• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore and Malaysia to build wellness centre in Iskandar Malaysia

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Updated: 07/04/2010
Singapore and Malaysia to build wellness centre in Iskandar Malaysia
@Copyright MediaCorp

4B70EF8C8A47F8EBF4ECCBE64530B6.jpg

Singapore and Malaysia have agreed to set up a wellness centre as part of an iconic economic project in Iskandar Malaysia.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak revealed this to journalists at the Foreign Correspondents Association dinner last night.

Saifulbahri Ismail with more :

The idea of an iconic economic project was mooted in May last year by the Prime Ministers of Singapore and Malaysia.

It's a showcase of the commitment to build a strong, productive and enduring relationship.

A work group was formed to study the joint development.

Giving details for the first time on the project, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said it will be in the form of a wellness centre :

"We have offered areas about 500 acres for that. But we've not concluded it yet. So, that's a subject of intense discussion with Singapore."

Mr Najib added that private education provider Raffles Education will set up a university in Iskandar Malaysia.

He described this as another breakthrough for the development in the southern state of Johor.

The university will be implemented in three phases with an initial enrolment of about five thousand students within its first five years.

Mr Najib said the application has already been made to the Ministry of Higher Education to establish the university.

Bilateral relations between Singapore and Malaysia are also more positive now, said Mr Najib.

There has been more engagement and discussions, and he looks forward to better integration.

Mr Najib also responded to a question on whether a re-merger of both countries is possible :

"I think realistically, I cannot see that happening. I think both countries have taken different paths. It would be too traumatic to try to have a political re-unification. But I would like to see deeper economic integration between Malaysia and Singapore, and I would like to see good relations between our two countries."

Mr Najib and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong are scheduled to meet for a retreat in Singapore next month, to further improve bilateral relations.

On the domestic front, Mr Najib defended the need for Malaysia to have a New Economic Model.

The Model which he announced last week aims to implement the pro-Malay policy in a fairer and more transparent manner.

He admitted it's an ambitious plan, but added it's not insurmountable.

The Malaysian Prime Minister said the time is right for the country to embark on massive transformations.