday:

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?p=443288#post443288

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be new to this forum. This point has been rebutted over and over again. The serial number is needed to prevent fraud in case of ballot box stuffing, you twit. It will only be used in case of a fraud investigation to tally with the voter list but ordinarily all voting slips will be destroyed after a statutory number of years, witnessed by responsible parties. So quit spreading rumours and fear. The vote is secret and safe.

and how are u suppose to know they did not use it for other purpose? who form the election commission? destroy after several YEARS, so during this period a lot of digging can be done. yes, serial number is needed, but have to record against voter's name?
who's twit now?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Agreed! What can they really take from me... I have nothing much to begin with :smile:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Would you then be kind enough to explain how the "inside source" claimed "70% of Malay voted for PAP in most constituencies last GE"??? According to you even PAP themselves do not know who voted for whom, yet you and your "inside source" are ready to tar and feather the Malay with unfounded accusations.

Refer to what you wrote yesterday:

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?p=443288#post443288

I asked a question which sampierre reply

Sideswipe,
I'm very CERTAIN that in every contested ward, at least 70% of the Malays voted PAP. Those Oppostion candidates who took part in the 2006 GE have all the answers you want. Please ask Mr Goh Meng Seng for the details. :smile:

I thought you always believed majorities of Malays voted for PAP so what's the problem?

How did our oppositions know the 70% figures? - from the GE ballot box counting which you know the voting results of HDB blocks in precinct levels. It's still not possible to deduce which race voted for whom and the percentages this way.
scientific opinion survey which they do in other countries?

I do believe that figure, 70% is reasonable but I don't know how they arrived at that figures.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you are saying that just because you dont know if they used it for other pruposes, then it must be true that they use it for other purposes? What kind of logic is that?

and how are u suppose to know they did not use it for other purpose? who form the election commission? destroy after several YEARS, so during this period a lot of digging can be done. yes, serial number is needed, but have to record against voter's name?
who's twit now?

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you are saying that just because you dont know if they used it for other pruposes, then it must be true that they use it for other purposes? What kind of logic is that?

and how do you know they don't? with the powers they had, you think not this possibility? any problem with not indicating the serial number against the voters name?

Isn't the Election Dept suppose to be fair and impartial, and instil some confidence to the voters rather than fear?

during my last, only voting chance, one party is not capable while the other is not trustworthy, guess how i vote?

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
and how do you know they don't? with the powers they had, you think not this possibility?

No they don't, they wont and they cant!

The reason is - your vote is secret. If ever they or anyone were to know, then they can be sued!

Six months after the elections, if there are no protests or disputes, all ballots will be destroyed. Only a High Court judge can order the ballot boxes to be taken out, destroyed or be counted again. All ballot boxes are taken out of the vaults in the High Court and burnt.

ILaidLeiaB4Solo

Alfrescian
Loyal
No they don't, they wont and they cant!

The reason is - your vote is secret. If ever they or anyone were to know, then they can be sued!

Six months after the elections, if there are no protests or disputes, all ballots will be destroyed. Only a High Court judge can order the ballot boxes to be taken out, destroyed or be counted again. All ballot boxes are taken out of the vaults in the High Court and burnt.

they can be sued? anyone done that to them and succeeded before?

high court judge? look around this forum......lots of kangaroo hopping around....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans who're optimistic about Opposition in next GE

Surveyor : Hey, mister, who do you think?

Mister : Of course I vote Opposition. HDB flat price so high, how to buy? Me and my fiancee wait until die also hard to buy.

Surveyor : But if your constituency walkover, how?

Mister : Huh? What's a walkover?

Surveyor : It means nobody constest your constituency and government automatically wins.

Mister : Where got such thing? Election sure got contest.

Surveyor : How old are you sir? Have you voted before?

Mister : I'm 40 years old and have never voted before, because always no election in my constituency.

Surveyor : I think you mean no contest, walkover?

Mister : No no no. I mean no election. Very unfair. Government must organise election in my constituency too.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
I asked a question which sampierre reply

I thought you always believed majorities of Malays voted for PAP so what's the problem?

How did our oppositions know the 70% figures? - from the GE ballot box counting which you know the voting results of HDB blocks in precinct levels. It's still not possible to deduce which race voted for whom and the percentages this way.
scientific opinion survey which they do in other countries?

I do believe that figure, 70% is reasonable but I don't know how they arrived at that figures.

My stand has always been that Malay and other minority not support Ah Beng parties such as WP/NSP and instead boycott. Deny them the ability to meet the eligibility requirements to even contest the GRC.

Your completely baseless and unfounded allegation that 70% of Malay voted for the PAP is not unlike your comrade Goh Meng Seng's racist rant -"minorities are left behind as a result of dysfunctional families".

The PAP would not have instituted racial ethnic quotas limiting the political clout of the minorities if they felt, minorities like 70% of Malay were indeed voting PAP. The repressive ethnic quota is something Goh Meng Seng said he'll like to keep should NSP one day become the govt.

Scientific methods in polls work in countries like USA as they have for example the Italian American community, the Blacks, Hispanics, American Chinese communities. You can do sampling, but in Singapore's case every Ah Beng polled by the PAP would also say they voted PAP. The result is meaningless.

The scientific method will not work in Singapore because of the HDB racial quota in place. Unless you have a couple of blocks where 70% of the residents are Malay, then perhaps you can reasonably conclude that 70% voted for PAP.

Given all this, I cannot like you deduce how the 70% Malay vote for the PAP was arrived except to say the figure is completely bogus with the sole purpose of levelling the blame on the Malay minority.